• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Which one works better? Lightflow or Light Manger? I'm using Light Manager at the moment but I've heard good things about Lightflow too.

MNC

Im kind of getting sick of Dolphin browser. The shell is amazing with loads of options, but too many times the webview itself just won't respond properly to clicks or sites not loading and having to reload a tab.

My requirements:

Actual tabs like dolphin
Ability to disable image loading on 3g

Gimme a new browser GAF!

snack

Im kind of getting sick of Dolphin browser. The shell is amazing with loads of options, but too many times the webview itself just won't respond properly to clicks or sites not loading and having to reload a tab.

My requirements:

Actual tabs like dolphin

Gimme a new browser GAF!
Chrome.

Alpende

I'm using Chrome too and I don't find it too bad. Everyone hates it but I haven't had any problems.

Not that I use browsers all that much on my phone though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just recently picked up an Xperia Z1s and am looking for a good file browser. Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer are two of the best I've used. I think the free version of Solid is only a short trial so you're gonna have to pay for that if you want to keep using it.

Thanks a lot. Solid Explorer looks great. I don't mind paying as long as it's good.

Speaking of which, maybe it's just that Android offers free trials for most stuff (everything?), but the paid game ranking in the Play Store was kind of sad to look at. I guess people really just don't like to pay for stuff on this platform.

MNC

I'm using Chrome too and I don't find it too bad. Everyone hates it but I haven't had any problems.

Not that I use browsers all that much on my phone though.
If im not mistaken, chrome doesn't have tabs visible on screen and hides it behind an extra button press, which I don't want. I'd like to have them visible.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If im not mistaken, chrome doesn't have tabs visible on screen and hides it behind an extra button press, which I don't want. I'd like to have them visible.
If you use Xposed to change the mode to tablet mode it will show the tabs up top. It hides the ui when scrolling down then reappears when scrolling back up, which is one reason I don't use chrome. The address bar constantly appearing and disappearing is annoying as all hell and you can't turn it off.

The key feature of dolphin that no other browser has that means I can't leave Dolphin is the slide out bookmarks folder. Such a simple feature that makes using it so much better.

Alpende

Yup, that's true. I don't mind it that much. I usually have just one tab open. Plus I don't use an internet browser a whole lot on my phone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Posted this in the other Android thread, but is there anything I can download to implement device-wide dictionary functionality like exists on the iPhone? The kind where you can highlight a word and pop up a definition without leaving the application you're in.

mackattk

Have you tried Boat Browser? It has a tabstrip you can keep always visible. You can turn off images in its settings when you want to conserve bandwidth. There is a license key for extra features which I recommend if you stick with it.

I use boat browser, and for the most part I like it. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't preserve what pages you are on when you exit the app. Everytime I go back into Boat browser, it is on the launch page. Any tabs I had open are gone.

voodooray

I use boat browser, and for the most part I like it. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't preserve what pages you are on when you exit the app. Everytime I go back into Boat browser, it is on the launch page. Any tabs I had open are gone.

I have the setting enabled inside the "Labs" section, and mine remembers the tabs between sessons. I don't think its enabled by default though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I've been using Podkicker Pro for a while and I'm getting sick and tired with the problems it's giving me on my S3 (the play/pause button not working, aspects of the UI that I just don't like) and was wondering what people think of Pocket Casts. Anyone use it?

So I've been using Podkicker Pro for a while and I'm getting sick and tired with the problems it's giving me on my S3 (the play/pause button not working, aspects of the US that I just don't like) and was wondering what people think of Pocket Casts. Anyone use it?

Pocket Casts is fantastic. I was really into Doggcatcher for years, but a couple days with PC made me see the error of my ways.

Windam

Scaley member
Why does my phone lag with Swype? I have a Galaxy Note i717 (OG North American Note) and while typing with Swype that I bought from the Play Store, my phone will often lag. Anyone know of any effective cleaners or AVs for Android? I'm running stock TouchWiz 4.1.2, btw since Samsung made rooting the i717 and installing custom mods so unfriendly (random reboots everywhere).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Been trying out Boat Browser. Really digging it! Thanks for the recommendations.

Current favorite browsers: Dolphin, Next Browser and Boat.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Pocket Casts is fantastic. I was really into Doggcatcher for years, but a couple days with PC made me see the error of my ways.

Yeah I purchased Pocket Casts earlier today and am liking the UI so much more than Podkicker, and it actually plays podcasts correctly.

Yep. Really wish there were a PC app that would sync with Pocket Casts. That would be the best.

I've asked the developers if they would even be open minded about making a webapp/chrome app and the response I got was that they just aren't interested. I assume it's cause they wouldn't make any money off of it. Kinda sucks cause I really want one too!

Soodanim

Why does my phone lag with Swype? I have a Galaxy Note i717 (OG North American Note) and while typing with Swype that I bought from the Play Store, my phone will often lag. Anyone know of any effective cleaners or AVs for Android? I'm running stock TouchWiz 4.1.2, btw since Samsung made rooting the i717 and installing custom mods so unfriendly (random reboots everywhere).

That's Swype for you. I loved Swype, and still do, but its performance is crap. They even did an update, the description of which on the store says "This update is all about performance!" Have you tried any other keyboards?

It's a shame, because I like it more than Google Keyboard and SwiftKey, the latter of which I've reinstalled recently but still can't get that fast with. It is more focussed on predictions than fixing mistakes in the input, which isn't really how I work.

Swiftkey is so good that it made me hate typing on ios and windows 8.

The only thing I don't like about it is how laggy it gets when using it in Chrome. Typing stuff into the search bar can have a very noticeable lag to it when you first start to type something.

suoodS

Just recently picked up an Xperia Z1s and am looking for a good file browser. Any suggestions?

ES File Explorer

My requirements:

Actual tabs like dolphin

Gimme a new browser GAF!

Habit Browser

PaulLFC

Having a slight problem with Cerberus (anti theft) - it appears to be a bit too good at hiding itself to prevent unauthorised uninstallation, and now I can't find it on my phone.

If I visit it in the Play Store there's no "Open" option, only "Deactivate" - not sure what that does as I've never seen any other app with that option.

It's not in the apps list, or the app shortcuts list in Nova Launcher. The only place I can find it is the apps list in Settings, but selecting it there doesn't give me an Open option either.

Is there any way to get to it? I know I can use the web interface, but I wanted to see what its configuration options were on the phone.

Edit: Didn't think to log into the website, it has hide/unhide options. Problem solved.

Having a slight problem with Cerberus (anti theft) - it appears to be a bit too good at hiding itself to prevent unauthorised uninstallation, and now I can't find it on my phone.

If I visit it in the Play Store there's no "Open" option, only "Deactivate" - not sure what that does as I've never seen any other app with that option.

It's not in the apps list, or the app shortcuts list in Nova Launcher. The only place I can find it is the apps list in Settings, but selecting it there doesn't give me an Open option either.

Is there any way to get to it? I know I can use the web interface, but I wanted to see what its configuration options were on the phone.

Edit: Didn't think to log into the website, it has hide/unhide options. Problem solved.

there's a deactivate option because you gave it admin privileges so those have to be deactivated before you can uninstall it.

you can also get it from the dialer iirc. dial 23723787 (CERBERUS) and it will open.

Melchiah

Is there an app, that enables me to automatically block incoming calls when certain apps are being used (eg. games, audio & video recording)?

Soodanim

Swiftkey is so good that it made me hate typing on ios and windows 8.
Really? Did you stick with it for a while to get it to learn your typing ways, or did it just click for you straight away? I want to understand why so many people like it, but it's just not happening for me.

Is there an app, that enables me to automatically block incoming calls when certain apps are being used (eg. games, audio & video recording)?

Well there's Tasker of course, but I don't know how quickly any app will respond to calls. Tasker has a Call Divert function, and you can make it Divert all calls, but I don't know the point at which Tasker handles things, and more importantly, if your current app is interrupted. There are some phone options under the Secure Settings plugins Root menu, but my phone isn't rooted to see exactly what it does.

edit:
Or just use the two word answer that beat this post.

yogloo

Really? Did you stick with it for a while to get it to learn your typing ways, or did it just click for you straight away? I want to understand why so many people like it, but it's just not happening for me.

edit:
Or just use the two word answer that beat this post.

It took awhile before it clicked with me. At first I was sort of disappointed with it but I just kept using it. One day, I decided to use my iPhone and it was jarring. I typed so much slower without swiftkey.

Give it some time and the prediction will get better.

Pro tip:
Swipe back to delete a word.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've tried other keyboards and given them a week chance, but I always go back to SwiftKey. Why? Because it's only keyboard where I can type really fast without having to worry about deleting words and fixing my mistakes. Once it learns how you type, it's just so good. Also, the swype to delete words is just too convenient and awesome that I really miss that feature when I try other keyboards.

Soodanim

Jesus. Your app really does live up to its name now.

I've tried other keyboards and given them a week chance, but I always go back to SwiftKey. Why? Because it's only keyboard where I can type really fast without having to worry about deleting words and fixing my mistakes. Once it learns how you type, it's just so good. Also, the swype to delete words is just too convenient and awesome that I really miss that feature when I try other keyboards.

It took awhile before it clicked with me. At first I was sort of disappointed with it but I just kept using it. One day, I decided to use my iPhone and it was jarring. I typed so much slower without swiftkey.

Give it some time and the prediction will get better.

Pro tip:
Swipe back to delete a word.

So rewrite you use typing instead of swiping, but what about you yogloo? If I swipe then things seem to be fine, but I tend to prefer typing. The thing about typing with SwiftKey is that, at least for me at the moment, even a lone I will stay lower case unless I go back to it and choose SwiftKey's prediction of an uppercase I.

yogloo

I also type instead of using the flow keyboard. You pointed out a very good flaw of swiftkey. It sometimes goes crazy on deciding on what to capitalize. It is not a big deal to me though since 90 percent of my conversations are pretty informal.
The only time I swipe is to delete a word. It's so brilliant.

Top Bottom