• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

DKehoe

Shit, I just realised that today is the first anniversary of Larry Sweeney's death :(

larrysweeney.png

12 Large, brother - still missed, still one of the absolute best guys on the mic I've ever seen. It's criminal he never made it to the big leagues, could've been the next Heenan.

Shit, it's been a year? Like you said its a real tragedy he never got the success he deserved. In another era he would have been huge.

jmdajr

To be fair to Bischoff, he is still the reason WCW was as big as it was. WCW was killed by exec, they fired him, took over, inserted Russo, etc. Etc.

Bischoff was never Vince McMahon, but to blame him for WCW's downfall would be unfair.

eric-bischoff-controversy-creates-cash-book-cover.jpg

For Real, it's a good read. Basically nothing could have saved the company.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The big problem I have with TNA is Garrett Bischoff. I actually agree with Steiner .. the following are his latest tweets. The only monster they have in Abyss and this is what they do. Steiner laying down some "common sense" ..

Oh,yeah bcuz Garrett is 28 yrs has had less than 10 matches has great sideburns cant throw a clothline

And is the future of wrestling Fuck! But the guy they r burying the worst is abyss.fucking why!

They made him take off his mask cut his hair n walk around sayin he is abyss's brother

Which makes everybody look stupid,like we dont know what abyss looks like,what he never took off his mask

Why...abyss has bn there from the begining n is a nice guy...but they just fuck with everybody bcuz they r assholes

Scott Steiner is really a genius.

To be fair to Bischoff, he is still the reason WCW was as big as it was. WCW was killed by exec, they fired him, took over, inserted Russo, etc. Etc.

Bischoff was never Vince McMahon, but to blame him for WCW's downfall would be unfair.

He was part of the reason of the downfall. He got the dumbass idea once WCW was making money in 98 to start throwing every celebrity he could on the show and blowing money at an insane pace. Remember Kiss Demon? Master P? David Arquette? Jay Leno? The list goes on and on.

eric-bischoff-controversy-creates-cash-book-cover.jpg

For Real, it's a good read.

I read it. I just don't believe everything he wrote in it.

He did make some excellent decisions, mostly when he'd just gotten the job. Going off the road temporarily, moving to disney, getting nitro, hiring hogan(whether or not it was him or flair, at the end of the day he had to stand in front of turner and ask), the start of the nwo.

But from every account going other then his, he started booking on the fly with disastarous effect and threw vast amounts of money around with nothing to show for it.

jmdajr

I read it. I just don't believe everything he wrote in it.

He did make some excellent decisions, mostly when he'd just gotten the job. Going off the road temporarily, moving to disney, getting nitro, hiring hogan(whether or not it was him or flair, at the end of the day he had to stand in front of turner and ask), the start of the nwo.

But from every account going other then his, he started booking on the fly with disastarous effect and threw vast amounts of money around with nothing to show for it.

For me it's just nice to have a counter point to this. (Which I also read.)

deathofwcwlowres.jpg

We should all be fair..

For me it's just nice to have a counter point to this. (Which I also read.)

deathofwcwlowres.jpg

We should all be fair..

Yeah, then there's Flair's book, Jericho's book, Heenan's books, etc...after reading everything, I get the feeling that Eric was the biggest cause of wcw's downfall.

jmdajr

Yeah, then there's Flair's book, Jericho's book, Heenan's book, etc...after reading everything, I get the feeling that Eric was the biggest cause of wcw's downfall.

I watched the Flair video on Netflix. Now he really hated him. He said in the video that he lost to Macho Man, Hogan four times each, before they wrestled anyone else in a program. Four times, Each! And then when Flair left, they begged him to come back because no one else wanted to job to Hogan. Hey, Eric said he hated the politics, he admitted it... but everyone who came out on the losing end must be pissed. Understandable.

I watched the Flair video on Netflix. Now he really hated him. He said in the video that he lost to Macho Man, Hogan four times each, before they wrestled anyone else in a program. Four times, Each! And then when Flair left, they begged him to come back because no one else wanted to job to Hogan. Hey, Eric said he hated the politics, he admitted it... but everyone who came out on the losing end must be pissed. Understandable.

True, but then there's Jericho, Hart, Heenan, Ole(yeah, I know ole hates bischoff as much as flair)...hard to find anyone but Hogan who would defend him to the hilt. And probably only because bischoff gave him more money then he could dream of. He had a cut of all merchandise and a percentage of every ppv!

jmdajr

True, but then there's Jericho, Hart, Heenan, Ole(yeah, I know ole hates bischoff as much as flair)...hard to find anyone but Hogan who would defend him to the hilt. And probably only because bischoff gave him more money then he could dream of. He had a cut of all merchandise and a percentage of every ppv!

Despite all the sour grapes they would never have beat Vince without him. It's not like I'm a huge fan of the guy we just have to give credit where it's due, good and bad. Personally I think WCW was doomed because after the merger the company wanted nothing to do with wrestling, but yes... those last few years the product could have been a shit ton better.(understatement)

sajj316

Other issues with WCW ..

- Nash pinning Goldberg to end the streak. A lot of disappointed fans.
- Fingerpoke of Doom
- Dissolution of nWo - > Wolfpac, Black and White/Hollywood, oWn, No limit soldiers, LWO, etc ..
- David Arquette as your champion
- Vince Russo
- Cost of celebrity involvement
- Guaranteed contracts and other perks for big players (Hall, Nash, Hogan)
- Roster blown up

Despite all the sour grapes they would never have beat Vince without him. It's not like I'm a huge fan of the guy we just have to give credit where it's due, good and bad. Personally I think the company was doomed because after the merger the company wanted nothing to do with wrestling, but yes... those last few years the product could have been a shit ton better.(understatement)

Well, yeah, as I said I give him credit for a lot of the things he did early on - the disney stuff, having the confidence to ask ted turner for hogan, and forming the nwo.

But I disagree when you call wrestlers views on him sour grapes, they're legitimate greviences. He treated a lot of wrestlers like trash, threw money away on pointless endevaours and completley lost the plot booking-wise.

As much as AOL-Time Warner was a joke, they wouldn't have shut wcw down if it was well in the black. The long and the short of it is that it wasn't, and it wasn't because of bischoff.

RBH

--Former WWE Diva Maria Kanellis defended independent wrestling after receiving an inflammatory message on Twitter saying she should get a "real" job rather than waste time in Ring of Honor earning "$100" per show.

She wrote, "Were do you think your precious WWE superstars come from? ROH and the Indies making maybe a hundred. Working their asses off!! Hurt, tired, working 2 jobs, driving everywhere. These are my boys now and don't you dare insult them. I'm PROUD of where I am."

jmdajr

Let's be honest here. When's the last time someone not named Cena has won their title back via their rematch clause?

Well Albertro won it back in a 3way after losing to Cena.... And then Punk won it as a real rematch after Del Rio cashed it in. So um.. Not too long ago!

Kaladin

Yeah, Garret Bischoff is garbage, has no talent, and is getting pushed because he is Eric's son. They are using Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, and Hulk Hogan to get the guy over and still noone cares about him.

You know the funny thing about Garret Bishoff? If he would have come in using any other name, he would have probably got over. He's obviously got some spec of talent, but they're shoving him down people's throats too much too soon.

It's too bad NXT ruined debuts. With NXT, you have certain fans (umm smarks) that knew Skip Sheffield before the repackage. You knew Levi as Husky Harris. All it takes is about 25-30 smarks chanting Husky Harris .. clap clap clap clap .. Husky Harris ...

I like that the E does not deny past history with A-Train/Prince Albert.

Yep. That was always a fun aspect of older wrestling. Seeing people transform into completely different characters, that is.

izakq

Other issues with WCW ..

- Nash pinning Goldberg to end the streak. A lot of disappointed fans.
- Fingerpoke of Doom
- Dissolution of nWo - > Wolfpac, Black and White/Hollywood, oWn, No limit soldiers, LWO, etc ..
- David Arquette as your champion
- Vince Russo
- Cost of celebrity involvement
- Guaranteed contracts and other perks for big players (Hall, Nash, Hogan)
- Roster blown up

Add ratings fetishists. To give away a Hogan vs. Goldberg world title match on Nitro instead of building it up on a PPV, just to get a ratings bump was a huge mistake.

jmdajr

Yep. That was always a fun aspect of older wrestling. Seeing people transform into completely different characters, that is.

Some of the most extreme...

Dustin Rhoads into Goldust
One Man Gang into Hakeem
Pappa Shango into The Godfather

what are some of your favorite make overs?

sajj316

One Man Gang into Hakeem

I liked Venice Beach California Sting to Crow Sting .. not so much Joker Sting. Wasn't a complete makeover but enough change.

Cactus Jack to Mankind to Dude Love back to Cactus Jack and then spots of Mankind and Dude Love

Isaac Yankem DDS to Fake Diesel to Kane

Mean Mark to Undertaker (although that's across promotions)

You know the funny thing about Garret Bishoff? If he would have come in using any other name, he would have probably got over. He's obviously got some spec of talent, but they're shoving him down people's throats too much too soon.

No he wouldn't have. He still sucks on the mic(he's wooden and barely shows emotion) and in the ring. He can do a clothesline, a drop kick, and a ddt(he fucks up the ddt every time). Those are the only 3 moves he can do. If he wasn't Bischoff's son he would have never gotten on air. The best thing for him would be to go to OVW or FCW for a year or two and then come back.

Add ratings fetishists. To give away a Hogan vs. Goldberg world title match on Nitro instead of building it up on a PPV, just to get a ratings bump was a huge mistake.

Not to mention Eric Biscoff firing Gordon Solie over the phone. Thankfully Bischoff didn't have full control at that time and Solie got rehired in 15mins.

Low tier tag wrestler is the same as going over main event talent? And all lawler probably did was put in a good word for him, he had no booking power.

Nah, I just wanted to crap on Grand Master Sexay really. always thought it was weird that Ross rehired him as his last ever hire.

One Man Gang into Hakeem

Bradshaw into JBL, never saw that one coming and what a change it was.

Godfather into the Goodfather, what a betrayal! Coming to think of it the RTC is full of wrestlers who went through quite a few shifts in their careers.
Bull Buchanan into B2
Val Venis into Sean Morely (transitioning to his real name, it's like the inverse of this question)
Funny how the RTC wouldn't work in current WWE, they'd instead be a villainous group daring to bring back the offensive attitude to the company, what rapscallions!

Chavo Guerrero into Kerwin White is one of the most extreme, what an odd direction to take.

One Man Gang into Hakeem

Brutus Clay to Funkasaurus is pretty bizarre, considering that sort of thing never happens much anymore for a semi active guy on the roster. Not to that extreme anyway. Goldust is like the number one most outrageous though. He pulled that role off masterfully...

Top Bottom