• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

mf.luder

Mine must've just gotten out of China in time. My box is in Anchorage right now and still on track to deliver tomorrow. C'mon UPS don't fail me now.

Mine arrived in anchorage today and then just recently arrived in Korea. Something fishy is going on.....

Animator

As someone who bought a s0 Apple Watch and returned it two days later thinking it is a piece of shit I am really enjoying the S1 Apple Watch. Will definitely be upgrading to the S2 for swimming but if you don't care about swimming highly recommend picking up a S1. It is pretty snappy.

One gripe still is the arm raise detection is still shit and the watch turns off too fast or doesn't come on even after adjusting all the possible settings.

The main thing about the Series 2 that makes me want it is the increased brightness. I never had an original AW, is the brightness on the series 0 and 1 even that much of a problem?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The main thing about the Series 2 that makes me want it is the increased brightness. I never had an original AW, is the brightness on the series 0 and 1 even that much of a problem?

My series 1 looks perfectly fine in direct sunlight.
I don't see it as as issue.

I live in an area with lots of sun and clear sunny days. I haven't had an issue looking at the a Series 1 face at all.

Guess Who

Banned

I have a steel, and in direct sunlight the original one can be a bit hard to read. But it's not as much of an issue on the aluminum due to the different glass used, from what I've heard.

In the meantime you can check to see if it's in your support profile - supportprofile.apple.com

Or, track it by reference # using your phone number as the reference and see if it's actually shipped (this works in the US anyway - not sure if it works elsewhere) - ups.com - track / track by reference.

That'll give you a better idea if it's actually shipped yet.

If you'd had an Apple Store nearby you could have gone in to try them on and then you'd have known for sure. Or, I think Target has display models too - you could at least hold your wrist up to those.
The 38 looks really small in person which is why I went 42.

subrock

Also what the heck is up with this?
CPtUUTu.jpg

looks like a key for a strings file that isn't being properly decoded.

If you are a guy that is taller than 5 feet then the 42mm is a no brainer. The 38mm looks whacky on guys.
Unless you have skinny wrists. The 42 looked too large on my wrist. Only real criticism I have of the 38 is the nylon band is short for me, but the watch face is the perfect size for my tastes.

Tyeforce

If anyone here's interested, I made an album of Super Smash Bros. images to use with the Photo Album Watch Face to make your own randomized Smash Bros. watch faces! You can get them from this shared iCloud album: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0P5Uzl7VCJvLE

Here are some example screenshots:
NxvuvLk.jpg
uNMf8zY.jpg
CXuIe4E.jpg

s3aGRSa.jpg
wGC1aKp.jpg
I0FU7LQ.jpg

W1LBhSs.jpg
S2spxHu.jpg
mhhY0Q7.jpg

And here's a video of the Watch Face in action: https://twitter.com/Tyeforce/status/778091566607036416

I'm loving my new Apple Watch Series 2, by the way! Been wanting an Apple Watch for awhile and finally got one when the Series 2 launched.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hm that is not what I see, or at least not after 30 seconds or so. I use the timers often when I'm cooking. When I'd do "Siri, set a timer for 17 minutes" In watchOS 2, Siri would pull up the Timer app, and every time I raised my wrist the time left would be right there. But in watchOS 3, after the timer is started I see the Siri timer for little bit, but if I leave it for 30 seconds or so and wraist my wrist, I just see the clock face. In watchOS 2 I'd see the timer the whole time. So this change has really lessened the usefulness of timers on the Watch. This is with a series 0 watch.

If you use timers a lot, can you set a timer complication, so you can see remaining time on the watch face? Also try kitchen timers which lets you have multiple timers running. I use it on iPhone and just found out it has an Apple Watch app

Edit: looking at those photo faces makes me want an analog one with complications. Then I could make an image that is the background to a rectangular watch face which is what I really want :)

If you use timers a lot, can you set a timer complication, so you can see remaining time on the watch face? Also try kitchen timers which lets you have multiple timers running. I use it on iPhone and just found out it has an Apple Watch app

Actually I just figured out the problem... if I don't tap on "Open Timer" after the Siri response, the Siri screen will eventually go away. But if I do tap, it opens app and seems to stay up like it did in watchOS 2. So basically don't depend on the Siri timer display.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Looking at the Watch app store, looks like there's a few of them, but most haven't been updated in a while. I hope the influx of new Watch owners spurs more development of apps.

pbsapeer

Banned
Fucking caved. There is some 42mm aluminium black in Liverpool store. Just ordered to pick up. Cba waiting for the Nike+

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm scared, friends.

It's 15:00 and my watch is still on 'preparing for shipment' with a delivery date of today.
It's not going to come today, is it. ;_;

Edit: PRAISE THE LORD IT GOT SHIPPED

Carlisle

I'm scared, friends.

It's 15:00 and my watch is still on 'preparing for shipment' with a delivery date of today.
It's not going to come today, is it. ;_;

Edit: PRAISE THE LORD IT GOT SHIPPED

That's still cutting it super close! Mine shipped Friday and it's getting here (east coast US) today. Granted it didn't leave Asia until yesterday... I guess UPS knows their shit. Great Circle Route ftw.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's still cutting it super close! Mine shipped Friday and it's getting here (east coast US) today. Granted it didn't leave Asia until yesterday... I guess UPS knows their shit. Great Circle Route ftw.

Mine missed today's window. Tomorrow it is.

Okay, I did my full swim workout today and can confirm that the Apple Watch counts a single length of the pool as lap. Knowing that and that all my sets need at least some repeated arm movement to register, it was much more successful than my initial test yesterday. It tracked all my laps without any issues and it even got the distance right. Overall I'm really happy with it.

That is good to hear. This is one of the main reasons I want to upgrade to series 2.

That is good to hear. This is one of the main reasons I want to upgrade to series 2.

Yeah, it was the deciding factor in my purchase. It's a good start but I'm hoping we see further improvements to the Swim workout from Apple and third party apps that go more in depth.

My watch delivers today. Ironically enough I won't be able to get until late tonight as I am doing group interval running tonight right after work (god help me, forecast high is 98 today with head index of 104+)

Carlisle

My watch delivers today. Ironically enough I won't be able to get until late tonight as I am doing group interval running tonight right after work (god help me, forecast high is 98 today with head index of 104+)

What a coincidence, my watch also arrives today but my running group meets tomorrow so no irony here: gonna work out quite well. It also isn't QUITE as hot here, but it's incredibly humid. Feels like an undersack outside.

Good luck on your last watch-less run!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lol right...

I guess you think Don Draper's 37mm Jaeger-LeCoultre looked "whacky" also

38mm is a classic size for men.
I would say fashion has changed. Everyone was wearing hats at that time too. Big watches were preferred choice for men for a long time now. I think smaller watches are slowly becoming en-vogue by men as well. Slowly. But smaller nowadays means 40mm. Smaller watches than that are still almost exclusively worn by very old men in my experience. Also, I would say that even though they won't spell it out, Apple is marketing 38mm watch more towards women. Modern Buckle being only available on it is a telltale sign.

All that fashion crap aside, my main problem with 38mm Apple Watch is that it's not any thinner than 42mm one. Therefore it looks even more bulbous due to smaller size.

Can't decide if I want to wait for the Nike+ watch or buy myself a regular series 2. I like the perforated bands and prefer the silver case - which I think looks better with the Nike band than with the standard white sport band. Silver case seems to be the way to go for use with a leather band during the day.

Anyone have a leather band for their space gray watch? Apple or aftermarket - I'm curious as to looks.

Animator

Don Draper didn't need to read anything but time on his watch. I am pretty sure if he had a smart watch he would have gone for the bigger size.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I would say fashion has changed. Everyone was wearing hats at that time too. Big watches were preferred choice for men for a long time now. I think smaller watches are slowly becomes en-vogue by men as well. Slowly. But smaller nowadays means 40mm. Smaller watches than that are still almost exclusively worn by very old men, in my experience. Also, I would say that even though they won't spell it out, Apple is marketing 38mm watch more towards women. Modern Buckle being only available on it is a telltale sign.

All that fashion crap aside, my main problem with 38mm Apple Watch is that it's not any thinner than 42mm one. There fore it looks even more bulbous due to smaller size.

That's what stood out to me at the store. The 42mm actually looked flatter in person because of the width/thickness ratios. I fully went into the store thinking i'd get the 38mm, but it simply looked like a ladies' watch on my wrist. And I don't have huge wrists at all. The 42mm felt right, and it doesn't remotely come off like a 'big watch' like some people say is in fashion right now.

The 42mm just looks way more natural on a regular man's wrist in my opinion. The fact that the screen is bigger and the battery lasts a lot longer is pure bonus.

The idea that the ultra-flat Don Draper watches are representative of how all modern watches must be styled and worn is laughable at best.

robotrock

Banned
So I've got a gripe with Watch OS3:

There aren't any play/pause controls for my iPhone? I know I can access the music app within the Watch to change the volume/pause for the music app, but there's no way I can pause the Podcasts app or Spotify??!?!?!

I'm heated.

There aren't any play/pause controls for my iPhone? I know I can access the music app within the Watch to change the volume/pause for the music app, but there's no way I can pause the Podcasts app or Spotify??!?!?!

I'm heated.
Use the Now Playing app to do that.

SuperPac

I'm heated.

Yes, there are. When you're playing music a "Now Playing" app will appear in your watch's app dock. Hit the side button and it'll be somewhere in there. I generally opt to keep that in the dock at all times and move it up to the first position so it's easily accessible by either a flick or a spin of the digital crown. Now Playing works with the podcasts app (or any podcast client, really) and Spotify. You can play, pause, skip forward/backward and adjust volume, generally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm heated.

Now playing will appear in dock when you're playing something and you can choose to keep it in the dock.

For pocketcasts it customises the now playing screen for rewind 10 seconds or forward 45. I expect other podcast apps are similar

Also as someone recently mentioned to me - when the now playing screen is on, the Digital Crown controls volume

robotrock

Banned
Use the Now Playing app to do that.

Yes, there are. When you're playing music a "Now Playing" app will appear in your watch's app dock. Hit the side button and it'll be somewhere in there. I generally opt to keep that in the dock at all times and move it up to the first position so it's easily accessible by either a flick or a spin of the digital crown. Now Playing works with the podcasts app (or any podcast client, really) and Spotify. You can play, pause, skip forward/backward and adjust volume, generally.
Now playing will appear in dock when you're playing something and you can choose to keep it in the dock.

For pocketcasts it customises the now playing screen for rewind 10 seconds or forward 45. I expect other podcast apps are similar
Oh god, thank you guys so much. Life savers.

pbsapeer

Banned
Anyone got any good tips / features for the watch? It's actually quite overwhelming and I feel I'm missing a lot. Thanks

I would say fashion has changed. Everyone was wearing hats at that time too. Big watches were preferred choice for men for a long time now. I think smaller watches are slowly becomes en-vogue by men as well. Slowly. But smaller nowadays means 40mm.

Yes, Don Draper's Memovox was reintroduced by Jaeger-LeCoultre at 40mm. Still smaller than 42, but an affordance to the trend of big watches.

My personal rule is, if you can't see your wrist when you wear a watch, it's too big.

The idea that the ultra-flat Don Draper watches are representative of how all modern watches must be styled and worn is laughable at best.

I didn't say that at all. I was just responding to a post that declared that the 38mm watch looks bad on men. Wear what you want.

pdk27

Man my tracking number is all kinds of screwed up now. It's left China, arrived in Alaska, arrived in Korea then left Korea twice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It was a problem on the steel model that had sapphire glass. Saphire was more reflective and it would make it difficult to see watch face in direct sunlight. Glass on the aluminum model was not as reflective, and the watch was visible just fine in sunlight, if a little washed out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I came home and did 6 minutes on the exercise bike to complete my exercise circle :p. Already had the stand and move circles done

TUSR

Banned
My order is being processed still, and I might switch to the 42mm watch when I get home tonight.

Edit: Cancelled and switched.

My order is being processed still, and I might switch to the 42mm watch when I get home tonight.

Mine too. I switched to the 38mm Stainless Steel Milanese Loop instead of the Link Bracelet (I just bought another third-party one from Amazon for a fraction of the price) and both it and the Link Bracelet one were processing with an expected delivery of a month from now. Hopefully the date is bumped up though.

EDIT: Oh actually are people investing in AppleCare+? I usually wouldn't for phones/iPads, but I'm wary not getting it for the Watch, mainly because of the risk of water damage (even though I know it is water proof to quite a high standard).

TUSR

Banned
Mine too. I switched to the 38mm Stainless Steel Milanese Loop instead of the Link Bracelet (I just bought another third-party one from Amazon for a fraction of the price) and both it and the Link Bracelet one were processing with an expected delivery of a month from now. Hopefully the date is bumped up though.

EDIT: Oh actually are people investing in AppleCare+? I usually wouldn't for phones/iPads, but I'm wary not getting it for the Watch, mainly because of the risk of water damage (even though I know it is water proof to quite a high standard).
I buy AppleCare+ on all my devices.

Spyware

Yay, they finally shipped my order (two steel 42mm, multiple docks and bands). Says it will arrive in two weeks. Hooopefully it will be faster but at least I know it's on the move now.

So as I've mentioned and as you guys and gals have helped me with, I'm starting to think something might be wrong with my Series 1 watch. This afternoon it registered with me as having a heart rate in the 40s which feels entire wrong since it was 11 am, I was visiting someone in a hospital, and sort of soothingly rocking myself in their wheelchair; even when I sleep my heart rate doesn't get that low.

That, and I'm getting very weak haptic feedback. there is basically no change from medium to high, and priority is the only one i really feel.

I got this last friday. I didn't get AppleCare. how much time do i have to bring it in and see if they can replace it or something?

Top Bottom