• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I've yet to find that perfect sms app. :/ all the ones on the store have the most clunky interfaces and gaudy themes. Blergh.

Have you tried hello sms? Its UI is very minimalist. Only complaint is that it lacks certain key features like pop up txts, so it's pretty bare bones in that department, but hopefully some new features will be added later. Love the sleek minimalism of it though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello&hl=en

I've yet to find that perfect sms app. :/ all the ones on the store have the most clunky interfaces and gaudy themes. Blergh.

I switch between Textra, Sliding Messaging Pro, and Handcent on Sense 5 skin. I still haven't found a perfect SMS app either.

Textra is great but is lacking in customization but the other two are really bad when it comes to MMS on my phone.

VoxPop

Have you tried hello sms? Its UI is very minimalist. Only complaint is that it lacks certain key features like pop up txts, so it's pretty bare bones in that department, but hopefully some new features will be added later. Love the sleek minimalism of it though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hellotext.hello&hl=en

wow i absolutely love this app. well the UI mostly.. its really really bare bones right now. i would love to see where this goes after giving it some time.

I really hate texting on Android. It's completely seamless on my iOS devices and have everything I need. While I loved Textras simplicity, it looked like an app made by Fisher Price. Sliding Messaging was awesome back in the day before they went that whole Hangouts route with the sliders. Someone really just needs to make an amazing universal chat app. (please dont say whatsapp)

jokkir

As a caution to anyone using Hello SMS:

Lots of Reddit users are complaining that it mass texts to everyone in your contact list to download and use the Hello SMS app... without confirmation. But as of recently, I think the Hello SMS developers updated it so that it asks for confirmation. Even then, any slip of the finger could end up you mass texting an advertisement to that app to all your contacts in your phone. There also seems to be a problem with sending pictures and it sending automatically than awaiting confirmation as well. Apparently a guy sent dick picks to his mom or something (lol)

Here are some Reddit threads about this issue:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1rict5/beware_of_the_hello_texting_app/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1tp4ve/thats_the_last_straw_hello_sms/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1sj6vv/watch_out_for_messaging_app_hello_this_app/

I used to use Handcent and GoSMS, but they suck now. I use textra. Lightweight app and it has a popup feature. It's a bit buggy and doesn't pop up all the time, but it beats having to use GoSMS.

yogloo

I'm really liking hangouts for sms. Very nice and smooth.
Does android have a unified inbox app? I really miss that from my BlackBerry days.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm really liking hangouts for sms. Very nice and smooth.
Does android have a unified inbox app? I really miss that from my BlackBerry days.

No unified inbox.

Has anyone had issues with group messages, MMS, not going out with hangouts while on wifi? Work fine as soon as i turn off wifi.

Groof

No unified inbox.

Has anyone had issues with group messages, MMS, not going out with hangouts while on wifi? Work fine as soon as i turn off wifi.
I rarely ever send MMS so I can't say for sure, but I remember it used to be like that a lot. Something to do with how sending MMS is handled.

yogloo

No unified inbox.

That really sucks. Unified inbox is really useful especially considering the variety of chat apps that everyone uses. It's quite a mess having to jump around.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That really sucks. Unified inbox is really useful especially considering the variety of chat apps that everyone uses. It's quite a mess having to jump around.

I think that's on the people who use other services. Google Hangouts handles hangouts, SMS and MMS in one inbox. Other services are insular themselves.

Finally got around to picking up Kingdom Rush. Very fun TD game, but now I want to play it all the time and I have a ton of other games I'm currently playing! D:

Man, do you update the app like every day? :p not to be an ass, but you should put more things together before updating. It is a little bit annoying to have an update for the app so often.

Just my 2 cents :)

Not everyday but sometimes I get requests from people that need something for work so I like to put it in there for them :)

Jake.

is it possible to resize an image in snapseed? for the life of me i can't figure it out. if not, what's the best alternative?

Seriously running out of ideas for stuff to add to this app. Today I put this in:

Text: Alphabetize list/words
Paper weight
Paper size
Time Zones - Get time, abbreviations, abbreviations by region

Gaf, cmon need some more conversions to put in...ideas?? :)

Any other hello users having a problem receiving pics? I get a notification saying receiving message, but nothing ever comes and it just sits there. The app can't send or receive anything the entire time, I have to force close the app to stop it. This only happens when someone txts me a pic.

Any other hello users having a problem receiving pics? I get a notification saying receiving message, but nothing ever comes and it just sits there. The app can't send or receive anything the entire time, I have to force close the app to stop it. This only happens when someone txts me a pic.

No, but it seems that when I send a pic thru there, it is never received.

MNC

Looking for a nice clean holo app that keeps track of my TV shows and when new shows should be aired. Any ideas? I found "TV Show Favs" but it requires my account, so I'm not gonna try that unless it's recommended.

AnkitT

Looking for a nice clean holo app that keeps track of my TV shows and when new shows should be aired. Any ideas? I found "TV Show Favs" but it requires my account, so I'm not gonna try that unless it's recommended.

Best one is a tossup between cliffhanger and seriesguide. I prefer seriesguide.

XDDX

Cliffhanger works really well. It asks you to link an account with a website but you can just ignore that and use the app without an account.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how many of you guys use the official Twitter app but the latest update completely ruined it for me, it always crashes. I haven't found a really good app for Twitter for some time. I liked Falcon and Carbon but something was always off... But I found Tweedle today and was fairly impressed by how polished it is. Plus it has a number of themes and theming options.

Not sure how many of you guys use the official Twitter app but the latest update completely ruined it for me, it always crashes. I haven't found a really good app for Twitter for some time. I liked Falcon and Carbon but something was always off... But I found Tweedle today and was fairly impressed by how polished it is. Plus it has a number of themes and theming options.

Yeah, I use Tweedle and love it.

Top Bottom