• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Nemesis_

What's the best app for Twitter? Do people still think it's Seesmic? I tried twicca but I have to install so many plug-ins, not sure if it's the best.

I also feel Plume is just too crowded.

Damaged

What's the best app for Twitter? Do people still think it's Seesmic? I tried twicca but I have to install so many plug-ins, not sure if it's the best.

I use Ubersocial but mainly just because i used it on my blackberry and i cant be bothered to get used to a new app

jokkir

I still find the official one to be the best. It may not be the prettiest but it gets the job done (or at least whatever I need to do)

JordanKZ

Am I right in thinking that the official Android app is mostly just a port of the official iPhone twitter app?

That does kind of suck and it's slightly worrying... I doubt we'll ever get a nice holo themed Android twitter app.

I still find the official one to be the best. It may not be the prettiest but it gets the job done (or at least whatever I need to do)
I use the official one as well. Hated the others and most of them looked like hack jobs instead of official work. The official one might look boring, but at least it looks official lol

Does such an app exist to make a sound when you press the button to shut your screen on and off?

A few quick Google searches didn't help me at all. Hoping someone in here knows.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone having issues with Instagram on Android? For the past few hours its been unusable and crashed 100% of the time. Googled the issue and it seems to be happened to several other people as of this afternoon.

Can't figure out what the issue is, Ive literally changed nothing between the time it worked and the time it stopped. This is on a Galaxy S2 (TMO)...

kehs

Banned
I'm just about tired of having ics browser + close after every four pages....any recommendations for a browser with anything similar to quick controls?

jokkir

Anyone having issues with Instagram on Android? For the past few hours its been unusable and crashed 100% of the time. Googled the issue and it seems to be happened to several other people as of this afternoon.

Can't figure out what the issue is, Ive literally changed nothing between the time it worked and the time it stopped. This is on a Galaxy S2 (TMO)...

No problem here. Try clearing data maybe? Or if you're rooted fixing permissions?

Also, is the OP going to be updated anytime soon?

EDIT - There's an update for Instagram. Maybe it fixes your problem?

Dead

well not really...yet
No problem here. Try clearing data maybe? Or if you're rooted fixing permissions?

Also, is the OP going to be updated anytime soon?

EDIT - There's an update for Instagram. Maybe it fixes your problem?
Yeah that update fixed the crashing issues

GaussTek

I've been using TweetCaster and liked it more than Plume.

I'm just waiting for another Windows client to support Tweet Marker so I can sync my unread tweets between devices :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been using TweetCaster and liked it more than Plume.

I'm just waiting for another Windows client to support Tweet Marker so I can sync my unread tweets between devices :D

I just use twitter.com and the Tweetmarker Chrome plugin -- that doesn't work for you?

Mr_Zombie

why would I get instapaper when I already have pocket

I wanted to ask the same question. Looking at various reviews Instapaper offers the same functionality as Pocket so I really don't see a reason to switch. Especially since one is free (I bought it when it was still RIL though) and one is paid.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wanted to ask the same question. Looking at various reviews Instapaper offers the same functionality as Pocket so I really don't see a reason to switch. Especially since one is free (I bought it when it was still RIL though) and one is paid.

just depends what you use really. i've been using instapaper since it came out so pretty easy decision. not sure what it adds i mean as much as i use them these RIL apps aren't exactly rocket science just comes down to what fonts layouts etc you like pretty much

Zeppu

That would prove his point. He'll make more money making cheap nursing timers on iOS than high-quality Android apps.

Well to be fair from what I've read in reviews so far, apart from being free, Pocket is better than IP (on Android) because it supports video. Also, looking at screenshots, visually pocket looks nicer too.

It's only proving the point that if you ignore users on a different ecosystem for so long, others will come in an take your place even if you've had the superior product for so long.
Case in point:
Pocket > Instapaper > Read it Later

Also, I bought Read it later because I needed a similar app. I knew IP was better at that point but it wasn't out for android.

Mafro

Downloaded the app, but Instapaper seems to be having problems just now. I can't connect at all and the site is down.

why would I get instapaper when I already have pocket
Pocket for Android doesn't work with articles on sites that are behind pay walls. If Instapaper allows you to do that, then personally that makes Pocket obsolete for me. I'll know once I can actually log into the bloody app.

The Verge have done a write-up http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/4/3061693/instapaper-for-android

Blackhead

Redarse
I hope less than a thousand people buy this app because that's what that hipster coder deserve.

I actually bought Paper Mâché for a higher price but couldn't use it because I refused to pay the Instapaper third party tax on principle. This official app doesn't come with the subscription requirement but the UI looks worse :/

numble

Well to be fair from what I've read in reviews so far, apart from being free, Pocket is better than IP (on Android) because it supports video. Also, looking at screenshots, visually pocket looks nicer too.

It's only proving the point that if you ignore users on a different ecosystem for so long, others will come in an take your place even if you've had the superior product for so long.
Case in point:
Pocket > Instapaper > Read it Later

Also, I bought Read it later because I needed a similar app. I knew IP was better at that point but it wasn't out for android.

Video is different for something that's supposed to help you timeshift your readings. Instapaper can get around paywalled articles, for instance.

Zeppu

Video is different for something that's supposed to help you timeshift your readings. Instapaper can get around paywalled articles, for instance.

I actually didn't know that. And by supports video I think (again this is from what I read around since I didn't buy Instapaper) it's for embedded videos in articles you select to read later.

Instapaper > Pocket because you can send your saved articles to a Kindle with Instapaper.

You don't really need that functionality to be built in for an app to have it in Android. There are apps which install a Send to Kindle option in your sharing menu.

Edit: Anyway, I never used Instapaper so I shouldn't really be commenting. I just don't see a reason to switch now that I'm comfortable with Pocket.

tino

Banned
The only thing Pocket can't do is suck down Engadget comments for offline reading. It does download The Verge comments properly if you set to mobile agent.

So if Instapaper can download Engadget comments for offline reading I am willing to give it my hard earned money. I read articles in the subway all the time so I need a good offline reader. I don't subscribe to any paid wall so that function does nothing to me.

So far the most competent offline downloader is still Opera Mini. Too bad it keep the saved files in memory not in SD card.

Mafro

Hmmm, managed to finally log into Instapaper after the servers stopped getting hammered. It appears to have synced over everything from the Liked and Archive folders, but not the actual Read Later folder.

Very helpful. I just saved a random article online to test and it gets sent to my iPad fine, so it's an Android-specific problem.

SimleuqiR

Welp, with that attitude I might as well try Pocket!

Don't even care for these read it later apps, but I will support a developer that bets on Android early on. It's not even about free.
Fuck these LTTP guys that come in with this shitty smug attitude.

Top Bottom