• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Phoenix

1. What are you talking about exactly?

2. I use Cerberus, and I actually have used it before to find my phone. I lost it in my work building. I used the gps and was able to narrow it down to the northwest corner of my building, but we didn't know which floor. We took a picture, and we saw a picture looking up at a plant, so it looked like it was at someone's desk. We sent messages to it, but no luck. Finally, I just made the alarm go off remotely, and we tried to hear its siren. We eventually found it with some panicked ladies who couldn't figure out how to turn off the alarm.

Another way to do it is to just have it capture audio. I've used that to hear the conversation and know who must be near the phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ok, the new PockCasts is kinda amazing. Even better than Instacast and Downcast on iOS. The only Instacast has over it is push notifications and tbh the notifications were a bit overwhelming.

BIGWORM

What is the general consensus on GrooVe IP? I got the lite version, and seems there is a lot of configuring to do. In short, I was a TW-based ROM on my Tmo GS3, which supports WiFi-calling, and I was doing that a lot, but recently moved to CM10.1, and I would like to use that WiFi-calling ability again.

PaulLFC

The only features I can think of that Pocket Casts needs now are bringing back the "keep the X most recent episodes of this podcast" setting, and specifying podcast and episode titles in the downloading podcast notification.

KarmaCow

Is automatic downloading broken in PocketCasts broken? I have the Unplayed playlist set to auto-download but it still seems like I have to manually tell it to download. The weird thing is checking/rechecking the auto-download box gets the app to start downloading any unplayed podcasts in the list.

kaskade

Is automatic downloading broken in PocketCasts broken? I have the Unplayed playlist set to auto-download but it still seems like I have to manually tell it to download. The weird thing is checking/rechecking the auto-download box gets the app to start downloading any unplayed podcasts in the list.

Are you on the latest version? I think in the newest they fixed that issue.

The fact that they messed up android's inherent swype typing with the latest update is incredibly annoying. They need to fix it ASAP. Having to type in the space every time makes things much slower.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
That's the iOS version. Unfortunately very few Android apps use push notifications.
The android version also does it. I asked the devs directly.

I29QD3Al.png

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
If you didn't hear, the Falcon Pro dev temporarily addressed the token issue by resetting them and requiring everyone to log back in. Hopefully Twitter changes their policies anyway.

Also, has anybody made the switch from BeyondPod to PocketCasts? I've using the former for ages and love it, but the latter looks so nice.

If you didn't hear, the Falcon Pro dev temporarily addressed the token issue by resetting them and requiring everyone to log back in. Hopefully Twitter changes their policies anyway.

Also, has anybody made the switch from BeyondPod to PocketCasts? I've using the former for ages and love it, but the latter looks so nice.

I made the switch because PocketCasts lets you sync your podcasts between devices. So now I can listen to a podcast on my phone when i'm not home, then switch to my tablet when I get home and pick up where I left off in any episode or playlist. Works well so far

buhdeh

That looks fucking awful.

Yeah the current interface is fine. Turning it holo light makes it look like shit. Perfect example of why not every app needs to go holo.

I did. Beyond pod has more functionality but I didn't need half of it. Plus the app looked and ran like shit. I'm pretty happy with pocket casts.

netBuff

Yeah the current interface is fine. Turning it holo light makes it look like shit. Perfect example of why not every app needs to go holo.

It's much prettier than the current interface, and in general I think Holo Light looks very pleasant. Every app should go holo, I like consistency.

KarmaCow

Are you on the latest version? I think in the newest they fixed that issue.

I think there was an update today. 4.0.5 is the latest version.

Alright, I updated to 4.05 and nope, I still need to manually tell it to download all unplayed podcasts or uncheck/check the auto-download box before it downloads anything. I guess it's good that it's overly cautious rather than wasting bandwidth for some people but it's still bizarre.

I blind bought PocketCasts before the update ended up moving to the free version of BeyondPod. I decided to try out PocketCasts with the new update but honestly I don't see any benefits over the paid version of BeyondPod. I prefer the ui navigation (and ui overall) and the ability to add stuff on the phone instead of just from RSS feeds in BeyondPod.

I didn't buy BeyondPod so the inability to refresh all podcasts is a pain, so I might stick with PocketCasts if they get things fix things like auto-downloading, a dark skin, letting the phone go to auto-sleep when playing a podcast and making the notifications download panel actually worthwhile. They seem to be updating it constantly since the 4.0 release so I'm going to wait it out for a few more weeks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AntennaPod has been updated with some neat little UI changes.

Yep just got the update as well. Nice update, and it's my podcast program of choice. It's open source, actively developed, has a holo ui, and it's free. It's not as crazy featured or anything, but it's well free.

PaulLFC

Alright, I updated to 4.05 and nope, I still need to manually tell it to download all unplayed podcasts or uncheck/check the auto-download box before it downloads anything. I guess it's good that it's overly cautious rather than wasting bandwidth for some people but it's still bizarre.
Strangely, I seem to have the same problem now. I wasn't having any issues at first, but now it isn't auto-downloading some podcasts. They seem to be podcasts I'd originally set to not auto-download back in the old version when there was per-podcast settings - it seems to have retained those settings even though there's no way to currently change them, which is disappointing. Hopefully they bring per-podcast options back soon, although it did just get a 4.0.6 update so I need to see if that fixed the issue or not.

Edit: The auto download option had become unticked for one of my playlists which was the issue - not sure why as I don't remember changing it, but all seems well now.

No real reason to switch from SuperSU pro right?

depends on how you define real reason.

Why another Superuser?
* Superuser should be open source. It's the gateway to root on your device. It must be open for independent security analysis. Obscurity (closed source) is not security.
* Superuser should be NDK buildable. No internal Android references.
* Superuser should also be AOSP buildable for those that want to embed it in their ROM.
* Superuser should also be AOSP embeddable, meaning a ROM can easily embed it into their Settings app.
* Maintenance and updates on both the market and source repositories should be timely.
* If something goes wrong, I can fix it.
* Handle multiuser (4.2+) properly
* Handle concurrent su requests properly

and for people that didn't opt for Pro, there's no reason to stay with SuperSU.

Threi

notag
Id like to point out though that since this superuser app got announced supersu has been updating like crazy

Guess it lit a fire under chainfire's ass :lol

Id like to point out though that since this superuser app got announced supersu has been updating like crazy

Guess it lit a fire under chainfire's ass :lol

yeah, first Koush releases Carbon and then magically, the other Carbon is released, now this.

dear Koush, please release something that makes Federico update his apps!

KarmaCow

So just following up on this, I was dumb again. It seems to update when new items are added to an RSS feed but not when I subscribe to a new podcast, which makes sense. I was trying to test it out because I didn't have any podcasts updating on Saturday or Sunday and I thought it would autodownload the latest podcast in a new feed. It seems to be working now, at least for a few podcasts.

Yep, just log into Chrome on Windows and also Chrome on Android and tap "Other Devices" on the new tab page.

Thanks! I didn't know Chrome could sync tabs too, I thought it only did bookmarks, but apparently it can sync everything... kinda scary actually.

Top Bottom