• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT 2| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!

XenoRaven

That was Punk and Cena's idea, Vince yelled at both in the back for doing it. Punk almost got suspended, instead they both got fined because Cena said it was his idea. It was a dumb idea that could have resulted in injury and luckily hasn't been attempted since
I mean, Aksana almost destroyed Naomi's eye by basically doing nothing and Jinder concussed Finn with a forearm strike. It's a dangerous business. But if both people know what they're doing and the dangerous stuff is used sparingly, you minimize the risk.

Vince's response to Punk and Cena was correct, otherwise you'd get idiots doing piledriver spots every WrestleMania and Summerslam to try to get their shitty match over. It was still a great moment that I will always remember.

Syder

Think about the time Punk hit Cena with a piledriver on RAW because the GTS didn't put him away. It got a huge pop, because the piledriver is "banned". It was saved for a special moment, in a match that was part of a bitter feud between two top stars.
Cena kicked out of it though, which made the entire spot pointless as well as dangerous.

XenoRaven

I guess I don't see two highly experienced and talented wrestlers agreeing to one pile driver spot one time in modern WWE history is somehow horribly dangerous.

I guess the spot had the desired effect.

Gibbs

In hindsight I really don't know why the spinner belt was kept as that design for so long.

I was hoping they would have went back to the Undisputed title. It was weird watching Orton, Triple H and others carrying around the spinner title. I understood Edge, especially when he turned it into the rated r championship.

Gibbs

I think slot of it had to do with various deals they made with toy companies

Unfortunately I owned a replica spinner title. Not my greatest purchase. I wish I would have purchased the World title at that time, or the WWF title(attitude era), or Austins smoking skull belt.

from the D-Generation X wikipedia page

DX promos always include a signature move whereby the wrestler points his hands towards his own crotch, making the shape of a "V", and in the later, more popular variant with hands crossed, an "X". The implication is that the viewer or listener should "suck it" (i.e. perform oral sex).

XenoRaven

One of my favorite wrestlers ever uses a cradle piledriver as a finisher. I've never seen him injure someone with it. Not saying he hasn't, I've just never seen it. Meanwhile, Shibata dislocated Hirooki Goto's jaw with a forearm, and AJ almost paralyzed Yoshi Tatsu with a Styles Clash.

Gibbs

What the fuck

Right. I literally just had my graduation party and it was an impulse buy back in 2007. Thinking back, I really should have went with the world championship, but I had to have the damn spinner title.

The tiny white "jewls" kept falling out though. It was a pain in the ass.

XenoRaven

Neither are, in fact, full time wrestling ever again. Correct.

Imagine saying in 2013 we'd have no more full time Punk, Cena, Honma, or Shibata
Punk and Cena aren't away because of injuries. Punk lost his love for the business and Cena wants to be on TV and in movies.

If in 2013, you told me Honma and Shibata would have to retire due to injury in 3-4 years, I absolutely would have believed it. I'm way more surprised that Trump is President than I am that Shibata has a serious head injury.

Adree

Nakamura was so smart to get out of NJPW. Now he's making good money just walking to the ring and strutting around.

I don't think anyone would have assumed Shibata could keep going at this pace. I'm worried about Okada too, he has taken a lot of very big bumps this year.

Remember before WK9 Shibata tweeting he was going to shave years off his life facing Ishii. People laughed and thought he was awesome, but yeah.

One of my favorite wrestlers ever uses a cradle piledriver as a finisher. I've never seen him injure someone with it. Not saying he hasn't, I've just never seen it. Meanwhile, Shibata dislocated Hirooki Goto's jaw with a forearm, and AJ almost paralyzed Yoshi Tatsu with a Styles Clash.
To be fair on AJ, that was Yoshi's fault for tucking his head in. If you take the Clash do not tuck your head in and the worst you could get is a broken nose, tuck your head in and thats the weight of 2 people on your neck.

Gibbs

the spinner belt is better looking than the shitty license plate belt they have now

How dare you disgrace the amazing title of the universe! I mean, the ugly ass red strap and incredible W design is uncanny. Its the greatest design ever!

Seriously, I hate, HATE the WWE Title/Universal title design Titles use to have so much character, but these are poor, half assed.. Especially that they did the same design/plate to the Raw and Smackdown Womans title also. I have a feeling eventually they'll make the IC title similar, and the US title like it to make all the titles match.

Pretty sad when NXT has waaaaay better title designs. NXT titles feel more professional and have more character then both WWE titles on the main roster.

XenoRaven

Things more surprising​ than a Honma or Shibata head injury:

AJ not being ruined in WWE
Jinder Mahal being rehired
Bray Wyatt winning the World Title
People not named XenoRaven cheering for Sheamus in 2017

Adree

I finally put Persona 5 on Easy because the combat is still tedious and simple. At least the dungeons seem far less of a slog this time.

I had a beautiful replica WWE Undisputed Championship once. Then we had a signing at our bar for some kind of local Make-a-Wish deal and my Dad had my belt signed by Ted DiBiase, Kurt Angle, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, and Lita without asking if I'd like to have my belt written all over.

Mizerman

the spinner belt is better looking than the shitty license plate belt they have now

It's because at least the spinner belt stands out a bit compared to the current belt. It wasn't good, but at least it had an identity compared to the by-the-numbers belt that they have now.

Apparently this happened in TNA
kaDpIEjM.jpg

I finally put Persona 5 on Easy because the combat is still tedious and simple. At least the dungeons seem far less of a slog this time.

I'm playing on Normal. I'm finding it is only SP that is holding me back this time round. I am enjoying the game but I mean, 40 hours in and the kind of main story arc still being somewhat nebulous is a bit ridiculous.

Also, Hogan on the TLF special. Fucking hell. This is a weird one.

I had a beautiful replica WWE Undisputed Championship once. Then we had a signing at our bar for some kind of local Make-a-Wish deal and my Dad had my belt signed by Ted DiBiase, Kurt Angle, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, and Lita without asking if I'd like to have my belt written all over.

tumblr_omvu4qBJ1f1um3b3no1_250.gif

Can't imagine getting mad because your fake fake belt got signed.

I'm playing on Normal. I'm finding it is only SP that is holding me back this time round. I am enjoying the game but I mean, 40 hours in and the kind of main story arc still being somewhat nebulous is a bit ridiculous.

Also, Hogan on the TLF special. Fucking hell. This is a weird one.

It was awesome seeing
John du Pont
return, considering their portrayal of him got me to listen to the podcast.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was that new SD belt real btw? I actually think it looks great :(

Zach

I think the spinner/non-spinning spinner design is gaudy and bad. Probably my least favorite major singles championship design.

Top Bottom