• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Wow! Best new feature of Series 2 watch: While the screen is off, you can turn the crown to gradually turn the screen on. How was this not reported all over the place? This is the most natural, and most discrete way to check the time on the watch now, when you don't want to signal to everyone sitting around you that you're doing so.

This make so much sense that it always made me disappointed that Series 0 never got this feature (and it still doesn't have it despite latest OS). It's definitely a hardware exclusive feature to Series 2. Actually, someone should check if Series 1 has it, I can only confirm that S0 doesn't have this.

Cool feature, especially in dark settings like the theater

sikkinixx

I mucked with these at the Apple Store tonight. I kinda like the size of the38mm but my wife immediately said it was too small so I guess the 42mm will be the one. The extra battery life would be nice too. I tried on both the sport strap and the nylon one And I'm torn. I feel like the sport one will make my wrist sweat like a mofo but I like the look. And you can't buy the series one with the nylon strap right? But I could still get the series one plus the nylon strap for $70 less than a series two with just the nylon strap.

Figuring since this will end up being my first Apple Watch and I'm kinda sorta on the fence if it will stick long term I'll go series one and save the money. I'll never leave the phone at home and I don't swim hardly ever.

bionic77

I mucked with these at the Apple Store tonight. I kinda like the size of the38mm but my wife immediately said it was too small so I guess the 42mm will be the one. The extra battery life would be nice too. I tried on both the sport strap and the nylon one And I'm torn. I feel like the sport one will make my wrist sweat like a mofo but I like the look. And you can't buy the series one with the nylon strap right? But I could still get the series one plus the nylon strap for $70 less than a series two with just the nylon strap.

Figuring since this will end up being my first Apple Watch and I'm kinda sorta on the fence if it will stick long term I'll go series one and save the money. I'll never leave the phone at home and I don't swim hardly ever.
I thought the 38 actually looks nicer in person but I went larger because I wanted the bigger screen.

TUSR

Banned

Order a third party sport strap from Amazon.

<10$

Weevilone

My S2 locked up the other day. I checked the time and it was normal. About 10 minutes later I realized it didn't alert me with some texts, looked down to see the Apple logo on a black background. It never recovered so I had to reset it.

Hopefully I don't have to swap it.

pbsapeer

Banned
My S2 locked up the other day. I checked the time and it was normal. About 10 minutes later I realized it didn't alert me with some texts, looked down to see the Apple logo on a black background. It never recovered so I had to reset it.

Hope it doesn't happen again :(

Miyahon

Oh that sucks I've never had my Apple Watch lock up on me and I've been using mine for over a year now. Only thing for me recently was an odd issue where I could not activate Apple Pay at all. What fixed it was restarting the Apple Watch.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Buy the series 1 in 42mm and get a bunch of aftermarket straps.

38mm is too small for the average man's wrist and if you always have your phone near, the GPS really is wasted.

Shearie

Oh that sucks I've never had my Apple Watch lock up on me and I've been using mine for over a year now. Only thing for me recently was an odd issue where I could not activate Apple Pay at all. What fixed it was restarting the Apple Watch.

When I was on one of the watchOS 2 updates before the last one, mine would lock up with the screen off every once in awhile and the only way to reset it was to hold down both of the side buttons. Ever since the last watchOS 2 update and watchOS 3 currently, it hasn't locked up since.

JDeluis

That's correct. The Series One is only available with the sports strap. The First generation sport was available with the nylon strap out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5eVsRMb0dQ

I bought the Series one and I just ordered the Apple nylon strap because the aftermarket versions have mixed reviews.

Two Words

I recently got an S2. I've noticed that notifications that I handle from my watch are not dismissed from my phone. So what typically happens is that I'll handle my notifications on my watch and when I finally get back to my phone, I'm greeted with all those same notifications. Some research makes it seem like that is just how it works. For real?

pbsapeer

Banned
I recently got an S2. I've noticed that notifications that I handle from my watch are not dismissed from my phone. So what typically happens is that I'll handle my notifications on my watch and when I finally get back to my phone, I'm greeted with all those same notifications. Some research makes it seem like that is just how it works. For real?
Not from what I'm seeing. If I don't clear them from my Watch they're still there though

TUSR

Banned
Finally.

Preparing for shipment.

Anyone have a rough ballpark estimate on how long it took to go from preparing for shipment to shipped?

border

How to I stop/start/fast-forward podcast playback using my watch?

I miss Glances very much! Using the Apple Music app only seems to allow control of music tracks.

Ristlager

Is my battery shit or is the Series 1 this bad? I bought the watch on release, opting not to go with the Series 2, because I didn't need GPS and the extra waterproofing. But I often have to use the savings mode at around 22 o'clock. I have turned of almost everything that uses battery, and I do not use the apps at all, it is only email/text notification and looking at what the time is.

something happened to the charging this night, so I only had 46% when I put it on this morning, and now I am left with 16% (5 hours) and I have not used the watch at all. Two or three notifications is the only thing.

The series 2 has a bigger battery, is it better or is there something wrong with my battery? Nice if anyone who has the series 1 also can chime in.

mrkgoo

Is my battery shit or is the Series 1 this bad? I bought the watch on release, opting not to go with the Series 2, because I didn't need GPS and the extra waterproofing. But I often have to use the savings mode at around 22 o'clock. I have turned of almost everything that uses battery, and I do not use the apps at all, it is only email/text notification and looking at what the time is.

something happened to the charging this night, so I only had 46% when I put it on this morning, and now I am left with 16% (5 hours) and I have not used the watch at all. Two or three notifications is the only thing.

The series 2 has a bigger battery, is it better or is there something wrong with my battery? Nice if anyone who has the series 1 also can chime in.

Sounds like something is wrong. I have a series 0, and with doing nearly everything I want to do in a day, including multiple notifications, checking, etc, I typically have 30-50% by that time left.

Try off and on again, unpairing and repairing (restoring it), and the usual troubleshooting, beyond that take it to apple and see what they say.

hirokazu

Sounds like your battery is shit and you should get it exchanged. It should have a similar battery life to the S2.

The scribble text shockingly well
I'm surprised it hasn't been expanded system-wide. Maybe for watchOS 4.0...

I'm also surprised that they don't have Japanese handwriting support on any of their OSes after all this time.

I've come to the conclusion that assigning apps as static complications is not a great idea. I think we should be able to add multiple apps to each complication, and the complications should be contextual.

For instance, I usually use the Utility face and have the local weather displayed in the bottom complication. But I ordered some food from Postmates and would like to easily glance at the time until delivery. So now I need to set up a new face preset just to have the Postmates app down there. This does not seem like an elegant or maintainable solution. I'd much rather assign multiple apps to one complication and let watchOS figure out which data is most relevant at the moment. IOW, show the Postmates time remaining until it's delivered, then go back to the weather.

I'm also surprised that they don't have Japanese handwriting support on any of their OSes after all this time.

Hm...didn't they show off support for Chinese handwriting in Scribble during the keynote?

j-wood

It seems to completely vary. I bought a series 1 last week and have had great battery life, until today.

I have no idea what happened, but I took the watch off the charger at 6:30AM, and by 7PM I had 20 % left. I hadn't used the watch any more than usual (in fact even less, because i didn't go to the gym today), and on other nights by that time I usually still had 40ish % left.

mrkgoo

It seems to completely vary. I bought a series 1 last week and have had great battery life, until today.

I have no idea what happened, but I took the watch off the charger at 6:30AM, and by 7PM I had 20 % left. I hadn't used the watch any more than usual (in fact even less, because i didn't go to the gym today), and on other nights by that time I usually still had 40ish % left.

I've had that happen once i think. it's probably a rogue process that got stuck and ran the battery down or something.

Is it just me, or is the Overcast podcast Watch app really crappy? I can launch it and have it not load. Or, I have it load very slowly. Or, I can have it load, but pausing or any playback controls not work. And, if I try to launch it when nothing is playing, it doesn't even load or connect to the app on the phone.

I know Marco doesn't use his Apple Watch anymore, but it just seems so piss poor, and it is easily the worst Watch app I use. Why even ship it?

Is it just me, or is the Overcast podcast Watch app really crappy? I can launch it and have it not load. Or, I have it load very slowly. Or, I can have it load, but pausing or any playback controls not work. And, if I try to launch it when nothing is playing, it doesn't even load or connect to the app on the phone.

I know Marco doesn't use his Apple Watch anymore, but it just seems so piss poor, and it is easily the worst Watch app I use. Why even ship it?

it's super slow and garbage tier, i still use it...

Marco suppose to update the app when he gets his new watch...

it's super slow and garbage tier, i still use it...

Marco suppose to update the app when he gets his new watch...

I mean, it is mostly worthless to me. I have a podcast playing right now. I just tried to pause it, and I can't. I hit the button on the watch several times and it doesn't pause. Heck, it will even change the icon saying it is paused, but it keeps going! And the phone is two feet away from my wrist. It's terrible. It is, as you say, garbage tier. I don't know why I ever try to use it becaues it works less than 5% of the time (and yet he bitches about Siri and other Apple stuff that I have a great track record of working for me...)

But, glad he added ads to non-paying people! :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been over overcast for a while, generally speaking.
Before Overcast I was a huge fan of Castro and I think theres a new version of that..

Haven't switched yet because that'd require setup time but I think I just might

DarkJC

I mean, it is mostly worthless to me. I have a podcast playing right now. I just tried to pause it, and I can't. I hit the button on the watch several times and it doesn't pause. Heck, it will even change the icon saying it is paused, but it keeps going! And the phone is two feet away from my wrist. It's terrible. It is, as you say, garbage tier. I don't know why I ever try to use it becaues it works less than 5% of the time (and yet he bitches about Siri and other Apple stuff that I have a great track record of working for me...)

But, glad he added ads to non-paying people! :(

He IS working on a completely redone Watch app for watchOS 3. The current one hasn't been touched since watchOS 2 was released.

Also, you can use the "Now Playing" app in the dock to control Overcast to pause the audio much more reliably in the meantime.

edit: I'll also say, though I barely use the app, that I haven't had as much trouble as you. It usually loads and connects just fine, but its slow.

Giolon

If you use the default podcast app can you control it etc through the watch? Or load episodes onto it?

Yes, you can control Podcasts via the Now Playing watch app with basic controls (pause, +/- 15 sec skip, volume).

No, you can't load episodes onto it unless you add the podcasts to your "Music" library and put them on a sync'd playlist, AFAIK.

Love how on OS 3 when you want to pause a workout you just need to slide over instead of having to hard press all the time which worked half the time

If you want to pause workouts with even less effort you can just hit the side-button and crown together, as if you're taking a screenshot. You get Taptic feedback confirming that the workout has been paused and restarted.

DirtyLarry

Was doing errands with my wife today. Had to go to Target for home supplies (yes, it was TP haha).
I had no idea Target starting selling Apple assecories. I really had no idea they sold the Apple Watch. Even more surprising, I saw a kiosk for the Apple Watch series 2. However the cabinet right next to it with product labels was completely empty. Still, I decided to ask if they actually had any Series 2 watches in stock. The one kid literally laughed at me and began started telling me how they sold out almost immediately. Another kid heard our conversation and stepped in to say that they actually got a few more in the other day but he was pretty sure they all were sold. Still he asked what model was I interested in and said he would check in the back.

Sure enough they had a single Space Gray 42mm left.

Seriously Target should not be selling Apple Watches as what happened next was 110% an impulse buy.

Needless to say, I now own an Apple Watch Series 2. I very well could have probably made due with Series 1, but fuck it, I will take the brighter screen and faster CPU (even though most tests had said it does not matter). Built in GPS is just the icing on the cake.

So the reason I am even posting.
Being new to Apple Watch and Watch OS3, I have a straight up question...
What apps, preferably with complications, do people consider must have?
I have found on my own Cheat Sheet, DataMan Next and Carrot Weather (although I have not committed to the latter just yet).

So what else do people recommend? I have this Watch now and want to take full advantage of it.

TIA for any suggestions.
DL

Seconding the recommendations for apps with complications. Right now have the activity face with weather, workout, and date on the screen. Just wondering any other must haves people have to make other faces with.

And still waiting for "Now Playing" to get a complication.

Giolon

Needless to say, I now own an Apple Watch Series 2. I very well could have probably made due with Series 1, but fuck it, I will take the brighter screen and faster CPU (even though most tests had said it does not matter). Built in GPS is just the icing on the cake.

Series 1 has the same CPU as the Series 2.

As far as Complications, I've just been using the Modular face (in multicolor!) with CalendarDate, Weather, Calendar, Activity, and Sundown/Sunrise.

So, MacID works pretty well for me as a substitute in case anyone wants an app to unlock their computer. Hell of a lot better than Knock that I tried a year or so ago.

Also, trying to use Overcast today and my Watch turned itself off. So, yeah....

Mine has been doing that with Overcast as well! Couple times in the last month. Marco should really update the damn thing

So guys, I've finally joined the club. Wife bought me a series 2 with black Milanese loop. Not bad for my 1st bday gift while married ;)

Loving this thing so far. Never owned an Apple Watch but been reading the fuck about it so I feel pretty familiar with what it can do. Hey Siri works SO much better on it, and controlling Netflix on the Apple TV, as well as lights, etc through HomeKit is so cool. I'm gonna need some time to really figure out the optimal settings, watch face, complications, etc but looks like there's a lot of flexibility. I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem so can take full advantage of all integration.

Anyway just thought I'd pop in and share my excitement, I'll prob go through some of this thread for some tips and recommendations.

So guys, I've finally joined the club. Wife bought me a series 2 with black Milanese loop. Not bad for my 1st bday gift while married ;)

Loving this thing so far. Never owned an Apple Watch but been reading the fuck about it so I feel pretty familiar with what it can do. Hey Siri works SO much better on it, and controlling Netflix on the Apple TV, as well as lights, etc through HomeKit is so cool. I'm gonna need some time to really figure out the optimal settings, watch face, complications, etc but looks like there's a lot of flexibility. I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem so can take full advantage of all integration.

Anyway just thought I'd pop in and share my excitement, I'll prob go through some of this thread for some tips and recommendations.

I absolutely love the Apple Watch. Is it rough around the edges? Yes. Very yes. But I still get tons of utility out of it, even if it's just simple notifications on my wrist. The legitimately it has help me be more active since a tie so easily into health kit. It may not be a bestseller, but it has a special place in my heart

My girlfriend made fun of me for having one, and then by the time series 2 was announced was pining for one

Top Bottom