• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It really is a shame that Ziggler has had that permanent spot on the mid card when Ryder could have had that spot. Ziggler should have been the one to get that burial.

ReiGun

Once they decided to put the IC title back on Miz, you knew it was a wrap for Dolph. All jokes about his promos aside, that run really did feel like his last chance. Now, no one cares about him and crowds seem to be actively annoyed by him.

My main problem with Ziggles even years ago is one that still haunts him to this day and that is that he has NEVER had any identifiable character traits, seriously, you can throw monikers like THE SHOW OFF and....err whatever else he may have been called but that doesn't stop him from being vanilla as fuck.

To be fair to Dolph, that isn't a problem exclusive to him. A lot of guys and gals in modern WWE have "characters" that are really just buzzwords and slogans that can be made into t-shirts.

Like, if you asked me to describe Seth Rollins without using the words "architect" or "kingslayer," I doubt I would be able to.

Cesaro has been in WWE for like five years and has not figured out an interesting character for himself. He's either leeched off of other people who are interesting (Zeb Colter, Paul Heyman, Viking Sheamus) or just been a generic babyface who hits his poses and his spots and fucks off, possibly with a stupid James Bond silhouette during his entrance for no reason and with no concurrent change in mannerisms on his part. His run as US champ was about as interesting as he, himself, ever got, and that was NOT a main event-level gimmick, not even close.

"Guy with a ton of movez who upcoming babyfaces can have a good match with and beat to bolster credibility with savvier fans" seems about the appropriate role for him, and it's the one he fulfills.

To be fair to Dolph, that isn't a problem exclusive to him. A lot of guys and gals in modern WWE have "characters" that are really just buzzwords and slogans that can be made into t-shirts.

Like, if you asked me to describe Seth Rollins without using the words "architect" or "kingslayer," I doubt I would be able to.

True, I also find Seth pretty bland for similar reasons, he had the extra movez going for him at least though his injuries will probably hinder that.

tomorrow's graps

b0Azmxy.gif

Cesaro has been in WWE for like five years and has not figured out an interesting character for himself. He's either leeched off of other people who are interesting (Zeb Colter, Paul Heyman, Viking Sheamus) or just been a generic babyface who hits his poses and his spots and fucks off, possibly with a stupid James Bond silhouette during his entrance for no reason and with no concurrent change in mannerisms on his part. His run as US champ was about as interesting as he, himself, ever got, and that was NOT a main event-level gimmick, not even close.

"Guy with a ton of movez who upcoming babyfaces can have a good match with and beat to bolster credibility with savvier fans" seems about the appropriate role for him, and it's the one he fulfills.
I think currently Sheamus has cesarso to thank for his current popularity. No one gave a shit about him before they started teaming up, but i hope cesarso can find a character that propels him to the top to feud with people like AJ and even Roman, I can see them having some good matches.

The hate started when he turned heel and started beating on minorities while wearing the american flag.

C4HmVhBWQAIczAn.jpg:large

The weird thing about that Ziggler segment (or one of those anyway) is that he gets booed to hell while he was beating up Apollo with the chair. Then Kalisto comes to make the save, Ziggler beats the hell out of HIM with the chair, then all of a sudden the crowd loved it.

It was fucking bizarre.

Still kinda feeling my way through how NJPW does things when I have time to do so. Are the "Road to..." shows considered must-watch, as in does significant stuff happen at them?

Still kinda feeling my way through how NJPW does things when I have time to do so. Are the "Road to..." shows considered must-watch, as in does significant stuff happen at them?

Generally not, Road to... shows are just setups for the big shows. Sometimes there'll be a small angle (they had a really good "road to new beginnings" show a couple of months ago where Suzuki "injured" Okada before their big match), but nothing huge.

People who are high on the card in a big show will generally be in a tag match match on the road to shows with their big show opponent on the other team.

Generally not, Road to... shows are just setups for the big shows. Sometimes there'll be a small angle (they had a really good "road to new beginnings" show a couple of months ago where Suzuki "injured" Okada before their big match), but nothing huge.

People who are high on the card in a big show will generally be in a tag match match on the road to shows with their big show opponent on the other team.

Sorta what I figured, thanks. Not that there's anything wrong with watching an "insignificant" show that has good wrestling in it.

Syder

A character and moveset seem like necessary tools to me.
I meant having a great physique, being good-looking and by the time he was a singles competitor already had a few years in the business.

Look at Randy Orton, the guy is 6ft 5in, ripped, handsome and a third-generation wrestler that had some of the best minds in the business in his ear. There's no reason why Orton shouldn't be the greatest wrestler of all time but he just isn't interesting even with one of the most famous signature moves.

ziggler is a good reminder of what a cesaro push would look like
Ouch, DW... Cesaro would have much better matches though.

I dare say, Cesaro would prosper on SmackDown.

From a thread in gaming side:

I never understood the irrational love people have for Peter Moore. I guess it's because he's really a charismatic man?
His track record in the videogames industry is terrible: even if it wasn't only his fault, he was still there to give the kiss of death to Sega; he was at Microsoft when all the rrod disaster happened; he was at EA in what probably was (and still is) the darkest age of the company from a creative point of view, ecc.
The man appears to me as an incredible and successful business man who only cares about making money. I guess if Peter Moore is Vince Mcmahon, Yuji Naka is Paul Heyman.

No because the wwe have never had a public history of racist, sexist, homophobic, disability shaming and all round bullying story line and backstage incidents. Nope, none at all....

Zach

Hey, listen, I know some of you looooove Dave Meltzer and some of you haaaaate Dave Meltzer, but I just wanna say wrestling fans are lucky to have that guy around.

Top Bottom