• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I'm having an issue with the Google Maps voice navigation for a while now.

I don't know if it was purposefully done in an update, or if there's something wrong with my phone or the app, but for some reason the app no longer tells me street names when I am driving.

It will only say very simple things like "Turn right, then turn right" or "Turn left" or "Head north" or "In X feet, turn right."

I really liked it when the navigation would say the street/exit names because it made me more careful to look for them and it also helped me learn the areas I drive through. With the simple commands it's giving me I can often get confused when you're at strange intersections with more than one street to turn down to the left.

Is there some fix for this, or is this just how the navigation is from now on?

I just got a Nexus 5 and I'm pretty new to Android. How can I tell which widgets can be placed on the lock screen? Very few let me do this and I'm not sure how to tell.

Groof

I just got a Nexus 5 and I'm pretty new to Android. How can I tell which widgets can be placed on the lock screen? Very few let me do this and I'm not sure how to tell.

First, make sure you've enabled lockscreen widgets under Security>Enable widgets. After you've done that, scroll to the left on the lockscreen and you will find a button with a + in it. Press that and you get a list of widgets that are available for your lockscreen.

Is there an app that wirelessly mirrors the display from one android to another? Like from phone to tablet. All I get are android to tv.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up a Nexus 7, first time owning a tablet. Are there any apps that just work really well for tablets on android that I should check out? I have most of the basics already - Netflix, Hangouts, Reddit News etc. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just picked up a Nexus 7, first time owning a tablet. Are there any apps that just work really well for tablets on android that I should check out? I have most of the basics already - Netflix, Hangouts, Reddit News etc. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Nah just use what you want to use. Its not perfect by any means, but I feel the idea of android scaling apps works so its just use what you need.

Posting from my Nexus 7.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Then you should have bought a tablet instead of that huge phone.

Lucumo

Are there any good anime/manga related apps out there that aren't readers, watchers, wallpaper collections, music and don't include ecchi? Some good themes or otherwise interesting apps.
Apart from that, a Gundam game and/or a good tactical RPG with some depth that doesn't completely rely on IAP?

It's important though that they aren't data grabbing. Games and the likes don't need my location, phone call list or address-book.

3phemeral

Coursera finally released an Android app AND you can download old course material from classes. Should make it easier for those of us who ate always movin about, never really having long-term access to a desktop environment.

DemonNite

new horror game bundle on ikoid for $2.99

Enjoy a scary 77% off this Android game bundle including The Walking Dead: Assault, Forever Lost: Episode 1, Dungeon Nightmares, V for Vampire and The Spookening. Happy Android gaming!

NotBacon

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Speaking of keyboards, I'm trying and trying get both Swift key and the stock Kit Kat keyboard to learn swear words. Crucify me for being immature, I use certain words a lot and would love to stop having to backspace through the word "duck" all the time.

Am I doing something wrong here? I have the option to block obscenities disabled, so I don't know what else to do. Whenever it tries to change them I backspace, and fix. What more can I do, or is there a gesture-capable keyboard that isn't quite so puritanical?

Groof

IMHO Swiftkey's swipe typing implementation is by far the worst. Using it makes you realise just how much focused the keyboard is on regular tap typing that it just seems like a me-too feature. Swype is great, because that's what it was made for, but Google's implementation is also way on top. It's a smooth and generally accurate experience.

Not to mention Swiftkey's janky flow animations.

Speaking of keyboards, I'm trying and trying get both Swift key and the stock Kit Kat keyboard to learn swear words. Crucify me for being immature, I use certain words a lot and would love to stop having to backspace through the word "duck" all the time.

Am I doing something wrong here? I have the option to block obscenities disabled, so I don't know what else to do. Whenever it tries to change them I backspace, and fix. What more can I do, or is there a gesture-capable keyboard that isn't quite so puritanical?

Swifkey doesn't mind me cursing

PO8mGx3.jpg

Horseticuffs

Damn, it just isn't working for me in swift key! I've had some luck with stock keyboard by manually adding words to my dictionary, but "fuck" is still a nightmare and either gives me duck or tuck.

Fuck fuck fuck.
Fuck. Learn, damn you.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know if I posted about it before but I suspect I have. My favorite password manager is Dashlane. It took me awhile to find a nice app that synced and worked with my Android stuff and OSX. If you want to try it out, PM me for a six month premium invite.

I'm about to renew my subscription. Before I do so, does anyone have any other password manager suggestions? Syncing and the app being nice is a necessity.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nothing to do with it persay. No real way they'd know in general. Hell I just tested this theory and yep installs on my phone running the latest CM.

Has to be either a device specific bug, you are running ART and it's not compatible yet, or you can side load it to run just fine.

Horseticuffs

Levi

Banned
Switched from an s3 on 4.3 to an s4 on 4.4 and pocketcasts just doesn't work anymore. Can't search, can't add podcasts from the Discover tab, can't add via RSS. I checked reviews and other people on s4/4.4 seem to be okay.

I've rebooted by phone, and Uninstalled/reinstalled a few times now. What the fuck. I really don't want to go back to Doggcatcher.

Any ideas on stuff iI could try?

Edit: turns out switching my devices was just a coincidence, and the Pocket Cast servers crashed. What terrible timing, I'd laugh if I hadn't been driven crazy trying to "fix" it last night.

Anyone know a good football (soccer) app for latest scores and live updates etc? I normally use the rather excellent BBC Sport app but it's blocked by my provider while I'm using data. No idea why. Works fine when I have wifi but I need something for when I'm out and about.

Any recommendations?

Anyone know a good football (soccer) app for latest scores and live updates etc? I normally use the rather excellent BBC Sport app but it's blocked by my provider while I'm using data. No idea why. Works fine when I have wifi but I need something for when I'm out and about.

Any recommendations?

Soccer live scores. Constant updates, push notifications. It's not for live commentary though.

Top Bottom