• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

numble

i'm not one to talk about snark but that comment sparked this entire shitstorm discussion.
I think 2 people responded to it before and I explained myself. Then I felt like there was a rational discussion on the merits and deficiencies on features revolving around time-shifting paid content, if you regard it as a "shitstorm," it started when I was explaining what I thought were the merits of Instapaper's paywall circumvention technique. There somehow was some weird discussion about the relevance/irrelevance of Instapaper not saving multi-page articles in the past, and whether that was a bug or not, as if past issues are relevant. Then there were the sudden GTFOs.
So am I expected to post "u mad" or something? I think I brought up good points, and we seemed to be having a discussion. It's odd for you to do this abruptly in the middle of it, and what's this, the third time now to end a conversation? *Shrug*

SimleuqiR

Microsoft today introduced a new Android application which aims to automate your life with custom alerts and notifications. Called on{x}, the app lets users create somewhat detailed rules that run and/or respond to events on their handset or tablet. Let's say you want your phone to automatically tell your girlfriend where you are with exact coordinates every time she texts "where" to you. Done. Maybe you need an extra prompt to get your butt to the gym. You can configure on{X} to remind you should you skip out a few days in a row.

http://www.androidguys.com/2012/06/...tomate-your-life-with-new-onx-app-for-android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.onx.app

ZKwRZuD_oDXcNZJo4W4xcoQn6HGJNzEH2LX5zHT9CxYMgC_a0dBmdV75ZI3K7599Mjr0

MS: "Gotta make sure we keep getting them $10.00/Android-handset!!"

EDIT:

WARNING!! THIS REQUIRES FACEBOOK LOG IN.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
After months of dealing with the piece of shit that is the Google Listen podcast app, I finally uninstalled it and downloaded one that seems to work flawlessly- Podkicker. Paid $2 for the full version. God what a piece of trash Listnen was, on my Moto Droid at least. Google should be ashamed. It never loaded podcasts properly, podcasts would restart at the beginning at random, usually couldn't skip forward (which is a pain when the podcast restarts on its own), and the lack of a download feature was the last straw. Really poorly designed app. Does anyone else have these troubles with Listen?

Blackhead

Redarse
After months of dealing with the piece of shit that is the Google Listen podcast app, I finally uninstalled it and downloaded one that seems to work flawlessly- Podkicker. Paid $2 for the full version. God what a piece of trash Listnen was, on my Moto Droid at least. Google should be ashamed. It never loaded podcasts properly, podcasts would restart at the beginning at random, usually couldn't skip forward (which is a pain when the podcast restarts on its own), and the lack of a download feature was the last straw. Really poorly designed app. Does anyone else have these troubles with Listen?
Yeah Listen sucks. Podkicker is quite good and the developer is still active.

Did anyone try that Tweagle app (twitter + 4square)? It's very basic but a clean UI

SimleuqiR

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My Crappyvision Cablevision (Optimum Online) connection sometimes dips under 5 Mbps. I remember the days my account used to hit 10-15 Mbps down without a hiccup.

have you tried "boost" hahah. honestly back when i was in ny boost made my connection go from terrible to fantastic

can't say the same about comcast -- their "boost" made my connection go from completely usable to occasionally usable

ymmv

Al-ibn Kermit

Depends on how you look at it. For the mesh you'd have less overall battery drainage.

That's assuming everybody has a padfone. Or some other device that lets your phone piggyback directly off its battery. Regular USB charging wouldn't even be enough to charge your phone faster than it uses power if you're streaming a lot of data.

panda21

wait on{x} is made by microsoft?!

how odd.

the whole idea of trying to get average people to write javascript for their phones when there are simple apps that do the same thing already is so crazy that i assumed it must be some small project.

Zeppu

MS: "Gotta make sure we keep getting them $10.00/Android-handset!!"

EDIT:

WARNING!! THIS REQUIRES FACEBOOK LOG IN.

It's cool that MS/Google have understood that different ecosystems exist.

Also, hot damn that chick driving the car in the youtube video.

What is the best app to lock certain photos from showing up in your Gallery? The one I'm currently using seems to make my Gallery just not load at all at random times.

SimleuqiR

What is the best app to lock certain photos from showing up in your Gallery? The one I'm currently using seems to make my Gallery just not load at all at random times.

Stored on your phone phone? QuickPic can hide/unhide folders for you rather easily.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Gonna give on{x} a try, all the down votes appear to be due to the Facebook login and probably due to the Javascript coding (though I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how in depth it goes). I know Javascript anyway so shouldn't be a problem. Interesting idea and I'm assuming some sort of small test project.

Salsa

vCH-6ZpXyqxFoo_tnz1roA7GYB3y39BFu3zemeET8E_4FVc_n00E-dBhgbOsEBpeog=w705

wins

Is there any way to have the address bar in my browser show up at the bottom of my screen? It's annoying when i'm holdin it one handed and I have to slide my phone down in my hand to reach the top. Dropped it already a couple of times doing this. Maybe my hands are too small.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I use Pocket Casts, which I prefer the UI in by miles over all of the alternatives. But for some reason it's been a real pain about dl'ing stuff the past few weeks. Might have to switch :/

Zeppu

This man is correct. I've fallen in love with this since you just set it up and forget about it. The only problem I've encountered is that the option to start playing on jack plug only seems to work the first time after the phone is restarted. All times after that I have to manually open DG, at which point it starts playing automatically.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I do wish it was slightly prettier though.

JordanKZ

This man is correct. I've fallen in love with this since you just set it up and forget about it. The only problem I've encountered is that the option to start playing on jack plug only seems to work the first time after the phone is restarted. All times after that I have to manually open DG, at which point it starts playing automatically.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I do wish it was slightly prettier though.

Gotta say, I've always preferred BeyondPod over DG. Maybe it's just me?

Zeppu

I remember trying it and not liking it a while ago. Can't really remember why now. I kinda never gave it another chance.

Doopliss

I use BeyondPod. It was the best free podcast app and since getting an unlock key in a sale I've never really felt the need to check out alternatives. The only thing I don't like is that the settings are really bloated, but that's not a big deal once it's all set up.

The notifications screen widget which they recently added for controlling playback is extremely useful. Do all the other players have that?

Mafro

Is anyone else having a problem with articles in Instapaper not showing up in the Read Later folder? They sync over fine in my Like and Archive folder but not that one. I've tried reinstalling the app and everything but it doesn't fix it. A bit annoying as by the time I found out it wasn't working, it was way after the 15 minute refund period due the the annoying server problems they had meaning you couldn't log in. I contacted their support email, but still haven't had a reply.

jokkir

Looks like Chrome Beta got updated today. I'll test it now

Chrome for Android Beta has been updated to 0.18.4531.3636 on Google Play. In addition to changes through Chrome 18.0.1025.166 and a minor reorganization of Settings options, this update focuses primarily on stability and performance improvements.

Known issues:
113041 : No way to auto-hide the toolbar
114964 : Error pages are not optimized for mobile / Android devices
Other notable issues listed here

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Pocket Casts has a broken widget that only works half the time, at least for me, so I can't use it.

BeyondPod works the best for my needs.

_Isaac

I went through a period where I was trying a bunch of podcatchers. I eventually had it down to Doggcatcher and Beyondpod. I absolutely could NOT decide which one to stick to. I really liked how Doggcatcher had the player on the bottom at all times. I eventually decided to stick to Beyondpod because I liked the UI a tad bit better, and it just looked nicer. I'm kinda having doubts now though. :p

Ocho

Pocket Casts has a broken widget that only works half the time, at least for me, so I can't use it.

BeyondPod works the best for my needs.

I've noticed it only stops working when you force close the app (dismiss from multitasking menu).

FillerB

I am in Canada and I believe it's a samsung galaxy.

Check whether it's already rooted/has ClockworkMod Recovery installed. If so you should be able get into the recovery menu and wipe all settings. Most commonly this is done by powering the phone on while holding either Volume Up or Down.

If not, I'm not sure whether it's possible to get the phone rooted without actually having access to the phone itself. I would think it is, if you physically take out the sd-card and put the necessary files on it, but I'm not sure as I don't have a Galaxy myself.

Basically, if possible, get ClockworkMod Recovery on it and wipe everything.

tino

Banned
I went through a period where I was trying a bunch of podcatchers. I eventually had it down to Doggcatcher and Beyondpod. I absolutely could NOT decide which one to stick to. I really liked how Doggcatcher had the player on the bottom at all times. I eventually decided to stick to Beyondpod because I liked the UI a tad bit better, and it just looked nicer. I'm kinda having doubts now though. :p

I ended up with BeyondPod. I think the interface make more sense. Things are more compenenized.

Petrie

Banned
I'm looking for an app to be able to run things on my PC at home via my phone (I admit its so I can run my Diablo 3 Auction House from work). Is Logmein able to do this, or is there some better app for that purpose?

yogloo

I'm looking for an app to be able to run things on my PC at home via my phone (I admit its so I can run my Diablo 3 Auction House from work). Is Logmein able to do this, or is there some better app for that purpose?

Splashtop works well for me... the ios version. Well, I've never used the android version since for some reason it is never on sale while the ios version is on sale all the time. I suppose it should work all the same.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
On{x} is great, I wrote a bit of code that texts my housemate telling him he's a bellend every single time I unlock my phone.
He was less impressed...

R1CHO

I recommend Foldersync:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.full

It uses the usual cloud services (dropbox, box, Gdrive...) and blows away their apps, A LOT of options for syncing folders: manual, automatic, scheduled, subfolders, 1 or 2 ways, deleting files or not etc. etc.

There is also a free app that even with limitations, is quite great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.remote

50% off now, I got it, its good, probably the best 'remote desktop' kinda thingy I have used.

I havent tried running games through it though, but I doubt there would be much problemo.

Does it work using your lan conection? Or it goes to the internet regardless?

markot

Banned
I recommend Foldersync:

It uses the usual cloud services (dropbox, box, Gdrive...) and blows away their apps, A LOT of options for syncing folders: manual, automatic, scheduled, subfolders, 1 or 2 ways, deleting files or not etc. etc.

If you are home it uses your network, otherwise you can set it up to go through the nets.

tino

Banned
I recommend Foldersync:

Multiple sugarsync and box.net account? Holy crap why did I spend 5 bux referals to expend my dropbox account?

If you have a no-ip.org type service running in your home box you can just put in your no-ip domain address and the network will figure out the rest no matter where you are.

I have a personal domain so I added a pointer on my web host so home.mydomain.com also point to that no-ip address which make it neater.

Top Bottom