• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| D.Brine collects his P45

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I dunno. The editing doesn't seem too bad, and I'm not entirely certain what you guys wanted from this whole Bryan YES chant thing.

I want him to be a heel. If he's going to transition to being a tweener a la Stone Cold, than do it right. Lord knows they really haven't done it all that well with Punk. So, if you're going to do it right, then acknowledging the chants, but saying he hates them is absolutely the right move to do. The hardcore chanting for him either love him:

A. Despite his heelish behavior
- In other words, they largely ignore the character and are chanting for a great performer. They'll keep chanting.
B. Because they enjoy his heelish behavior
- They'll keep chanting to encourage the character
C. Both A & B
- They'll keep chanting

Then, you get the bonus that people who don't like Bryan might be encouraged to chant for him since he says he hates it (see: Angle's You Suck chant). In fact, what I this is more likely, is that people who don't like Bryan will chant "NO NO NO", which already happened at this week's Raw. It may not have come across on TV, but I could hear a smattering of NO NO NO chants in the midst of all the YES going on when I was there.

If the NO chants do happen, that's fine too. Remember what business this is. You want people to react, one way or another. It's why Cena is still top of the card.

As for the AJ thing, I'm of two minds. I laughed and cheered when he told her to shut up after the dark match, but at the same time, if they're going to push him toward being a tweener (which I think is the optimal path here), I think dropping the misogyny angle sooner rather than later would be best.

TL;DR - I don't think it's time to panic yet. I also don't think it's time to celebrate yet. Things can still go either way, and we still have the torrid history of WWE fucking things up to justifiably worry about.

Who all is going to CHIKARA/ROH Synergy on the 28th in Chicago? Trying to get a rough head count to plan a meet up. Extreme Rules is the next night anyone planning on staying in town and going? I'm thinking of turning this into another wrassling weekend. Hope anyone from mania weekend can make it up.

How much are Extreme Rules tickets? Don't know if I can stay for Sunday yet but I should be there for the Chikara/ROH show.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
1Vmkh.gif

AJH2x.jpg

Why would the WWE try to bury something that is so hot right now instead of play it up??

This boggles my mind...............I don't know why they are trying to neuter DB and why they did what they did at WM. DB and AJ are so over its nuts. Why not roll with it. WTF because its not on your terms Vince?

What a dick of a guy.

I dunno. The editing doesn't seem too bad, and I'm not entirely certain what you guys wanted from this whole Bryan YES chant thing.

I want him to be a heel. If he's going to transition to being a tweener a la Stone Cold, than do it right. Lord knows they really haven't done it all that well with Punk. So, if you're going to do it right, then acknowledging the chants, but saying he hates them is absolutely the right move to do. The hardcore chanting for him either love him:

A. Despite his heelish behavior
- In other words, they largely ignore the character and are chanting for a great performer. They'll keep chanting.
B. Because they enjoy his heelish behavior
- They'll keep chanting to encourage the character
C. Both A & B
- They'll keep chanting

Then, you get the bonus that people who don't like Bryan might be encouraged to chant for him since he says he hates it (see: Angle's You Suck chant). In fact, what I this is more likely, is that people who don't like Bryan will chant "NO NO NO", which already happened at this week's Raw. It may not have come across on TV, but I could hear a smattering of NO NO NO chants in the midst of all the YES going on when I was there.

If the NO chants do happen, that's fine too. Remember what business this is. You want people to react, one way or another. It's why Cena is still top of the card.

As for the AJ thing, I'm of two minds. I laughed and cheered when he told her to shut up after the dark match, but at the same time, if they're going to push him toward being a tweener (which I think is the optimal path here), I think dropping the misogyny angle sooner rather than later would be best.

TL;DR - I don't think it's time to panic yet. I also don't think it's time to celebrate yet. Things can still go either way, and we still have the torrid history of WWE fucking things up to justifiably worry about.

all of the above sums up nicely how i feel. Bryan got this over *with his current character*. you don't make him a baby face over night, because people are responding well to the heel.

it's not an easy thing to handle, but i remember Kurt Angle being in a similar place early on. i don't see any reason that Bryan can't sit in that happy place that Edge spent so much time in where you knew he was getting cheered at PPVs, no matter what heelish stuff he'd been up to, and no matter how booed he'd been on RAW or Smackdown.

i totally understand what happened with Punk. it's unfortunate i think, but that first mic drop was all about the WWE not recognising how good he was. it's no surprise to me that since they've pushed him to the top of the company that he's happy to play along with them. why not? they've finally given him the push he felt he deserved all along.

Punks anger was at how long they had him 'paying his dues' in the WWE, and it was justified. but as soon as they went 'oh okay, this guy is over' i don't know how they could have kept that up.

but there's no reason why Bryan can't continue playing the character he has been. part of it has always been that he's a heel who plays up to the crowd. i'd have him talking about how people that don't cheer 'yes, yes, yes' don't get it, and have him slating crowds that don't cheer him along the lines of 'i should have known you morons here in BLEEPBLOOP weren't as discerning as the much more intelligent fans in miami.'

Why would the WWE try to bury something that is so hot right now instead of play it up??

This boggles my mind...............I don't know why they are trying to neuter DB and why they did what they did at WM. DB and AJ are so over its nuts. Why not roll with it. WTF because its not on your terms Vince?

What a dick of a guy.

how do you play him up without ruining what we all liked about the character in the first place?

call it the CM Punk problem.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Good on you, I ordered mine as well, even though the shipping costs nearly as much as the shirt itself (17 dollars). *shrug*

Yeah, it's about £20 shipped to the UK. About what a branded t-shirt costs over here, to be honest. I'll order mine next week.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah 32 euro's for me. It's not that bad thanks to the low Dollar. The first Punk shirt only cost me 7 dollars for shipping to NL though. Don't know why the price is suddenly up by 10 dollars.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really? I like it. Straight to the point and fits in with his other shirt.

I had a horrible feeling the design monkeys would over-think it (look at some of their shirts. urgh).

It's novelty enough to be able to wear it in public without everyone going, what the fuck are you wearing wrassling lol grow up!

Which unfortunately is a reality when you're 28. :D

Aiii

So not worth it
Shame it didn't last as the ratings dropped and they had to blame either Ryder, Punk or Bryan for that.

Come to think of it, from those three I'm glad it's Ryder they dropped.

And Zack Ryder was like #2 or #3 in the company in merchandise for months(still is possibly?) and we saw how he was pushed.

the difference there might be that he was shilling his stuff on the web show. aren't merch sales a big part of why Santino is getting a pretty big push right now? even so, they probably thought they were giving Zack a good push, by involving him in a John Cena angle. it's not like the subjects of their pushes who they want to get over, reliably get over.

somedevil

And Zack Ryder was like #2 or #3 in the company in merchandise for months(still is possibly?) and we saw how he was pushed.

There are differences betweeen Ryder and Bryan and the wrestling observer podcast basically said the difference. Ryder people cheer the gimmick while Daniel Bryan people cheer the character and the wrestler.

Ryder got over through online media, while Daniel Bryan got over through his charcter the WWE made and through his wrestling skill. Also, helps that Yes chants are breaking out in Basketball and Baseball games.

Kaladin

There are differences betweeen Ryder and Bryan and the wrestling observer podcast basically said the difference. Ryder people cheer the gimmick while Daniel Bryan people cheer the character and the wrestler.

Ryder got over through online media, while Daniel Bryan got over through his charcter the WWE made and through his wrestling skill. Also, helps that Yes chants are breaking out in Basketball and Baseball games.

Really? That is kind of awesome.

Vince doesn't care about making money anymore. It's all about living out his fantasies, creating segments that make him laugh, and pulling pranks on people.

DKehoe

Vince doesn't care about making money anymore. It's all about living out his fantasies, creating segments that make him laugh, and pulling pranks on people.

It's what makes Vince so amazing. He will actually do something which will hurt the companies profit because he finds it funny. "Jim Ross is our best commentator and therefore is the best man we have to sell our PPVs to the audience? Oh well, I just love fucking with him too much. Get him off TV!"

It's what makes Vince so amazing. He will actually do something which will hurt the companies profit because he finds it funny. "Jim Ross is our best commentator and therefore is the best man we have to sell our PPVs to the audience? Oh well, I just love fucking with him too much. Get him off TV!"

Yep, only people that had the stroke to have Ross call their match are Undertaker/HHH, because they know Michael Cole is shit. Also, I just realized that Daniel Bryan shopzone shirt still has the shitty Daniel Bryan logo with the ring on the back. Shirt ruined.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just ordered one.

Unfortunately the CM Punk shirt I ordered took fricking forever to arrive. Hope this one is quicker.. :(

My first Punk shirt came after a week or so, the 2nd one was stuck in DHL distribution for a whole month. I do hope this one arrives more quickly.

so i just watched Del Rio fight Cro Cop. much props to Alberto for stepping into the ring with Cro Cop in his prime. makes me like him more.

Kaladin

Pro Tip: If you want to make it out of a WWE taping quickly, leave during the dark match. I stayed for RAW's dark match, but left during Smackdown's. Nobody was leaving during the dark match and I was able to escape the usual hassle of getting out of arenas.

Although I will admit, Wrestlemania was surprisingly easy to get out of.

Pro Tip: If you want to make it out of a WWE taping quickly, leave during the dark match. I stayed for RAW's dark match, but left during Smackdown's. Nobody was leaving during the dark match and I was able to escape the usual hassle of getting out of arenas.

Although I will admit, Wrestlemania was surprisingly easy to get out of.

i tried that at the Raw in Boston last month. my wife spent so long in the bathroom on the way out, that the dark match ended. sabotaged!

Top Bottom