• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Threi

notag
Oop sry i didnt notice the quote but yeah, its there:
RlLEaaT.png

All hyperlinks gets converted automatically when you type/copy them in.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not an Evernote user so take this as you will.

I told myself I'd download Keep and try it out for a week. I mean actually use it, and not just say I used it because I downloaded it. So far so good, but we shall see.

I don't need anything crazy at this point anyways.

Threi

notag
that's kii keyboard with the ICS skin. currently my fav (all i need is stock with a couple extra options and kii provides that)

kaskade

I'm liking keep but it could use a little more functionality. I'd like some automatic reminders as well. I just don't want to have to open the app to be reminded of something. I guess that means integration with tasks. I love the UI and everything though. It definitely has potential.

Groof

that's kii keyboard with the ICS skin. currently my fav (all i need is stock with a couple extra options and kii provides that)

Oh man, why haven't I tried this one out before? This is like everything I've been looking for! Thanks man.

netBuff

Dice Player has always played video more smoothly for me, but MX Player's interface looks a lot nicer. I haven't used MX in a few months though so maybe it's better now.

I think MX Player is the best: I like it for it's non-intrusive interface, customizeability as well as fantastic Hardware Video-Decoding support (definitively enable it in the settings for lower battery usage and smoother video - just enable all H/W checkboxes). It's also pretty handy for mp4 video streaming from websites (MX handles them better than Chrome). And in conjunction with File Manager HD it's also great for home network streaming.

Until Keep introduces tags, its no use for me! I need some kind of structure like endnote has!

Yeah, it won't replace Evernote for me unless it gets much more feature rich: I need the option to create different notebooks.

Everdred

I'm getting my Nexus 4 on Monday... What's the best music app combo? (Windows desktop and Android app). That will sync between the two, possibly include podcasts.

I know about:

Google Play
Spotify
Double Twist

Are any of these good? Better services?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Use Google Play. It will sync all your files. It won't sync play position, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm getting my Nexus 4 on Monday... What's the best music app combo? (Windows desktop and Android app). That will sync between the two, possibly include podcasts.

I know about:

Google Play
Spotify
Double Twist

Are any of these good? Better services?

There is no music app competent enough for playing podcasts.

Google Play is great, but I just started a subscription to Rdio and the app is very slick.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well that's a bummer, hopefully there are some good stand alone ones.

There is no shortage of fantastic podcast apps.

Pocketcasts, BeyondPod, Volkempsanger (or something like that), AntennaPod, DoggCatcher, all have vocal supporters. Some are free or have functional free versions.

Anybody else use Habit Browser? Holy crap it's amazing. So many customizable options, it has everything you'd want in a browser, sans gesture typing. Out of all the browsers I've tried, this came out on top.

Oh my goodness, this thing addresses the one problem I have with most browsers. No return to top/bottom buttons. Cheers for the link!

clav

Is there any good lockscreen app that works well with a stock TouchWiz ROM?

Seems like a lot of those third-party lockscreens can easily be bypassed with the home button even with the home button mapped to the lockscreen because of power on.

Also, seems like a lot of them do not support password protection.

bob page

Anybody else use Habit Browser? Holy crap it's amazing. So many customizable options, it has everything you'd want in a browser, sans gesture typing. Out of all the browsers I've tried, this came out on top.

I use it more to display information. Weather, Email, Text Messages, etc. Also, instead of unlocking my phone and looking at the notification menu to see what's there, I can click the icon directly from Dashclock and have the app open up as soon as I unlock my phone. Very convenient for me.

Also, if you have a Nexus 4, Nexus 4 Flashlight Widget should solve your problem.
Thanks for this. I've mainly been using the stock CM 10.1 browser but Habit seems blazing fast.

Sober

Any good offline (English) dictionaries? I find it odd the dictionary.com app for iOS works offline but the android one needs a connection to do something as simple as looking for definitions.

Sulla1980

Does anyone know if there is an app/setting where I can swipe to delete text messages? I have tried a few apps, and all of them appear to require holding down on the message to delete, but I would like something quicker.

Sulla1980

3rdman

I am currently having this issue: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51558333&highlight=#post51558333

Is there a recommended app to know what process/apps are running and killing my battery? I am worried cause the phone is also hot all the time and I want to discard 'faulty battery' as the root of the problem.

It's not going into Deep Sleep...What version are you running? It should be pretty easy to spot the problem on ICS or JB...

Setting-Apps-Running

Whatever app is listed at the top is likely your culprit. You could also try downloading "Better Battery Stats"...It'll give you detailed power consumption info. Let us know how you fare!

KarmaCow

What does it mean if an app is requesting permission for Google Billing Services? I got Bladeslinger from the Humble Bundle but it's asking for Device Access: Google Play billing service. I'm assuming it's related to in-app purchasing garbage but I don't necessarily want an app like that so readily able to access my credit card.

netBuff

What does it mean if an app is requesting permission for Google Billing Services? I got Bladeslinger from the Humble Bundle but it's asking for Device Access: Google Play billing service. I'm assuming it's related to in-app purchasing garbage but I don't necessarily want an app like that so readily able to access my credit card.

It's about in-game purchases and the app won't have direct access to your financial data.

Just started using the Airdroid beta. Between that and Splashtop, my phone and pc are quickly becoming two parts of the same device. It's really made me feel like I'm living in the future having such interactivity cross-device. Even if I've left my phone in my jacket, I can keep up to date with all my usual stuff and make sure I've got enough battery for whatever reason. I can stream music through my phone speakers when I get out of bed or have a shower and then instantly change to my pc speakers on a whim. Same goes for if I get tired but want to finish watching an episode of something.

I've yet to try it but I figure I can use airdroid while using splashtop and upload files directly to the phone from a different city as long as wake-on-lan is on and then I can just send my computer back to sleep when I'm done... Does that sound about right? I've not enabled wake-on-lan yet and wont be able to test it until sunday.

The next few years are gonna be amazing for this stuff, or so I hope.

jokkir

ZPlayer is a pretty neat music player. It's so bad on phones that has low RAM though like my Nexus S. It closes randomly sometimes >__>

Groof

What was that root only app that prevented background for some apps? is it good?

Edit: Greenify, so how is it?

It works pretty much as you'd expect it to. I use it on both my N4 and N7 and it's been keeping apps in check ever since I started. Pretty good, I'd say.

kinda random but i have a verizon galaxy nexus and i was wondering if their is a camera app through which i can use the physical power on/off button to take pictures..without having to root the deivce

what are these apps you are talking about..and is it even possible to use the power button to shoot after rooting ?
Camera ICS is one, there are many... And i have no idea if you can use the power button to take pictures with root. I don't even know if that's possible without kernel mods. I know some roms and mods let you use the volume keys as a shutter in any camera app though...

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hi,

I have a note 2,I'm wondering if there si any mod or app to have more than two one apps open, like with floating Windows?

So I've made an app for displaying random data, all of which is based on values input by the user minus colors and quotes. It's a wip but so far:

Integer Generator
Sequence Generator
Integer Set Generator
Raw Random Bytes - outputs in hexadecimal, decimal, binary
Decimals
List Randomizer
Passwords
Calendar Dates
Clock Times
Quotes
Colors

I will post a store link and screenshots shortly when Play is updated.

Top Bottom