• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT 2| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!

Foggy

I guess this is actually a symptom of how we grew up differently? I was right in the DVD era but we rented everything, I barely own any DVDs

It's part of it. The dvd boom made physical media cheap as fuck and by the point it was completely oversaturated, streaming picked up the baton and offered a better alternative to bloated home libraries.

But I've always been a movie junkie so I'll always buy new physical media from the boutique labels. I don't want a purely digital future but it was convenient enough to convince me to get rid of a vast majority of the shit I used to own. Also I'm an adult with a job so I won't cry if I have to spend $3 to rent something I used to own.

Sephzilla

Friend imBask, I'm admittedly a bit of a movie buff myself so that does influence my preference for physical media over streaming. Having my own personal library gives me more variety over what streaming services have

jmdajr

I guess this is actually a symptom of how we grew up differently? I was right in the DVD era but we rented everything, I barely own any DVDs

I have so many DVDs. Hundreds. BluRays? Maybe close to a hundred, not sure.
I assume I will be even pickier with 4K movies.

My biggest shame is, did I really need that many animu DVD's? Sure I have stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Eva, Bersek, Onizuka, and Trigun..but man. I do have some trash as well.
There was no other options back then though. Not legally anyway.

First DVD I ever had was The Fifith Element 1997, and the 2nd was Ghost in the Shell which I already had on VHS. I was shocked by the upgrade of quality at the time. It was astounding. I was 19 years old at the time.

The DVD rush/boom was bonkers. Every time I walked into Wal-Mart or Best Buy there would another 100 dvds priced at $5. I was buying them just to have them, but then never watching them.

imBask

Banned
Friend imBask, I'm admittedly a bit of a movie buff myself so that does influence my preference for physical media over streaming. Having my own personal library gives me more variety over what streaming services have

Robocop is garbage regardless of the resolution

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm not hallucinating this shit, right? I am legitimately going to have to hear Cole, Graves, Booker, and everyone on the Raw roster say "Great Balls of Fire" for an entire month?

ok real talk friday : who here owns WWE DVDs, please step forward

Quite a few built up since 2001, back in the days before the network this was how you rewatched matches!

Of course I ain't got anything since the network, except the Best of NXT blu ray.

edit: in general I'm incredibly hard pressed to think of people's houses I've been in that HAVEN'T had plenty of DVDs in general, unless it's old folks in which case there's the remnants of VHS still lurking.

jmdajr

I used to buy Movie DVDs almost every Tuesday from Best Buy. Hell they had better deals back then than now for new releases.

Loved hearing the commentary on them. I don't even know if people do that now.

Foggy

I bought a big ass 500 dvd binder from Amazon and it barely covers half of what I have. And that's after selling off hundreds of dvds and blus. It's obscene.

But I did get the Miami Vice complete series on blu for $50 so I'm pleased as punch.

Code:
         (                                         (     (     (         )   (      (     (    (         
 (       )\ )       (       *   )     (     (      )\ )  )\ )  )\ )   ( /(   )\ )   )\ )  )\ ) )\ )      
 )\ )   (()/( (     )\    ` )  /(   ( )\    )\    (()/( (()/( (()/(   )\()) (()/(  (()/( (()/((()/( (    
(()/(    /(_)))\ ((((_)(   ( )(_))  )((_)((((_)(   /(_)) /(_)) /(_)) ((_)\   /(_))  /(_)) /(_))/(_)))\   
 /(_))_ (_)) ((_) )\ _ )\ (_(_())  ((_)_  )\ _ )\ (_))  (_))  (_))     ((_) (_))_| (_))_|(_)) (_)) ((_)  
(_)) __|| _ \| __|(_)_\(_)|_   _|   | _ ) (_)_\(_)| |   | |   / __|   / _ \ | |_   | |_  |_ _|| _ \| __| 
  | (_ ||   /| _|  / _ \    | |     | _ \  / _ \  | |__ | |__ \__ \  | (_) || __|  | __|  | | |   /| _|  
   \___||_|_\|___|/_/ \_\   |_|     |___/ /_/ \_\ |____||____||___/   \___/ |_|    |_|   |___||_|_\|___|

Pikma

Banned
I'm not hallucinating this shit, right? I am legitimately going to have to hear Cole, Graves, Booker, and everyone on the Raw roster say "Great Balls of Fire" for an entire month?
But I thought you didn't watch "RAM in 2017"?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Hex

Banned
*brags about quality, probably couldn't tell the difference between a bluray and a 2017 streaming service side by side*

Then you need a better tv.
I am at 689 blu rays currently.
I have VUDU for digi copies when I want to stream to my phone or tablet, very handy and they come with the blu.
I also have Netflix and I have Amazon Prime.
It costs roughly the same to buy a movie on blu and get the digi copy than it does to buy the digital copy because of course we are talking about legal and legitimate streaming movies I would assume.

Hex

Banned
I need to pick up an Xbox One S and start getting on that 4K bluray collection. I need to see Fury Road in 4k HDR

I heard bad things about it so I picked up a Samsung 4k stand alone which is really good.
Sicario right now is one of my reference discs though Fantastic Beasts looked really good.
I have Planet Earth 2 but have not cracked it open yet.

Zach

Theres so many ahows and movies out there i just see it as a waste to watch something you already saw again

This is how I generally feel about moviez and gamez and showz, but then I'm like "oh hello, 2001: A Space Odyssey/Metal Gear/Always Sunny..."

Bronx-Man

Banned
This makes me realize that if 2017 Vince was around in 1984, WrestleMania would actually be called The Colossal Tussle.

Also the WWF would be dead.

Netflix getting rid of The X-Files, Bob's Burgers, Buffy, Angel, and House this month is a real son of a bitch.

Also, I can buy the entire X-Files collection for less money than it'd take to buy the streamed episodes, and the streaming service wouldn't even include the special features. THE END
Is the newest season of X-Files worth the watch? As someone who has seen the entire series and the films? I can't find it streaming anywhere and I might have to buy it but I heard it wasn't that good.

Hex

Banned
Hockey sucks

giphy.gif

Sorry, what was that?

Top Bottom