• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I don't use ROM Toolbox Pro for my full backups as they've never worked when I needed to restore my phone for some reason. I just use Titanium Backup + Carbon for that. Haven't really relied on a full image backup anymore as I just make sure I keep a previously functioning ROM that I can flash and restore with the aforementioned combination of apps.

ROM toolbox does have a nice boot-animation tool that allows you to customize your boot animations super easily, and with a lot of animation options. They have kernel controls, adblock tools, and a bunch of other options that I would say are worth it if you're just using that tool alone to provide a host of functions for your device. The adblock works well for devices tethered to your phone, as it's hindered many a Hulu-watching session, so I had to disable it.

I don't use it anymore, as I've switched over to apps the serve one specific function, like Titanium for APK restores, Carbon for app data, Franco kernel for performance control. I don't use the boot-animation feature anymore, which is what it was essentially relegated to after I developed a workflow for crack flashing using other apps.

Can't really justify it myself, but the combination of cost for other apps that provide similar, but singular functionality is much more expensive. But I would recommend supporting those developers if you find you use them often anyway.
didn't the ad-blocking feature get removed because of Google getting rid of ad-blocking apps on the Play Store?

bob page

I don't use ROM Toolbox Pro for my full backups as they've never worked when I needed to restore my phone for some reason. I just use Titanium Backup + Carbon for that. Haven't really relied on a full image backup anymore as I just make sure I keep a previously functioning ROM that I can flash and restore with the aforementioned combination of apps.

ROM toolbox does have a nice boot-animation tool that allows you to customize your boot animations super easily, and with a lot of animation options. They have kernel controls, adblock tools, and a bunch of other options that I would say are worth it if you're just using that tool alone to provide a host of functions for your device. The adblock works well for devices tethered to your phone, as it's hindered many a Hulu-watching session, so I had to disable it.

I don't use it anymore, as I've switched over to apps the serve one specific function, like Titanium for APK restores, Carbon for app data, Franco kernel for performance control. I don't use the boot-animation feature anymore, which is what it was essentially relegated to after I developed a workflow for crack flashing using other apps.

Can't really justify it myself, but the combination of cost for other apps that provide similar, but singular functionality is much more expensive. But I would recommend supporting those developers if you find you use them often anyway.
Why use Carbon ontop Titanium?

bbdude

BTW, dice roll and card shuffle planned. Come on gaf what other randoms to add?

Random color

Give RGB and hex values (show the color in a square as well)

Bonus Points: assign a random name for the color depending on the hue range it falls in (Vagrant Green for random greenish color, etc)

3phemeral

didn't the ad-blocking feature get removed because of Google getting rid of ad-blocking apps on the Play Store?

I've no idea. I've been restoring all my apps from backup for the longest time now and last I checked, it was still there. I'm sure if I downloaded it from market, it'd be removed. Not sure since I don't use it. But if that's the case, I still don't personally recommend it. I'm sure other people have a use for it, but other than how I used to use some of its customization features, I haven't found myself using it with my semi-weekly nightly ROM flashing routine.

Why use Carbon ontop Titanium?

I was just backing up apps on my TF101 and for the longest time thought that Carbon only had app-data backed up. I didn't notice until today that I could also backup apps, but that the default is data-only. The first time I tried restoring a backup I was like, "wait, why is it asking me to restore from market?"

Even still, Titanium has the "flash apps from recovery" that Carbon doesn't, which saves a lot of time. The only downside to that is that Titanium automatically "restores" data to my apps as soon as it finishes rebooting. My only issue with Titanium is that it never seems to restore app data properly, but Carbon seems to do it perfectly, hence the combination of the two. That said, Titanium backup automatically prompts for phone-ID restoration upon start up upon fresh install on a new ROM flash.

I've no idea. I've been restoring all my apps from backup for the longest time now and last I checked, it was still there. I'm sure if I downloaded it from market, it'd be removed. Not sure since I don't use it. But if that's the case, I still don't personally recommend it. I'm sure other people have a use for it, but other than how I used to use some of its customization features, I haven't found myself using it with my semi-weekly nightly ROM flashing routine.
Yeah, I use Titanium Backup for backup and restore but I got ROM Toolbox when it was on sale someone in the past year or two so I could use the other options it has.

Anyway, i just checked and the ad blocker functionality is removed, but it does have DNS management and an option for reporting on what apps have what ad networks built in.

And the backup function has backup and restore of calls and messages now, I remember that being a strike against it before.

3phemeral

Yeah, I use Titanium Backup for backup and restore but I got ROM Toolbox when it was on sale someone in the past year or two so I could use the other options it has.

Anyway, i just checked and the ad blocker functionality is removed, but it does have DNS management and an option for reporting on what apps have what ad networks built in.

And the backup function has backup and restore of calls and messages now, I remember that being a strike against it before.

Ah, interesting. A lot of these old backup solutions I have were remnants of my app-buying spree when I first bought my Droid 2. Since then, Titanium backup has truly been the only mainstay of all my ROM-related apps. A majority of these apps from my hectic semi-broken TF101 does where you had to be careful what sb version you had, and even then, no one knew why certain things didn't work because overall support for it was just horrid and was only exacerbated by Asus' ICS "support." I had to find so many weird solutions to get that thing into recovery, it was ridiculous.

As for Carbon, I downloaded the apk a while ago when it was announced somewhere and was meaning to try it, but eventually acted on it once it became released on the market and I ended up liking it a lot after a successful app-setting restore. I tried Data Sync and I swear, that thing drained the heck out of my battery. Plus, it would always pop up for some reason, I'm not even sure why. Then there was the Beta version, which I wasn't sure what it was because you'd assume it was an old version, and not an actual DataSync Beta 2.0 (which is what it was).

Anyway, now that I'm happy with Carbon's data-restoration features, it's suddenly stuck on the second-to-last app it's backing up.

PaulLFC

Hm no idea. I've always just used Google music. Is that an option? I know it's not exactly what you are asking for.
I thought just after I posted that question that I've actually been using Google Music for a while, and it does do the job. For listening to my music when away, it's perfect. But at the same time, there's something cool about listening to a song, having to leave the room and just pressing a button, and the music carries on mid-song on your phone. I can hardly think of any situations where I'd actually use it though, just a "nice to have" I guess.

Doesn't DoubleTwist allow you to do this?
I'm not sure, I haven't used DoubleTwist since the early S2 days. I'll check it out, thanks.

when you say "streaming music from your PC to your phone" what do you mean exactly?
Basically being able to use my phone as a wireless speaker for iTunes or other media apps, so I can walk round with it and still hear my music. Not actually sure why, or when I'd ever use it over something like Google Music, but it'd be cool to have.

--

One thing I tried doing last night and was surprised isn't stock functionality - checking how many texts I've sent. I have a large allowance per month, but it's not unlimited, so I'd just like to see how many I get through a month, which is probably nowhere near my limit.

My old Sony phone used to list how many texts it'd sent and received, so I was surprised the stock Messaging app doesn't do it. Apparently Chomp SMS does, but I've not used it or any other 3rd party texting app before. Anybody know if it's any good?

SimleuqiR

Is there a way to have K-9 mail to have an unread messages notifier on the icon (yes, ala the iOS stock mail app)?

Paid version of Nova Launcher has this feature...though I assume you could probably find another launcher that does this for free?

Unread Counts
Never miss an email. Unread count badges for SMS, Missed calls, Gmail, Email, Google Voice and more. Counts show in the dock, desktop, drawer and folders.

netBuff

Paid version of Nova Launcher has this feature...though I assume you could probably find another launcher that does this for free?

Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher (which I prefer) are both worth buying regardless of this feature, seems like a reasonable purchase ;)

Thanks. As I'm new to this, what makes a launcher a launcher? Is that something more than just a regular app?

An alternative Launcher replaces the standard app launching interface present when pressing the "Home" button. Both Apex and Nova look like the stock launcher, but allow for more configuration and customization (denser app grid, for example).

Blackhead

Redarse
Tyype has amazing cursor control and text selection. Shame the rest of the keyboard is so basic. Someone needs to combine the ideas from tyype with the other swype-like keyboards.

joaomgcd

Sorry for the shameless self-promoting, but I though Tasker fans could get a kick out of the app I recently released: AutoNotification

It allows you to create advanced, interactive Jelly Bean Tasker notifications. Here is a small presentation video: http://goo.gl/MBviM

Hope someone here can enjoy it. :)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Sorry for the shameless self-promoting, but I though Tasker fans could get a kick out of the app I recently released: AutoNotification

It allows you to create advanced, interactive Jelly Bean Tasker notifications. Here is a small presentation video: http://goo.gl/MBviM

Hope someone here can enjoy it. :)

Very cool, I'll try it and report back!

Edit: I see it's a plugin for tasker and tasker is not free so I won't be able to test it lol

Jeels

So my friend showed me an app that allowed him to take a picture with his cell phone camera of a document, and it would automatically convert it to pdf and send him an email copy of it.

It would even covert it if the picture of the document was taken at an angle and the document didn't take up the whole camera shot. You'd be able to manipulate it (and some things were automatic).

Any idea what app this is?

Basically being able to use my phone as a wireless speaker for iTunes or other media apps, so I can walk round with it and still hear my music. Not actually sure why, or when I'd ever use it over something like Google Music, but it'd be cool to have.

there are a few ways you can go... there are UPnP compatible media players that allow remote control and will let you control them from Windows Media Player or other UPnP compatible players, there are AirPlay apps that should work with iTunes and there are apps that just stream media from your PC in combination with a separate PC app you have to install.

Threi

notag
Is it possible to add extra font faces for use with Minimal Text? I have a non-Rooted Skyrocket, if it matters.
Yup. Just make a folder called fonts in your internal memory and put in the font files (in standard .ttf form). You can also make it point to any folder (menu > global settings > fonts folder)

Minimalistic text should pick them up when you go to change your font.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So my friend showed me an app that allowed him to take a picture with his cell phone camera of a document, and it would automatically convert it to pdf and send him an email copy of it.

It would even covert it if the picture of the document was taken at an angle and the document didn't take up the whole camera shot. You'd be able to manipulate it (and some things were automatic).

My guess is either CamScanner or DocScanner.

PaulLFC

there are a few ways you can go... there are UPnP compatible media players that allow remote control and will let you control them from Windows Media Player or other UPnP compatible players, there are AirPlay apps that should work with iTunes and there are apps that just stream media from your PC in combination with a separate PC app you have to install.
Thanks, I'll have a look into some of the options for those tonight.

Just buy it from the Play Store. It's 2$ right now
Thanks, just bought it. £2 here, but still a good price.

Bit annoying that even if you select a transparent icon there's a constant notification in the notification area, even a "No active profiles" one when Tasker isn't set to do anything yet.

Thanks, I'll have a look into some of the options for those tonight.

Thanks, just bought it. £2 here, but still a good price.

Bit annoying that even if you select a transparent icon there's a constant notification in the notification area, even a "No active profiles" one when Tasker isn't set to do anything yet.

uncheck "Run in foreground" if you want to get rid of the ongoing notification.

jokkir

how the hell do you use Tasker?

it's so confusing......

It has a really steep learning curve. Just look for simple profile tutorials and learn from there. Simple tasks will be a simple state check while other complex tasks will need variables and stuff for error checking. If you have a background in a programming language, it's slightly easier to understand this part.

I'm still confused about it actually >__>

-Amon-

Ah, that sorted it, thanks!

Is there a Reddit client that handles tables properly? The ones I've tried seem to

format|everything|like|this|on
multiple|lines|and|it's|nearly|impossible
|to|read|properly

I'm not that a power user with Reddit so it could be a not that great advice but i like Reddit is Fun.

3phemeral

As mentioned previously, it's probably CamScanner (which is excellent, btw). But Evernote just updated their app with similar functionality. I've yet to try it, so I don't know how it compares.

antispin

Sounds like MDScan. I use it, it's great

ScOULaris

How is it best?

Subjectively it's the best (to me) in terms of its design and how well it integrates all of Reddit's features while also enhancing the experience along the way. The design with the Dark Holo theme is beautiful, the quick dropdown access to all of my subreddits is clean and functional, and the ability to swipe between content and comments (both are loaded simultaneously) is still unique to Reddit News.

Objectively it's the best because it pretty much nails every feature properly with very few bugs or quirks, and it does it while looking pretty to boot. Reddit Sync has been steadily improving, but it still has ugly thumbnail previews, awkward and sometimes broken handling of internal Reddit links (can break certain subreddits, like r/verypunny or r/bestof), and it doesn't load all of the comments in busier threads.

In recent versions of Reddit news, it offers "Load more comments" links under heavily nested comment threads. This saves bandwidth and allows the user to decide which long comment threads are worth loading and reading.

Basically, Reddit News is the perfect Reddit app at this point. Everything just works and looks great, with very few to no annoyances at all.

reKon

Banned
Greenify is one of the best apps I've ever used. My HP touchpad (CM 10, wifi turned off when it's sleeping) lost like 4% in 20 hours. I think that my GNexus idling time is better too. I don't greenify any messaging apps or gmail and I noticed that I always have much more ram available. I'd have to say at this point, the bottleneck for me the the processor.

bob page

Greenify is one of the best apps I've ever used. My HP touchpad (CM 10, wifi turned off when it's sleeping) lost like 4% in 20 hours. I think that my GNexus idling time is better too. I don't greenify any messaging apps or gmail and I noticed that I always have much more ram available. I'd have to say at this point, the bottleneck for me the the processor.
Does Greenify mess with apps like Cerberus?

bob page

I just installed SuperSU to use instead of Superuser. Do I need to install or disable Superuser to get SuperSU to be the default?

Top Bottom