• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

tino

Banned
Are there any podcast apps that also sync to the PC? Right now I'm using iTunes on my PC and Google Listen on the phone, but it's been kind of a pain to maintain two separate podcast collections. Apps like Pocket/Dropbox/Evernote have spoiled me with their cross-platform compatibility. And I guess Google Listen is officially dead anyway, so I need to move on...

I have no attachment to iTunes, and I really only use it for podcasts, so I'd be glad to dump it for something better.

I use google reader on PC (the web page), and BeyondPod on Android. BeyondPod can sync the read/unread status with google reader.

Is there a special reason to why SmartGlass doesn't work on Android 2.3? I'm running a SuperRAM build of Gingerbread that is blazing fast and I wouldn't want to replace it with any other rom. Are there workarounds?

I use google reader on PC (the web page), and BeyondPod on Android. BeyondPod can sync the read/unread status with google reader.

Cool thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I've heard good things about BeyondPod, didn't realize it synced with Google Reader though.

Do you know if they sync your pause position within a podcast, or just the read/unread status?

BiggNife

So, if I'm looking at the settings correctly, there's no way to have LinkedIn notifications on but the notification sound off? I do this for email/twitter/facebook/etc, but in the LI app all I see is a check box to turn notifications on/off but nothing specifically about notification sounds. That's kinda annoying.

tino

Banned
Cool thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I've heard good things about BeyondPod, didn't realize it synced with Google Reader though.

Do you know if they sync your pause position within a podcast, or just the read/unread status?

Dude, its podcast. Its not audiobook. Its a nice feature to have but you don't really need that.

Just think of the advantage of google reader. Its basically a cloud podcast player you can use on any computer. iTunes takes 20 seconds just to start on my PC.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The latest Chrome update fixed that horrible swiftkey/swype text jumping bug that some people (like me) were having, just fyi. Posting on GAF with Chrome is no longer painful for me.

And I dunno, no flash in Chrome doesn't really bother me. I'd only use Flash for Youtube and Twitch, and both sites have apps that get the job done.
Finally I can post again on GAF from my mobile.

Dude, its podcast. Its not audiobook. Its a nice feature to have but you don't really need that.

Just think of the advantage of google reader. Its basically a cloud podcast player you can use on any computer. iTunes takes 20 seconds just to start on my PC.

I listen to too many 2-3 hour podcasts, lol. So I usually listen to them in chunks.

BeyondPod seems cool so far. Looks like it's super customizable, but pretty easy to use once you get everything set up. And the tablet version is a cool surprise.

Swag

I hadn't used Feedly in a long while, but man, it's really slick now. Good stuff.
Interface is really good on it compared to Flipboard, only issue I have is that sometimes it won't respond when I tap on a link, will lock up, then add the article to my Pocket instead of just opening it. Been happening quite a lot recently, quite annoying.

tino

Banned
Guys, any wallpaper app that can download (specific) images and change it for me automatically?

I have FlickLive! Pro, which downloads and set flickr images by keyword. Unfortunately I can not skip vertical photos and I get too many of them.

I tried this Wall base app, which is really good and hot. But it doesn't change wallpaper for me automatically.

I have a question about google maps (on HTC one X)

How can I remove the road lines when I'm on satellite mode? they popup when I zoom in, and sometimes I don't them there but can't figure out how to remove them

Is there any way to do that?

Same here, a few deal breaker apps I'll miss like Tweetbot, TubeDeluxe/Embark for London..

But then again I do have an iPad

*edit, just tried it with Google Maps and it's a pain unless you can find the station on the map. I searched for Angel station and it pointed me to some US state. I'll take a look at apps, but at the min there's nothing that matches Embark or Tube Delux at the moment- a little disappointed

Another great thing about Embark is that the tube directions work offline as well. Saved me from being late to a date the other day :p

Nitsuj23

I'm sure it has been posted, but is there a definitive best Podcast app? I've been using Apple gear since the 12" PowerBook G4. I still love my iPhone 5, but I'm really really enjoying Jelly Bean. The lack of tablet apps I can temporarily deal with, but there are a few simple apps I need to have. Do any podcast apps function like the default Apple one? Would love to hear recommendations.

Also, is thy SwiftKey app worth spending the money or should I just wait for OS wide Swype support in 4.2?

Thanks for the help everyone, loving my N7 so far!

Edit: A problem I feel Google Play has is the lack of uniformity in their apps. I wish Google had a section with only Jelly Bean apps!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, is thy SwiftKey app worth spending the money or should I just wait for OS wide Swype support in 4.2?

This question is a bit weird, because SwiftKey doesn't have any Swype-like functionality, it's just a good keyboard with an amazing prediction engine. To answer your question: Yes, I think you should buy SwiftKey, because it's a great keyboard, but you won't be able to "swype" on it if that's what you're after.

(SwiftKey Flow, which does have that feature, has been announced but not released yet. And it will most likely be a separate keyboard from SwiftKey 3, possibly with a cheap upgrade available for people who already own the latter.)

The definitive best podcast app is BeyondPod.

Agreed. It's really great.

Nitsuj23

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm aware of the SwiftKey and Swype differences, just wondering what people prefer. I didn't know about the new version of SwiftKey, though, sounds cool.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm aware of the SwiftKey and Swype differences, just wondering what people prefer. I didn't know about the new version of SwiftKey, though, sounds cool.

<3 SwiftKey

try the free trial. it's so magical when you're typing and it completes entire sentences for you!

Just started using Naked Browser after seeing it on xda. Very light-weight, minimal UI, ad-free, fast, tabed browser. like it a lot coming from Tint Browser

(Fullscreen browsing all the time except when you are at the very top of the page or tap menu. noticed all the screens had UI in them)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fevdev.nakedbrowser&hl=en

First screen is the home screen which you don't have to use, but i like it.
2012-11-0618.25.01fpeig.png
2012-11-0618.25.31qxdq5.png
2012-11-0618.26.23hkcet.png

Feedly is amazing.

I used it briefly when it first came out. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. What a difference a few revisions make. It may be my favorite Google Reader out there.

Cipherr

Feedly is ok, I hate that fucking splash screen they start you at though. With the <--- click here for your stuff!

Why not just drop me right there when I tap on the widget in the first place? Meh.

not pretty enough!

It's actually true, but from a functional point. Our tube system (I'm sure like yours) go by colour and I tend to need visual clues a lot more than lists..so here is Embark and Tube Deluxe compared the the Android alternatives

Embark iOS
embark-app-london-.jpg

Tube Deluxe iOS
Tube%20Deluxe%20App.PNG

London Underground (I can't get the proper image of the list of itinery, but you get the idea)
Pz1l-Mu9LcnyhkmEBwvVDejIaW0XCKxmC1S7FkUHBt390dB8NSd_N7BvNDulfrAIrSo

Now if you think I'm being pedantic, a worker for Google who lives in London, gives YouTube video demos on how apps should look better, and London Underground is the main feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8k_PDUL3s&feature=relmfu

So I appreciate the assists from others in the thread, but your constant sarcastic comments are a little wasted on me Mr Faceless

I did find this though

tKzy13qjYJQ8NkdkaewR1ZXGgluNakn4Dyl7CYEJUG_3x1XKesHz_BKpS6mSCQAT5fM

Much better design, uses hollow dark and follows the new Android app design guidelines..I'm confident this will do

Ocho

Feedly is amazing.

I used it briefly when it first came out. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. What a difference a few revisions make. It may be my favorite Google Reader out there.

It's pretty cool looking, but as long as it gets stuck between my feeds when swyping, I'll be forever waiting for an update and using gReader instead.

How many times have you gone through this: download a new ROM, backup all your apps with Titanium, reboot into recovery, perform a nandroid backup, wipe, install new ROM, boot and set up, then restore all your apps and data. Yeah, it's crazy. And it takes forever.

What if you could cut that time by a solid 20 or 30 minutes? Thanks to a new feature just incorporated in Titanium Backup, you can. With the newest update to TB Pro, you can now create a flashable zip of all your apps and data. That means that you can flash all your goodies right after a new ROM and fire up a system that's ready to go right out of the box. Awesome.

KM47V.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...ate-flashable-zips-of-all-your-apps-and-data/

What's the advantage? Can't I just run a batch? Is this the "direct" or the "indirect" method of app processing mode?

it makes an update.zip out of your apps+data that you can install from a recovery menu like CWM or TWRP

I wonder how long 'til this is in Rom Toolbox... Might have to grab Titanium Backup if it doesn't get added.

i have no doubt that JRummy saw this and went "ffffuuuuccckkkk... GOTTA PUT IN WORK!"

Top Bottom