• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, couldn't find the thread. And now subscriptions will have to be renewed every month. ARGH.

Cena will face Punk for the title, Y2J will distract Punk so Cena can AA him and win the title in 17 SECONDS!!!!~~~

Don't ever say something like that again! What you described made me physically ill in my stomach. Id like Cena to get buried by Brock Lesner tonight, and take Cena off of TV for 6 months to for ever.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i was looking for pages to find this thread. i figured there was a blowup that took the thread down.

UberTag

So I'm rewatching the Richards vs. Elgin "match of the year" candidate again from Saturday afternoon's Showdown in the Sun... and one aspect I haven't really mentioned yet is how excellent the play-by-play and color commentary was. Kevin Kelly and Nigel McGuinness did an amazing job selling that match.

Every move was called. They took the viewer through Davey's entire mindset of trying to physically dissect Elgin while Elgin simply found inventive ways to counter his offense. They were engaged like a member of the audience in terms of trying to guess how Davey would change up his offense to bring the big man down and that naturally built into a crescendo of excitement as it looked like Elgin was truly unbreakable and won the crowd over.

They weren't calling moves by the wrong names. They weren't talking over the match to put themselves over. They weren't calling kickouts before they happened. They weren't reacting like a 10-year-old on crack shouting "this is it, he's winning" at a one-count for a sluggish pin attempt following a maneuver everyone always kicks out of. They weren't laughing at their own unfunny jokes. They were putting both men over. They were acknowledging the actual chants in the crowd instead of lying about them, ignoring them or calling them controversial. They weren't sitting in utter silence as key facets of the match played out in front of them.

In other words, they weren't Jerry "The King" Lawler and Michael "The Puppet Shill" Cole.

sajj316

So I'm rewatching the Richards vs. Elgin "match of the year" candidate again from Saturday afternoon's Showdown in the Sun... and one aspect I haven't really mentioned yet is how excellent the play-by-play and color commentary was. Kevin Kelly and Nigel McGuinness did an amazing job selling that match.

Every move was called. They took the viewer through Davey's entire mindset of trying to physically dissect Elgin while Elgin simply found inventive ways to counter his offense. They were engaged like a member of the audience in terms of trying to guess how Davey would change up his offense to bring the big man down and that naturally built into a crescendo of excitement as it looked like Elgin was truly unbreakable and won the crowd over.

They weren't calling moves by the wrong names. They weren't talking over the match to put themselves over. They weren't calling kickouts before they happened. They weren't reacting like a 10-year-old on crack shouting "this is it, he's winning" at a one-count for a sluggish pin attempt following a maneuver everyone always kicks out of. They weren't laughing at their own unfunny jokes. They were putting both men over. They were acknowledging the actual chants in the crowd instead of lying about them, ignoring them or calling them controversial. They weren't sitting in utter silence as key facets of the match played out in front of them.

In other words, they weren't Jerry "The King" Lawler and Michael "The Puppet Shill" Cole.

This sums it up .. Lawler said this (below) during the Team Teddy vs. Team Johnny match. This is an obvious knock on Bruce Prichard (TNA) who recently had heart attacks.

"That suit is so ugly, it would give Brother Love a heart attack," Lawler said. This screams Vince ..

I just want to say something about the actual wrestling from last night. The Punk Y2J match in my eyes was not very good. I was expecting them to steal the show, and it was just so ho hum. They don't mesh well.

I didn't see best in the world vs. best in the world last night.

Overall wrestling in general has been weird. When the Rock and Cena ran through their first chain grapple, my friend who doesn't watch anymore said "wow old school wrestling" I laughed, but it was kind of true.

What the hell happened to chain move spots?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm just gonna blame you.

csZ3e.png

I might have reminded somebody that the April wrestling thread was in the wrong forum.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why do you care so much that we are in the community forum? Love how you made the descision for the rest of us.

Dude the March thread was already there. I didn't make a decision or anything. The hell man, you think there are actually non-mods making decisions on GAF or something? That'd be ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, in the aftermath of Mania, let's talk about the positives of the show.

JR for HHH/Taker!

Otunga looking JACKED the fuck UP with his bib.

NoRéN

So, in the aftermath of Mania, let's talk about the positives of the show.

JR for HHH/Taker!

Otunga looking JACKED the fuck UP with his bib.

JR made that match so much better. He comes on and shows everyone else how commentary is done. It was great.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dude the March thread was already there. I didn't make a decision or anything. The hell man, you think there are actually non-mods making decisions on GAF or something? That'd be ridiculous.
Not mods but there are those who influence, but I'm not gonna get into it.

BFIB

I posted this in the WM thread, but I figured I'd repost here. Just my thoughts on WM and WWE in general:

Upon further reflection, its clear that WWE needs to make some drastic changes.

Its been mentioned numerous times, but obviously, the squash of a main title holder shouldn't happen, ever. Nor should they be the hot opener for a PPV. Its why you have a mid-card.

The entire Diva's roster is just flat out shitty. The few that actually have in-ring talent are wasted by other female talent that are clearly there for the T & A portion. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing that as much as the next guy, but I also want to see ladies that can actually compete and carry a match.

Quick buildups (Kane and Orton) that served no other purpose than to be on the card. If they are so adamant about pushing The Miz again, why not build up his feud with R-Truth over time and give them a match at WM with Miz going over? If you want to build top talent, you have to give them compelling storylines to keep people interested in them.

Which leads me to my last point: long-term booking. Ever since the brand split, and to an extent, Stephanie taking over creative, booking on the fly has really cost a lot of fans. You need to think long term and stick with it. I was reading reports that even up to yesterday afternoon, finishes and match length were still being discussed. You can't have that on the main PPV of the year. These matches, lengths, finishes, etc. should have been set up for a while, with the intent to plan ahead afterwards.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to say something about the actual wrestling from last night. The Punk Y2J match in my eyes was not very good. I was expecting them to steal the show, and it was just so ho hum. They don't mesh well.

I didn't see best in the world vs. best in the world last night.

Punk and Jericho mesh just fine. The second half of their match showed that. The problem was whoever came up with the dumb as hell idea that the match needed that DQ stipulation and booked it so that they had to play to that stipulation. That's what was ruining that match.

Somewhere about halfway through it seemed like they just said "fuck it" and completely ignored that DQ stipulation storyline for the rest of the match, and all of a sudden they were putting on a hell of a wrestling clinic.

Whoever was the agent on that match deserves some serious shit for fucking up something that should have been a no-brainer.

UberTag

All the blame goes to creative and Vince for shafting the value of not only the belt but also their latest over heel.
Make that their only over heel. And he loses in 18 seconds.

Now there are no over heels. At all. They're ALL LOSERS. Or Kane. And Kane's lost to everyone. So it doesn't matter.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, does anyone else sorta kinda irrationally dislike Sheamus now?
I feel kind of bad for Sheamus, honestly. I mean, yeah, he's WHC and all, so you can't feel too bad for him, but this is twice in two years now that Sheamus was supposed to have a championship match at Wrestlemania, and between those two years he has logged a combined 18 seconds of match time. 18 seconds in two years on "the biggest stage of all."

This is one of their top babyfaces, HHH's workout buddy, the big Irishman that Vince can live vicariously through, one of their top stars for the next decade.

And he gets 18 seconds in two years.

As upset as we've gotten for how Bryan has been treated here, Sheamus has gotten it almost (but not quite) as badly.

somedevil

All the blame goes to creative and Vince for shafting the value of not only the belt but also their latest over heel.

Its not like this loss kills him being over though if they have a real match next pay per view its in Chicago. So expect greater booing of Sheamus and alot of Yes chants and Daniel Bryan chants.

Brock was a good big man with some incredible agility. Remember when he did a 450? Of course he is older now and probably doesn't have the same mobility. If he comes back it should only be for a few dates. Maybe set up the match for next Mania tonight and then disappear until February. After the finish last night Cena has to get his win back from Rock, so I'm wondering if they will hold that until next Mania or put it on Summerslam. I don't think Cena/Rock would draw again.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Punk and Jericho mesh just fine. The second half of their match showed that. The problem was whoever came up with the dumb as hell idea that the match needed that DQ stipulation and booked it so that they had to play to that stipulation. That's what was ruining that match.

Somewhere about halfway through it seemed like they just said "fuck it" and completely ignored that DQ stipulation storyline for the rest of the match, and all of a sudden they were putting on a hell of a wrestling clinic.

Whoever was the agent on that match deserves some serious shit for fucking up something that should have been a no-brainer.

The only way the whole "No DQ" thing could have worked would have been a ref bump and just let Punk and Jericho beat the shit out of each other for 10-15 minutes. Must have been another Vince rewrite.

I feel kind of bad for Sheamus, honestly. I mean, yeah, he's WHC and all, so you can't feel too bad for him, but this is twice in two years now that Sheamus was supposed to have a championship match at Wrestlemania, and between those two years he has logged a combined 18 seconds of match time. 18 seconds in two years on "the biggest stage of all."

This is one of their top babyfaces, HHH's workout buddy, the big Irishman that Vince can live vicariously through, one of their top stars for the next decade.

And he gets 18 seconds in two years.

As upset as we've gotten for how Bryan has been treated here, Sheamus has gotten it almost (but not quite) as badly.

Agree with this also. If Bryan and Sheamus had actually, you know wrestled, they could have easily been MOTN contenders and it would have made both of them look good.

Only thing I can think of is Vince found out Bryan is fucking one of the Bellas and buried him because of that since the Bellas were his fuck toys to take on trips with him away from Linda.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Its not like this loss kills him being over though if they have a real match next pay per view its in Chicago. So expect greater booing of Sheamus and alot of Yes chants and Daniel Bryan chants.
If they bother to continue a Sheamus/Bryan feud.

If they give him a rematch.

If they even cared about the belt.

On a PPV that will have little to no build up, that will be bought less and watched less than Wrestlemania, on a product that's degrading because of a company that doesn't care.

But it's okay, no one should be upset that they had the gall to waste time with pointless backstage segments coupled with advertising another show, commercials and Brodus Clay telling everyone to call their moms. Nevermind Kelly and Skidmarks wrestling Eve and Beth and Kane facing Orton which no one cared about, or a huge ass tag match ensemble that wasn't even elimination based. And wait what's that, they had a tag match that didn't feature the Tag Champs? Oh that's right those guys had a dark match which 36,000 people you know the "millions watching" got to see on youtube.

Fucking thing sucks. Anyone who says it was fine is to accepting of the product in its current state.

Only thing I can think of is Vince found out Bryan is fucking one of the Bellas and buried him because of that since the Bellas were his fuck toys to take on trips with him away from Linda.
It was just Vince thinking "Here's this super cocky heel, people would LOVE to see him squashed in record time!" In the grand schemes of things, it doesn't even make the top ten divorced from reality moments for the company.

Apparently WWE is planning on giving Sheamus a long title run. The same frustrating things about WWE have been happening for 7 or 8 years now so it's pretty obvious they won't learn. Vince McMahon is to afraid to make any waves or change anything with no competition, despite the fact ratings decline year over year with no turn around in sight. It's only going to get worse and worse. I wouldn't be surprised if ratings come in for tonight's Raw and they end up with a 3.2 or 3.3 at best. They've banned most power wrestling moves, no blood, no chairshots, no blood, shitty storylines, infuriating booking. Why am I still watching this shit?

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Apparently WWE is planning on giving Sheamus a long title run. The same frustrating things about WWE have been happening for 7 or 8 years now so it's pretty obvious they won't learn. Vince McMahon is to afraid to make any waves or change anything with no competition, despite the fact ratings decline year over year with no turn around in sight. It's only going to get worse and worse. I wouldn't be surprised if ratings come in for tonight's Raw and they end up with a 3.2 or 3.3 at best. They've banned most power wrestling moves, no blood, no chairshots, no blood, shitty storylines, infuriating booking. Why am I still watching this shit?

There's always an alternative.

juXK5SKqdxnsB.png

UberTag

Why am I still watching this shit?
That's the million dollar question right there now, isn't it?
The definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same mistakes while expecting different results.
Just because Vince is long past sane doesn't mean you have to forsake sanity as well by tuning in.

Skipping the shows, reading WrassleGAF and then seeking out the rare great match or promo that winds up earning raves before Vince takes a dump on it is much more rewarding.

TheNatural

My Member!
No offense guys, it's just funny to read these rants after every PPV, as if things like wins and losses actually matter.

Honestly does the World Title even matter at this point, about 30 different people have had it over the years and none of them seem to matter worth a shit. It switches hands, no one cares. No one watches Smackdown, the show gets sub 2 ratings nowadays. No one really gives a shit, it honestly shouldn't even be a belt at this point.

Not saying I don't like Danielson as a wrestler, but what would it have really mattered if he won last night? Nothing changes. The same empty feuds based on nothing, the same empty payoffs. For wins and losses and belts to matter, the feuds themselves and wrestler have to in the first place, and that hasn't happened for a long, long time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Honestly does the World Title even matter at this point, about 30 different people have had it over the years and none of them seem to matter worth a shit. It switches hands, no one cares. No one watches Smackdown, the show gets sub 2 ratings nowadays. No one really gives a shit, it honestly shouldn't even be a belt at this point.

Not saying I don't like Danielson as a wrestler, but what would it have really mattered if he won last night? Nothing changes. The same empty feuds based on nothing, the same empty payoffs. For wins and losses and belts to matter, the feuds themselves and wrestler have to in the first place, and that hasn't happened for a long, long time.
Anyone who says it was fine is to accepting of the product in its current state.

Top Bottom