• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

G17

Chrome for Android doesn't include the "Quick Controls" labs feature that is in the default browser? That's a shame.. the Quick Controls feature has just made browsing on a mobile phone so much more natural and enjoyable.

Zeppu

Flipboard was a bit of a disappointment to me because it's like they just converted the iOS app. Doesn't use the APIs to access your google/twitter/fb accounts and sharing/sending to pocket/instapaper is also built-in, instead of using the share feature like we're accustomed to on Android. Still a very beautiful app, but I can't help but feel sad when stuff like this happens.

Silly Flipboard, this is now how we do it!
InHOwl.png

kehs

Banned
Is anyone using a clipboard application? Like when want to share a link, but have it go to the clipboard instead of another app.

I'm currently sharing to the messaging app and then copy pastaing the link, but it feels too much like an iOS workflow.

Chrome for Android doesn't include the "Quick Controls" labs feature that is in the default browser? That's a shame.. the Quick Controls feature has just made browsing on a mobile phone so much more natural and enjoyable.

Nope. =( They opted to use the left/right gestures to change tabs instead. Poor decision especially with the size of the GN.

_Isaac

sharing/sending to pocket/instapaper is also built-in, instead of using the share feature like we're accustomed to on Android.

Wow. Built in is so much better. It's faster than the share feature. At least it's a lot better than the way Pulse does it.

Zeppu

Wow. Built in is so much better. It's faster than the share feature. At least it's a lot better than the way Pulse does it.

That hardly compensates for having to log in to my social networks from the app, and having the app dictate what I can share to.

Ocho

I agree! It's simply more convenient for me, even if I have to log in one time during app setup. I can't imagine gReader without a simple send to whatever button.

EagleEye

Neo Member
Hey guys! You should try out BlastZone 2 for Android, it is a game I made. It is a 2D/3D shooter game with great graphics, fun gameplay and tons of levels, weapons and ships to try out. There is a lite version to try out as well. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys would have for it!

Check it out!

www.BlastZone2.com

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been using Google+ on my iPad. The experience is not that optimal but man, it is beautiful. It's a shame no one I know uses G+.

iavi

You can't remove the omnibar from the top anyway. I'd definitely join in mourning with you if the option for fullscreen was there, but without it the quick controls would honestly feel redundant.

Nope. =( They opted to use the left/right gestures to change tabs instead. Poor decision especially with the size of the GN.

Must be my big hands. I absolutely love the fast tab-switching on chrome mobile.

SimleuqiR

Anyone know if it's possible to make the ICS Google Music Tablet widget available on a phone? I mean the widget is so damn tiny for tablets, and yet you can't use it on the phone? Wouldn't it be just the same size as the 4x1 Contact Widget?

burnfout

I started a company that build a 3G speedtest platform, to test and compare the performance of the mobile operators. Currently we are live in The Netherlands and we just started in the UK.

This is how it works:

With the app you can check and compare your mobile connection and on the website you can track all your results and find the average of all your measurements.

All the measurements get uploaded into our database, and on the website we can compare all the operators ( in a country and also city ).

The website: www.blitsen.com

The Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grappetite.blitsen.speed.basic&hl=nl

The iPhone app:
http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/b.-speed/id481979801?mt=8

Also for both versions there is an ad-free version available.

Hope you like it, would love to hear your feedback!

Some pics:

bRSs6l.png

a9Xhpl.png

tino

Banned
I tried the new firefox beta... it's fucking terrible.

Scolling is pretty smooth close to the top or the bottom, but in the middle is awful. I got dizzy just by looking at the scolling.

And the ergonomic is dumb. They move away from the old swipe left for tap UI, I don't care either way. But there is no quick access to reload, close tab and bookmarks. How do people use this crap?

kehs

Banned
Which file managers support wifi direct, anyone using them yet?

I'm using "File Manger" but there's no wifi direct support yet.

r1chard

Just installed the new Evernote on my tablet. Have used the web clip Chrome plugin on my desktop a few times so also paid for the Web Clip app (3rd party, not Evernote). It's nothing like the desktop experience. Just dumps the whole page. Better than nothing, I guess, but ....

kehs

Banned
What's "wifi direct"? Plenty of them can connect to network server (ftp, smba, sftp etc.)

The devices connect to each other over wifi directly, no router/network needed in the middle. Like bluetooth transfer, but faster since they tend to be N devices.

kehs

Banned
calling it gets me to voice mail, its turned off, clearly someone got it

would have been handy right after i lost it, now i feel worse :(

Do it anyways, if they decided to turn it back on, as soon as it connects the app will get pushed over. Assuming their's a simcard still in.

Mr_Zombie

Do it anyways, if they decided to turn it back on, as soon as it connects the app will get pushed over. Assuming their's a simcard still in.

IIRC you can still use an android phone without a simcard. So even if they remove simcard, but don't remove your current account, and somehow get connected to Internet (Wi-Fi) the app should still work.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there a way to know why "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."? It's really frustrating.

Developers have the ability to not support specific devices, in addition to filtering out devices based on the hardware configuration (keyboard, storage space, resolution, tablet/TV/phone.) It could be for any of those reasons.

luoapp

Developers have the ability to not support specific devices, in addition to filtering out devices based on the hardware configuration (keyboard, storage space, resolution, tablet/TV/phone.) It could be for any of those reasons.

It would be nice if they can be more specific than just "it's incompatible". And you know what, 9 out of 10, it will still work if I manage to sideload it. ( I know, I know, piracy, etc., but lots of them are free anyway). This is the most clear evidence that fragmentation is hurting Android. And it's not just the fragmentation itself, but also the thinking of "better being on the safe side if we can't test them all".

Edit: just to make my point, I went to Total Commander 's website and downloaded the Android version. Guess what, it works! Surprise, surprise!

Mr_Zombie

I tried to change the default DPI of my phone's screen to a custom one in order to achieve greater resolution. However, even though apps worked and looked fine (I had most of them backed up through Titanium Backup), when I tried to download them through Play, the market kept saying that they are "not compatible with the device". It was really frustrating :|

I tried to change the default DPI of my phone's screen to a custom one in order to achieve greater resolution. However, even though apps worked and looked fine (I had most of them backed up through Titanium Backup), when I tried to download them through Play, the market kept saying that they are "not compatible with the device". It was really frustrating :|

Yup, known issue. I end up just switching back to the default DPI about once a week to check for updates.

Zeppu

It would be nice if they can be more specific than just "it's incompatible". And you know what, 9 out of 10, it will still work if I manage to sideload it. ( I know, I know, piracy, etc., but lots of them are free anyway). This is the most clear evidence that fragmentation is hurting Android. And it's not just the fragmentation itself, but also the thinking of "better being on the safe side if we can't test them all".

Edit: just to make my point, I went to Total Commander 's website and downloaded the Android version. Guess what, it works! Surprise, surprise!

If you're on the market, just expand your device list and hover over every device, and it will tell you why it's incompatible with every specific defice.

Ocho

So I noticed Market Enabler is no longer in the market and the market enabler apps I have installed no longer work. Is this the end? Google finally learned how to block this? Any solutions?

moojito

So I noticed Market Enabler is no longer in the market and the market enabler apps I have installed no longer work. Is this the end? Google finally learned how to block this? Any solutions?

This rom I have on my phone changed its identity from an acer liquid metal to an htc desire and I couldn't use my bank's app. I had to change some stuff in the build.prop file to get it back to showing up on the market as a liquid metal. I don't know if that was a rom specific thing, or if you have to have it rooted, but it worked.

tino

Banned
Is there any package tracking service act like Tripit? You forward the tracking email and they will track the package for you?

Darkkn

File manager Total Commander hits the Play Store.

482fda4dd86b9e15f6e101fb5ef72cb0_215.jpg

I've been using Solid Explorer as my file browser and it's really good. Problem with others, i found is that they are really hideous and not ICS -like at all.

This one is quite nice looking and with all the functionality that i could imagine a file explorer having, plus a couple of neat things like ability to link Dropbox account and copy files to/from there.

Can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) app for cataloguing games/movies?

One with a windows compatible companion software would be nice, but not essential.

Salsa

so im so fuckin stubborn that i went ahead (with some help from my sister) and bought the phone that i lost again.

Only difference this time is that in one (cheaper than straight up retail) payment on what is supposed to be a never used mint phone on the latin american Ebay equivalent. Supposedly has the film over the screen and whatnot.

Seller is a chick who was pretty mixed qualifications on the site but most of the negatives or neutrals are like "sell didnt go through but nice people, everything ok", probably gonna check it out on Thursday, and we'll see if its mint.

I hate doing this crap but i couldnt get a new one from my provider until 2013 and i got way too used to apps and the like. Just hope i have time to check if everything is working properly before i get home with a new phone that turns out being not-so-new :/

I know its totally OT, but any advice?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what are the best agenda/calendar apps for android?

I use Business Calendar which is a great calendar app and it has a nice widget. I also used Simple Calendar, which is just a nice simple widget.

What exactly do you need it to do? Builtin calendar may be just fine if all you need is a widget.

Top Bottom