• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I remember that, good callback. Funny post.

Hey, NVM. I told lady about your Marvel date ruining NXT and she was disgusted to the state of incredulity.

It isn't her fault. It's the whole group's fault.

My Nakamura-sempai...uguu~

Speaking of Ahmed lol , I've always wondered when you're in a match how come taking off your belt and hitting your opponent with it isn't dq but if you use a title belt it is.

Farooq did this to Ahmed, Shane did this to X-Pac, etc

Bronx-Man

Banned
Wrassle-GAF

VFmpnOp.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's an appropriate response for a ring announcer mispronouncing your name during your entrance?

Austin Aries's answer:
austin-aries-crotch-christy-hemme.gif

Such a piece of garbage. You'd think when you're shorter than Hemme you'd act a little bit more grown up, but I guess little people are slime.

I like how the Cena gif bookends the Aries one. It's as if this American hero is saying "I can't believe my company hired this man. I'm a man without a country."

Zach

Zach, you're watching all RAWs and Nitros too? I thought you were just doing PPVs.

Watching it all. That wasn't the original plan, but context is key. I'm a foolish, disgusting man. v_v

But I've found a good method for watching: only PPVs get my undivided attention. RAW and Nitro only get half-attention, unless something great is happening (Mick Foley/Chris Jericho segment, Eddie match, et cetera).

What's an appropriate response for a ring announcer mispronouncing your name during your entrance?

Austin Aries's answer:
austin-aries-crotch-christy-hemme.gif

That's pretty hideous.

I didn't realise he'd pulled the SJW card, that's a definite write off then.

Also Sunny, your CM Punk podcast bit has come back around for me and I now find it hilarious again.

Watching it all. That wasn't the original plan, but context is key. I'm a foolish, disgusting man. v_v

But I've found a good method for watching: only PPVs get my undivided attention. RAW and Nitro only get half-attention, unless something great is happening (Mick Foley/Chris Jericho segment, Eddie match, et cetera).

You're a brave man. I contemplated watching WWF/WCW circa the Monday Night Wars but I don't think I can do it. Not sure I can even go through with watching all of Nitro.

Zach

You're a brave man. I contemplated watching WWF/WCW circa the Monday Night Wars but I don't think I can do it. Not sure I can even go through with watching all of Nitro.

Here's the thing: there is no way I'd be able to do one without the other. It's nice to be able to hop back and forth when one isn't cutting the mustard. Not that "changing the channel" always yields a superior product; but at least it's a change in flavor (from yellow to dijon, in this metaphor analogy(?) Words don't even make sense right now. So sleepy...).

I retract what I said then, if it was a shoot then it was a dumb move

It wasn't planned. Hemme forgot names (like she occasionally does, like Lillian and all announcers sometimes do), both looked visibly pissed immediately but she corrected it soon after, and then after they got in the ring Aries did what he did. It was just as fucked up live as that GIF makes the end look

I'm delighted that the infamous Nobuhiko Takada vs. Bob Backlund match from 12/22/88 in UWF is back on the Web, so here we go. If you only think of Bob Backlund from his mid-1990s WWF run, you need to see this to understand why people say Backlund is underrated.

Backlund definitely looks shook by these kicks that Takada is throwing to his legs and head. Backlund evades a series of kicks and gets fired up; if nothing else, check out Backlund's fired up dance. He goes for a single leg, but Takada blocks him, and they stand back up. Backlund is using his amateur skill to take Takada down and try to get leverage, but Takada's too good for that. Takada gets a single leg takedown, and they stalemate again. This makes the #grapplefuck stuff in Evolve and elsewhere look like the choreographed dance they're accused of being; this shit feels real in the way the best pro wrestling can be. Backlund hits an abdominal stretch takedown, for God's sake. Backlund's emotion and selling is phenomenal; there's a moment when he slaps his fingers to get some feeling in an arm that Takada trapped that delighted me. Listening to the crowd pop for a neck crank about a third of the way into the match makes me wistful, and the cutaway to the huge bespectacled man yelling at Takada to get up was perfectly timed. Shit that wrestlers would use for rest holds, such as the neck clutch that forces Takada to use a rope break, are high spots. After Takada is forced to burn a rope break, he goes back to kicks to create space and takes Backlund down for a legbar. The legbar forces Backlund to use a rope break. Takada pounces with knee strikes, and Backlund responds with a huge delayed back suplex. Takada is downed, and Backlund tries to destroy Takada's arm with a Fujiwara armbar. Backlund's had enough of this shit and tries to take Takada's head off with an elbow, putting Takada down two falls. Takada rises and hits a flurry of strikes and a spin kick to knock Backlund down for the first time. But it's not enough for Takada, who hits Backlund with a backdrop driver and a flurry of kicks; Backlund suffers his first fall. Backlund pulls another little piece of pro wrasslin' out with a pinfall (!) attempt in a UWF match. Takada tries to get out, but he gives up his back to Backlund, who gets a headlock on. Backlund tries to choke Takada with his leg, which opens him up for Takada to roll out with a single leg crab. Takada goes back to the kicks, uses a judo throw to take Backlund down, and gets an armbar. Backlund bridges up to relieve the pressure, and Takada kicks him in the gut. Backlund bridges up a few more times, and Takada lets go, drags him into the middle of the ring, and puts Backlund back into a legbar. Backlund tries to step up out of the legbar, fails, and reverses it. The zoom in on Backlund's clenched fists as Takada tries to sink in a Fujiwara armbar is beautiful. Backlund's face gets busted up by a Takada kick to the face, and he looks dazed, wondering how and why he came to wrestle worked shoot matches in Japan. But he's not done yet; he uses a side headlock takedown into an armbar to force Takada to burn another rope break. A flurry of elbows and a release double underhook suplex sets up a Boston crab, which forces Takada to burn another rope break, a headlock, and the crossface chickenwing. Takada burns a rope break, and Backlund steps on Takada's face as you can see why these ending sequences and some of Backlund's exaggerated selling got Backlund criticized backstage for incorporating too much pro wrasslin' into this match for UWF's liking. A slam takes Takada down again, and Backlund locks in a legbar. Takada ain't taking that shit and kicks Backlund in the face and chest to get out. Backlund refuses to eat any more of Takada's kicks and tries to block them with his hands. Backlund valiantly fights an ankle lock and a single leg crab as blood streams from his nose down his face. The match ends on a TKO, and Backlund stands up like he's not sure what happened. He refuses Takada's handshake offer, and I wish we got more of Backlund's work in Japan because this was great.

Top Bottom