• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Zach

That's different than what was going on the following Monday on RAW which was people chanting just to fucking chant. We don't need a WHAT chant every promo or a HOLY SHIT or THIS IS AWESOME 3x a night. Save that for moments that actually matter. It's worse now, but this was also going on during the ECW run in the 00s. People chanting ECW after every table or chair shot. At some point the thing you chant multiple times a night loses value.

Yeah, for sure. But you're saying chants are fun and useful when appropriate, right? You're just not into that forced-chant culture, yeah?

The tag match from this was one of the best tag matches I've seen in some time. Just so much classic tag elements going on. I think this match is flying under the radar as people were so hyped on Nakamura/Zayn and Bayley/Asuka

Tremendous match. Sloppy at times, but it didn't matter. Excellent stuff.

Kaladin

On Saturday, May 7, in Queens, N.Y., EVOLVE Wrestling plays host to two qualifying matches, giving four competitors the opportunity of a lifetime. Two of EVOLVE’s most prominent mat technicians, reigning EVOLVE Tag Team Champions Drew Gulak and Tracy Williams, will square off against each other in the first qualifier. The second match is a battle to determine whether a rookie’s pure determination can overcome experience, as up-and-comer Fred Yehi battles 15-year veteran TJ Perkins.

More qualifying matches announced.

Fred Yehi vs TJ Perkins is especially interesting as TJP is Lucha Underground.

I'm rooting for Gulak.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Iconic Matt Hardy's stable The Brand might be the funniest thing ever in wrestling. His entourage is just wacky. Big strong guy...the former Funkasaurus. Little guy...the treacherous Rockstar Spud. His wife....and his newborn son?!?

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
The tag match from this was one of the best tag matches I've seen in some time. Just so much classic tag elements going on. I think this match is flying under the radar as people were so hyped on Nakamura/Zayn and Bayley/Asuka

I almost felt bad for Revival/AA. They put on a fantastic match, and it was forgotten one hour later once Nakamura/Zayn tore down the house. Revival especially, while not seemingly as athletically gifted as AA, just get it in terms of tag team wrestling. Really fun match. I'm really hoping we're going to see a strong tag division on the main roster soon.

Zach

The Iconic Matt Hardy's stable The Brand might be the funniest thing ever in wrestling. His entourage is just wacky. Big strong guy...the former Funkasaurus. Little guy...the treacherous Rockstar Spud. His wife....and his newborn son?!?

It's not bad. Based solely off of that one episode I watched when I had PS Vue for a week. I was somewhat entertained, which I did not expect.

Zach

I almost felt bad for Revival/AA. They put on a fantastic match, and it was forgotten one hour later once Nakamura/Zayn tore down the house. Revival especially, while not seemingly as athletically gifted as AA, just get it in terms of tag team wrestling. Really fun match. I'm really hoping we're going to see a strong tag division on the main roster soon.

I most certainly have not forgotten it. But I think if you have to recommend one NXT Dallas match, you gotta go with Nakamura/Zayn.

Really, though, the entire event is worth one's time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not bad. Based solely off of that one episode I watched when I had PS Vue for a week. I was somewhat entertained, which I did not expect.

He's a decent enough heel and this is a good way to get him in a program with his brother but man, what a visual coming out with these guys, his wife, and his baby. He inherited EC3's old heel stable and added his wife...and his baby.

Zach

He's a decent enough heel and this is a good way to get him in a program with his brother but man, what a visual coming out with these guys, his wife, and his baby. He inherited EC3's old heel stable and added his wife...and his baby.

I didn't realize that bolded bit (obvs). That seems pretty interesting.

But yeah, that baby and its weird hair are the real stars of that show. (Although Matt's hair was pretty funny, too. >_>)

Yeah, for sure. But you're saying chants are fun and useful when appropriate, right? You're just not into that forced-chant culture, yeah?

Yes, when appropriate a chant can be great. Not the best example, but while watching some stuff from 97 people are chanting stuff that is relevant to the story and what's going on. Not just random ass smarky stuff.

UberTag

How is the WWE a better company for his presence? What has he done in-ring that hasn't been seen before? How is he anything?
Roman is of more value to the WWE than any performer besides Brock, Cena, Taker and Triple H because they have decreed him to be of more value.
They've invested too much in building up his image to the point where his loss would be felt more than those who are infinitely more talented and worthy.
He's the baby of WWE Marketing.

Zach

How many of you all would shoot with Bart knowing that he got knocked the fuck out in 24 seconds.

You guys can do it.

For the last time, Bluekaveli: if you're asking me "would you shoot...?" the answer is always "yes."

Yes, when appropriate a chant can be great. Not the best example, but while watching some stuff from 97 people are chanting stuff that is relevant to the story and what's going on. Not just random ass smarky stuff.

Alright. We cool, we cool.

In a shoot fight does DM stomp his foot down with the timing of a punch?

I mean, do you want the added force or not? Seems like a stupid question.

Caderfix

Roman is of more value to the WWE than any performer besides Brock, Cena, Taker and Triple H because they have decreed him to be of more value.
They've invested too much in building up his image to the point where his loss would be felt more than those who are infinitely more talented and worthy.
He's the baby of WWE Marketing.

Yes, that's 100% accurate. I hope it fades away a bit, but until very recently, everything was all about him.

UberTag

Yes, that's 100% accurate. I hope it fades away a bit, but until very recently, everything was all about him.
It boggles my mind when people pull the "what has Roman done" card. He didn't need to DO anything apart from show up for work, not get hurt, be pretty and be born. Pretty people have it easier in life. Just like the rich. It has nothing to do with merit or him bringing any intangible to the equation. At this point his value has everything to do with what they've built up with him as the foundation. The Roman Reigns brand. That's enough.

Roman had a hernia last year in the middle of his push and was out for surgery during the build to this year's Mania. He can't be trusted. Pull the plug, WWE.

Yeah I've been trying to catch TNA for the past couple of weeks expecting some WCW 2000 level fuckery, but the dude is actually doing some great (and hilarious) heel work.

For the last time, Bluekaveli: if you're asking me "would you shoot...?" the answer is always "yes."

Alright. We cool, we cool.

I mean, do you want the added force or not? Seems like a stupid question.
Shoot by any means necessary

images

I always wonder why does this asshole cole insist on saying shit twice.

Zach

Brett shootin on Malenko:

"The next day I worked a Nitro match in Grand Rapids, Michigan, against pint-sized Dean Malenko, a second-generation wrestler who was a good, capable worker, although his style remind me of Cirque de Soleil - it was a little too rehearsed. When Malenko went for a standing suplex on me, I went up for him effortlessly in the air, straight as two dinner forks stuck together. Instead of taking me back for a simple back bump, Malenko decided to walk me the short distance to the corner, but he didn't have the size or strength and dropped me full-weight, crouching me and tearing my groin. I don't even know how I was able to bring myself to finish the match. I was in too much pain even to tell Dean how pissed off I was at him. Even worse, he dressed fast and left without acknowledging that he hurt me, or that has sorry. As well regarded as little Malenko was, I lost respect for him as a professional that day." - From "Hitman: My life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling" page 478.

UberTag

These goofy ass strawmen about wwe marketing is absurd. Im talking about the talent.
Well, if you want to talk about talent, the most talented guy on the roster is Shinsuke Nakamura. The WWE would be impacted more by losing Roman, though.

Could they have replicated what they've invested in Roman in anyone else? Of course they could have. But they didn't. And 3 years of Royal Rumble records, Mania main events, never getting pinned clean... this doesn't happen over night. So while Reigns is replaceable, their investment in him can't easily be transplanted onto someone else.

Zach

you think that's a dead giveaway?

I recited the CM Punk/Colt Cabana podcast for my drama exam, and when I got to the part where I said "Make Roman Look Strong", Sunny crashed through the door outta fucking nowhere and said "lol that's from that CM Punk podcast! I remember that!"

I always knew NeoGAF Vince McMahon was the Kool-Aid Man...

Caderfix

Uber already provided the answer in his/her post. Roman didn't do anything of note. I might have misunderstood what he/she meant, but I read it if it said Roman didn't do anything to deserve it, his value is the value defined by the company because they simply wanted him to be valuable.

WWE has written the entire thing around him for a while just because they think he is marketable, due to his looks, and that is a BIG investment, as they have built him over any other and, as Uber said, worthier performer. He's the face of the brand now, thus losing him would be more impactful to the company than losing others.

Roman has become a solid performer, he's gotten much better, don't get me wrong, but when he was chosen, I honestly believe it was due to his looks and family ties only, and it'll be very hard to make me think something different.

Hm. I expected something more. I'm sympathetic to trans folk, but this doesn't seem like blatant malice from Aries. I'm picking up what this write-up is putting down, but I think you're right that it doesn't seem fair to blame Aries without reservation.

Aries simply tried to do Big Kev's twitter gimmick, but he picked poorly and also failed to realise that with his "not all men" attitude and obnoxious vegan demeanour, he cultivated a twitter following of exactly the sort of people who'd hurl gender-specific abuse at a person simply for wishing a wrestler got punched in the face by another wrestler in a wrestling match.

I don't think Aries meant anything by it, but you reap what you sow and he's only made things worse going on about SJW's with sand in their vaginas.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
you think that's a dead giveaway?

I recited the CM Punk/Colt Cabana podcast for my drama exam, and when I got to the part where I said "Make Roman Look Strong", Sunny crashed through the door outta fucking nowhere and said "lol that's from that CM Punk podcast! I remember that!"

I remember that, good callback. Funny podcast.

Zach

Aries simply tried to do Big Kev's twitter gimmick, but he picked poorly and also failed to realise that with his "not all men" attitude and obnoxious vegan demeanour, he cultivated a twitter following of exactly the sort of people who'd hurl gender-specific abuse at a person simply for wishing a wrestler got punched in the face by another wrestler in a wrestling match.

I don't think Aries meant anything by it, but you reap what you sow and he's only made things worse going on about SJW's with sand in their vaginas.

Eww. I see, I see.

He was in it for a month then got his ass beat by them for trying to take be too up front.

He got fat and retired.

You're leaving out his brief run in WCW where he (as Big T) took Booker Ts place in Harlem Heat when Booker T & Stevie Ray started feuding, leading to Big T & Booker T feuding over the rights to the letter T.

Edit: He also played Suge Knight in a MC Hammer biopic for some reason.

Top Bottom