• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I think you underestimate people's aesthetic sensibilities, and I also think it's pretty dumb to imply that only iOS users care about this stuff. I'm pretty sure most people care whether an app looks good or like shit, and whether it looks like it belongs on the phone or completely out of place (as all lazy iOS ports and non-updated Android 2.x apps do).

I know I do. For example, I've payed for this timer app, mostly thanks to its great Holo design. Something like this or this, on the other hand, I would never use even though they're free. I'm sure they work just fine, but they look like utter shit, so they're not getting on my phone.

i was going to mention the app i use but it's been removed from the market!

XYGeF.png

Don't worry guys, there'll be plenty of high-profile, hideous iOS/Gingerbread mash-ups available on the Play Store for years to come.
*starts working on HoloBackup*

PEACE OUT TITANIUM!!!

Angst

With:

Dropbox
Google Drive
Amazon
Box
This one

I have so much cloud data..is there a way I can control them all?

Someone should do an app that spreads your data across all cloud platforms. FolderSync?

One good thing about jotta - they give you 5 GB per referral, both for you and for your friend. (up to 100 GB)

Someone should do an app that spreads your data across all cloud platforms. FolderSync?

One good thing about jotta - they give you 5 GB per referral, both for you and for your friend. (up to 100 GB)

There should be something!

you mean 5GB or 50?? I don't have 20 friends who care about cloud data!

Angst

There should be something!

you mean 5GB or 50?? I don't have 20 friends who care about cloud data!

It's 5 GB per friend. And i don't have 20 friends who care about cloud either :/

EDIT: They also have unlimited space available for 49 NOK monthly (~8 USD or something like that).

It's 5 GB per friend. And i don't have 20 friends who care about cloud either :/

EDIT: They also have unlimited space available for 49 NOK monthly (~8 USD or something like that).

Ohhh..ok

Well it all depends how I start using data nowadays- getting more hesitant putting private stuff up in the cloud now

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A timer app that can countdown on the notification bar would have been must more useful. I am not searching Play Market to find out if such an app exist, because I know I can write one with Tasker.

Well, the one I linked to does count down in the notification shade, and if you're on Jelly Bean it provides enhanced notifications that let you pause or end the timer right from the notification. Similarly, when the timer goes off you can restart or dismiss it right there, without having to enter the app.

Or are you talking about the remaining time actually showing in the notification bar, without pulling the notification shade down? Don't think that's possible. An app can only display a short text (which just shows for a second or two) and a static icon there. Ok, so I guess it could keep spamming updated notifications to sort of keep showing the remaining time, but that doesn't sound like a very elegant solution.

Tasker, BTW, is another absolutely hideous app. Sure, Tasker is 100% about functionality, and it doesn't need to look nice, but it sure would be more appealing to use if it did. And given the simple menus it uses, redesigning it with a nice Holo look probably wouldn't be very difficult at all.

did Google do another run-in on app names?

Kitchen Timer for ICS is pulled from the Market
Notes for ICS got renamed to NoNonsense Notes

both of them had "for ICS" in the name

Swag

Are there any apps that will let me backup my messages? Specifically for transferring between ROMs?

Can't restore messaging system data as that will cause errors, and GoSMS requires me to pay to backup my messages, I would but I have no intention of using GoSMS on this other ROM.

Are there any apps that will let me backup my messages? Specifically for transferring between ROMs?

Can't restore messaging system data as that will cause errors, and GoSMS requires me to pay to backup my messages, I would but I have no intention of using GoSMS on this other ROM.

SMS Backup & Restore

Titanium Backup

Angst

Google Music takes songs off of my device and only gives me an option to stream them, but the songs play and show up fine in other music players. What gives?

Get Minimal Reader Pro for free.

Minimal Reader Pro is a full featured Google Reader client, bringing an elegant, fast and intuitive way to read your news.

With an app, 6 customizable widgets and a smart caching system, Minimal Reader Pro is the perfect companion to read all your favourite news on the go, without worrying about your internet connection.

thanks for the heads up on Minimal Reader Pro!

That page was quite misleading though, if you click the Play store link you will be directed to it and the price is .99

below that link, you can download the .apk file for free

Does Minimal Reader actually sync with Google Reader? Seems like it imports your feeds from that source, but they don't necessarily talk to each other after that. I could be wrong though, I didn't spend a whole bunch of time with it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Google Music takes songs off of my device and only gives me an option to stream them, but the songs play and show up fine in other music players. What gives?

What if you select to only show music that is on the phone, does it let you play your local files then? It should, since it won't display anything that has to be streamed when in that mode.

But why do you have your music both in the cloud and saved as local files on the phone? Seems redundant. You know you can "pin" cloud music to the device, right? Doing that makes the app download the music and permanently store it on the phone (until you "unpin" it).

Or do you keep separate local music files on the phone to be able to use them in other apps? Yeah, it's a shame that Play Music saves downloaded music in a "secret" location that can't be accessed by other apps.

Yep. Google Music is set to always stream first. I hate that about it.

Again, shouldn't selecting to only show offline music make sure that you see your local files if you have the same songs both in the cloud and as a separate local files? Seems to me like it should.

What if you select to only show music that is on the phone, does it let you play your local files then? It should, since it won't display anything that has to be streamed when in that mode.

The song just wouldn't show up in the list, however I just received a Google Play update that fixes this problem with a "All Music" and "On device Only" options in the top left hand corner.

But why do you have your music both in the cloud and saved as local files on the phone? Seems redundant. You know you can "pin" cloud music to the device, right? Doing that makes the app download the music and permanently store it on the phone (until you "unpin" it).

3G! Streaming is not an option for me, it's mostly there for backup. I am aware of the pinning, but I had the song on my device already and could not access it with Google Music without reverting to streaming.

Again, shouldn't selecting to only show offline music make sure that you see your local files if you have the same songs both in the cloud and as a separate local files? Seems to me like it should.

This was not the case before if you had a song on the cloud already and the same song on the device. However I just got an update for the app that fixes this problem so YAY.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any alternative to Overskreen? It still doesn't work on Android 4.1 and 4.2 is already upon us...

Don't suggest "get a galaxy note"...

What's the current thinking on browsers? I used Dolphin for a while but I have massive problems posting on GAF for some reason. The keyboard keeps closing on me half way through writing my posts. It's very frustrating.

tino

Banned
What's the current thinking on browsers? I used Dolphin for a while but I have massive problems posting on GAF for some reason. The keyboard keeps closing on me half way through writing my posts. It's very frustrating.

My experience with brower is that every phone every major rom upgrade have different best borwsers.

I went from Dolphine Mini -> MIUI Browser -> ICS+

G17

For browsers I still use the stock browser with quick controls but Firefox's speed and add-on capability is great!

All Firefox needs is quick controls and full screen and I would have switched. I feel more comfortable using a browser by a non profit organization in terms of data collection so I use Firefox on PC but the stock browser is just too good to give up on mobile.

JKTrix

How do you guys use the Stock browser when it has no PC - Phone sync?

I don't use the stock browser, but there are independent applications like Pocket that allow you to share webpages and stuff. I personally don't really want everything on my PC browser to come up on my phone, so I use Pocket to pick things I might want to read later on either platform.

I'm a Firefox Android user too. I use Waterfox on PC and it does still have all the syncing features, but I disabled it.

I liked using Opera mini for the longest time because it's pretty damn fast going in and out through GAF topics but every now and then their compression server stalls and simply won't load. I've been using ics+ and it's slowly starting to become my favorite. Really miss the Speed dial page though, its not quite the same in ics+.

tino

Banned
I liked using Opera mini for the longest time because it's pretty damn fast going in and out through GAF topics but every now and then their compression server stalls and simply won't load. I've been using ics+ and it's slowly starting to become my favorite. Really miss the Speed dial page though, its not quite the same in ics+.

I used to use Opera mini alot. I hate it that the "jump to top", "jump to bottom" links on m.neogaf.com don't work.

But yeah I miss speed dial too. Fortunately my most visited links are very similar to my speed dial page.

Top Bottom