• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

3rdman

kehs

Banned
Alright guys, let's have some real talk about dash clock.

I don't understand the purpose of it. I'm I missing something?

Grantes, I haven't tried it out yet,. Whats the point of having notifications widget on the locks screen, if you have a notification bar always showing? I see everyone falling in love with it. Is it just because it's an independent app from one of the Googlers?

I don't get it. Someone sell me on it.

Zeppu

Alright guys, let's have some real talk about dash clock.

I don't understand the purpose of it. I'm I missing something?

Grantes, I haven't tried it out yet,. Whats the point of having notifications widget on the locks screen, if you have a notification bar always showing? I see everyone falling in love with it. Is it just because it's an independent app from one of the Googlers?

I don't get it. Someone sell me on it.

It's not for notifications. It's an aggregation of many different widgets from different apps on a single lockscreen widget. It's useful because the silly implementation of lockscreen widgets from goog wouldn't allow me to have a clock and battery level on a single screen.

How would I go about doing the following:

Sync my google calendar everyday at 8am? I tried automateit, but there isn't any such option and I'm afraid to even consider tasker since the price is out of my range.

kehs

Banned
It's not for notifications. It's an aggregation of many different widgets from different apps on a single lockscreen widget. It's useful because the silly implementation of lockscreen widgets from goog wouldn't allow me to have a clock and battery level on a single screen.

Is it like interactive with toggles and such? Maybe it's because I use a pattern lock, but any interaction(aside from music) I need to unlock to use anyways.

You have a battery thing up top zep, it's always showing.

vdlow

Exactly. DashClock is like lockscreen widgets done right. And from a developer's view, it's so easy to make an extension, the code is so simple, that I can't see any reason to don't make it.

bigkrev

Not sure if it's even possible on a non-rooted phone, but are there any apps that change the Text Messaging interface? The one on my phone is super ugly.

Is it like interactive with toggles and such? Maybe it's because I use a pattern lock, but any interaction(aside from music) I need to unlock to use anyways.

Well for me it's especially handy because I have a pattern lock. You can't use notifications when locked with a pattern, but the dashclock can show you how many missed messages/calls you have, and if you click on it, then pattern unlock directly takes you to the missed call/msg/battery whatever.

There are also calendar appointments, battery % and current weather + you can add any app you want as shortcut.

Basically lots of info without the need of even unlocking the phone or swiping down the notifications window.

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but I'll go for it. So the screen on my Exhibit II isn't displaying anything. Touch still works and the phone comes on, but I can't see anything. Is there ANY was I can fix this myself or possibly view my phone display from my PC?

Zeppu

I gave battery as an example.

You can add and remove modules and there are plenty of modules (extensions) which show snippets of information or shortcuts like next appointments, what's airing next on TV and what's playing now on XBMC.

80VwKq9.png
GN7IT28.png

It really is just a better lockscreen (or regular) widget with the added bonus that you can add multiple sources, showing only relevant data but not taking the extra space when not needed. It's pretty nifty. Give it a shot.

Actually a lot of extensions are just like notification data but available at a glance.

vdlow

So, guys, I think I can do it, if I can't you just tell me and I erase the content of this post, but... I think my app is available in Google Play! It's my first app, I learned to program for Android doing this app, and now it's available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vdlow.socialnotification

I will just copy the description here, it's the better explanation I can give.

Social Notification is the fastest way to share your thoughts on Twitter or with other apps. Social Notification creates an always-on notification that, when touched, will let you type your text and share directly to Twitter or even with other apps, like GMail or your Facebook app. With Social Notification, you don't have to close the app you're currently using to share your thoughts with the world. You share, and then you're right back to the app you were using before!

Features:
-Always-on notification to quickly share your thoughts from anywhere
-Post directly to Twitter, without the need to open your Twitter client
-Share with any app you have that can handle text
-Shorten links with bit.ly (you can even short the link without sharing it!)
-Runs on Twitter API 1.1

Shit, I'm happy!

tino

Banned
So, guys, I think I can do it, if I can't you just tell me and I erase the content of this post, but... I think my app is available in Google Play! It's my first app, I learned to program for Android doing this app, and now it's available.

Shit, I'm happy!

I donno what it is, but I installed it anyway. COngrats.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

I have a few brief suggestions. If it's inappropriate for me to post them here, let me know and I'll remove them:

When I go to share something, the sharing card is titled "Enviar" rather than matching my own system language. Similarly, "Set Twitter always selected?" and "Set Share always selected?" would read better as "Set Twitter/Share to default". Regarding the pro features, I think having the ability to resend a tweet if it fails initially should be standard, rather than a special feature. Capitalizing the "share" and "twitter" buttons would also just look better, and I'd change "twitter" to "Tweet", as that's the service's verb choice.

Hope the app does well for you.

vdlow

I have a few brief suggestions. If it's inappropriate for me to post them here, let me know and I'll remove them:

When I go to share something, the sharing card is titled "Enviar" rather than matching my own system language. Similarly, "Set Twitter always selected?" and "Set Share always selected?" would read better as "Set Twitter/Share to default". Regarding the pro features, I think having the ability to resend a tweet if it fails initially should be standard, rather than a special feature. Capitalizing the "share" and "twitter" buttons would also just look better, and I'd change "twitter" to "Tweet", as that's the service's verb choice.

Hope the app does well for you.

Thanks for the tips man. What's your system language? It's strange, I'm pretty sure the language parts were ok. I'm not at home right now, but once I have time I'll read your post carefully and take things in consideration.

Thanks again!

^^^
Congratulations!

I donno what it is, but I installed it anyway. COngrats.

Thanks a lot!

I gave battery as an example.

You can add and remove modules and there are plenty of modules (extensions) which show snippets of information or shortcuts like next appointments, what's airing next on TV and what's playing now on XBMC.

It really is just a better lockscreen (or regular) widget with the added bonus that you can add multiple sources, showing only relevant data but not taking the extra space when not needed. It's pretty nifty. Give it a shot.

Actually a lot of extensions are just like notification data but available at a glance.

So, stupid question: On my N4 when I want the expanded view as on your picture, the lock screen icon "slides out of the screen" and has to slide up and then I can start uplocking the phone.

Is that how it is intended design wise, or am I doing something incredibly wrong and stupid?

Shit, I'm happy!

that's pretty cool. it's not something i'd use, but pretty cool.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Doses anybody know a good HIIT timer? Preferably one that gets along with Google Music.

Endomondo has a HIIT option, I don't use it but you can try it for free. You can you use it with google play and it will lower the volume of whatever you are listening to tell you your time and it will raise the volume afterwards.

Zoe

Endomondo has a HIIT option, I don't use it but you can try it for free. You can you use it with google play and it will lower the volume of whatever you are listening to tell you your time and it will raise the volume afterwards.

I think I saw that, but it's behind a paywall, right?

bob page

How do you guys sync your music? I just migrated from iOS and I'm trying out Google Music currently but I'd like to store the music on my SD card instead. Don't really want to manually manage using explorer...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How do you guys sync your music? I just migrated from iOS and I'm trying out Google Music currently but I'd like to store the music on my SD card instead. Don't really want to manually manage using explorer...

You could always use a program like Double Twist or else download AirDroid and sync the music over wirelessly through your browser.

I however just use drag and drop when I plug my phone in or sync stuff to GMusic.

PaulLFC

I wish DashClock had an option to run in this mode automatically without having to expand it, I'd find it even more useful then. I've heard certain custom ROMs allow you to run expanded widgets, but I'm running stock Android - Amazon MP3 has a full screen lockscreen widget, so it seems it's possible if implemented by the widget.

kaskade

I wish DashClock had an option to run in this mode automatically without having to expand it, I'd find it even more useful then. I've heard certain custom ROMs allow you to run expanded widgets, but I'm running stock Android - Amazon MP3 has a full screen lockscreen widget, so it seems it's possible if implemented by the widget.

I'm not sure if stock has it but on CM10.1 there an option under setting>lock screen>maximize widgets.

MNC

Am I allowed to post my own app? It's my first android app. It's called GoingDutch and allows you to split costs in a more advanced way; instead of splitting the whole amount per person (total amount / amount of persons), each person pays the exact amount he/she should pay (like cheapskates, aka going dutch ;p) I'm just looking for feedback design and what this app would need to become good.

vdlow

Am I allowed to post my own app? It's my first android app. It's called GoingDutch and allows you to split costs in a more advanced way; instead of splitting it per person, each person pays the exact amount he/she should pay (like cheapskates, aka going dutch ;p) I'm just looking for feedback design and what this app would need to become good.

The design is great. I will try it better when I go out with my friends, but this surely looks good.

Zeppu

Am I allowed to post my own app? It's my first android app. It's called GoingDutch and allows you to split costs in a more advanced way; instead of splitting it per person, each person pays the exact amount he/she should pay (like cheapskates, aka going dutch ;p) I'm just looking for feedback design and what this app would need to become good.

That is fantastic. I'll give it a go next time we go out and order way too much alcohol and leave you feedback :D

Top Bottom