• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

Shelton as ROH World Heavyweight Champion?

cornetteface2.gif

Fuck this company.

Benjamin was good in his match at Wrestle Kingdom. I don't watch ROH so I don't know if he's any good there.

Benjamin was a guy I was really excited for when he went singles, but he floundered as a midcarder for too long.

Anth0ny

Just watched up to March (+WM 2000) on my rewatch.

WCW
Its horrible. Its a real effort to even have it on in the background while I do uni work and pay attention. Jeff Jarrett is all over my TV. Why? WHY?! Oh he's 'The Chosen One'. No wonder people chose to switch over and watch something else. He's boring. OK, its funny listening to him calling people Slapnuts, but he's just bland.

I only watched this last week and I'm not sure I can even remember who has the belt without looking on the internet. Oh. Sid has the belt. I think. I'm going to check. Oh right, yeah. Sid has the belt after Hulk Hogan helped him defeat Jeff Jarrett.

Lex Luger is back as the total package. The gimmick he had in the late 80s/early 90s. He has an old man's head on top of a totally ripped body. It looks odd. Its OK though as he's a heel so we can boo him for looking totally stupid. He's been breaking people's arms, which has led to a lot of people in a cast. Naturally Sting has had nothing to do so he's came back (AGAIN) to feud with Luger in a Lumberjack Cast match. Lumberjacks are those people who have had their arms broken by Luger. Only Luger has his friends around there too to make it fair. To make it completely fair they also have a cast on their arms. Only Luger never broke their arms. So its not really fair. But he's a heel with an old man's head on a stupid looking body. So its OK, we can boo that.

You know what the big story line is?

VINCE RUSSO AND ERIC BISCHOFF MIGHT BE RETURNING TO WCW TO TEAM TOGETHER! Not as a tag team. But as a CREATIVE TEAM!!!!

Meanwhile in the ring. Nothing is happen.

So I'm going to share this clip of Stacy Keibler instead.

Miss Hancock (Stacy Keibler) WCW Uncensored 2000 March 19, 2000

WWF
Its actually been really entertaining. I'd go as far as to say this period has been better to watch then the much fabled 'attitude era'. HHH has become a powerhouse, and actually deserves to be on the screen all the time. His matches are decent too as he can still move about the ring, as he hasn't ripped his quads 4 times and came back like he's been pumping iron every waking minute of the day.

He's been feuding with... well... everyone.

Big Show
Rock
Shane McMahon
Vince McMahon
Mick Foley

Its been fun to watch. McMahon-Hemlsey era.

Shane has aligned himself with Big Show.
Stephanie is with HHH.
Vince McMahon has aligned himself with The Rock.
... and Linda McMahon aligned herself with Mick Foley.

Steph slapped Linda.
Vince and Shane had a fight.
Everyone is fighting.

This match has been class, the crowd were so into it and it was the last Raw before WM. How hot is that crowd?!

WWF RAW 3/27/2000 The Rock & Vince vs Big Show & Shane.(Special Referee: HHH and Mick Foley) Part 1

Al Snow has been a personal mission to get Steve Blackman over, which has led to a whole host of stupid gimmick ideas.

The Hardcore title has went 24/7.

Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero & Chyna have been feuding for the IC and Title. Kurt Angle held both the European and IC title at one point.

Rikishi and Too Cool continue to get some of the loudest reactions in the WWF. All he does his shake his big fat ass and dance. Brutas Clay needs to take notes.

Wrestlemania 2000 was amazing.

WWE Wrestlemania 16 (2000) Highlights.mp4

Hardyz/Edge & Christian/Dudley Boyz continue to light the tag scene up.

ECW
Its fun, but I feel like I'm missing too much just watching the PPVs. They got a TV deal in 1999 so a lot of progression was made on that. However, in terms of wrestling they're offering the best there is to watch.

I'm currently in April 2000. Haven't been watching WCW, but obviously I haven't been missing much. It really went to shit in 2000, from what I understand.

March 2000 in WWF was awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of Wrestlemania 2000, though. Main event should have been HHH vs. Rock. Show added nothing and I liked Foley's exit at No Way Out a month earlier a lot better. It seemed like they were hellbent on the whole "McMahon in every corner" thing, though. The ladder match stole the show. There was a crazy spot every second it seemed.

I thought Hunter was awesome at this point. Top heel in the company, and doing a damn good job at it. He hogged the fuck out of TV time (I'm watching Raw and Smackdown, this mother fucker is EVERYWHERE), but this was at least back in his prime... no excuse to be doing it in 2012...

Mid card was getting stacked too. Angle, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Rikishi, X-Pac, Road Dogg... not to mention the tag team division was forming into the greatest of all time. With Billy Gunn out, the New Age Outlaws passed the torch to the Dudleys, Hardys, Edge and Christian, Acolytes and 2 Cool. This is a point in wrestling history where you can watch an entire episode of Raw or Smackdown and not get bored.

I look forward to every episode I watch. Why can't they just refer to this today and do it again? I'm not even talking about the "attitude" thing. Every character is so damn likable (or hate-able). Storylines are interesting. They have a pay off. Guys knew how to cut a promo. So good!

vferrel said:
Benjamin was good in his match at Wrestle Kingdom. I don't watch ROH so I don't know if he's any good there.

Benjamin was a guy I was really excited for when he went singles, but he floundered as a midcarder for too long.

Well, to be fair, Shelton hasn't really been proven in a singles ROH main event-calibre match, as of yet - he's had a few singles here and there, but nothing memorable. I think the main problem with both Charlie & Shelton, is that compared to the other ROH tag teams and the sorts of tag teams on the indies today, their in-ring work together is dull, and lacks impact. The fans turned on them for no other reason than they were bored with what they were seeing, so ROH had to scramble and switch them heel.

I guess I'd need to see Shelton wrestle a guy like Roderick Strong before I dismissed him as a future champion - but, that doesn't seem likely to happen as ROH are setting up for yet more Briscoes vs WGTT matches nobody asked for or wanted. I wish ROH would split Haas & Benjamin up - do it soon, and build up to a big singles match at Final Battle.

That's too bad about Colt, and I don't really understand the mentality. I like Santino, but Colt is everything Santino is and more.

Also, ROH is incredibly bland without Colt and Generico.

thanks for the observer stuff dream, gonna be alot of salty tears in WWE headquarters over Brock, especially when he bails after they ask him to do something he doesn't like.

Kaladin

Shelton is just the name Colt mentioned alongside Davey. I would imagine he was going for more that particular "look" and type of wrestler rather than saying Shelton specifically. Look at the guys that have been champ since Cornette came in.....Eddie, Davey and Roderick Strong. All three guys basically have the same look, same wrestling style. That's what Cornette likes and looks for in a champion.

Bootaaay, how's NOAH doing? I read that New Japan and All Japan are having a joint show, and rumors were it was supposed to be All Together 3, but they dropped NOAH because of the whole yakuza thing. Any chance NOAH closes up shop soon?

RBH

--Based on Twitter messages, the Bella Twins, Alicia Fox, Kaitlyn and Tamina Snuka did not go on the European tour. There may be some people who didn't go immediately that will be flying out for TV on Monday and Tuesday in London, but went home first.

--Mick Foley praises WWE Divas like Kelly Kelly and the Bella Twins at http://mickfoley.typepad.com/mickfoley/2012/04/diva-believer.html

--WWE announced its return to Washington, DC at the Verizon Center will be a house show on 12/29. Tickets are on sale right now at Ticketmaster using WWEDC as the password.

--Rima Fakih, who was the former Miss USA on Tough Enough, pleaded no contest earlier today to drunken driving charges. As part of the plea bargain, charges of having open intoxicants in her vehicle and careless driving were dropped. She will be sentenced on 5/9 and is unlikely to get any time in prison. Her lawyer expects her to get minimal probation in Los Angeles, where she now lives. Fakih was arrested on 12/3 in Highland Park, MI. She was pulled over for speeding and erratic driving. Officers found a half empty bottle of champagne in her Jaguar behind the seat. She took a breathalyzer test and blew a 0.19 and 0.20, both more than double the legally allowed 0.08 limit. (thanks to Paul Nucci)

--Today is the 15th anniversary of Jacques Rougeau beating Hulk Hogan clean at the Molson Centre (now Bell Centre) in Montreal. The show drew the biggest non-WWE pro wrestling crowd in the city since 1986. Despite urban legends, the match did not turn into a shoot. Hogan willingly did the job since Jacques was the promoter and it was a house show, even though Hogan rarely agreed to do jobs at that time.

--Scott Hall's lawyer, Loredana Nesci, told tmz.com today that Hall never got violent with his girlfriend and also claimed that his girlfriend, Lisa Howell, corroborated that story. However, that contradicts what Howell said in Hall's arrest report, although she now does not want to press charges..

--A.J. Kirsch of Tough Enough did some videos on youtube about being on the show, ripping on Bill DeMott, Trish Stratus and Booker T. When he mentioned he was see DeMott and Steve Austin at Cauliflower Alley, Austin wrote, "Damn right you will. I may turn your little lights out at the event."

--CZW has its first iPPV show live on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. on HybridENT.tv and USTREAM.

--Evolve on Friday night in Toronto at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Toronto Airport as part of the WrestleReunion convention has:

Fit Finlay vs. Sami Callihan
Low Ki vs. El Generico
Johnny Gargano vs. AR Fox
Chuck Taylor vs. Samuray del Sol
The Scene vs. Super Smash Brothers
Bobby Fish vs. Alex Reynolds
John Silver vs. Cheech
Josh Alexander vs. ?

There will also be prelims at 7 p.m. presented by Alpha-1 with Michael Elgin appearing.
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-...-ratings-lashley-vs-colossus-foley-vs-ambrose

djsandman said:
Look at the guys that have been champ since Cornette came in.....Eddie, Davey and Roderick Strong. All three guys basically have the same look, same wrestling style. That's what Cornette likes and looks for in a champion.

Maybe so, but it's not like he's had much choice during the past two years or so - who is there, other than Davey, Roderick & Edwards? Steen now, as he's out of the Generico/Corino feud that's kept him occupied for so long, and they've obviously been building Elgin to the main event for near-enough a year now. But I think that, given the state of the roster over that time period, Pearce or Gabe would have booked Davey, Eddie or Strong as champions too, had they still been booking ROH.

vferrel said:
Bootaaay, how's NOAH doing? I read that New Japan and All Japan are having a joint show, and rumors were it was supposed to be All Together 3, but they dropped NOAH because of the whole yakuza thing. Any chance NOAH closes up shop soon?

No one really knows what sort of state their finances are in and how the yakuza stuff will affect them in the long-run, in terms of sponsors and general willingness to do business with the promotion, etc. Attendance numbers are definitely struggling though, and I think that, unless NOAH gets some new money men, there's a good chance they could fold in the future, although when is as good as anyone's guess.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why do you care about Kaitlyn? She's just some bodybuilder that gets no time to build any sort of character. She's wasting her time in WWE.
You're right, but shutup. :(

She gets air time on NXT.

It's not her fault they broke up AJ/Kaitlyn BFF4Ever club.

Women serve no purpose on a PG WWE tv show. If you want the good Kaitlyn pics go search her real name on google. That's better than anything WWE will give you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Women serve no purpose on a PG WWE tv show. If you want the good Kaitlyn pics go search her real name on google. That's better than anything WWE will give you.
Oh I know, oh I know.

I won't say attitude era should come back, but PG should not be.

Kyoufu

Honestly, I think I need a break from WWE. The current storylines are turd in my opinion, so I think it's just better for me to avoid this thread and the product in general for some time.

If they book Card Mid Punk well after Extreme Rules then feel free to let me know via PM. Until then, I hope you guys enjoy RAW/Smackdown and Extreme Rules and the WWE itself.

Colt is overrated. Is he better then some WWE guys? Sure...But is he some unbelievable talent that has to be hired? No...Hiring guys on looks alone is retarded, but you can't say it doesn't work when you have Cena and guys like Batista carry the company for years. Being a good wrestler is half the battle for WWE.

What to listen to something funny. Here is a podcast of John Pollock and Wai Ting review the April 10th 2000 edition of WCW 'Monday Nitro' with the return of Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff.

Its hilarious and its when saying to much insider stuff goes horribly wrong:

http://fightnetwork.com/news/31066:review-a-wai-april-10-2000-monday-nitro/

i was listening to it and had to check out that episode of nitro what a disaster. i lost it when hogan said he was going to eat bischoff ass on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_V8rMWUIks&feature=relmfu#t=5m13s

MG310

I'm watching this because there was alot of buzz over this Kidd vs McGillicutty match. Are they trying to make fun of Maxine for being fat with that eat a donut comment? Because she has a fine ass body. One of the best in WWE.

I thought he was calling her too thin with that comment.

Really like that submission Kidd used. Certainly better than just using the sharpshooter.

Speaking of Bischoff, he posted this today

"Tons of promotion on Fox and FX, a budget 3x bigger than Impact and 500,000 less viewers? Impact has a larger audience than ever, and is going to have a great season with new elements following Lockdown. Can't wait!"

He was taking a dig at Ultimate Fighter with the comment, but will be interesting to see what he means by "new elements" after Lockdown.

Top Bottom