• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

jokkir

Who remembers when people really wanted Chrome to come out on mobile and it was going to be the greatest mobile web browser ever? Good times
3AQmK.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
challenger-approaching.jpg

A totally redesigned Opera from the ground up has been pushed to Beta. It's now based on the WebKit engine verses Opera's own. Plus they totally redesigned the UI. Gone are separate bars for address and search and going to a single bar. Basically it looks very much like Chrome with some Opera twists.

Oh yeah BTW this is preliminary, but I'm posting from the new browser. So far the performance is FULL OF WIN! This shits all over the latest Chrome stable in terms of performance, responsiveness, and scrolling.

Opera Beta Play Store

ScOULaris

Oh yeah BTW this is preliminary, but I'm posting from the new browser. So far the performance is FULL OF WIN! This shits all over the latest Chrome stable in terms of performance, responsiveness, and scrolling.

And stock JB browser shits over both the new Opera and Chrome in terms of performance and scrolling.

Doopliss

The latest Chrome has similar performance to the CM10.1 Browser on my GS2, i.e. really good. Opera Beta is not quite up to the same level. It's a bit less smooth overall, but while pages are rendering it's very stuttery. I wouldn't say performance is bad, not like Chrome 18 was, but it definitely isn't great. I also don't like that the maximum scrolling speed is slower than Google's browsers. You do get the pop-up arrow when scrolling quickly to jump to the top/bottom of the page, a feature which I remember liking when Opera was my main browser on Gingerbread, but since ICS I've got used to the insanely fast scrolling letting me navigate even long pages in just a couple of flings.

I don't want to sound to negative about it though. I'm happy that there's another competitive browser on Android.

Regarding the blurriness problem in Chrome 25, from what I could gather from their issues tracker they have a fix for it now which should be available in a beta of m26 in the next few days and they intend to push it out to stable m25 when it's had a bit of testing.

Sale tomorrow.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ere-are-some-of-the-deals-youll-see-tomorrow/

It's been [almost] a year since Google rebranded the Android Market as the Google Play Store, and to celebrate, the big G is planning on kicking off a bunch of content sales all over the world. And in some parts of the world, where today is tomorrow (eg, March 6th), the sale has already begun. Our Australian readers will be happy to know that the Play Store's big 1-year bash is well on its way - various movies, books, apps, and games are all on sale at low, low prices. If you're in Australia, here are the URL's to the various sale pages.

PaulLFC

Those deals are very poor unless the prices haven't updated yet. The first thing I see on the list is a Madonna album for £8.99 - that's not even a deal, it's £7.49 on Amazon.

No apps either, at least for today - just IAP stuff, which is disappointing.

Doopliss

Here are a few apps worth downloading and two e-books which are entertaining and informative.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ NUTS
These all look great, but what I'm really after is a travel guide for some of the islands around Italy. Do you know if such a thing is available on Android?

jokkir

Oh huh, he's banned. I guess it was his apps lol.

Anyway, what are peoples experience with Greeify so far? It seems to have improved my battery life but I'm not sure if that's just me using my phone less.

yogloo

My funny experience about battery percentages. I used to have percentages turned on for my phone and I can't stop checking the percentages trying to calculate how much battery life that I have left. This actually killed my battery life because I kept checking the screen every few minutes.

One day I decided to screw it and turned off the percentages. Now I spend less time checking the battery left on the phone and actually get a longer life out of my battery.

Oh huh, he's banned. I guess it was his apps lol.

Anyway, what are peoples experience with Greeify so far? It seems to have improved my battery life but I'm not sure if that's just me using my phone less.

I have to say on average it gains me about 15% Battery for a day at work.

What I do like about it is that I have Facebook and Yahoo Mail set to Hibernate, I get so many random beeps from new notifications it's ridiculous, and Greenify disables it all while giving me a little more battery, so it's win win.

Slayven

I am using X-plore File Manager on my phone. Is there a way to backup it's settings and move them to my tablet? I have an assload of drive accounts saved in them and too lazy to put them all in again on the tablet.

vilmer_

I picked up a Galaxy S3 over the weekend and since Pandora isn't available in Canada anymore, does anyone have any other recommendations? I've been messing around with Slacker and it seems pretty decent. On another note, this phone is absolutely amazing!

My S3 has been a bit slow these days and makes random noises every now and then when i check it or charge it. Could it be possibly infected with a virus?

And if so, any apps that can take care of it ?

beje

Banned
Which is my best option for a lightweight weather widget that won't kill my battery? I tried AccuWeather but it's using a whooping 30MB of RAM with 3 services and I think that' WAY TOO MUCH for a 512MB RAM phone...

netBuff

Which is my best option for a lightweight weather widget that won't kill my battery? I tried AccuWeather but it's using a whooping 30MB of RAM with 3 services and I think that' WAY TOO MUCH for a 512MB RAM phone...

Get Beautiful Widgets or HD Widgets (I like the former more for its tablet stylings while the latter, HD Widgets, tends to look more elegant on phones).

beje

Banned
Get Beautiful Widgets or HD Widgets (I like the former more for its tablet stylings while the latter, HD Widgets, tends to look more elegant on phones).

Not like the memory footprint has improved... but at least it's just one service and not 3 doing god-knows-what. The whole lot of options kind of make the 1.50€ easier to swalow.

Not like the memory footprint has improved... but at least it's just one service and not 3 doing god-knows-what. The whole lot of options kind of make the 1.50€ easier to swalow.

memory usage isn't what kills your battery though. what kills it are the weather refresh rate and location check if you set it to use GPS to determine location instead of entering it manually.

Anybody have an Xperia J (or maybe a V or T)? Is it possible to turn off vibrate when receiving a text? I tried un-checking the vibrate when ringing option but my Xperia J still vibrates when I receive a text. Any help?

PaulLFC

Is there an app that will allow controlling media with the volume keys? There used to be a tweak for jailbroken iOS devices where you could hold down volume up to choose the next track, volume down to choose the previous track, and both up & down to play/pause.

Anything that will do that on Android? Prefarably for all songs/podcasts regardless of app. I found Tactile Player which I'll try out, any other options?

Anybody have an Xperia J (or maybe a V or T)? Is it possible to turn off vibrate when receiving a text? I tried un-checking the vibrate when ringing option but my Xperia J still vibrates when I receive a text. Any help?
Check the Messaging app notification settings, if there's not an option to change it there you could disable notifications and then download SMS Popup which replaces it with a notification you can customise, so you should be able to control vibration that way.

Thanks PaulLFC, forgot about the messaging settings.

Also, any good apps which allow an alternate way to wake the screen? I don't want to have to press the power button all the time. Is there an app that enables screen waking by pressing the home button or maybe tapping the screen? Thanks GAF.

EDIT:

GAF hasn't let me down so I'll ask for recommendations in the following app categories as well:

web reader app
ebook/PDF reader
file manager
widgets
office suite/doc, spreadsheet, slide viewer/editor.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is there an app that will allow controlling media with the volume keys? There used to be a tweak for jailbroken iOS devices where you could hold down volume up to choose the next track, volume down to choose the previous track, and both up & down to play/pause.

Anything that will do that on Android? Prefarably for all songs/podcasts regardless of app. I found Tactile Player which I'll try out, any other options?

Check the Messaging app notification settings, if there's not an option to change it there you could disable notifications and then download SMS Popup which replaces it with a notification you can customise, so you should be able to control vibration that way.

I know CyanogenMod has this built in. Provided the screen is black you tap up and down for volume or hold it down to skip tracks. Not sure about play/pause though.

kaskade

I know CyanogenMod has this built in. Provided the screen is black you tap up and down for volume or hold it down to skip tracks. Not sure about play/pause though.
Yeah I think I did this on accident one time. I'm assuming that's what it does.

I gotta say I've been using the default browser on CyanogenMod and its pretty good. Usually I just install chrome but the scrolling and loading seems to be faster.

It doesn't sync like chrome does though, right? That's the one thing I'm missing.

Doopliss

Yeah I think I did this on accident one time. I'm assuming that's what it does.

I gotta say I've been using the default browser on CyanogenMod and its pretty good. Usually I just install chrome but the scrolling and loading seems to be faster.

It doesn't sync like chrome does though, right? That's the one thing I'm missing.
It syncs bookmarks with desktop Chrome, as long as you have your account encryption set to passwords only (on the desktop).

Hello, I have a really quick question.

What's a good simple to use, no bullshit app. In which I can read Powerpoints, Word and PDF document.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have to make a reccomendation for a browser here...after looking for a chrome replacement that could do fullscreen, I've been really impressed with Xscope Browser. The really amazing feature here is swiping the screen left to push the current page away and go back, but it's in memory so you can swipe halfway to look at the last page and just let go. There's no loading, it's really something I wish every tablet browser would do on the future.

Plus it has a way to fast jump to the top of the page, double-tap below the status bar. Its full screen is well done, but a little figity sometimes...the fullscreen I wish every browser would use is the one in the iPhone Google Search app, where you scroll down and you're full screen, you scroll up and the bar instantly appears. Why is Android Chrome so outdated feature wise?

DrFurbs

I dont get the hate for Chrome - i really like it. I've tried FF and Opera on my Nexus 4 and chrome is the easiest to use amongst them. Really love the sync feature with my desktop too.

PaulLFC

Bit of a strange request - is there an app which will list or log activity of other apps and what they do with the phone?

The main reason is I see "searching for GPS" a lot and I'd like to see which apps search for GPS the most so I can decide if it's worth disabling GPS for certain apps or not.

Angst

Bit of a strange request - is there an app which will list or log activity of other apps and what they do with the phone?

The main reason is I see "searching for GPS" a lot and I'd like to see which apps search for GPS the most so I can decide if it's worth disabling GPS for certain apps or not.

Not a logging app, but Greenify identifies the app that runs in the background and you can "greenify" them so they don't run in the background unnecessarily.

sun-drop

whats the best video converter app?

S3 plays most formats, but if i need to convert the odd file, or even to a ps3-playable format before offloading to a USb stick ...

basically want to keep from booting my pc during the whole proccess

Top Bottom