• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Petrie

Banned
Quick question for Android GAF:

With Hangouts now streaming all your chats and texts in one area, is there a way to combine the 2 formally? Like if I text and GTalk with the same user, can that just be one stream on my phone or must they remain 2 separate chats?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for Android GAF:

With Hangouts now streaming all your chats and texts in one area, is there a way to combine the 2 formally? Like if I text and GTalk with the same user, can that just be one stream on my phone or must they remain 2 separate chats?

Nope lol.

mackattk

So SwiftKey has been lagging my phone. What's a good keyboard for Android?

You might want to at least give Minuum a look. It took me a little bit to get used to, but I can't go back to a conventional keyboard anymore. I really enjoy the extra screen space I get on my phone from using this keyboard, and it works pretty well. It isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Worth asking I guess. Seems like the next logical step to me. Merge them like you do contacts you know?

Yeah. That's what I was hoping for with the update ... but nope. It's a minor annoyance that I hope gets fixed in the next update.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah. That's what I was hoping for with the update ... but nope. It's a minor annoyance that I hope gets fixed in the next update.

Personally I'm just waiting for Google Voice integration and MMS and I'll be able to get rid of my phones stupid text plan.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Personally I'm just waiting for Google Voice integration and MMS and I'll be able to get rid of my phones stupid text plan.

It can do MMS already, but it's not granular.

So not counting online messaging.... a 1 v 1 convo is always SMS unless you send a pic/video and multiple people goes MMS. So it can do MMS, but you can't force MMS for a 1 v 1 conversation.

None of this is new though. Android-GAF has been bitching about this basically ever since we started the Android-GAF hangout. LOL

Petrie

Banned
It can do MMS already, but it's not granular.

So not counting online messaging.... a 1 v 1 convo is always SMS unless you send a pic/video and multiple people goes MMS. So it can do MMS, but you can't force MMS for a 1 v 1 conversation.

None of this is new though. Android-GAF has been bitching about this basically ever since we started the Android-GAF hangout. LOL

Voice can do MMS now, because I still do not get and pics of videos that are sent to my voice number unless I set up email forwarding.

Sorry for rehashing things that are common knowledge here though.

Schlep

Not sure how many of you guys use the official Twitter app but the latest update completely ruined it for me, it always crashes. I haven't found a really good app for Twitter for some time. I liked Falcon and Carbon but something was always off... But I found Tweedle today and was fairly impressed by how polished it is. Plus it has a number of themes and theming options.

I've used Plume since day 1 on Android back in 2010. Probably my favorite Android app.

Soodanim

Not sure how many of you guys use the official Twitter app but the latest update completely ruined it for me, it always crashes. I haven't found a really good app for Twitter for some time. I liked Falcon and Carbon but something was always off... But I found Tweedle today and was fairly impressed by how polished it is. Plus it has a number of themes and theming options.
I do like tweedle, but I really needs to start pulling tweets by itself. Fuck Twitter anyway, those bastards ruined their own app (double tap to favourite now, even on pictures where it is used to zoom in every other app that isn't instagram) and changed the API so that no other app can get favourites/retweet notifications. An easy work around is to just use Twitter for those and an alternative for everything else, but still.

You might want to at least give Minuum a look. It took me a little bit to get used to, but I can't go back to a conventional keyboard anymore. I really enjoy the extra screen space I get on my phone from using this keyboard, and it works pretty well. It isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it.
That looks interesting, but even though it's only a pound at the moment I'm not going to throw money at something I just want to try, possibly only for a minute or two. I just tried Fleksy and Multiling, but I can't get on with those at all. All roads lead back to Google Keyboard, even though I own Swype and SwiftKey.

mackattk

That looks interesting, but even though it's only a pound at the moment I'm not going to throw money at something I just want to try, possibly only for a minute or two. I just tried Fleksy and Multiling, but I can't get on with those at all. All roads lead back to Google Keyboard, even though I own Swype and SwiftKey.

Yeah, it really needs some sort of trial or demo or something. I agree about just throwing money at apps that I may or may not like. You do have the 15 minute refund window, but it isn't enough to really try it out.

The best Twitter app is Falcon Pro, no other alternative, Tweedle was fun until I realized the push notifications are really behind real notifications. Falcon Pro notifications show up at the same time as the Native app and at the same time as my desktop app.

Groof

The best Twitter app is Falcon Pro, no other alternative, Tweedle was fun until I realized the push notifications are really behind real notifications. Falcon Pro notifications show up at the same time as the Native app and at the same time as my desktop app.

There's a lot I like about Tweedle more, but Falcon is really the most fully featured and spot on app. Also, it has great TweetMarker support, which is the sole reason I never could commit to Tweedle.

profit

Anyone knows of an app that can track your listening progress of a podcast between devices?

When I'm out and about I usually listen to my podcasts on my phone (android), but when I'm at work I use my ipad. Basically an app that exists on both platforms, when I stop listening on my phone and start listening on my ipad, it plays exactly where I left off.

I doubt something like this exists, but it would be pretty awesome if something like that is out there!

PriitV

Anyone knows of an app that can track your listening progress of a podcast between devices?

When I'm out and about I usually listen to my podcasts on my phone (android), but when I'm at work I use my ipad. Basically an app that exists on both platforms, when I stop listening on my phone and start listening on my ipad, it plays exactly where I left off.

I doubt something like this exists, but it would be pretty awesome if something like that is out there!
Pocket Casts! But you'll have to buy it twice in that case.

profit

Pocket Casts! But you'll have to buy it twice in that case.

Thanks! I'll most likely buy it twice € 3.13 isn't that much anyway.

Horseticuffs said:
Yeah, this works pretty flawlessly if you stick to one ecosystem or don't mind buying it twice. They've done a lot of great updates in 2013, too. Much more usable now!

And thanks for confirming!

Soodanim

There's a lot I like about Tweedle more, but Falcon is really the most fully featured and spot on app. Also, it has great TweetMarker support, which is the sole reason I never could commit to Tweedle.

And yet neither of the bastard apps have the superior quote style retweet, instead opting for the outdated RT method. Carbon manages it, but that lacks theme customisation.

bob page

I have both Tweedle and Twitter installed and use Tweedle to browse, Twitter for notifications (notifications disabled in Tweedle). Then I greenify Twitter but still enable it to have notifications come through (using greenify donation package). Works great and I don't have to deal with interval syncing, Twitter's crappy interface, etc.

Soodanim

Go Launcher PRIME is Free for a limited time...

Go Launcher Prime Play Store

Installed to see what it is like (haven't used since my first Android that ran 2.3). It has a couple nice features and I think it even looks quite nice, but that's overshadowed by the rest of it.

As for being free, it is but not really. You go to the page that unlocks stuff, then it gives you the option to buy for $3.99, or install apps they show you for points (~40 for an app, ~250 to unlock "No ads").

thuway

Anything other than Aviate out there that totally transforms the Android experience? I've absolutely loved it. Looking for a list of essential apps. Also this twitter app blows :/.

Schrade

Anything other than Aviate out there that totally transforms the Android experience? I've absolutely loved it. Looking for a list of essential apps. Also this twitter app blows :/.

Falcon Pro is a great Twitter app.

There's some hoops you have to jump through to make it work though due to Twitter's policies.

It's way worth it though.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Launcher 8 pro is amazing. Gives your phone the look and functionality of WP8 with the app ecosystem of Android.

For the longest time I thought there was no longer any need for launcher apps. I even tossed aviate aside. Launcher8 is great, just great. I love what it does to my phone and I really think it's worth the pittance they ask for it.

ReRixo

Banned
Launcher 8 pro is amazing. Gives your phone the look and functionality of WP8 with the app ecosystem of Android.

For the longest time I thought there was no longer any need for launcher apps. I even tossed aviate aside. Launcher8 is great, just great. I love what it does to my phone and I really think it's worth the pittance they ask for it.

Just searched some youtube videos of this launcher, and I'm impressed with how smooth it is. Even the transitions look really good. I'm using a WP7 phone right now, and will be upgrading to android so will definitely be getting this launcher.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just searched some youtube videos of this launcher, and I'm impressed with how smooth it is. Even the transitions look really good. I'm using a WP7 phone right now, and will be upgrading to android so will definitely be getting this launcher.
It's an amazing purchase. Runs like butter on my Nexus 4. You've got a ton of customization options, too. This is my current home screen, with semi-transparant panels and being able to fit widgets how I need.
rJCwxw3.jpg

It's an awesome launcher.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone know if there is a simple app that will allow you to locate a tablet using another tablet or phone on the same network. I don't want anti-theft functionality just the ability to make it alarm so I can find it in the house.

SumGamer

Anyone know if there is a simple app that will allow you to locate a tablet using another tablet or phone on the same network. I don't want anti-theft functionality just the ability to make it alarm so I can find it in the house.

Device Manager by Google does the exact thing you wanted.

This may not entirely work in this thread, but I'm looking an app where I can make notes on Android it would sync with iOS, and vice versa. I want something simple where I don't have to do anymore than clicking "New Note" and it creates it. So Google Drive isn't quite what I'm looking for.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I was reading through this thread for Podcast App suggestions for my new Nexus 5. There are a LOT of suggestions. I have a huge back catalog on my PC of Mysterious Universe that I want to transfer over and listen to. On iOS, my big problem was the fact that file would reset it's playtime whenever I closed/opened the app (even after flagging the files as Podcasts). I just want a player that will work as a Podcast player and remember playtime, location, etc. without me having to jump through hoops.

If it's free, stable, and supported - all the better. If it costs a few bucks but it's worth it, I'll pay. I see PocketCasts mentioned, but also Podcast Addict, AntennaPod, etc etc. Anyone have any thoughts on an app based off of my above requirements?

Kansoku

So I was reading through this thread for Podcast App suggestions for my new Nexus 5. There are a LOT of suggestions. I have a huge back catalog on my PC of Mysterious Universe that I want to transfer over and listen to. On iOS, my big problem was the fact that file would reset it's playtime whenever I closed/opened the app (even after flagging the files as Podcasts). I just want a player that will work as a Podcast player and remember playtime, location, etc. without me having to jump through hoops.

If it's free, stable, and supported - all the better. If it costs a few bucks but it's worth it, I'll pay. I see PocketCasts mentioned, but also Podcast Addict, AntennaPod, etc etc. Anyone have any thoughts on an app based off of my above requirements?

BeyondPod free version is pretty good.

PaulLFC

If anyone has Spotify Premium, how is offline music management on the Android app?

I've had Google Music all access for a while now, but I've finally given up on hoping that they'll actually implement a decent system for managing what songs are stored locally. Given Google's decisions with not allowing MicroSD on the Nexus line it seems they expect everyone to have brilliant data plans these days, but that just isn't the case yet, at least not for me. 2GB, but that would get used up very quickly given how much I'd use music streaming were it not for offline song pinning functionality.

From what I can tell, Google only allows you to pin either whole albums, or playlists that you add individual songs to - but if you want to delete only some of those songs from your phone, you can't. It's either delete the whole album, or the whole playlist - at least as far as I'm aware, anyway.

Does Spotify let you pin and unpin individual songs within albums and playlists quickly and easily so that freeing up space on the phone once it runs low is easy?

Groof

Does Spotify let you pin and unpin individual songs within albums and playlists quickly and easily so that freeing up space on the phone once it runs low is easy?
Spotify works pretty much the same as Play Music from what I can tell. It's either an entire album or playlist, never individual songs. I don't think you can even choose where to download (internal or external storage).

PaulLFC

Spotify works pretty much the same as Play Music from what I can tell. It's either an entire album or playlist, never individual songs. I don't think you can even choose where to download (internal or external storage).
Thanks, that's a shame. Guess I'll stick with Play Music for now then. I'm surprised none of the services seem to offer individual song management, it doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to implement.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Create a play list and add individual songs to it. That's my work around.

Groof

Thanks, that's a shame. Guess I'll stick with Play Music for now then. I'm surprised none of the services seem to offer individual song management, it doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to implement.
Yeah, there's a distinct lack of micromanagement in these apps. But a song might be unpinned if it's deleted from the playlist? Never tried that tbh.

PaulLFC

Yeah, there's a distinct lack of micromanagement in these apps. But a song might be unpinned if it's deleted from the playlist? Never tried that tbh.
I was thinking the same myself just before. Deleted all of my stored music and I'm going to try adding a few songs to an offline playlist, then deleting some while keeping an eye on the app's storage space.

Edit: Can confirm the song is deleted once it's removed from the offline playlist, the amount of storage Google Music takes up reduces accordingly. Problem solved, although song management would still be nice, Google.

Top Bottom