• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

jmdajr

Total days as champ all time combined...

#2 Hulk Hogan — 2,185 days as champion
#4 John Cena — 1,240 days as champion

Still has work to do!

Hasney

Dec 15 1997 is the Vince promo on "good guys and bad guys" basically officially recognizes attitude era.

Ah at least it makes some sense then. Thought it was going to be because Austin chucks the IC title into the river.

EDIT: lol @ Billy Gunn doing the promo work for the NAO entrance. "Oh you didn't know... You better recognise".

Sephzilla

Total days as champ all time combined...

#2 Hulk Hogan — 2,185 days as champion
#4 John Cena — 1,240 days as champion

Still has work to do!

John Cena will win the title one more time just to tie Ric Flair's record. And then John Cena's record breaking 17th championship reign is going to last 3 years, shatter Punk's modern day record, and pass Hulk Hogan for second longest combined reign.

Dark times are ahead

Fox318

John Cena will win the title one more time just to tie Ric Flair's record. And then John Cena's record breaking 17th championship reign is going to last 3 years, shatter Punk's modern day record, and pass Hulk Hogan for second longest combined reign.

Dark times are ahead

Didn't flair technically win 20 times?

I think the bigger thing with a guy is looking at if he elvated somebody or helped him get over.

Mic Foley may be the one of the most important wrestlers ever simply because of that.

Sephzilla

Didn't flair technically win 20 times?

I think the bigger thing with a guy is looking at if he elvated somebody or helped him get over.

Mic Foley may be the one of the most important wrestlers ever simply because of that.

WWE only recognizes 16, which might as well be the canon we work off of at this point unfortunately

jmdajr

Dark times are ahead

wlimmortals8.jpg

One of the first things you're greeted with on the first Attitude Raw on the network:

KvsOcOe.png

Truly the greatest era.

Ha ha. Oh wow. How old is the kid that's even holding that sign?

I'm so embarrassed of The Attitude Era at this stage of my life it isn't even funny.

Heel

It's possible Boomer Sooner Jim Ross knows it's a work so he's working the marks into a shoot on behalf of the GOP. Something to think about,Hulkamaniacs.

Fox318

Lets not act like wresting signs that are offensive suddenly went away.

XFwr9kT.jpg

tumblr_nlydr3nQwJ1tapjipo1_500.jpg

But we still get some good ones and its a unique part of wrestling culture that separates itself from other arena sports/entertainment.

tumblr_nimxytjTRs1qm9odpo1_500.png

tumblr_niqxooauxD1sj4xr4o1_500.jpg

tumblr_niiivlg12r1qm9odpo1_500.png

tumblr_ni8dtoNjYK1qm9odpo1_500.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Triple H is going to protect Flair's record like the true mark that he is.

Nah, honestly, I think Reigns is the only face touching that belt for awhile. From April 2005-April 2008, John Cena was the only babyface to hold the WWE Championship (not counting HHH's 2 hour title reign at No Mercy 07). I think the Reigns "era" is going to be similar to that period.

Fox318

Triple H is going to protect Flair's record like the true mark that he is.

Nah, honestly, I think Reigns is the only face touching that belt for awhile. From April 2005-April 2008, John Cena was the only babyface to hold the WWE Championship (not counting HHH's 2 hour title reign at No Mercy 07). I think the Reigns "era" is going to be similar to that period.

He couldn't even protect the man's daughter from a 30 second squash match on raw with his(hhh's)women's title.

Sephzilla

But really though, Roman will be the first face to get the belt off of Seth but Cena is obviously going to be the backup plan if Roman doesn't pan out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
But really though, Roman will be the first face to get the belt off of Seth but Cena is obviously going to be the backup plan if Roman doesn't pan out.

Absolutely, I just think if Roman does work out for them, the title picture is just going to be Reigns and his heel opponent of the month (Rollins, Wyatt, Ambrose, Kane in 2016, etc.)

strobogo

Banned
Most of the 90s is the story of Vince McMahon testing the waters for an Attitude Era style program, only to get spooked and go hard the opposite direct.

It happened pretty much every year up even through 1996. There would be a few things clearly trying to push the boundaries and then he'd get scared and have hillbillies and wrestling garbage men soon after. I truly believe that Vince wanted the edgier program much, much earlier, and that he's full of shit when he says he just did all that crazy shit because it drew ratings. I'm pretty sure the concept for Raw was to be more adult and edgier, which it was for the first few months, and then he got scarred and pulled back.

jred2k

It would be criminal if we don't get a Shield triple threat for the title at some point. I think the time to pull the pin on that would have been a few months ago when Dean wasn't just treading water, but it isn't too late. Summer Slam would be ideal, but I don't see any way Brock isn't in the title match at that point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most of the 90s is the story of Vince McMahon testing the waters for an Attitude Era style program, only to get spooked and go hard the opposite direct.

It happened pretty much every year up even through 1996. There would be a few things clearly trying to push the boundaries and then he'd get scared and have hillbillies and wrestling garbage men soon after. I truly believe that Vince wanted the edgier program much, much earlier, and that he's full of shit when he says he just did all that crazy shit because it drew ratings. I'm pretty sure the concept for Raw was to be more adult and edgier, which it was for the first few months, and then he got scarred and pulled back.

There's no doubt that's what he was going with for the initial batch of RAWs with Rob Bartlet, Raw girls, all that jazz. It's pretty quiet on the Attitude era front though until late 1995.

Sabucin

It would be criminal if we don't get a Shield triple threat for the title at some point. I think the time to pull the pin on that would have been a few months ago when Dean wasn't just treading water, but it isn't too late. Summer Slam would be ideal, but I don't see any way Brock isn't in the title match at that point.

What about a Fatal 4 way match for the title (lesnar-reigns-ambrose-rollins) and during the match The Shield seems to work together to neutralize Bork until they fight each other in order to get the pin?

strobogo

Banned
I'd legit look down on anyone with a Miz avatar even more than I do users with Taylor Swift avatars, and possibly even anime avatars.

Miz avatars > Swift avatars

Some real cunts in this thread. God forbid any males like pop (short for popular, which means a lot of people like it) music.

There's no doubt that's what he was going with for the initial batch of RAWs with Rob Bartlet, Raw girls, all that jazz. It's pretty quiet on the Attitude era front though until late 1995.

He was pushing it in 1991 with stuff like Quake killing an animal and feeding it to people, Jake feeding Warrior and Macho to his snake, Jake slapping Liz, Papa Shango setting people on fire.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Shield triple threat is inevtiable but that's a Mania or Summerslam main event, not something you throw on a B show like Battleground.

I'm pretty sure Summerslam main event is either Seth vs. Brock for the strap (honestly, THE dream match of the present moment, even more than Cesaro or Bryan, as Seth is simply the best guy in the company) or a triple threat with Roman thrown in, either of which I'm fine with.

Who do you guys think Brock's 'Mania opponent for next year is going to be? We were hearing Rock/Brock, but now it's looking like Rock/HHH, possibly in a mixed tag with the Rousey shit. Brock/Taker would be idiotic, as there's no reason for 'Taker to be the guy who gets the rub for his own streak. Brock/Roman 2 probably wouldn't be as good as the first one, but it'd be alright. Considering they're setting Brock up as a major antagonist to The Authority, do you do Brock/Rollins? That'd be a HELL of a Wrestlemania match, brother.

I'd also accept Orton/Brock, mainly because it'd be an awesome match, and Orton's one of the few guys with the kayfabe credibility to not be laughable in such a match, but that seems more like what they'd have Brock do for Royal Rumble to tide him over than his 'Mania match. Then again, Orton's the bigger star, and given the size of the stadium, maybe that matters more for WM32.

Edit: I am, of course, assuming that they're not going to have Cena do it - which they of course might, though I think Cena vs. Roman for the belt is a better use of both guys' time, and Cena giving Roman the rub is safer than having Brock use his one-time streak rub on a guy who might not work out, long-term, as THE guy. I also don't see any reality where they ever see Bryan as a big enough star to have anything more than a Summerslam match against The Beast, at best, and honestly, with how Brock wrestles now, I almost don't want to see the match.

Fox318

I'm pretty sure Summerslam main event is either Seth vs. Brock for the strap (honestly, THE dream match of the present moment, even more than Cesaro or Bryan, as Seth is simply the best guy in the company) or a triple threat with Roman thrown in, either of which I'm fine with.

Who do you guys think Brock's 'Mania opponent for next year is going to be? We were hearing Rock/Brock, but now it's looking like Rock/HHH, possibly in a mixed tag with the Rousey shit. Brock/Taker would be idiotic, as there's no reason for 'Taker to be the guy who gets the rub for his own streak. Brock/Roman 2 probably wouldn't be as good as the first one, but it'd be alright. Considering they're setting Brock up as a major antagonist to The Authority, do you do Brock/Rollins? That'd be a HELL of a Wrestlemania match, brother.

I'd also accept Orton/Brock, mainly because it'd be an awesome match, and Orton's one of the few guys with the kayfabe credibility to not be laughable in such a match, but that seems more like what they'd have Brock do for Royal Rumble to tide him over than his 'Mania match. Then again, Orton's the bigger star, and given the size of the stadium, maybe that matters more for WM32.
People are nuts if they really want to see a Bryan Lesnar match. I just can't see Bryan taking those suplexs.

A lot could change between now and Summerslam and who knows. Maybe they bring Lesner back after Extreme Rules as his 3rd match.

I still want to see Cesaro-Brock but we have time for that.

Triple Threat Shield should be the main event of one of the major PPVs.

And Dean should go over

Top Bottom