• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

cordy

Banned
Something to think about
As of November 22, 1990, when Taker debuted at Survivor Series:

- Hulk Hogan was in the middle of a program with Earthquake
- Ultimate Warrior was running the C house shows with Legion of Doom against Demolition.
- Randy Savage was prepping for a program with Warrior.
- Dusty Rhodes was running a program with Ted DiBiase. His son Dustin was preparing to debut in the next few months. His other son Cody was five years old.
- Bret Hart had just lost his brother Dean the day before. He was defending the WWF Tag Team Championship with Jim Neidhart against Honky Tonk Man and Greg Valentine. His brother Owen was working in Mexico.
- Shawn Michaels was coming off a knee injury, teaming with Marty Jannetty against Hercules and Paul Roma.
- Paul Bearer was in World Class, awaiting a call that would change his career.
- Ric Flair and Sting were in WCW, both involved in the Black Scorpion feud.
- Jimmy Snuka was working as enhancement talent for the WWE.
- Jake Roberts was feuding with Rick Martel, one year away from a heel turn and a promised position backstage.
- Giant Gonzales was performing as El Giante in WCW.
- Yokozuna was a journeyman, floating between a dying AWA, Japan and Mexico.
- King Kong Bundy was trying his hand at acting away from the ring.
- Kevin Nash was working as part of the tag team the Master Blasters in WCW.
- Sid Vicious was feuding with El Giante in WCW, coming off a short feud with Sting.
- Glen Jacobs was 23, two years away from his in ring debut.
- Big Boss Man was running a program against Bobby Heenan's family after his feud with Rick Rude was aborted when Rude said unkind things about Boss Man's mother.
- Steve Austin was working in World Class.
- Mick Foley was floating between World Class, Continental and WCW.
- The Rock was at the University of Miami.
- Triple H was 21, lifting weights and attempting to be persuaded that professional wrestling was a good career move.
- Big Show was 18 years old, as was Matt Bloom.
- Randy Orton was ten years old.
- Mark Henry was a 19 year old power and weightlifting prodigy.
- Dave Batista was 21, bouncing and struggling to stay out of trouble.
- Edge was 17 and training while helping to pay bills at home.
- Phil Brooks was 12 years old.
- Brock Lesnar was 13 years old, as was John Cena.
- Bray Wyatt was three years old.
- Shane McMahon was working backstage at WWF, occasionally refereeing matches.
- Roman Reigns was five years old.
- AJ Styles was 13 years old.

Toki767

So Raw begins or ends with Angle as new GM?

Personally I'd start Raw with the Hardys. Get the "Delete" chants out of the way.

Hex

Banned
Could probably buy him more than a tomato can like Shibata.
53c78be9d2.png

Why you gotta be a dick Dick?
Shibata does not deserve that, Shibata is f'ing great.

korly

For those that watched Mania, did it seem like they were fucking with the crowd audio a bunch last night? Particularly during the Goldberg entrance?

Shawn Michales knows Bobby Roode is special. Why cant you guys see it?

He is more of a horsemen than HHH will ever be. The dude is fkn world class.

shaowebb

Read the Wrestlemania results. Nothing at all seemed surprising to me. It all was Vince's boys and his kind of boys pulling things along which they obviously think is "good and what folks want".

I'd have kept the title on Bray and used Randy to build that fucker up some. Dude needs more W in his career especially with the Wyatt Family busted up now. Looked around expecting Roman to beat Taker and retire him because its so awful it had to happen and I was right.

Just tell me...was ALL of Taker/Roman this bad?
coGiwVX.gif

cordy

Banned
Rollins or Reigns? I thought it was Reigns moving over.
I've heard both of them moving over a few times this month. Definitely Styles. As for Reigns or Rollins? One of them. Also heard New Day's moving to SDL. Xavier actually mentioned some shake-ups on that last UUDD stream too but he didn't say what. From a storyline perspective it makes the most sense for Rollins and Styles to switch brands especially if they want that Lesnar/Reigns match for the title.
Styles deserves to be "the guy." I bet they pair him with Roman in another ploy to get "the big dog" over if AJ switches brands.
If changes happen expect some Balor matches for sure.

cordy

Banned
Read the Wrestlemania results. Nothing at all seemed surprising to me. It all was Vince's boys and his kind of boys pulling things along which they obviously think is "good and what folks want".

I'd have kept the title on Bray and used Randy to build that fucker up some. Dude needs more W in his career especially with the Wyatt Family busted up now. Looked around expecting Roman to beat Taker and retire him because its so awful it had to happen and I was right.

Just tell me...was ALL of Taker/Roman this bad?
coGiwVX.gif
Nah but most of it was sad.

Taker didn't deserve that.

Toki767

Honestly I thought Undertaker/Reigns was going pretty well in the beginning. All the way until the table spot or the Last Ride spot.

Whichever one came first. After that the match got pretty damn sloppy. And the blame goes to Reigns just as much as it goes to Undertaker.

3lfp9YF.gif

His entrance is a fair critique. That he needs merch sales is his problem, not the audiences'

If he has a gimmick which is making him money, then it's working. Like obviously it's not a problem for the majority of the audience. No need to change it up for the vocal minority. It's not like Balor is or ever was getting booed out of buildings like Roman either, so really the only way to argue against it is "I don't like it".

Cagey

Banned
Tyrod isn't coming back, the Ohio teams suck more than ever, and Pittsburgh still has Ben

My division and team abandoned me. I had to find shelter. And I did, in the big dog's yard
You're halfway to salvation friend.

For football... have you read the good Book of Elisha?

I have a ticket for Evolve 84, might try to grab a Takeover ticket too and go to whichever has the better lineup

I'd like to go Takeover for Asuka and whatnot but its fairly obvious Evolve will have the better wrasslin

I imagine Asuka puts over Ember, DIY wins the titles, Ohno does something, Aleister Black also does something. Which would be Ight but I feel like it'd mostly be carried by the overall production

shaowebb

Honestly I thought Undertaker/Reigns was going pretty well in the beginning. All the way until the table spot or the Last Ride spot.

Whichever one came first. After that the match got pretty damn sloppy. And the blame goes to Reigns just as much as it goes to Undertaker.

3lfp9YF.gif

I honestly felt that whatever happened it'd be both men draggin it into the gutter honestly. Undertaker has been relying on folks to help carry him for a good while now. He's been a big regrettable thing every PPV for awhile. Just a drooling, gassed old man trying hard to still act powerful and intimidating and it wasn't working. He needed someone who could work with a broom and make it exciting to cover for him when he eventually gassed out. AJ , while the best worker in the company at the moment, would've been a great guy to work with but I have no idea how it ever could have been built because while he can work anyone he just doesn't feel like a guy who I'd ever consider as the dude meant to retire Taker. Considering Vince's big boy was always Vince loyal it makes sense his last act was to push Vince's chosen guy agenda down our throats in one last bid to help Vince get his company on the road he wanted.
Honestly it should've been Brock to retire Taker. Roman vs Goldberg would've been even more fuckery than Roman beating Taker was had it been booked with Roman of course set to win, but at least Taker would have had a proper guy to send him off that made sense history-wise.

My final thoughts...why in the fuck with such an elderly PPV roster did they think it wise to build an 80 yard fucking entry ramp? Its like they wanted everyone to look gassed and weak.

Oersted

Roman didn't need the win because noone on the mainroster is in Kayfabe on his level(only Bork can live up to him and Finn for whatever reason), Taker should have stopped with wrestling a while ago and the storyline was shit.

So whatever.

With the setup, it was meant to be shit.

Top Bottom