• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Translate finally has an offline mode. Awesome.

BTW, gaf can you think of any other random stuff to add to add to the app?

YoIC7SXJdoA0EgpcnpyXfLRznZip8DSTKuETHaoiT6bxiCWKFFmOwJIQylZdL8Bx5O7J
Q1Z7OcfqXFYOZm82NDSmd-KwDY6KVseeEK78-LA6zm0lzZVCANljIdMI9zO1jEgj4yI3
nXZ30wJtLXDUEEmYvXEbrgXhjMV6fjgQdj03epB8V2aR0_zCkYuowhGmtxTeTMyW

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAucmFuZG9tIl0.

BTW, dice roll and card shuffle planned. Come on gaf what other randoms to add?

Groof

What are some good call blocker apps? The one I use now works, but it keeps giving me a notification saying it's blocked a call/SMS, even though I turned that off. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Phoenix

What does it mean if an app is requesting permission for Google Billing Services? I got Bladeslinger from the Humble Bundle but it's asking for Device Access: Google Play billing service. I'm assuming it's related to in-app purchasing garbage but I don't necessarily want an app like that so readily able to access my credit card.

It can't access your credit card. The permission is so that it can in the future allow you to make some in-app purchases. You still have full permission to tell it no and everything else. Without that permission, the app doesn't even have the ability to ask you about billing and show you the relevant dialogs. Most 'improperly designed' applications generally crash in that instance.

vdlow

What are some good call blocker apps? The one I use now works, but it keeps giving me a notification saying it's blocked a call/SMS, even though I turned that off. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Android Settings(not the app settings) >>> Applications >>> find Call Blocker on the list, and disable the flag Show notifications.

RM8

Guys, I just bought my first Android phone after owning a Lumia. So far the only thing I really, really don't like is how music sync-ing works :( Zune is pretty much perfect and I can't find anything similar I can use on Android. The Google Play music player for PC is currently not available in my country... what else can I use? Suggestions would be appreciated.

jokkir

Tasker has got to be the most badly designed apps I have ever used -- even with the "holo" redesign.

For example: When trying to go back to the list of conditions or re-input a condition, you have to use some "X" at the top right instead of just hitting the back button on the top left (like every other app out there). The menus are so confusing. Finding conditions are so difficult even when they're categorized and so on.

Llama seems a lot easier to use if you're just using a location profiler. But I know Tasker can be a lot more powerful than it.

I'll have more impressions later when I get used to this terrible interface >__>

Groof

Tasker has got to be the most badly designed apps I have ever used -- even with the "holo" redesign.

For example: When trying to go back to the list of conditions or re-input a condition, you have to use some "X" at the top right instead of just hitting the back button on the top left (like every other app out there). The menus are so confusing. Finding conditions are so difficult even when they're categorized and so on.

Llama seems a lot easier to use if you're just using a location profiler. But I know Tasker can be a lot more powerful than it.

I'll have more impressions later when I get used to this terrible interface >__>

Yeah, it's utter trash. Also the toast notifications stack on top of each other, so they can go on for a loooong time if you try to spam the back button.

TommyT

everyone. if you don't own Tasker, you should now.

Looking into it currently, but what are practical every day uses for Takser? I get that it will probably depend on the user, however I'm still in the early stages of figuring out what I actually want to do with my phone and what it can do.

freshair

Looking into it currently, but what are practical every day uses for Takser? I get that it will probably depend on the user, however I'm still in the early stages of figuring out what I actually want to do with my phone and what it can do.

From a reddit post:

For sleep:

- After midnight (up till 9am), if my phone is charging, silence all phonecalls and texts except my whitelist contacts.
- Certain people's phone calls and texts will still ring through (family, girlfriend, other emergency contacts)
- Automatically respond to texts saying i'm sleeping, but informing the person they can text me 911 and my phone will ring.
- In the morning, after my alarm, dictate the weather forecast for the location I'm going to be in that day (unless I'm rude). Since during Mon-Thurs I'm commuting to school but typically on the weekend I'm at home this is super nice.

For my car:

- When my phone connects to my car's bluetooth, it asks me if I want to open maps or listen to music and then does it (unless I'm rude).
- If I receive a text, it will read it out loud and ask if I want to respond. I can then dictate my message back and it will ask for confirmation in sending.

At home:

- When I'm in the shower, it will read the time off every 5 minutes.
- Texts will be dictated to me.
- After midnight, if I open certain apps (reddit, browser, xda), set my screen to lowest brightness and using Screen Filter, take it down an addition 50%.

Miscellaneous:

- My camera app (and as a result gallery) will always enable rotation so I can take photos correctly.
- Silence during certain calendar events when I mark my self busy.
- Talk shit to me if I'm rude when tasker talks to me.

Now implementing them, on the other hand.... haha

Also check out http://www.reddit.com/r/tasker

TommyT

Groof

Thanks, I ended up at both of those after a bit of looking into it. Off hand, I can't think of what I'd REALLY need this for at the moment. That said, I can see the future value in this so might pick it up at the lower price.

This is what I did. I got it mainly for screen lock on/off for when I'm at out/home, but now I also use it to auto-turn on/off GPS and auto rotate for certain apps. Pretty cool stuff.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thanks, I ended up at both of those after a bit of looking into it. Off hand, I can't think of what I'd REALLY need this for at the moment. That said, I can see the future value in this so might pick it up at the lower price.

Just get llama. It is free.

Hi all, maybe you can help me with this.

I once saw this call blocking app that would send a message that you customize back to the caller. Sadly, for the life of me I can't remember what the name of that app is. Does anyone know? Please share if you do!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guys, I just bought my first Android phone after owning a Lumia. So far the only thing I really, really don't like is how music sync-ing works :( Zune is pretty much perfect and I can't find anything similar I can use on Android. The Google Play music player for PC is currently not available in my country... what else can I use? Suggestions would be appreciated.

There's really nothing that's comparable to Google Music for syncing music to the cloud and having it nicely integrated on the phone, AFAIK. And yes, it sucks that it's not available in most of the world (we don't have it here either).

However, you can very easily get around that by visiting the Google Music site via a US proxy. Doing that will let you sign up, and then you can stop using the proxy, because once you've signed up your location is never checked again (probably to let "legitimate" users use the service even when outside their own country).

If you feel a bit hesitant about doing this with your main Google account (the GMusic TOS do say you are not allowed circumvent the regional restrictions) you can do it with a secondary account which you only use for this, and then add that account on your phone. That's what I did, works perfectly. I'll migrate my music to my main account once the service is available here.

netBuff

There's really nothing that's comparable to Google Music for syncing music to the cloud and having it nicely integrated on the phone, AFAIK. And yes, it sucks that it's not available in most of the world (we don't have it here either).

Amazon offers pretty much the same service - upload storage combined with an online music store.

If you feel a bit hesitant about doing this with your main Google account (the GMusic TOS do say you are not allowed circumvent the regional restrictions) you can do it with a secondary account which you only use for this, and then add that account on your phone. That's what I did, works perfectly. I'll migrate my music to my main account once the service is available here.

I don't think Google cares, I've had it activated on my main account for a long time. I think they'd rather make more money off me than less ;)

3phemeral

ROM toolbox pro is also on sale. Any quick impressions before I commit a whole $3? I'm rooted, and I use my backup root rather than titanium backup...

I don't use ROM Toolbox Pro for my full backups as they've never worked when I needed to restore my phone for some reason. I just use Titanium Backup + Carbon for that. Haven't really relied on a full image backup anymore as I just make sure I keep a previously functioning ROM that I can flash and restore with the aforementioned combination of apps.

ROM toolbox does have a nice boot-animation tool that allows you to customize your boot animations super easily, and with a lot of animation options. They have kernel controls, adblock tools, and a bunch of other options that I would say are worth it if you're just using that tool alone to provide a host of functions for your device. The adblock works well for devices tethered to your phone, as it's hindered many a Hulu-watching session, so I had to disable it.

I don't use it anymore, as I've switched over to apps the serve one specific function, like Titanium for APK restores, Carbon for app data, Franco kernel for performance control. I don't use the boot-animation feature anymore, which is what it was essentially relegated to after I developed a workflow for crack flashing using other apps.

Can't really justify it myself, but the combination of cost for other apps that provide similar, but singular functionality is much more expensive. But I would recommend supporting those developers if you find you use them often anyway.

Top Bottom