• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

pFsYu.gif

and then later in the day...

Ring of Honor - "Unity"

(sorry, no fancy pictures for this)

ROH World Tag Team Title Match
Jay & Mark Briscoe defend vs Jigsaw & Hallowicked

Tag Team Challenge
Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin) vs ROH World Champion Davey Richards & Kyle O'Reilly

First Time Ever Tag Team Match
The All Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus) vs The House of Truth (Roderick Strong & "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin) w/ Truth Martini

Grudge Tag Team Match
"Wrestling's Worst Nightmare" Kevin Steen & "Zombie Princess" Jimmy Jacobs vs El Generico & BJ Whitmer

ROH vs Chikara Trios Match - Lucha Libre Rules
Jay Lethal, Adam Cole & TJ Perkins vs The Colony (Fire Ant, Soldier Ant & Green Ant)

Tag Team Attraction
The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson vs The Bravados (Harlem & Lancelot Bravado)

Just quick scanning the card and I read that as "Wrestling's Worst Nightmare BJ Whitmer". I thought, "Yeah sounds about right."

Whitmer may have zero personality, he may have once looked like 'Hillbilly Jesus', and he sure did love throwing exploders for no good reason, but I've really enjoyed a lot of his stuff since he came back to wrestling. I think tonight he might surprise a lot of ROH fans who haven't seen him since he left in 2008.

Also, this;

Whitmer.gif

Whitmer may have zero personality, he may have once looked like 'Hillbilly Jesus', and he sure did love throwing exploders for no good reason, but I've really enjoyed a lot of his stuff since he came back to wrestling. I think tonight he might surprise a lot of ROH fans who haven't seen him since he left in 2008.

Also, this;

Whitmer.gif

Yeah, I haven't seen Whitmer since 2007-2008ish. I always wanted to like him, he seems like a really nice guy, but man a lot of his matches were, well "meh" is almost too kind. I'm all for him living up to his potential though. I have always thought that he could be really amazing if he would just get out of his own way.

And WTH at that gif!?!? Details please?

And WTH at that gif!?!? Details please?

That was from the Whitmer/Jacobs feud in 2006 - 'Dragon Gate Challenge - 03/30/06', if I remember correctly. Whitmer went for the top-rope powerbomb but slipped backwards, slamming Jimmy's head on the ring-ropes (thankfully missing the ring frame). Both guys were OK and they finished the match, with Whitmer coming out on top. Then at 'In Your Face - 06/17/06' they did the same spot, but in reverse - Whitmer took Jacobs to the top and then powerbombed him from the top turnbuckle OUT INTO THE CROWD. They both sold the fall and the match was declared a no-contest.

TheBrain76 said:
I always wanted to like him, he seems like a really nice guy, but man a lot of his matches were, well "meh" is almost too kind.

Yeah, I get that - the end of his ROH run was pretty lacklustre, especially when he was in the 'Hangmen 3' with Adam Pearce & Brent Albright. My favourite Whitmer stuff is either from the Jacobs feud I mentioned above, or teaming with Danny Maff back in 2004. He also had an amazing title challenge against Samoa Joe in 2003, iirc, but Joe was having amazing matches with near enough everyone back then.

Aiii

So not worth it
Botchamania is great and very respectful of the wrestlers imo. Besides, I love the Taz and Booker commentary segments.

I just hate watching people fuck up live performances. Songs, plays, pro wrestling, whatever. It's just too awkward

You know, I actually have the same reaction to stuff like that in general. Watching someone foul up something really important makes my skin crawl. And I won't lie, Maffew does throw in painful looking stuff from time to time, even if it is all clean (i.e. no gore or permanent injury-inducing botches).

But the way it's all presented - the VG tracks during the botches, the joke bumpers between the botches, the commentary from the wrestlers talking about their botches that's sometimes placed on top of the actual footage, etc. - kind of takes the edge off of it, for me at least. In a sense, it's not much worse than what Wrassle-GAF does. It also helps that I only watch it with a couple friends of mine, so we can go 'ooooooh' and stuff together, but that's just me.

But again, I know how that stuff can come across, which is why I'm not gonna be like "just watch one episode man, you'll love it." I just figured I'd share, from one semi-squeamish guy to another.

You got NBA in my Wrasslin.

It's relevant to this thread for the following reasons:

-Lebron sold that foul much like a sports entertainer would sell a wrestling move to make it appear painful

-That game is being played in Miami, where Wrestlemania was held. Oh oh, sometimes I get a good feeling, yeah

-There ain't shit going on now in the world of Professional wrestling so take a hint from your tag, jabrone

The only thing more fake than wrestling is the NBA. It's also less entertaining!

Pfft yeah right. The consistent underdog Spurs overcoming the odds, the super heel Heat getting help from Earl Hebner, Metta World Peace put the mask back on and gimmick switched to Ron Artest, young tag team Thunder making a mad dash for the titles, old man Celtics pulling a Hogan and sticking around past their time, etc. etc.

NBA Creative™ doing work.

Kissing isn't PG?

Also, she's AJ's waifu.
I ship her with every chick.

Of course it isn't, that Bryan/Sheamus match at WM? when that kiss started Vince had had enough, they called an audible to have Sheamus kick Bryan's head off in record time for endangering the product rating.

This fake reason is probably still better than their assumed actual reason.

Top Bottom