• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

So I know we are still really early in terms of the device being out there, but does anyone have any further info re: podcasts on the Watch without being tethered to a phone? Someone mentioned Pocket Casts and Overcast working on support, but I can't find that info on any of their sites.

I was wondering the same thing. I absolutely adore Pocket Casts, but I was kind of surprised there's no watch version of the app. It's funny, I came into work this morning with my new watch and the first thing two different coworkers asked me about is if you need to be tethered to the phone to listen to music or podcasts. It's obviously something people really care about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was wondering the same thing. I absolutely adore Pocket Casts, but I was kind of surprised there's no watch version of the app. It's funny, I came into work this morning with my new watch and the first thing two different coworkers asked me about is if you need to be tethered to the phone to listen to music or podcasts. It's obviously something people really care about.

I think pocket casts are looking at a workaround because I don't think Apple allows third parties to sync data to the watch. Not sure what they could do though.

I often go for a walk at lunchtime and would like to be able to do that without my phone (especially if messaging and calls can still work if I have wifi nearby)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When the watch is just sitting idle on my wrist and I'm listening to music, it would be nice for the Digital Crown to control volume. Play/pause my headphones can handle but they don't do volume

SuperPac

Go request it as a feature! http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'd be surprised if they don't add this to Watch OS 4. Or maybe let you do it with Apple's own Podcasts app before that.

Carlisle

Go request it as a feature! http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'd be surprised if they don't add this to Watch OS 4. Or maybe let you do it with Apple's own Podcasts app before that.

Waiting until next year's major OS update for such a simple and basic feature is insane. It's gotta be in the 3.1 patch they're working on and should to be out by the end of the month. Streaming podcasts is not a tentpole feature.

I'm sure there's a good reason that a year and a half and 2 OS updates later it's still not there, but it's got to be right around the corner at this point.

When the watch is just sitting idle on my wrist and I'm listening to music, it would be nice for the Digital Crown to control volume. Play/pause my headphones can handle but they don't do volume

If you open the music app, the crown does control volume, but the app needs to be on the screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you open the music app, the crown does control volume, but the app needs to be on the screen.

Hmm. Screen also needs to be on. But then I could blindly tilt my wrist and then start twiddling. Although i have it set to revert to watch face after a short time.

Nearly - would be nice to add this as I don't think the crown is used at other times

Edit: forgot about time travel. Still, would like the option

Carlisle

Oh man, my S2 is arriving tomorrow! About to go on my last run with my phone since I take Tuesdays off. Then it's wireless and unencumbered from here on out.

Animator

I think I am going to pick up a s1 today from apple store and give it a test while I wait for s2's to arrive in store.

Also can someone tell me how (if) apple watch works with weight lifting gym workouts? Is there a way it tracks reps and stuff?

Tobor

Well, I got the Series 1. :)

E52B389C-8F14-42F3-BE50-DA4B50E53BF2_zpsficn0fmd.jpg

Silver aluminum S1 with the XL black sport band. I think it looks good on my giant wrists!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone with a stainless steel series0 gotten a good chance to compare the force of the haptic feedback with the series2?

I am still a bit surprised they haven't allowed us to customize the vibrations more. I still find the text alerts on my watch to be too soft even with prominent turned on. About the only time I am guaranteed to notice it is if I am sitting at a computer or at rest. But during my day to day when I'm running around and doing stuff with my hands I only notice them maybe half of the time.

Whats strange is the alert of low power or even the email tip-tap-tap is much more noticeable. When I play with the feedback strength slider in settings and repeatedly hammer the + button those taps are very strong as well.

I see some bloggers talking about how the stainless steel case dampens the sensation which I am sure is true, but if Apple would allow us to customize the feedback a little more it would go a long way.

Now that I'm typing this I remember something about allowing the watch to replicate custom alerts you have set on the iPhone. Is this true? Maybe I'm just imagining that.

Tobor

Is that the 38mm? If so, why?

No, that's the 42mm. He just has gigantic wrists.

Well damn! They need a 46mm for you giant wrist folk!

Hahaha. If they made a 46mm I'd have bought it no question.

The good news is that the XL band fits great. I'm on the fourth pin and it's super comfortable. Using the L band that comes with the watch I'm on the very last pin and it's not comfortable.

So kudos to Apple for having options for us giants. I do wish they had more color options than black and white, but the black looks good!

jts

...hate me...
I always hated this flow:

"hey Siri send message to XXX saying YYY"

"would you like me to send this message?" and there's only a button saying DON'T SEND

You can't tap on the message to send it, and there's not a, you know, SEND button.

For a long time I had no idea how to move forward from there. Then it hit me: I long press the digital crown to invoke Siri again and say "send it". Is that really the only way? It's so annoying. Instead of a simple tap, it's a long press, followed by a brief moment waiting for Siri to be ready, say it, wait some more, get sent confirmation (if nothing gone bad meanwhile).

Hoo-doo

Banned

"would you like me to send this message?" and there's only a button saying DON'T SEND

You can't tap on the message to send it, and there's not a, you know, SEND button.

For a long time I had no idea how to move forward from there. Then it hit me: I long press the digital crown to invoke Siri again and say "send it". Is that really the only way? It's so annoying. Instead of a simple tap, it's a long press, followed by a brief moment waiting for Siri to be ready, say it, wait some more, get sent confirmation (if nothing gone bad meanwhile).

Doesn't Siri just listen after she says it's ready to be sent? You don't have to activate Siri again. Just say 'send'.

At least, that's how it works on iPhone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

You can just tap the crown and it sends. Also if you just leave it at that screen it sends automatically after a second or two. I think that's supposed to be a brief window to proofread it.

DarkJC

Yeah, the whole point is that it will automatically send that message unless you specifically take action to stop it. It actually reduces the steps you need to take.

edit: If you actually read the message, its not asking you if you want her to send it, it says something like "Here's the message I'm sending"

br3wnor

You can just tap the crown and it sends. Also if you just leave it at that screen it sends automatically after a second or two. I think that's supposed to be a brief window to proofread it.

Thank you, I've always reactivated Siri and said "send", feel like a dumbass now.

Guess Who

Banned
One minor change I really appreciate in WatchOS 3: telling Siri to start a timer no longer opens the Timer app, instead just showing the timer right in the Siri UI, which is way faster.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah ok she does say "I'll send this", sorry. But it really doesn't seem like it gets sent after a while. I mean I wait until the screen goes off and still doesn't get sent.

The crown press worked perfectly though, so thanks!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
But that notification shows up AFTER you press stop on the timer! It makes no sense!!
Could it be some sort of computer pathogen. Like a cold? Maybe something hidden in the satellite network?

Well I broke down and ordered the 42mm series 2. I had a $50 gift card so I got it from Best Buy, which means I won't have it anytime soon. Expected release date is still another week away. I just need to figure out what to do with my old one now.

BTails

Yeah, mine's in Anchorage as well. Delivery on Wednesday, I'm guessing it takes that one extra day to get to Canada (Despite being geographically closer to Alaska than the vast majority of the US).

If you guys have a delivery date that's a month out and don't want to wait, keep checking Target's website to see if a store by you gets stock. That's how I found mine. It seems like random Target stores are getting a trickle of stock. You don't have to wait till November!

If you guys have a delivery date that's a month out and don't want to wait, keep checking Target's website to see if a store by you gets stock. That's how I found mine. It seems like random Target stores are getting a trickle of stock. You don't have to wait till November!

I did that and couldn't fine one in Utah that had it. I'll keep checking though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Mine is still on 'preparing shipment'. Date is still tomorrow, expecting it to switch to 'shipped' later tonight.

Hype.

Animator

Is there a way I can remove watch faces? Don't like scrolling through 10 useless watch faces to get to one I like.

edit: nvm found it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has the twitter app been improved? If you tap a twitter notification on watchOS3 does it open the full tweet in the twitter watch app?

Does transit app work quickly now, and with the GPS?

SuperPac

Mine is still on 'preparing shipment'. Date is still tomorrow, expecting it to switch to 'shipped' later tonight.

Hype.

In the meantime you can check to see if it's in your support profile - supportprofile.apple.com

Or, track it by reference # using your phone number as the reference and see if it's actually shipped (this works in the US anyway - not sure if it works elsewhere) - ups.com - track / track by reference.

That'll give you a better idea if it's actually shipped yet.

Hoping the 42 is good fit otherwise I'll be getting an s1 38 since I'm not waiting weeks for a replacement.

If you'd had an Apple Store nearby you could have gone in to try them on and then you'd have known for sure. Or, I think Target has display models too - you could at least hold your wrist up to those.

One minor change I really appreciate in WatchOS 3: telling Siri to start a timer no longer opens the Timer app, instead just showing the timer right in the Siri UI, which is way faster.

Hm that is not what I see, or at least not after 30 seconds or so. I use the timers often when I'm cooking. When I'd do "Siri, set a timer for 17 minutes" In watchOS 2, Siri would pull up the Timer app, and every time I raised my wrist the time left would be right there. But in watchOS 3, after the timer is started I see the Siri timer for little bit, but if I leave it for 30 seconds or so and wraist my wrist, I just see the clock face. In watchOS 2 I'd see the timer the whole time. So this change has really lessened the usefulness of timers on the Watch. This is with a series 0 watch.

Okay, I did my full swim workout today and can confirm that the Apple Watch counts a single length of the pool as lap. Knowing that and that all my sets need at least some repeated arm movement to register, it was much more successful than my initial test yesterday. It tracked all my laps without any issues and it even got the distance right. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Top Bottom