• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Thanks for the advice, My Nexus gets shit battery life.

Getting friendcaster.

edit: Are there any other widely used apps that I should kill? Twitter or such?

tino

Banned
There is something about playing Grand Theft Auto 3 that was such a monumental impact on gaming back in PS2 days that is now a $.99 app for my cell phone (at a higher HD resolution and smoother IQ no less!) as an adult is kind of surreal.

I brought it just for this reason. I look forward to play COD4 on my phone.

Darkkn

Bought Mini Motor Racing from the sale. It's really good with very good controls via 'wheel' control scheme that i have not seen in other games. Graphics are very good also. Highly recommend on that price!

Google Play Store

Mafro

Another vote for Friendcaster (I've got the Pro version). The ICS-style layout looks so much better than the official Facebook app.

g0tm1lk

Grand Theft Auto III is incompatible with your device. :(

Is there any other way to buy the game? I may upgrade my device in the future but I would like to pay 0.99 for it right now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It constantly works in the background, so yes.
As funkystudent said, use Friendcaster. The only drawback of the app is that it can't access posts that your friends set up as private. Other than that, it's better than the official app on every level.

So what is the opinion on using friendcaster and plume vs seesmic which combines fb and twitter.

sun-drop

ive been using the beta for a while now ..the most amazing thing is the smart auto space.

it's kinda funny they have made the space bar bigger when you actually end up using it less ...just type with out using the space bar and see if yr self

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I use Plume for twitter, it's pretty nice and not taxing on the phone.

but if there's one that's better for twitter, I'm willing to try it for sure. what's the best rss app btw? I'd like one that synchs with google reader.

SimleuqiR

I use Plume for twitter, it's pretty nice and not taxing on the phone.

but if there's one that's better for twitter, I'm willing to try it for sure. what's the best rss app btw? I'd like one that synchs with google reader.

The Google Reader App?

VanWinkle

I've been trying to find a music service that's enough like Zune Pass/Zune Software in preparation of upgrading to an Android phone (galaxy s3) from my WP7 HTC Trophy. I was recommended Spotify, but I researched it in depth and found that's it's just not what I'm looking for (too different from zune pass and zune software). However, doing some research, I found Rdio. Now, the desktop software IS a little iTunes-esque like Spotify which I don't like, BUT it alleviates most of the problems I had with Spotify's desktop interface, too (I absolutely hate just having a giant list of songs like a spreadsheet, instead of everything organized into smaller sections like Zune software). So while it looks slightly like iTunes, Rdio functions more like Zune software.

The only thing is, I have no idea how good the Android app is. I'd like to have a really nice Android app to go along with it since the new phone is the main reason I'm wanting to get a new subscription service. Rdio looks like it may be perfect, but only if the app is great, too. So does anybody here use Rdio, and could tell me how the Android app is?

Blackhead

Redarse
I've been trying to find a music service that's enough like Zune Pass/Zune Software in preparation of upgrading to an Android phone (galaxy s3) from my WP7 HTC Trophy. I was recommended Spotify, but I researched it in depth and found that's it's just not what I'm looking for (too different from zune pass and zune software). However, doing some research, I found Rdio. Now, the desktop software IS a little iTunes-esque like Spotify which I don't like, BUT it alleviates most of the problems I had with Spotify's desktop interface, too (I absolutely hate just having a giant list of songs like a spreadsheet, instead of everything organized into smaller sections like Zune software). So while it looks slightly like iTunes, Rdio functions more like Zune software.

The only thing is, I have no idea how good the Android app is. I'd like to have a really nice Android app to go along with it since the new phone is the main reason I'm wanting to get a new subscription service. Rdio looks like it may be perfect, but only if the app is great, too. So does anybody here use Rdio, and could tell me how the Android app is?

Rdio Android app gets a refresh, adds ICS support and new design

Android niceties (a collection of screenshots encompassing some of the best, most beautiful looking Android apps.) : rdio

reKon

Banned
I feel like a fucking idiot. Why did I avoid Pulse for this long?

This app is really great.

Oh and Flipboard is now on the Play store. Damn it, just great, now I'll have to choose...

kehs

Banned

Oh and Flipboard is now on the Play store. Damn it, just great, now I'll have to choose...

Pulse > Flipboard

You get more data surfaced at a time than flipboard.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

It's a great app, pulse that is. I'm impressed it's free and runs extremely well too.

Salsa

flipboard > pulse IMO

at least now after some flipboard updates

it just works better for me, and faster. Not to mention better implementation to save things directly to Pocket

Dwayne

Google Currents > Flipboard :D Only because I cant sync all my stories with one press and read them on the train without internet access.

Cudder

After all of the many news apps I've tried, I keep going back to Pulse. You just get a multitude of stories and information on screen at once and its just easier to manage. Flip board and Currents are nice, but I'd rather not have to thumb through a bunch of pages to get all my stories.

SimleuqiR

Pulse > Flipboard

You get more data surfaced at a time than flipboard.

flipboard > pulse IMO

at least now after some flipboard updates

it just works better for me, and faster. Not to mention better implementation to save things directly to Pocket

Google Currents > Flipboard :D Only because I cant sync all my stories with one press and read them on the train without internet access.

Zite > Flipboard >>>>> Pulse

Nothing, nothing beats Google Reader for consuming RSS feeds. No glitter! No sparkle! Just headlines. Every other app is pretty, with pictures and all that jazz, but that takes way from going through hundreds of article headlines and picking which one to read (or read it later with Pocket).

That said, I do love Flipboard's new integration with Google+, and the integration with Reader is not too shabby either.

Flipboard Vs Pulse
  • Flipboard is prettier than Pulse.
  • But Pulse gives you a larger choice of articles to gaze upon with nice pictures.
  • I use both for curated articles

Personally I've been doing this for reading articles:

Google Reader (Chrome or Android App) - If I don't have the time to read the entire article I Pocket it (also through the Chrome extension or via Android share to Pocket).

Second choice is either Flipboard or Pulse, fallowed by Google+.

kehs

Banned
Nothing, nothing beats Google Reader for consuming RSS feeds. No glitter! No sparkle! Just headlines. Every other app is pretty, with pictures and all that jazz, but that takes way from going through hundreds of article headlines and picking which one to read (or read it later with Pocket).

That said, I do love Flipboard's new integration with Google+, and the integration with Reader is not too shabby either.

Flipboard Vs Pulse
  • Flipboard is prettier than Pulse.
  • But Pulse gives you a larger choice of articles to gaze upon with nice pictures.
  • I use both for curated articles

Personally I've been doing this for reading articles:

Google Reader (Chrome or Android App) - If I don't have the time to read the entire article I Pocket it (also through the Chrome extension or via Android share to Pocket).

Second choice is either Flipboard or Pulse, fallowed by Google+.

Speak of the devil.

Google Reader update for some tablet fixes.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-reader-updated-tablet-usability-fixes

G+ is about to replace my pulse usage to be honest. Currents, I still like for it's presentation.

How did the fuck did I miss Pocket? I got it during that 10 cent sale, but never really bothered with it. Wow, it's perfect for what I need since I spend as much time browsing on my tablet compared to the pc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yep, that's what I would have suggested as well. I wish it had more customization of the agenda, but it works quite well the way it is.

Top Bottom