• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Oh, there's no way to do it without an iPhone. Even that article uses your iPhone to actually get the podcasts on your Watch. The iPhone is the absolute only entry point and exit point for data with the Watch, there is no other way,

Through the Watch app on the phone you choose which playlists you want to sync onto the watch at any given time, so really what that method is doing is importing podcasts just as normal audio tracks into iTunes, which then get onto your iPhone to the Music app (not the Podcasts app) which you then sync to your Watch. iTunes will treat it as a song, not a podcast. It's a workaround in every sense of the word

Give up on the hope that you'll be able to sync directly from a Mac to the Watch. You can't.

Do you use Overcast, or any other Podcast app? Am I stuck syncing playlists of podcasts to my watch if I want to leave my phone at home for a run?

Allforce

I'm confused on just how useful this thing is if you're away from your phone. Like my wife goes to the gym and swims but never takes her phone with her, is the watch basically useless there as a communication device?

The apple site states if you connect to any wifi network that your phone has previously been connected to before then you can get stuff like text messages and whatot (says a little cloud icon shows up on the watch), but it's vague on if this means you need your phone with you or not.

Anyone clarify? I'm looking at a series 2 for her as a gift.

Do you use Overcast, or any other Podcast app? Am I stuck syncing playlists of podcasts to my watch if I want to leave my phone at home for a run?
From what I've learned during my investigation (in potentially buying an Apple Watch) there is no podcast app (native or 3rd party) that lets you automatically sync new podcasts to your watch. See this reddit thread for people talking about about it. Apparently in order for new podcasts to sync you have to manually reclassify the mp3's media type as "music" (instead of podcast) and include the mp3 in a playlist on your iPhone, then wait for sync. Inexplicably stupid.

I'm confused on just how useful this thing is if you're away from your phone. Like my wife goes to the gym and swims but never takes her phone with her, is the watch basically useless there as a communication device?

The apple site states if you connect to any wifi network that your phone has previously been connected to before then you can get stuff like text messages and whatot (says a little cloud icon shows up on the watch), but it's vague on if this means you need your phone with you or not.
Check out this Apple FAQ, it's quite clear on what you can do, including the ability to send messages and make calls over WiFi without an iPhone.

I personally use Overcast. The only way to get podcasts on your watch is with the method prior. I hope watchOS 4 removes this absurd limitation

Anyone clarify? I'm looking at a series 2 for her as a gift.

The Watch will automatically connect to any wifi source the phone connects to (as long as it is 2.4Ghz). So what she would want to do is connect to the gym wifi on her phone with the Watch present and paired, then when she leaves it in a locker or something she can still get texts and calls (if she has wifi calling enabled). Emails too, I think? That I'm not sure about

Allforce

I personally use Overcast. The only way to get podcasts on your watch is with the method prior. I hope watchOS 4 removes this absurd limitation

The Watch will automatically connect to any wifi source the phone connects to (as long as it is 2.4Ghz). So what she would want to do is connect to the gym wifi on her phone with the Watch present and paired, then when she leaves it in a locker or something she can still get texts and calls (if she has wifi calling enabled). Emails too, I think? That I'm not sure about

Ok so the phone has to be connected at the same time to the same wifi network in order to get the watch functionality, thank you.

The Apple FAQ reads as if you connected to the gym wifi and then left your phone at home the next time you went, the watch could connect to the gym wifi and still be able to make calls/texts/etc.

She never takes her phone to the gym so I guess this won't work out like I thought it would

The Apple FAQ reads as if you connected to the gym wifi and then left your phone at home the next time you went, the watch could connect to the gym wifi and still be able to make calls/texts/etc.

This is exactly how it works for me!
(it's quite slow though when using its own connection and not piggybacking off the phone)

Ok so the phone has to be connected at the same time to the same wifi network in order to get the watch functionality, thank you.

She never takes her phone to the gym so I guess this won't work out like I thought it would

This is exactly how it works, I was describing the first time you connect

Downcast lets me choose and control podcasts directly from the watch but I don't think there is a way to download new pods.

Yeah because it's a limitation of watchOS

Marco has made some vague comments on ATP that this might be coming to Overcast in the near future.

Marco says a lot of things, one of them being that he doesn't like developing for the Watch anyway iirc

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Need some help.

My wife is looking at 3rd party bands. She has the 38mm watch and is wearing the M/L band. All the 3rd party bands appear to be S/M for the 38mm watch. Where can we find a M/L 38mm band that's teal and the Nike hole type band?

Chorazin

Need some help.

My wife is looking at 3rd party bands. She has the 38mm watch and is wearing the M/L band. All the 3rd party bands appear to be S/M for the 38mm watch. Where can we find a M/L 38mm band that's teal and the Nike hole type band?

The Nike knockoff band I got for my 42mm was Large, I didn't even get a choice. Way longer than I need. I'm guessing the one for the 32mm is gonna be the same, since it's better for it to be big for most people than small for some.

She's a physical therapist, so she's doing a lot of weird shit with her arms and hands when she works with her patients. I read online a lot of people have problems with the same thing (including during yoga and push-ups actually, ha). I wonder why they haven't built that in. It sits on her wrist comfortably and her hand presses into the button.

I just realized in the General Settings where you tell the watch which wrist you wear it on, you can also tell it you're wearing it with the buttons to the left, so they're facing up your arm instead of towards you wrist. ZERO accidental activation now!

Doodis

I just realized in the General Settings where you tell the watch which wrist you wear it on, you can also tell it you're wearing it with the buttons to the left, so they're facing up your arm instead of towards you wrist. ZERO accidental activation now!

Nice, did not know this. I may have to make this switch since I'm frequently hitting the buttons on accident, especially when bending my wrists during workouts.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Nike knockoff band I got for my 42mm was Large, I didn't even get a choice. Way longer than I need. I'm guessing the one for the 32mm is gonna be the same, since it's better for it to be big for most people than small for some.

Thanks - we'll look at the General Settings tonight.

As for the band, the S/M is just a hair too short for her. The M/L is longer, but more comfortable. Based on the descriptions I see on Amazon, her 38mm choices are all S/M and will not work for her. That's a super bummer.

Roi

Just bought a Space Grey 38mm today! Really happy with it, I noticed that the 'pulse' is working well and is really useful.
Little bummed that my iPhone Calender app doesn't have a Watch app, and why isn't there a gmail app? Will survive that though ;)

Vuze

Mine should be coming in tomorrow or Thursday. Hope the 42mm won't look to gaudy on my wrist, I'll see.
Which bands and screen protectors are you guys/gals rocking? Original band prices are exorbitant but I can already tell from the product pics I won't like the sports band :p
Milanese is cool but I like the linked ones the most.

hirokazu

Just bought a Space Grey 38mm today! Really happy with it, I noticed that the 'pulse' is working well and is really useful.
Little bummed that my iPhone Calender app doesn't have a Watch app, and why isn't there a gmail app? Will survive that though ;)
The app scene is sadly still pretty poor. :/

japtor

Theatre Mode will be amazing for those who sleep with their Watches on.
Opening settings to turn raise to wake off every night is annoying.
Until that's out you could try the red watch face trick for sleeping. Basically just do modular with no complications and color it red. It'll still turn on but far less noticeable than anything else until theater mode comes out.

(...still the possible issue of accidental swiping and bringing notifications/control center on screen though)
Mine should be coming in tomorrow or Thursday. Hope the 42mm won't look to gaudy on my wrist, I'll see.
Which bands and screen protectors are you guys/gals rocking? Original band prices are exorbitant but I can already tell from the product pics I won't like the sports band :p
Milanese is cool but I like the linked ones the most.
Sport band is/was my primary one but recently replaced it (for everyday use) with the Apple nylon band. I also have another band using a two piece nato (clockwork synergy I think, but the cheap ones are probably all similar) with third party lugs...but I don't think they're worth it vs the Apple nylon bands in terms of fit and finish and comfort. The lugs are fine at least, I'll probably get some leather straps to pair with those eventually...any recommendations there?

Otherwise I have the Milanese loop, kinda blingy but I like it. I'd like the space black one but figured I'd save $150 and get black nylon instead. Which is nice in its own way, they're pretty light and comfortable feel wise, and the little weave pattern and thread shine gives them a more interesting look than just a solid color.

There's knockoff Milanese loops nylon bands but reviews are kinda all over the place. For the loop they're really tempting cause the huge savings (like ~$15 vs $150-200), while a bit less so for the nylon (~$15 vs $50).

Vuze

Is it normal that the update takes so long? 500mb update for my new Watch = 1h? I really don't feel very confident about updating via bluetooth... but we'll see.

Also thanks for the feedback japtor.

japtor

Yeah the watch updates just take a really long ass time. I figure it's not just the wireless but also everything else about the watch being relatively slow (CPU and storage in particular in this scenario).

Anyway I apparently developed this issue overnight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1NNZkArMrU

Got my current watch around last June/July, which was a replacement for my original, way out of warranty at this point. Found a few other cases online, they all appear to originate from the same area. Sounds like Apple has told people it's either water damage or too much pressure on screen (perhaps both?). Went rock climbing and pressed the face against the wall a little, but I've done it much worse months ago, and water wise I only rinse it under a sink (after mostly killing the speaker on my original).

I'll take it in but don't expect anything but a crazy repair quote (it's space black) so I'll probably live with it...might be an excuse to shell out for a new Nike one or something, but I'd rather wait for another revision.

Until that's out you could try the red watch face trick for sleeping. Basically just do modular with no complications and color it red. It'll still turn on but far less noticeable than anything else until theater mode comes out.

(...still the possible issue of accidental swiping and bringing notifications/control center on screen though)

I did actually try this initially!
It caused a little more battery drain than I liked on my poor 38mm, guess I'm a really restless sleeper.

Now I just need for the Watch to not default to the Workout screen whilst exercising and I'll be pretty happy... for now.

mrkgoo

I did actually try this initially!
It caused a little more battery drain than I liked on my poor 38mm, guess I'm a really restless sleeper.

Now I just need for the Watch to not default to the Workout screen whilst exercising and I'll be pretty happy... for now.
Can't you set the watch to always show the watch face? Like ignore sessions based applications running?

Can't you set the watch to always show the watch face? Like ignore sessions based applications running?

Not specifically no, setting to show 'In Session' apps only effectively acts like this but it's not perfect.
My only 'issue' is whilst running if I open the Music app I'd like it to stay there, but on the next raise it has automatically reverted to Workout. All this require is a double click of the crown to bring me back to Music but having to do this repeatedly is pretty annoying.

Workout having Music controls you could scroll or swipe to would be nice.

The more I use this Watch the more I love it. I've gotten deeper into HealthKit and activity tracking and Watch faces for different scenarios

All I need in watchOS4 is built-in sleep tracking and the ability to download more media than just music, like podcasts, to the watch

Doodis

The more I use this Watch the more I love it. I've gotten deeper into HealthKit and activity tracking and Watch faces for different scenarios

All I need in watchOS4 is built-in sleep tracking and the ability to download more media than just music, like podcasts, to the watch

I'd even like a way to pause/play podcasts playing on my phone. The absence of this kind of functionality is really surprising. I mean, my original Pebble would pause/play, skip, etc. whatever was currently playing on the phone, whether it was music or a podcast or whatever.

mrkgoo

Not specifically no, setting to show 'In Session' apps only effectively acts like this but it's not perfect.
My only 'issue' is whilst running if I open the Music app I'd like it to stay there, but on the next raise it has automatically reverted to Workout. All this require is a double click of the crown to bring me back to Music but having to do this repeatedly is pretty annoying.

Workout having Music controls you could scroll or swipe to would be nice.

Can you set it to always show watch face, even when in a workout session?

then you can setup a particular watch face as "workout mode" and have complications that take you where you need to go.

I dunno, the whole watch interface seems a bit higgledy-piggledy. they changed it up a lot and I lost where the "last" app double-click was until you just reminded me now.

Can you set it to always show watch face, even when in a workout session?

then you can setup a particular watch face as "workout mode" and have complications that take you where you need to go.

I dunno, the whole watch interface seems a bit higgledy-piggledy. they changed it up a lot and I lost where the "last" app double-click was until you just reminded me now.

Wait, is there an option to always show watch face!?
Perhaps I'm being stupid and overlooked it, but that would solve everything.

The only option I saw was 'on screen wake show last app' but none of the options were no/never. So Workout has to show.

Weird thing is when using Workout if you manually return to the watch face a green workout icon appears to make you aware one is running, so it's not even necessary to force you to return to the app every time.

I'd even like a way to pause/play podcasts playing on my phone. The absence of this kind of functionality is really surprising. I mean, my original Pebble would pause/play, skip, etc. whatever was currently playing on the phone, whether it was music or a podcast or whatever.

There's a Now Playing app in the dock. It'll control anything playing audio: Podcasts, Overcast, even YouTube. Anything. It's like the second control center pane

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I picked up a Watch. I'm going to miss how my Sony Smartwatch 3 always displays the time and is always visible. The reflective screen isn't high quality but is fantastic for a watch purpose.

Looking forward to my Series 1 arriving. Still looks head and shoulders better than any Android watch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
you are gonna love it
its amazing how i never think about mine

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
you are gonna love it
its amazing how i never think about mine
You never think about how the time only shows up when you reposition your wrist?

mrkgoo

You never think about how the time only shows up when you reposition your wrist?

You get used to it. It is a little annoying, to be honest, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm adaptable though, so your mileage may vary.

Wait, is there an option to always show watch face!?
Perhaps I'm being stupid and overlooked it, but that would solve everything.

The only option I saw was 'on screen wake show last app' but none of the options were no/never. So Workout has to show.

Weird thing is when using Workout if you manually return to the watch face a green workout icon appears to make you aware one is running, so it's not even necessary to force you to return to the app every time.

Huh, I'm not sure myself.

Edit I just checked - there isn't:

Wake screen to last app:

Only when in session
within last 8 minutes
within last hour
Always.

...now I'm not sure what happens if you set it to ALWAYS, then start a workout, THEN go back to watch face - will it always go to watch face then? OR is it not classified as an "app"? It would seem annoying if it isn't, and it always goes to the last app used, because then you'd NEVER see the watch face without hitting the button, which would seem a bit useless....

Same with the 8 minute option - if you had that, and you're in a workout, will it actually go to watch face after 8 minutes of not looking?

Vuze

What I desperately hope for is being able to add reminders with scribble (or text input at the least). Sometimes it just makes me scratch my head why Apple omits obvious stuff like this. Like, do they think it is appropiate/possible to talk to Siri for setting a reminder all the time? A force touch option in the reminder app for adding one would be fine and non-intrusive.

There is one app on the store that does this but it's either bugged because of my region/date format or broken in general because i can't add reminders once I set a date for them... notified the dev but I'll return it if he can't fix it within the return period. 1.99€ is too much for something half-broken (on my end).

mrkgoo

What I desperately hope for is being able to add reminders with scribble (or text input at the least). Sometimes it just makes me scratch my head why Apple omits obvious stuff like this. Like, do they think it is appropiate/possible to talk to Siri for setting a reminder all the time? A force touch option in the reminder app for adding one would be fine and non-intrusive.

I love the reminders app, but never once considered using scribble. I never even thought of it. Scribble is kinda cool, though, and now that you say, I wouldn't mind it as an option. I bet one day, scribble will just be an option for anywhere that can use input.

I usually use siri for adding reminders anyway, so I guess that's why I never missed it.

japtor

Huh, I'm not sure myself.

Edit I just checked - there isn't:

Wake screen to last app:

Only when in session
within last 8 minutes
within last hour
Always.

...now I'm not sure what happens if you set it to ALWAYS, then start a workout, THEN go back to watch face - will it always go to watch face then? OR is it not classified as an "app"? It would seem annoying if it isn't, and it always goes to the last app used, because then you'd NEVER see the watch face without hitting the button, which would seem a bit useless....

Same with the 8 minute option - if you had that, and you're in a workout, will it actually go to watch face after 8 minutes of not looking?
Before there was no "in session" option, and the "session" apps always did their thing. So I think the other options should work how you think now that the session apps are split out to a separate option.

The way the other options worked before was if you had an app open it'd follow the option, so if you close the session apps and get back to the watch face in theory it should stay on the watch face.

There is one app on the store that does this but it's either bugged because of my region/date format or broken in general because i can't add reminders once I set a date for them... notified the dev but I'll return it if he can't fix it within the return period. 1.99€ is too much for something half-broken (on my end).
Yeah text input would be nice, like a scribble button on the global dictation screen (so any app that used dictation would gain text support automatically). Siri in general could use it too, on the watch and everywhere else. I could see why they don't for Siri at least, like for amassing natural language query samples or something, where text input would likely be different...but they could just skip or categorize it separately when text is used.

Bboy AJ

Just got my watch. This thing is disgustingly and embarrassingly slow. Terrible. It's not slow in the watch sense. It's slow compared to my Android Wear watch. Installing an OS update is pretty quick on Android. Here, it's a half hour. It's updating right now and taking its sweet time. Maybe Android does it in the background and I don't notice. I don't know. But there are other examples. Switching watch faces isn't as instantaneous.

Man, the app screen is ugly. Ugly and totally unintuitive. Not a fan. Thankfully, I rarely use apps. I mostly just use my Android Wear for notifications and quick controls, like music.

These are my first hour impressions. I'll see how things adjust.

The hardware is really nice but the charger is dumb. Is this thing really USB? Not USB C? Ughhhhh. Is there a USB C charger somewhere?

mrkgoo

Just got my watch. This thing is disgustingly and embarrassingly slow. Terrible. It's not slow in the watch sense. It's slow compared to my Android Wear watch. Installing an OS update is pretty quick on Android. Here, it's a half hour. It's updating right now and taking its sweet time. Maybe Android does it in the background and I don't notice. I don't know. But there are other examples. Switching watch faces isn't as instantaneous.

Man, the app screen is ugly. Ugly and totally unintuitive. Not a fan. Thankfully, I rarely use apps. I mostly just use my Android Wear for notifications and quick controls, like music.

These are my first hour impressions. I'll see how things adjust.

The hardware is really nice but the charger is dumb. Is this thing really USB? Not USB C? Ughhhhh. Is there a USB C charger somewhere?

Which Apple Watch did you get?

Yeah, updates take fooooooorever. Don't use apps other than those in the dock, for the most part.

I never thought about the USB-C thing...but yeah, guess it means you can't even charge your watch from eh new laptops without an adaptor, lol. Personally, I just have a stand and just posit on that when i go to bed.

Bboy AJ

All my stuff is USB C, except my Android Watch. Now I've got an iPhone and I have to deal with lightning and now USB OLD. Dammit. It is annoying to have a USB cord. I expect Series 3 to fix this nonsense.

I grabbed a Series 1 silver aluminum. The GPS on 2 isn't particularly accurate so screw it. Maybe I'll get a stainless steel in the future.

All my stuff is USB C, except my Android Watch. Now I've got an iPhone and I have to deal with lightning and now USB OLD. Dammit. It is annoying to have a USB cord. I expect Series 3 to fix this nonsense.

I grabbed a Series 1 silver aluminum. The GPS on 2 isn't particularly accurate so screw it. Maybe I'll get a stainless steel in the future.
you use an SE right? You should get one of those cheap nightstand docks that has a dock for the phone and a dock for the watch in the same small thing. Pretty elegant to charge both before bed. I'm sure someone else here can reco a good one. Like this one on the right:

product-detail-docks-pick.jpg

If you plan on using them for a long time it's a good investment. I'm sure there are cheaper less good looking ones but here is the one in the pic.

Doodis

There's a Now Playing app in the dock. It'll control anything playing audio: Podcasts, Overcast, even YouTube. Anything. It's like the second control center pane

Wow, thanks. Did not know this existed. Honestly, I've never even used the dock. I always just hit the scroll button to search for apps.

Shearie

Wow, thanks. Did not know this existed. Honestly, I've never even used the dock. I always just hit the scroll button to search for apps.

You should put apps in the the dock that you most want to launch instantly since docked apps are permently kept in memory.

Top Bottom