• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

SKINNER!

Banned
I like Perfect Viewer a lot. Only tried that and A Comic Viewer, but Perfect Viewer does everything I need it to.

Same. There's probably a better comic book reader out there but - as a casual comic book reader - Perfect Viewer is straight forward, simple and perfect for me.

Doopliss

I feel like I'm missing something here, but really not a fan of ICS Browser+ or Quick Browser... firstly they both seem almost identical to each other, but more importantly they're both completely devoid of any sort of help system to guide you through the features... even finding the address bar (in both apps!) is an absolute faff.

Nightmare.
From the description of 'Quick ICS Browser':
***Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) Limitation***
cannot show url bar

On the real stock browser built into Jelly Bean the URL bar appears as soon as you start scrolling up the page.

Cr0wn0

Way back on the first page Perfect Viewer was mentioned as a comic reading app. Is that still the app of choice, or has something superseded it?

ComicRack is pretty decent as well but if you don't plan on using the desktop app also perfect viewer is probably the best way to go.

Is there a beautiful, or at least Android design guide valid, London Underground app?

The one I use on iOS is embark and it's BEAUTIFUL, but the ones I see on Android are a little ugly

Any help?

Gaaraz

use an ugly one.
Hm, I wonder if it's this sort of attitude that means the Android app store won't be catching iOS any time soon.

Ugly apps with sometimes poor user interfaces seem to be common place on Android, not to mention a general lack of selection compared to Apple's offering. It's a real shame, and IMO unless people start expecting the best, I can't see things changing.

(edit) I sound like a spoilt brat there, I don't mean to - just saying that there is a huge gulf in quality between iOS apps and Android which is a shame

Regarding Quick ICS Browser - thanks for the heads up on that, it's a shame but I think until I can upgrade my S3 to JellyBean, I'll stick with Chrome :)

kmfdmpig

Same. There's probably a better comic book reader out there but - as a casual comic book reader - Perfect Viewer is straight forward, simple and perfect for me.

Out of all the apps I use Perfect Viewer is my favorite. It just does exactly what I need, and I'm not sure what changes I'd even want. Getting used to the invisible navigation zones can be a bit confusing at first, but once you have that down it's just unobtrusive and effective.

popeutlal

OI!! Damn Swype beta is trying to locate me, I always get paranoid with things like this.

vLe7i.jpeg

OI!! Damn Swype beta is trying to locate me, I always get paranoid with things like this.

vLe7i.jpeg

It's a new Swype feature - localised trending dictionaries....

It knows what words are currently being typed in your part of the world and therefore either adds them to the dictionary or makes them more prominent. In theory.

vdlow

Am I the only one with problems to buy from Play Store website?

I'm trying to buy Batter Widget? Reborn Pro, which is on sale for only 0.99 USD, but after I choose my device, when the screen with the payment choices should appear, it shows an error, saying that there was a technical problem.

Hm, I wonder if it's this sort of attitude that means the Android app store won't be catching iOS any time soon.

Ugly apps with sometimes poor user interfaces seem to be common place on Android, not to mention a general lack of selection compared to Apple's offering. It's a real shame, and IMO unless people start expecting the best, I can't see things changing.

(edit) I sound like a spoilt brat there, I don't mean to - just saying that there is a huge gulf in quality between iOS apps and Android which is a shame

Regarding Quick ICS Browser - thanks for the heads up on that, it's a shame but I think until I can upgrade my S3 to JellyBean, I'll stick with Chrome :)

the iOS app selection is severely lacking, though a lot of that is because the OS itself hinders the breadth and depth of kinds of apps that can work...

how do you catch something you're already ahead of? slow down and wait for them to catch up? no.

Google maps don't have transit directions in London?

not pretty enough.

tino

Banned
Out of all the apps I use Perfect Viewer is my favorite. It just does exactly what I need, and I'm not sure what changes I'd even want. Getting used to the invisible navigation zones can be a bit confusing at first, but once you have that down it's just unobtrusive and effective.

I would like a little virtual cue to tell me when the app is doing page down/up. And I would like to have both the title and the page# shown at the lower corners of the screen. Otherwise I think its perfect.

I like that app so much I paid for the donated version. I wish windows has an application so polish.

Nitsuj23

Just purchased a Nexus 7. It's mainly for fun as I have a lot invested into the Apple ecosystem with my iPhone, Macbook, and iPad, but I really am enjoying Android so far. Feels fresh since this Is the longest exposure I've had to it.

Does anyone know of any apps similar to stream to me or air video on iOS? I really want to steam media from my laptop while I'm in bed. Thanks.

Edit: And am I bad at finding the tablet version of apps, or are there really just very few? HBO Go and Watch ESPN are two that I was recently searching for.

Ixian

Just purchased a Nexus 7. It's mainly for fun as I have a lot invested into the Apple ecosystem with my iPhone, Macbook, and iPad, but I really am enjoying Android so far. Feels fresh since this Is the longest exposure I've had to it.

Does anyone know of any apps similar to stream to me or air video on iOS? I really want to steam media from my laptop while I'm in bed. Thanks.
I haven't done it myself (still use my iPad for streaming stuff), but it looks like you can use MediaHouse as a DLNA browser on the Nexus 7 and then something like Serviio for transcoding.

mannerbot

I would like a little virtual cue to tell me when the app is doing page down/up. And I would like to have both the title and the page# shown at the lower corners of the screen. Otherwise I think its perfect.

I like that app so much I paid for the donated version. I wish windows has an application so polish.

Did you want those specifically in the corners and nowhere else? I've got title on top center and page numbers bottom center showing up for 2 seconds after page turn, if you didn't know you could turn that on in the settings.

It does and it works quite well.

If you tap on an underground station you can see the adjoining train lines appear on Google maps.

I haven't got an Android close to me right now..

So you're saying I can tap on Angel station, then say I want to go to South Wimbledon- and it'll tell me where to change/get off/how long it will take, etc?

So I'm on the verge of jumping ship to Android, but there are two things that I can't seem to find good Android alternatives to from iOS, so perhaps I can get some help here:

- Podcast app. I currently use Instacast because it syncs how far I've listened to something between my iPad and iPhone, and I can't seem to find anything resembling a decent podcast app for Android.

I've looked at Stitcher, but it seems terrible for strictly listening to podcasts. Any advice?

- RSS reader. Is there anything similiar in design to Reeder from iOS?

So I'm on the verge of jumping ship to Android, but there are two things that I can't seem to find good Android alternatives to from iOS, so perhaps I can get some help here:

- Podcast app. I currently use Instacast because it syncs how far I've listened to something between my iPad and iPhone, and I can't seem to find anything resembling a decent podcast app for Android.

I've looked at Stitcher, but it seems terrible for strictly listening to podcasts. Any advice?

Same here, a few deal breaker apps I'll miss like Tweetbot, TubeDeluxe/Embark for London..

But then again I do have an iPad

*edit, just tried it with Google Maps and it's a pain unless you can find the station on the map. I searched for Angel station and it pointed me to some US state. I'll take a look at apps, but at the min there's nothing that matches Embark or Tube Delux at the moment- a little disappointed

Zeppu

I use Doggcatcher. It's nothing spectacular to look at but it works great and I've set it up to start playing as soon as I plug in the headphone jack, so that's pretty nifty.

I use the official Google Reader app. Not what you're looking for?

edit, just tried it with Google Maps and it's a pain unless you can find the station on the map. I searched for Angel station and it pointed me to some US state. I'll take a look at apps, but at the min there's nothing that matches Embark or Tube Delux at the moment- a little disappointed

Is your default location set to UK? Very strange cause I just looked up 'London' and it centered me there then I looked up 'Angel station' and it took me right to the station.

Angst

I'll try again

Just find the address of where you're supposed to be going (not necessarily a tube station), tap directions, pick the bus (for transit directions) and then go. It'll show you how to get to nearest and best point of transit and how to travel from there to your destination.

Like this:

Angst said:

I find this much easier than going your route as I don't always know the name of the departing station and end stations.

Just find the address of where you're supposed to be going (not necessarily a tube station), tap directions, pick the bus (for transit directions) and then go. It'll show you how to get to nearest and best point of transit and how to travel from there to your destination.

Like this:

I find this much easier than going your route as I don't always know the name of the departing station and end stations.

Problem is most times I don't know where I'm meant to be going by road name, only station. It sounds weird but yeah

Also I forgot this is useless offline! I'll find an app today

panda21

what was that android app that let you find stuff on your phone by typing it? like you could type volume and it would show you all the volume sliders?

Raonak

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something here, but really not a fan of ICS Browser+ or Quick Browser... firstly they both seem almost identical to each other, but more importantly they're both completely devoid of any sort of help system to guide you through the features... even finding the address bar (in both apps!) is an absolute faff.

Nightmare.

Might wanna give firefox mobile ver a try. It has a pretty minimalistic UI, so you don't really need a help system. Press the tab number thing to bring up your tabs. Back/forward/stop work like normal. then heres the menu button which opens up menus for bookmarks, settings, etc.

ScOULaris

Might wanna give firefox mobile ver a try. It has a pretty minimalistic UI, so you don't really need a help system. Press the tab number thing to bring up your tabs. Back/forward/stop work like normal. then heres the menu button which opens up menus for bookmarks, settings, etc.

Ugh, man. I don't know if I'd recommend Firefox mobile to anyone. Shit's rough.

vdlow

This new Chrome update has stability improvements and add support to Nexus 4 and 10.

I love Chrome, but it's time to update it with new features. I want extensions as Dolphin has.

Hieberrr

Flash is understandable. Extensions, after so much time, is not.

Nah man, a lot of websites still use Flash. Streaming for one is a huge one for me and so are newspaper websites with videos. Watching sports on this tablet is a pain in the ass, because every single website uses Flash and is filled with popups. It's pretty much unwatchable.

Are there any podcast apps that also sync to the PC? Right now I'm using iTunes on my PC and Google Listen on the phone, but it's been kind of a pain to maintain two separate podcast collections. Apps like Pocket/Dropbox/Evernote have spoiled me with their cross-platform compatibility. And I guess Google Listen is officially dead anyway, so I need to move on...

I have no attachment to iTunes, and I really only use it for podcasts, so I'd be glad to dump it for something better.

BiggNife

The latest Chrome update fixed that horrible swiftkey/swype text jumping bug that some people (like me) were having, just fyi. Posting on GAF with Chrome is no longer painful for me.

And I dunno, no flash in Chrome doesn't really bother me. I'd only use Flash for Youtube and Twitch, and both sites have apps that get the job done.

Top Bottom