• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

You can download an area before you go offline, but route calculation still requires a data connection.

I miss my 5800 just because of the Maps application from Nokia. Simply perfect; you can search, select a route, go anywhere you want in the country (provided you had the map downloaded before) and all that with voice navigation while being offline. Also, free!

Google Navigation comes close, if only they can let me search and select a route while offline too now...
There's an app for that.

NavFree, among others.

iNvid02

not sure if new news

Android apps used by millions vulnerable to password, e-mail theft

android-app-640x431.jpg

Android applications downloaded by as many as 185 million users can expose end users' online banking and social networking credentials, e-mail and instant-messaging contents because the programs use inadequate encryption protections, computer scientists have found.

The researchers identified 41 applications in Google's Play Market that leaked sensitive data as it traveled between handsets running the Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android and webservers for banks and other online services. Their research paper didn't identify the programs, except to say they have been downloaded from 39.5 million and 185 million times, based on Google statistics.

"We could gather bank account information, payment credentials for PayPal, American Express and others," the researchers, from Germany's Leibniz University of Hannover and Philipps University of Marburg, wrote. "Furthermore, Facebook, email and cloud storage credentials and messages were leaked, access to IP cameras was gained and control channels for apps and remote servers could be subverted." Other exposed data included the contents of e-mails and instant messages.

Example of vulnerabilities included:

- An anti-virus app that accepted invalid certificates when validating the connection supplying new malware signatures. By exploiting that trust, the researchers were able to feed the app their own malicious signature.

- An app with an install base of 1 million to 5 million users that was billed as a "simple and secure" way to upload and download cloud-based data that exposed login credentials. The leakage was the result of a "broken SSL channel."

- A client app for a popular Web 2.0 site with up to 1 million users, which appears to be offered by a third-party developer. It leaked Facebook and Google credentials when logging in to those sites.

- A "very popular cross-platform messaging service" with an install base of 10 million to 50 million users exposed telephone numbers from the address book.

ars

xxczx

If you use Swiftkey with the latest version of chrome on a S3, autocorrect acts weird. Sometimes instead of replacing a misspelled word with the corrected one like it should, it keeps the misspelled word and puts the corrected word in the very beginning of the text box, writing over whatever text was there and completely ruining whatever you were writing.

For example, say I wrote a post saying "Hello, how are thinsg?" Instead of correcting the misspelling of the word "things," it will instead rewrite the first word so it looks like "things how are thinsg?"

This seems to happen for any place in Chrome where there's a text field - forums, google, browser email clients, etc. There's a swiftkey support ticket about it here: http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/...170532-incorrect-placement-of-autocorrections

I tweeted them the support ticket and they responded immediately afterwards asking for more info, but they haven't followed up since then. I'm probably going to tweet them tomorrow to see if I can get them to respond again. Because of this bug I've switched to Firefox for the time being. I still prefer Chrome but being able to actually type forum posts now without everything getting ruined if I spell something wrong is a nice plus.
It's not just for S3, happens on other devices like my OneX. Bug went away when I updated to a custom JB ROM, any ICS ROM and it appears again.

Gaaraz

What's the best app for like shopping lists?

Not grocery or anything, just a standard app that I can make a list of items I need to buy when payday comes next week so I don't forget and can tick/cross them off when I've brought them.
I know you said not groceries, but for your needs I 100% recommend OurGroceries, it syncs across all devices too (so my girlfriend can add things on her Android phone, I can add them on my iPhone, iPad or a web version etc)

And it's free! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.headcode.ourgroceries&hl=en

Failing that, Wunderlist is amazing too - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...Bo_wq54IWvsv4Q-hA&sig2=q3sSSh5eQDOEhBTBx0EhLg

See if tripadvisor has an app for the cities you are going to, the Paris and London apps have offline maps and tons of info on things to see, and do etc...

I'm curious about this as I'm leaving for New Zealand in a couple days. Is there something I should look for exactly, I only see their single app.

Also I saw someone mention there was a way to download maps from Google. How do I do this? Are there any other useful "download ahead of time" apps that are recommended? I've got a 32GB card loaded, so space is hardly an issue.

I'm curious about this as I'm leaving for New Zealand in a couple days. Is there something I should look for exactly, I only see their single app.

Also I saw someone mention there was a way to download maps from Google. How do I do this? Are there any other useful "download ahead of time" apps that are recommended? I've got a 32GB card loaded, so space is hardly an issue.

Mapdroyd. Just this. It can download the entire planet in advance if you want. Completely gratis.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDMsImNvbS5vc2EuYW5kcm9pZC5tYXBkcm95ZCJd

Gaaraz

Mapdroyd and the Tripadvisor apps look great, thanks!

I'm finally switching over from my iPhone 4 today (only had my S3 for around a month now...) but have a few questions:

1) Is there anything out there similar to iMessage? Or, for example, a way to integrate normal messaging with WhatsApp, that will automatically detect if the recipient has the client, or needs a regular text message?

2) Anything similar to GameCenter? I know I won't get the (awesome) iCloud save syncs, but some kind of score leaderboard to play against friends would be nice

3) Can anyone please recommend a decent clock and weather widget? Something that's REALLY simple and when you click on it, shows you the weeks weather? The closest I've found is Digital Clock plus Weather Eye but it only shows the next 3 days.

tino

Banned

3) Can anyone please recommend a decent clock and weather widget? Something that's REALLY simple and when you click on it, shows you the weeks weather? The closest I've found is Digital Clock plus Weather Eye but it only shows the next 3 days.

I use the weather channel app because its the only app that let me put multiple widgets of different locations on home page. Its really useful on a trip.

Its neither simple nor good looking however.

I'm finally switching over from my iPhone 4 today (only had my S3 for around a month now...) but have a few questions:

2) Anything similar to GameCenter? I know I won't get the (awesome) iCloud save syncs, but some kind of score leaderboard to play against friends would be nice

Openfeint is close since it is on both Android and iOS. You make a profile and can add friends, gain achievements and more

BiggNife

I've been using the clock/weather widget that comes with HD Widgets and I've been happy with it. It's pretty customizable, and clicking on the widget gives you a 5 day forcast from WeatherBug.

Openfeint is close since it is on both Android and iOS. You make a profile and can add friends, gain achievements and more

I thought I heard GREE shut down OpenFeint after buying them out?

AndyD

aka andydumi

1) Is there anything out there similar to iMessage? Or, for example, a way to integrate normal messaging with WhatsApp, that will automatically detect if the recipient has the client, or needs a regular text message?

As to 3, try beautiful widgets. I have a clock and weather on the screen and clicking the weather icon shows 5 more days of forecast. Or weatherbug, same, a basic widget which clicked shows you 5 more days of weather forecast.

Gaaraz

Ah, many thanks guys ^ I'll check them out :)

I'm also curious - what SMS software do you use? I was a BiteSMS user on iOS, so ChompSMS is tempting...

freshair

Ah, many thanks guys ^ I'll check them out :)

I'm also curious - what SMS software do you use? I was a BiteSMS user on iOS, so ChompSMS is tempting...

Previous bitesms user as well. If you're on ics, then I use the default messaging program with the sms popup add on from the play store.

It allows a quick reply pop up to appear.

If you're on cm10 I use the default one and there's a baked in quick reply.

Accoun

If you're on 4.0+ it's built into the OS, just check Data Usage in settings.
Nope, waiting for the Jelly Bean update in few months. :-/ Don't really want to root the phone, install roms/clean system/whatever ATM...

If not you can use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog but if I read you correctly you want to find out how much you already spent? You'll probably have to check with your carrier.
I didn't mean "already" now, but "already" in the future (if you know what I mean :p). App seems perfect, thanks...

Cipherr

Do you know if Google is working on their Nav system so it won't require a data connection to start a route in the future? If these other apps can do it then Google should be able to incorporate it easily no?

I'm sure they are, the offline caching thing they added and brought out of labs is the first step in that direction. As far as Im concerned thats the only opening left that they havent yet sealed. Their POI and traffic and public transportation and biking data all collectively just craps on the competition. Once they roll out offline navigation, there won't be a single area that I would consider a weakness for their maps. At that point they just have to continue expanding the coverage and continue updating street and satellite viewing data more frequently.

Angst

Nope, waiting for the Jelly Bean update in few months. :-/ Don't really want to root the phone, install roms/clean system/whatever ATM...

I didn't mean "already" now, but "already" in the future (if you know what I mean :p). App seems perfect, thanks...
Try the onavo app recommended above, it has loads more functionality and looks pretty good too.

Gaaraz

Onavo looks awesome, thanks for the heads up on that guys - if I'm ever struggling with my bandwidth cap (gone from unlimited to 1.5GB, argh!) then I'm definitely going to grab that.

Thanks for the heads up on the default messaging program with sms popup - how is it better than the alternatives though? (notably Chomp, Go and Pansi)

Gaaraz

I spent the past couple of weeks in Florida and had NavFree on my *cough* iPhone 4 (it's okay, I've switched my number over to my S3 today!) - I had absolutely no data and pre-loaded everything onto my phone and it was perfect. Only place place it failed to get (Universal Studios) which TomTo picked up the slack for.

I love that you can Google search places when you do have data and store them too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How about an app that shows the amount of time spent in each individual app? Its called App Analytics on iOS, can't find one here though.

Do you know if Google is working on their Nav system so it won't require a data connection to start a route in the future? If these other apps can do it then Google should be able to incorporate it easily no?

no, i can't really say that it would or wouldn't be easy to add, especially depending on how Google designed their system. it could be anywhere between super easy and very near impossible.

vdlow

So... SwiftKey will meet Swype. The following link has a video and the registration for SwiftKey Flow beta.

http://swiftkey.net/flow/

The Verge says that the devs are not sure if it's gonna be a new app or an upgrade.

I bet they'll do this a new app and charge us again.

buhdeh

I don't mind paying again since I always wanted swype functionality. I hope there is a cheap ugprade price like 99c or something. If it's $4, forget it. I don't need swiping that badly.

upandaway

So... SwiftKey will meet Swype. The following link has a video and the registration for SwiftKey Flow beta.

The Verge says that the devs are not sure if it's gonna be a new app or an upgrade.

That's the first time I've seen swype typing done "right". Man that looks cool.

Also absolutely impossible for me to exhibit.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

The real time prediction is the only thing that seems new over current Swype. I signed up for the beta and will give it a shot, but Swype is already pretty damn good.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys i just got my first smartphone. I'm used to my iPod Touch, but my new phone has physical keys.

Are there perhaps any apps that will give me autocorrect even with a physical keyboard? I'm used to typing like an idiot and letting iOS sort it out.

I'm working waaay too hard having to pay attention to grammar and punctuation.

Hey guys i just got my first smartphone. I'm used to my iPod Touch, but my new phone has physical keys.

Are there perhaps any apps that will give me autocorrect even with a physical keyboard? I'm used to typing like an idiot and letting iOS sort it out.

I'm working waaay too hard having to pay attention to grammar and punctuation.

SwiftKey

You can try it out with the free version first to see if you like it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
SwiftKey

You can try it out with the free version first to see if you like it.

Hey, thanks. I now I have a auto correct bar and it's fixing my text as I write it! I will definitely buy this when my trial is up!

Truthfully I didn't know if this sort of thing would be possible with a physical keyboard and now it's guessing what I want to type before I'm done holy Shit.

Awesome!

Fatalah

Just rooted to install Jellybean and I miss the big calendar widget of the Sense UI. Is there an app that gives you a full sized calendar?

does swiftkey have a macro option or a way to program some keys to put specific text? I used it forever but it is a real pain in the ass when I try to enter any of my e-mails that have periods in them

Not that I'm aware of. Sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm glad I don't have any e-mail addresses with periods in them.

Top Bottom