• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Anyone else going to attempt to jump from Evernote to this?
I don't see how that's possible. I'm far from an Evernote power user, but I have notes that take use of bulleted lists and hyperlinks, two extremely basic things that Google Keep doesn't allow. Keep seems to be used mostly for jotting things down for later, whereas Evernote is more focused on replacing notebooks, folders, and any other sort of paper documents.

I like the app quite a bit though. It's rather attractive.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
? Keep has both bulleted lists and hyperlinks
It does? I can't find any formatting options, and I tried copying over some documents from Evernote, and the bullets changed to asterisks and the hyperlinks vanished entirely.

bob page

Supposed new UI for the Play store:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/20/preview-of-new-google-play-version-4-0/

new-google-play13.jpg

new-google-play23.jpg

Can anyone tell me how I can upload a video simultaneously while recording, or tell me an app? Just in case if I face unlawful cops and they tried to delete my data from my phone.

KarmaCow

I gotta hand it to ShiftJelly, PocketCasts 4 is pretty good now. They must have been working overtime to fix all the complaints over the past couple of weeks. I'm getting used to the interface and it's still missing a few things like adding stuff outside of feeds to playlists or the download notification panel being useless but overall I'm really liking it.

Saerk

What's a good exchange app? For whatever reason the default email app won't connect to the exchange server anymore.

suoodS

Anybody else use Habit Browser? Holy crap it's amazing. So many customizable options, it has everything you'd want in a browser, sans gesture typing. Out of all the browsers I've tried, this came out on top.

Man, I keep installing Dashclock every now and then because people keep raving about how awesome it is, and it seems like it could be really cool, but every time I end up realizing that it's pretty much useless to me. Today I installed it to use it with Dashlight, thinking it would be pretty nifty to have a flashlight shortcut right on my lockscreen, but then it turned out that after pressing the icon you have to enter your unlock pattern for the light to turn on. BAM, useless. I understand that anything that makes you enter an app needs to be protected by your unlock security, but a simple feature like turning the LED on and off would only be useful if it could be done with a single tap, leaving your phone locked. Since it can't, it isn't any more useful than just placing a flashlight icon on my homescreen. I have to enter my unlock pattern either way, it's just a matter of in which order it happens.

Is Dashclock only really useful if you don't use any unlock security? Well, bye bye then, because I would never leave my phone unprotected. I've had a smartphone stolen before, and I'm so happy it was protected by a hard-to-guess unlock pattern.

I use it more to display information. Weather, Email, Text Messages, etc. Also, instead of unlocking my phone and looking at the notification menu to see what's there, I can click the icon directly from Dashclock and have the app open up as soon as I unlock my phone. Very convenient for me.

Also, if you have a Nexus 4, Nexus 4 Flashlight Widget should solve your problem.

Melchiah

Holy crap Airdroid is amazing. It's the first piece of software that gives me 'this is the future' feeling. At the basic level it's just something that lets you transfers files between a PC and your phone over wifi but it's setup more like an operating system than a file manager so you can organize photos, music, apps, message history etc. It makes it feel like your phone is your computer. Give tech another 5-10 years and everyones phone will be their PC and you'll just connect to dumb terminals with it like this.

It's free for now, I get the impression that it will develop a business model at some point and start charging for it but it's great to check out now if you haven't.

Edit: Uggghhhhhhh if it didn't use quicktime for video playback it would be perfect. Why would you do that?!

Thanks for the recommendation, it seems like a cool app. Although it disconnects me and shuts the app, when I try to access the Device folder on my phone. I'm not sure whether it's because of the app or Avast security, or what.

On a side note, I can't get my PS3 to connect wirelessly with the Xperia P anymore, after I had to restore the phone to factory settings. Anyone else experienced something similar?

Until I can upgrade my phone, I really need to replace the stock SMS/Messaging app on my G2 (Android 2.3.4). There's no way to search through old texts (Edit: I keep forgetting about the hardware Search button), it has a habit of flicking back to the bottom of the conversation threads when I'm trying to scroll up it, and long threads have gotten choppy and laggy to deal with. (I can delete them, or back them up, but I'd rather I still have them available.) What would be the best replacement (barring "get a new phone")?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Until I can upgrade my phone, I really need to replace the stock SMS/Messaging app on my G2 (Android 2.3.4). There's no way to search through old texts, it has a habit of flicking back to the bottom of the conversation threads when I'm trying to scroll up it, and long threads have gotten choppy and laggy to deal with. (I can delete them, or back them up, but I'd rather I still have them available.) What would be the best replacement (barring "get a new phone")?

I really like ChompSMS..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Until I can upgrade my phone, I really need to replace the stock SMS/Messaging app on my G2 (Android 2.3.4). There's no way to search through old texts (Edit: I keep forgetting about the hardware Search button), it has a habit of flicking back to the bottom of the conversation threads when I'm trying to scroll up it, and long threads have gotten choppy and laggy to deal with. (I can delete them, or back them up, but I'd rather I still have them available.) What would be the best replacement (barring "get a new phone")?

GoSMS

I Like Handcent

PaulLFC

What's the best app for streaming music from your PC to your phone? I'd probably be using it with iTunes mostly, but support for other players would be a nice bonus.

I tried Hifi Speaker which is okay, but doesn't support anything like track skipping (may be a limitation of AirPlay? Not sure), also Airfoil but the program costs $25 after trial which is too much in my case considering how much I anticipate using it ("not that much but it'd be nice to have the option").

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Made this because I needed something like it and didn't much care for the available apps. This is just a early version but it works. Going to add more features soonish.

Days Until is a light weight, clean, and functional app that displays days left until a specified event along with sending you a reminder. You can also add photos to events as well as backup & restore all entries in the database.

zFvYa_qP2y1asqgA6YncEycmGriCvTKp3w7FIpTJJorEzZtYvzJJQLlfOqUPzaRTXJo
pVUcBHPEZ7SbGHVlpYiGWKyEch8CBcWMoRztIeR4j5TyvsRWqPVia0KU7OD9VMuggP8
PXyVX6DDIGjl5DIh4ekRkn667D4iyiS0JsZTl9O9zdvI_j1Uek6XMEJhfnCng1MoqqUn

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...9tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuZGF5c3VudGlsIl0.

Per request, I've updated the event view to display a countdown timer. See last screenshot:

What's the best app for streaming music from your PC to your phone? I'd probably be using it with iTunes mostly, but support for other players would be a nice bonus.

I tried Hifi Speaker which is okay, but doesn't support anything like track skipping (may be a limitation of AirPlay? Not sure), also Airfoil but the program costs $25 after trial which is too much in my case considering how much I anticipate using it ("not that much but it'd be nice to have the option").

Hm no idea. I've always just used Google music. Is that an option? I know it's not exactly what you are asking for.

Vanillalite

Doesn't DoubleTwist allow you to do this?

2 year anniversary Amazon Appstore greatest hits: http://t.co/FfrQu6lqms

free apps including ChuChu Rocket, White Noise, Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots, Bejeweled 2, Quell Reflect and Cubistry.

when you say "streaming music from your PC to your phone" what do you mean exactly?

transfer music from PC to phone via PC controls?

transfer music from PC to phone via phone controls?

play music residing on PC thru phone audio output via PC controls?

play music residing on PC thru phone audio output via phone controls?

Defyler

Is it worth upgrading to the purchase version on Beyondpod ($6.99)?

Am new to the podcast thing and only use it for a few podcasts on the rare occasion. Are there any other podcast managers you guys prefer?

Ocho

Am new to the podcast thing and only use it for a few podcasts on the rare occasion. Are there any other podcast managers you guys prefer?

Pocket Casts. Cheaper and decent.

if you rarely use it, you can stick to free ones.

people usually mention Volksempfänger and AntennaPod.

Also, as far as paid goes, if you decide to go that way, a lot of people love Pocket Casts and there are a few DoggCatcher fans as well.

Any good SimCity style games on Android?
I have the ACTUAL SimCity, but it's "Not Supported" on my Nexus 10 OR my Note 2, so it's just garbage now (thankfully got it for free or 10c or something). Is there a way to just direct install it to my Note 2 and have it work?

I tried the Jurassic Park game recently (also free) and I thought I'd love it at first... until the first "Wait 5 minutes or pay money to do it now" thing happened.

buhdeh

Hell no. I bought it for 99c but I still use Pocket Casts.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I tried beyondpod, and while I liked it, when the trial was up, I ended up downloading podkicker. PK is good. The upgraded version of PK is great. And I believe it is cheaper than BP.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been using Sliding Messaging Pro because I love the look of it. Looks really awesome in the dark theme. It still has ways to go, but the developer promises updates for it.

Vanillalite

Am I the only one that finds AntennaPod absolutely great and more than enough?

It is my main podcast app.It's open source, regularly updated, decently full featured, and it is free.

No reason to pay for an app when this does everything I need already.

Top Bottom