• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Anyone know a good football (soccer) app for latest scores and live updates etc? I normally use the rather excellent BBC Sport app but it's blocked by my provider while I'm using data. No idea why. Works fine when I have wifi but I need something for when I'm out and about.

Any recommendations?

FotMob.

Hieberrr

Anyone know a good football (soccer) app for latest scores and live updates etc? I normally use the rather excellent BBC Sport app but it's blocked by my provider while I'm using data. No idea why. Works fine when I have wifi but I need something for when I'm out and about.

Any recommendations?
TheScore

I have $4.23 from Google Rewards. What practical/highly useful app should I buy, GAF, even if it's a few dollars more? I was thinking of going Prime with Nova Launcher, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

3phemeral

I have $4.23 from Google Rewards. What practical/highly useful app should I buy, GAF, even if it's a few dollars more? I was thinking of going Prime with Nova Launcher, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

If I recall correctly, you can only buy using Google Play Credit if that purchase is less than or equal to your credit amount. If it's more, you'll have to use another method of payment.

Shadownet

Banned
So I'm on my galaxy s5, and I'm trying to find a lock screen app for my phone. (trying to change it up, customizing it.)

But none of them really work. Cause whats the point of having a lock screen if you can just press the "recent apps" button and bypass the lock screen? So even if you have a password or patter lock on it. its basically worthless other than looking pretty.

So I'm on my galaxy s5, and I'm trying to find a lock screen app for my phone. (trying to change it up, customizing it.)

But none of them really work. Cause whats the point of having a lock screen if you can just press the "recent apps" button and bypass the lock screen? So even if you have a password or patter lock on it. its basically worthless other than looking pretty.

Have you tried Cover Lock Screen? It's a great lock screen that, when the stock lock pattern/PIN is enabled, it disables your recent apps button. Basically, if you watch the video at the link below, when you slide an app right to open from the lock screen, instead of the app opening, the pattern lock will open, then the app you selected, all with Recent Apps temporarily disabled.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coverscreen.cover

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

What phone do you have? Nova is dead with the new Google launcher, IMO. I'd get LastPass, though it's not as good at identifying password fields as Dashlane was.

if I root my Nexus 5, will I still be able to receive OTA updates if I continue to use the Google Now Launcher and no custom roms? I mainly just want to customize the default Google Now Launcher some more (hide apps etc...)

edit: just realized that this is probably the wrong thread. my baaaaad

3phemeral

As much a sI love the Google Launcher, it still doesn't feel as smooth as Nova. Not sure if it's running at a slower frame rate, but after using it for months I decided to switch back to Nova because I wanted the slidable dock and the speed difference was instantly noticeable. Not only that, but having a Moto X meant I really didn't need to have Google Now instantly accessible with the left-hand screen because I have Touchless Control.

Eanan

Heres my recommendations:

Plex (If you have lots of media on your PC and want to stream it)

Greenify premium (ONLY if you have a rooted phone AND xposed module)

snacknuts

we all knew her
What phone do you have? Nova is dead with the new Google launcher, IMO. I'd get LastPass, though it's not as good at identifying password fields as Dashlane was.

I still prefer Nova to GNL. I'm on Verizon, so it's nice being able to hide apps in the drawer, and I have several apps linked to gestures. Nova also runs smoother on my phone. With all of that said, I would definitely recommend paying the $4 for Nova Launcher Prime.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone try the third party Twitter app Fenix? I bought it last night, it's actually pretty good. Easily my favourite Twitter client so far, especially on my Nexus 7 with the big image previews.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone try the third party Twitter app Fenix? I bought it last night, it's actually pretty good. Easily my favourite Twitter client so far, especially on my Nexus 7 with the big image previews.

Have you tried Falcon Pro or Tweedle? Any comparisons?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried Falcon Pro or Tweedle? Any comparisons?
I've tried both of those as well. I ended up looming Tweedle more than Falcon but I've really liked Fenix so far. IMO the best layout, fastest loading for image previews and works great on my phone and tablet both.

thenexus6

Is there anyway to get emojicons while on swift key? They are built into the stock google keyboard but I can't seem to find them in swift key

Swag

Thanks, I just installed it. Since wish every time I am typing the "choose input method" thing appears in my toolbar.

So with this beta how does it receive updates? Obviously its not available in the app store.

Application has an expiration date, it'll prompt you that it's expired then you just download the new APK until it's out of beta.

Bboy AJ

I don't know if I posted about it before but I suspect I have. My favorite password manager is Dashlane. It took me awhile to find a nice app that synced and worked with my Android stuff and OSX. If you want to try it out, PM me for a six month premium invite.

I'm about to renew my subscription. Before I do so, does anyone have any other password manager suggestions? Syncing and the app being nice is a necessity.

OK, so I switched from Dashlane to Lastpass. Dashlane is a nicer app but it is not 3x as nice as Lastpass. It's $12 a year as opposed to $30. It's been about three weeks since I made the switch and there have been no major hiccups. Dashlane was good in that it auto signed you into websites. It bypassed the login page automatically. Dashlane is also better at finding log in text fields.

But again, not worth 3x the price. If you want to try it out, here's my referral link that will get you and me extra Premium time: https://lastpass.com/f?3409106

AndyD

aka andydumi
OK, so I switched from Dashlane to Lastpass. Dashlane is a nicer app but it is not 3x as nice as Lastpass. It's $12 a year as opposed to $30. It's been about three weeks since I made the switch and there have been no major hiccups. Dashlane was good in that it auto signed you into websites. It bypassed the login page automatically. Dashlane is also better at finding log in text fields.

But again, not worth 3x the price. If you want to try it out, here's my referral link that will get you and me extra Premium time: https://lastpass.com/f?3409106

Lastpass can do this too. Just enable auto-login for individual sites. The login page briefly appears then disappears, or on some sites it just skips it. BUt I think there is so much variety across websites and login methods that no extension will do it flawlesly 100%.

Updated this today with a bug fix but also changed the UI some

Clipboard admin is a clipboard manager for Android. The application runs in the background saving all copied text into an SQL DB for later viewing and/or modification. A system tray icon is enabled for easy access while also displaying your most recent entry.
Features:
- Sort via alpha, oldest, newest, modified date
- Create and sort by favorites
- Export to SD
- Edit/delete clipping
- Copy existing clippings
- Add custom clippings
- Delete entire db in one go
- Backup/restore db
tYOzPkB.png
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ..

snacknuts

we all knew her
After using Pure Calendar Widget for as long as I can remember, I finally ditched it this week after a recent update caused it to be unskinnable on my phone. I hunted around for a replacement and found Event Flow Calendar Widget. If you guys are in the market for an agenda/calendar widget, I would highly recommend it. It has a very Nexus-y feel to it and lots of customization options in the premium version ($0.99).

After using Pure Calendar Widget for as long as I can remember, I finally ditched it this week after a recent update caused it to be unskinnable on my phone. I hunted around for a replacement and found Event Flow Calendar Widget. If you guys are in the market for an agenda/calendar widget, I would highly recommend it. It has a very Nexus-y feel to it and lots of customization options in the premium version ($0.99).

That looks gorgeous, is there anything like this for GMail, I swear I have been looking forever.

PaulLFC

Are there any RSS reader apps that support feed authentication? I can't find any so far - GReader would be great except that's the one area that lets it down, it just refuses to add any feeds that need authentication.

mturco

This is what I use and it's even nicer in my opinion:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.underwood.agenda

Levi

Banned
Pocketcasts question: how do I get it to autoplay the next episode on the unplayed playlist when the prior episode finishes?

Sulla1980

Pocketcasts question: how do I get it to autoplay the next episode on the unplayed playlist when the prior episode finishes?

As far as I know, you have to tell it to "Play All" (it is an option in the 3 dot menu in the right hand corner).

I could be wrong, but that is how I do it.

Levi

Banned
As far as I know, you have to tell it to "Play All" (it is an option in the 3 dot menu in the right hand corner).

I could be wrong, but that is how I do it.

Cool. I was hoping there was a way to make this a default behavior, like Doggcatcher. I'm still not going back! Lol

Sulla1980

Cool. I was hoping there was a way to make this a default behavior, like Doggcatcher. I'm still not going back! Lol

Yeah, Pocketcasts has some things that take getting used to. When I came from iOS (where I used Downcast) a few years ago I was pretty disappointed in what Android had to offer in terms of podcast apps, particularly in terms of playlist controls and option. However, Pocketcasts is continually improving, and I have come to really appreciate the work of the developers.

Top Bottom