• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

MNC

I remember CM7 used to have this feature built into the ROM. what happened??

how about you tell us which is the better reddit app instead of being an asshole?

Reddit sync is a great holo reddit app and I prefer i over reddit news. With all the images that might be viewed on reddit, I'm not surprised with the big cache.

kehs

Banned
Live wallpaper recommendations!

I'm using the nexus 4 love wallpaper right now because its awesome.

Any recommendations?

netBuff

i can't seem to get access to the US play store any more ...even with root market access, and my VPN ....something changed?

Your Android Market location is now based on your billing address, not your IP location. Just enter an US address as your Google Wallet default address, after that "trigger" it using your VPN service.

So let's talk Twitter.

I currently use Echofon because of the feature allowing me to "Never Read a Tweet Twice" as they call it - Echofon automatically keeps unread tweets in sync between apps on different devices.

But as of late they have killed their desktop support and everything is getting wonky between the different platforms I use.

Is there something like a alternative available for Android, iOS and desktop that provides the same feature?

Blackhead

Redarse
So let's talk Twitter.

I currently use Echofon because of the feature allowing me to "Never Read a Tweet Twice" as they call it - Echofon automatically keeps unread tweets in sync between apps on different devices.

But as of late they have killed their desktop support and everything is getting wonky between the different platforms I use.

Is there something like a alternative available for Android, iOS and desktop that provides the same feature?

Tweet Marker http://tweetmarker.net/

It only works in the official app if you set it to sync frequently, right?

I don't think so. You only need to have the sync enabled. I have mine set to update every hour but I still get push notifications whenever someone mentions me.

Clients like Falcon Pro also have a workaround for notifications but instead of push, the client polls the server regularly. This obviously affects battery life negatively but it is an option if someone really wants it.

PaulLFC

Pocket Casts got a fairly big update:

- "Keep X number of episodes" setting - can be overridden on a per-podcast basis - finally!
- Dark theme
- Global setting for playback speed
- "Start from" setting - start a podcast 10 seconds in to skip an intro, etc.
- "Giant buttons are back"
- Other stuff

MNC

Man, Chrome scrolling is really choppy for me. I'm on a GS3 so there really shouldn't be a problem.
I have the same problem. It was only because i was trying chrome; dolphin browser hd remainz unbeaten imo. Runs great, tabbed browsing rules and i can half sync stuff. I cant sync from phone to pc, sadly.

Doopliss

Pocket Casts got a fairly big update:

- "Keep X number of episodes" setting - can be overridden on a per-podcast basis - finally!
- Dark theme
- Global setting for playback speed
- "Start from" setting - start a podcast 10 seconds in to skip an intro, etc.
- "Giant buttons are back"
- Other stuff
Has anyone compared the sound of Pocket Casts' playback speed change with that of the Presto plugin? Just from a short clip in one of their videos it sounded quite tinny when sped up.

vdlow

So, I was trying to use Feedly on my Nexus 7, but I couldn't find an option to display only the title of the news, just like we can do when using the web version. You're not going to say me that there's no such option in the tablet version, are you?

Talamius

If you've been looking for an app for watching Justin.tv/Twitch, Streamie works wonders. Supports HD, favorites, and chat with transparency options. Way beyond the official app. Highly recommend it, and there is a free version to try.

PaulLFC

Has anyone compared the sound of Pocket Casts' playback speed change with that of the Presto plugin? Just from a short clip in one of their videos it sounded quite tinny when sped up.
It sounded fine to me at 1.3x, but I haven't tried faster speeds and don't have Presto to compare with.

If you've been looking for an app for watching Justin.tv/Twitch, Streamie works wonders. Supports HD, favorites, and chat with transparency options. Way beyond the official app. Highly recommend it, and there is a free version to try.
This is fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Doopliss

That looks great. Not going to install flash to use it, though.

Ocho

So, I was trying to use Feedly on my Nexus 7, but I couldn't find an option to display only the title of the news, just like we can do when using the web version. You're not going to say me that there's no such option in the tablet version, are you?

Settings -> advanced settings -> default view -> lists?

TommyT

What is the ease of getting an app and doing whatever is necessary to an Android phone (rooting?) so that I can have tethering without paying for the service from the carrier? For instance I have an iPhone that is jailbroken with the TetherMe app that supposedly masks the data so that Sprint doesn't recognize it as being tethered. I'm thinking about getting an Android device but would like to do this, especially with 4G.

kaskade

I'm liking the dark theme for Pocket Casts. I feel like the top bar doesn't do as well though. I think it would a bit nicer a different color. Gotta say I'm really liking the app.

netBuff

If you don't want to install flash on your device, there's also the option of just using the Twitch website: They now support HTML5 streaming (video controls can be a a bit janky with the current version of Chrome, but it works fine if you remember to first fullscreen, then press play).

I'm liking the dark theme for Pocket Casts. I feel like the top bar doesn't do as well though. I think it would a bit nicer a different color. Gotta say I'm really liking the app.

Yes, this most recent update alleviated all my concerns: Pocket Casts really is a great podcatcher!

What is the ease of getting an app and doing whatever is necessary to an Android phone (rooting?) so that I can have tethering without paying for the service from the carrier? For instance I have an iPhone that is jailbroken with the TetherMe app that supposedly masks the data so that Sprint doesn't recognize it as being tethered. I'm thinking about getting an Android device but would like to do this, especially with 4G.

depends on the device, some can use FoxFi/PDANet+ to tether without root.

WoodWERD

Fitocracy is kinda slow and buggy but the core idea is extremely fun. I am going to check out jefit too.

I'm trying to get back into working out and Endomondo Pro is pretty sweet. I picked it up during the .10 sale on a whim and just got around to using it. I haven't used it a lot yet, but it's got a ton of tracking options for all sorts of activities. I opened it up to see what kind of interval sprint options it had and there were a few different programs you could run. Also integrates with my fitness pal which I just started using to track my daily food intake. Cool stuff.

kaskade

Here's a screen I took of the dark theme incase anyone was holding out for that reason. It is much nicer to use at night.

yCXXymS.png

Last night I was playing a game and fell asleep while playing, woke up 8 hours later and my screen was still fucking open, what the fuck!? My GS3 was fucking hoooot, turned it off and pulled out the battery just to cool it down. I have the 30 second timeout option selected, looks like it doesn't work with Candy Crush.

Any app I could download that shuts the screen automatically for any apps after X amount of time?

I'm trying to get back into working out and Endomondo Pro is pretty sweet. I picked it up during the .10 sale on a whim and just got around to using it. I haven't used it a lot yet, but it's got a ton of tracking options for all sorts of activities. I opened it up to see what kind of interval sprint options it had and there were a few different programs you could run. Also integrates with my fitness pal which I just started using to track my daily food intake. Cool stuff.
I use Runkeeper which pretty much does the same thing but with the added bonus of linking up to Fitocracy so I can still get my points.

Last night I was playing a game and fell asleep while playing, woke up 8 hours later and my screen was still fucking open, what the fuck!? My GS3 was fucking hoooot, turned it off and pulled out the battery just to cool it down. I have the 30 second timeout option selected, looks like it doesn't work with Candy Crush.

Any app I could download that shuts the screen automatically for any apps after X amount of time?

the good news is it wasn't hot enough. if it actually got too hot, it would have turned itself off.

JonnyBrad

Pretty much any game will override the time-out. Along with a vid.

Top Bottom