• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Anarkin

A friend has a problem with Google Talk. She can't video chat with her brother, both using SGS2. The video chat icon doesn't appear next to his name. I'm having the same issue with some of my contacts.

vdlow

It's the same app. When I open the link it shows the option to update the app, not install. The thing is that if your device, for some unknown reason, doesn't come with Google Calendar, now you can download it from Play Store.

mantidor

So I tried AirDroid and is great but I don't usually have access to a wi-fi connection, is there anything similar using bluetooth? internet hasn't been of help with this.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone use Talk.to?

It's a Gtalk/Facebook cross talk app. Looks pretty good. I don't really chat on facebook so I can't really test it.

Futureman

is there any music player that saves where you've navigated to? Google Play Music doesn't seem to. Like if you navigate to a specific album, hit app switcher and browse Chrome for a minute, and then switch back to Music, it throws you back out to the top of your artist list instead of staying where you were. Really annoying and makes browsing around a pain.

AndyD

aka andydumi
A friend has a problem with Google Talk. She can't video chat with her brother, both using SGS2. The video chat icon doesn't appear next to his name. I'm having the same issue with some of my contacts.

We use Google + hangouts, they work much better. I think they removed or are removing video chat from Talk and replacing it with + hangouts. Eventually I imagine we will have one unified app for all rather than multiples.

It looks identical to the stock calendar app. Is there a difference?

As said above for those without the app we can now have it. Samsung, HTC and others replace the stock calendar app with their own version.

JonnyBrad

is there any music player that saves where you've navigated to? Google Play Music doesn't seem to. Like if you navigate to a specific album, hit app switcher and browse Chrome for a minute, and then switch back to Music, it throws you back out to the top of your artist list instead of staying where you were. Really annoying and makes browsing around a pain.

They just fixed bullshit in the play store. So hopefully someone will now fix in in play music.

Futureman

I've also noticed that Chrome almost ALWAYS has to reload my tabs when I switch back to Chrome. What's up with this? I thought that was an iPad 1 w/ 256 MB problem... not a GNEX problem!

rc213

I had a T-Mobile Galaxy S2 and I never had video chat as an option in Google Talk. I used QIK until Google+ came along.

BiggNife

Has anyone noticed Chrome crashing if you try to copy or cut text? Not sure if this is specific to the GS3 or not.

It does manage to save the text to the clipboard but it always crashes immediately afterward.

Between this and the super annoying SwiftKey autocorrect bug I'm thinking of dropping Chrome until the next update and switching to Firefox.

New Swype Beta with multiple Tablet layouts & lots of other stuff

Swype for Tablets: Swype has taken tablet innovation to the next level by offering a choice of three different keyboard layouts for tablets: the original keyboard, a small and moveable keyboard, and a split keyboard. So no matter what style keyboard, people can stay connected and productive from anywhere.

tBdtm.png

http://beta.swype.com

Goldrush

I am planning to go to Japan soon. While I know that I would not be able to use 3g and phone calls without significant charges, does the same apply to gps? Would I be able to use maps, field trip, and translate without Internet? Is there a program that would be able to track my location without eating the battery excessively?

panda21

I am planning to go to Japan soon. While I know that I would not be able to use 3g and phone calls without significant charges, does the same apply to gps? Would I be able to use maps, field trip, and translate without Internet? Is there a program that would be able to track my location without eating the battery excessively?

i'm almost 100% sure GPS is completely free wherever you are. i've used it myself with google maps when i'm travelling and its amazingly useful.

unfortunately i don't think the new google maps offline mode works for japan, so if you want to use maps you'll probably need to downgrade to an older version of google maps somehow and then use the labs 'precache map area' feature.

afaik field trip is only for the US anyway. for translation you might get by with a japanese dictionary app.

Vek

GPS is independent of phone data and calling (just make sure that those things are off!). I did a similar thing to what you're planning - preload the maps either at home or using hotel wifi and use GPS to locate yourself. Didn't cost me a penny, but remove your sim just to be sure. You could take out the sim now and test the GPS before you leave as well.

Anony

anyone else updated swype?
swype turns on my gps 24/7 now, i had to disable gps to save battery, no option to disable it from that i see
fucking garbage update

tino

Banned

You should just spend a few dollars and get an offline dictionary.

Google map has offline function, just cache the cities you are going. But don't expect the lookup part of google map work properly. Usually google apps rely on the internet too much.

Use Mapdroyd. Completely free and designed for offline map usage. Cache whatever posts of the world that you want to and then you're good to go!

anyone else updated swype?
swype turns on my gps 24/7 now, i had to disable gps to save battery, no option to disable it from that i see
fucking garbage update
it's a bug.

David Johnstone @ Swype said:
We have found and are fixing the bug. When this issue occurs it happens on initial launch only if there is no location data already available on your device.

If you are experiencing it, this should resolve it immediately:

- Force-stop the Swype Beta application.

You can force stop the Swype Beta application via Android Settings > Apps > Swype Beta > press the "Force stop" button. Please keep in mind I have listed this menu item flow as it appears on my device, a 100% stock Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.2 - your own device's menu verbiage may vary.

So others are not affected, we will release an OTA (fixing this and a few other issues) as soon as we finish coding and testing them - the update will be released as soon as possible! If you follow the step listed above and see anything counter to what we've described, please feel free to shoot me a PM!

We collect this location information as part of the Backup & Sync feature to help us understand how the feature is being used.

Thanks everyone for your patience, this was an edge case we didn't see.

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.p...ing-battery-by-enabling-GPS&p=36123#post36123

Has anyone had problems with the latest NPR app update? Like, with EVERYTHING? I thought the app had loads of problems before, but the update just went FUBAR and now the stability is like Windows ME and I had to uninstall. NPR are so clueless tech-wise.

Is there a way to remote control my phone on my PC? AirDroid is nice, but I'm looking for something that shows the homescreen, apps and everything.

Pretty much like the webtop from Motorola.

OdeKa.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SwiftKey still isnt fixed ? Screw them....bought the software and cant use it to type in forums ? How the hell is such a mayor bug still not fixed ?

BiggNife

What's the bug exactly?

If you use Swiftkey with the latest version of chrome on a S3, autocorrect acts weird. Sometimes instead of replacing a misspelled word with the corrected one like it should, it keeps the misspelled word and puts the corrected word in the very beginning of the text box, writing over whatever text was there and completely ruining whatever you were writing.

For example, say I wrote a post saying "Hello, how are thinsg?" Instead of correcting the misspelling of the word "things," it will instead rewrite the first word so it looks like "things how are thinsg?"

This seems to happen for any place in Chrome where there's a text field - forums, google, browser email clients, etc. There's a swiftkey support ticket about it here: http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/...170532-incorrect-placement-of-autocorrections

I tweeted them the support ticket and they responded immediately afterwards asking for more info, but they haven't followed up since then. I'm probably going to tweet them tomorrow to see if I can get them to respond again. Because of this bug I've switched to Firefox for the time being. I still prefer Chrome but being able to actually type forum posts now without everything getting ruined if I spell something wrong is a nice plus.

The thing that got me is that on a Google search it can just become the longest word repeating a bit and when you try and correct it writes the entire word again.

JB's keyboard does pretty good at being Swiftkey like so I'm not bothered.

BiggNife

The thing that got me is that on a Google search it can just become the longest word repeating a bit and when you try and correct it writes the entire word again.

JB's keyboard does pretty good at being Swiftkey like so I'm not bothered.
I used to have that bug too but it was fixed in the last update.

This bug is a lot more frustrating for me because it happens in any text field in Chrome, and I do a lot of forum browsing on my phone so it sucks when I can't respond to a post because all my text got ruined.

Doesn't seem to be a super common bug, though. I think it might be specific to the Samsung Galaxy S series. Most people I know who have had the problem are on a S3, but someone said it happened to them on a S2 as well.

SwiftKey still isnt fixed ? Screw them....bought the software and cant use it to type in forums ? How the hell is such a mayor bug still not fixed ?

Sounds like it's more of a Chrome bug. I've heard Swype is also messed up in Chrome. SwiftKey works fine in other browsers.

If you use Swiftkey with the latest version of chrome on a S3, autocorrect acts weird. Sometimes instead of replacing a misspelled word with the corrected one like it should, it keeps the misspelled word and puts the corrected word in the very beginning of the text box, writing over whatever text was there and completely ruining whatever you were writing.

For example, say I wrote a post saying "Hello, how are thinsg?" Instead of correcting the misspelling of the word "things," it will instead rewrite the first word so it looks like "things how are thinsg?"

This seems to happen for any place in Chrome where there's a text field - forums, google, browser email clients, etc. There's a swiftkey support ticket about it here: http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/...170532-incorrect-placement-of-autocorrections

I tweeted them the support ticket and they responded immediately afterwards asking for more info, but they haven't followed up since then. I'm probably going to tweet them tomorrow to see if I can get them to respond again. Because of this bug I've switched to Firefox for the time being. I still prefer Chrome but being able to actually type forum posts now without everything getting ruined if I spell something wrong is a nice plus.

I had this problem a while back, but it seems to have gone away with the new builds of the custom JB ROM I am using. It was annoying, though. This is on my Galaxy S, running SlimBean.

fritolay

Is there a way to remote control my phone on my PC? AirDroid is nice, but I'm looking for something that shows the homescreen, apps and everything.

Pretty much like the webtop from Motorola.

OdeKa.jpg

Yes. Get a MHL connector to view the data. Then get bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I use this with my Galaxy Nexus

Menaged

I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but I think I do.
Try TuneWiki.
I didn't try too many music players, and it has a bit of problems, but I love it for it's little features like the sleep timer, and the queue managment.

Yes. Get a MHL connector to view the data. Then get bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I use this with my Galaxy Nexus

I'm sorry, I probably wasn't specific enough and that picture of the webtop setup didn't help.

I want a "remote desktop" app for Android. I want to put my phone on my dock, type the IP and port into my browser window on my PC and see and control the Android home screen on my PC. AirDroid is close, but I really want to see the home screen and control the apps on my phone.

See if tripadvisor has an app for the cities you are going to, the Paris and London apps have offline maps and tons of info on things to see, and do etc...

Is offline GPS navigation in Android good like nokia one? Specifically Galaxy s3 or note 2. Thanks.

You can download an area before you go offline, but route calculation still requires a data connection.

I miss my 5800 just because of the Maps application from Nokia. Simply perfect; you can search, select a route, go anywhere you want in the country (provided you had the map downloaded before) and all that with voice navigation while being offline. Also, free!

Google Navigation comes close, if only they can let me search and select a route while offline too now...

You can download an area before you go offline, but route calculation still requires a data connection.

I miss my 5800 just because of the Maps application from Nokia. Simply perfect; you can search, select a route, go anywhere you want in the country (provided you had the map downloaded before) and all that with voice navigation while being offline. Also, free!

Google Navigation comes close, if only they can let me search and select a route while offline too now...

that's the thing. This map thing and camera are the only thing I am considering 920 more than Note 2 at this moment. Still few months to decide.

Top Bottom