• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

This fits with stuff I've heard about lucha. Like X-Pac on Austin's podcast talking about working in Mexico and saying exactly that. There's no psychology to it at all.

There's psychology, it's just not American psychology. It's much more about machismo and such.

But even with "no" psychology, give me a heated 80's lucha brawl with blood and pissed off Mexican fans over any X-Pac match.

Alucard

Banned
There's psychology, it's just not American psychology. It's much more about machismo and such.

But even with "no" psychology, give me a heated 80's lucha brawl with blood and pissed off Mexican fans over any X-Pac match.

So it really is about guys just trading moves like in a video game? I mean, I don't mind all that much as that style can be really exciting when planned out well, but there doesn't seem to be a sense of the matches building towards something.

LU seems like a perfect marriage for this stuff. You get the action of lucha with the American storytelling. Or maybe I'm totally off, as my lucha experience is very limited.

Alucard

Banned
Guys, is it weird that I think Matt Striker and Vampiro are the best announce team in pro wrestling today?

WrdyPVw.gif

I wasn't sold on them for the first handful of LU episodes, but they've really found their groove, and their energy and enthusiasm is infectious.

They just sold Johnny Mundo's left leg as being weakened "over the past few weeks" by King Cuerno while Texano worked it over. That's detail, friends.

#2SweetMeBro

ZwCQzOJ.gif

So it really is about guys just trading moves like in a video game? I mean, I don't mind all that much as that style can be really exciting when planned out well, but there doesn't seem to be a sense of the matches building towards something.

LU seems like a perfect marriage for this stuff. You get the action of lucha with the American storytelling. Or maybe I'm totally off, as my lucha experience is very limited.

Well, it's much more of a performance, but yes, storytelling in matches isn't so much about "this series of moves," even if some of the sickest matwork I've ever seen is in a lucha ring, but more about, "I'm a tecnico, so I'm going to prove how awesome I am by hitting this dive," or "I'm a rudo, so I'm going to cheat and fuck you up cause I'm a rough man who does rough things."

Same thing with angles - they aren't deep and advanced. Guys want to fight, they challenge each other for their mask or hair, and people turn heel or face. It's not complicated, but it's awesome when it works.

Atlantis vs. UG from this year's Anniversary show is an awesome example of this. Not five stars in the ring, but there was more emotion in that much than I've seen in years of American wrestling.

Alucard

Banned
Well, it's much more of a performance, but yes, storytelling in matches isn't so much about "this series of moves," even if some of the sickest matwork I've ever seen is in a lucha ring, but more about, "I'm a tecnico, so I'm going to prove how awesome I am by hitting this dive," or "I'm a rudo, so I'm going to cheat and fuck you up cause I'm a rough man who does rough things."

Same thing with angles - they aren't deep and advanced. Guys want to fight, they challenge each other for their mask or hair, and people turn heel or face. It's not complicated, but it's awesome when it works.

Atlantis vs. UG from this year's Anniversary show is an awesome example of this. Not five stars in the ring, but there was more emotion in that much than I've seen in years of American wrestling.

I'll check it out. I totally love Lucha Underground, so I have no doubt that there are other lucha promotions and matches that I'd enjoy.

Also, sweet transition from Son of Havoc after a Cage kickout.

ROTkrwk.gif

...and man does Pentagon Jr. look great on television.

wWIP5iT.gif

Another very good episode of Lucha Underground this week.

-incredible trios tag
-solid three-way
-Pentagon Jr.
-great one-on-one main event

Most entertaining hour of pro wrestling on television.

Xater

NoRéN;160327993 said:
Even in the tag match at the live event in San Jose she looked rough.

I don't doubt it. Her punches must be worse than Cena's. The body builder posing is also super dumb.

NoRéN

Pentagon Jr. Is one of the most over heels ever. It's crazy seeing the reactions he gets in person every month.

I don't doubt it. Her punches must be worse than Cena's. The body builder posing is also super dumb.
Yeah, those poses are...well, no one gave a fuck. Everything she did looked weak considering she is a stronger bodybuilder. It didn't help that Bailey and Becky Lynch were in the match.

Hasney

Hmm. Drago's is smoother, but feels like it has no impact.

I think it's the pop-up at the end that makes it look less impactful.

EDIT: Just saw that Reigns/Show is last man standing. I wonder if I can put some money on the finish being a simultaneous superman punch/WMD and Reigns just beats the count.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ricochet doesn't really seem like that great of a choice for the LU champion looking back. He seems like a guy who chases. He just doesn't have that aura of a Cuerno or that monster champion of a Pentagon or even Mil Muertes. I might even prefer to see Drago as champion.

A lot of the Lucha Underground cast seems like very strong characters. Very over the top and comic book-y. Ricochet just comes off as more 'eh' by comparison. Very fish out of water.

Ricochet doesn't really seem like that great of a choice for the LU champion looking back. He seems like a guy who chases. He just doesn't have that aura of a Cuerno or that monster champion of a Pentagon or even Mil Muertes. I might even prefer to see Drago as champion.

A lot of the Lucha Underground cast seems like very strong characters. Very over the top and comic book-y. Ricochet just comes off as more 'eh' by comparison. Very fish out of water.

Yeah Puma is more of a quiet achiever, insanely good work ethic but pretty low key. Lotta potential there though for them to break him out of that mold.

Indie dudes need to figure out that the sweet spot for a promo is 3 minutes or less, anything more is pushing it and you better hope you've got something compelling to say if you're going anything longer than 3.
It's not great.

I did get a laugh when he almost word for word said what someone said about him earlier in the thread about rock bottom, cutter, super kick, frogsplash

Aiii

So not worth it
Dana Brooke looks rough, very rough.

They shouldn't have put her on TV just yet if this match is anything to go by.

Alucard

Banned
Raw has good wrestling and competent lighting

Eh, I think most people who have watched both would say that LU is easily the more exciting and interesting of the two products.

As an aside, is the bloom off the NXT rose? Last night's episode was pretty bland. I feel like the show has as many misses as hits.

Alucard

Banned

Someone finally needed to say this. He seems like a Rocky type that is still in Rocky 1, and he's been made to look like a child alongside Konnan. He doesn't have the aura of a champion (right now) with the way he's been positioned, regardless of his in-ring performances.

Lum1n3s

There is nothing wrong with the lighting on Lucha underground. Mark Burnett ain't no cheapskate

This, the lighting is always good. I've never missed a thing because of it.

The only episode that sort of disappointed was last weeks and if anything I would rate that as a B episode. Yesterday's episode was so good though and it definitely deserves an A+.

Btw, why are people mentioning that Pentagon Jr was in yesterday's episode? I didn't see him so I'm wondering where he could've showed up. Any info on this?

PINg6n5.gif

This has to be my favorite gif of Lucha, love how Puma is contemplating getting in that ring with Cage after he got hit lol.

Alucard

Banned
This, the lighting is always good. I've never missed a thing because of it.

The only episode that sort of disappointed was last weeks and if anything I would rate that as a B episode. Yesterday's episode was so good though and it definitely deserves an A+.

Btw, why are people mentioning that Pentagon Jr was in yesterday's episode? I didn't see him so I'm wondering where he could've showed up. Any info on this?

http://i.imgur.com/PINg6n5.gif

This has to be my favorite gif of Lucha, love how Puma is contemplating getting in that ring with Cage after he got hit lol.[/QUOTE]

Pentagon's segment was after the three-way match. He tried to attack the ring announcer but was interrupted by Sexy Star. Vampiro also got out of his announcer's desk and looked ready to go.

Guys, is it weird that I think Matt Striker and Vampiro are the best announce team in pro wrestling today?

I wasn't sold on them for the first handful of LU episodes, but they've really found their groove, and their energy and enthusiasm is infectious.

They just sold Johnny Mundo's left leg as being weakened "over the past few weeks" by King Cuerno while Texano worked it over. That's detail, friends.

#2SweetMeBro

CCNHMiJUkAEuNW1.jpg:large

Alucard

Banned
I don't have access to AXS. Wah. Haven't watched any of the episodes, but I've heard nothing but glowing praise for the commentary.

Xater

I don't have access to AXS. Wah. Haven't watched any of the episodes, but I've heard nothing but glowing praise for the commentary.

Still you saying the LU team is great is you drinking the Kool-Aid a bit too much. They are not that great. Adequate would be a word I'd use.

Lum1n3s

Still you saying the LU team is great is you drinking the Kool-Aid a bit too much. They are not that great. Adequate would be a word I'd use.

That's because they are, they actually have shit to say at every waking moment. Like one of the poster's said they touch on past incidents like Johnny Mundo's leg. Striker's commentary is some of the best hands down, it's like listening to a wrestling angel speak. Vampiro def. adds to it somewhat.

Ithil

Eh, I think most people who have watched both would say that LU is easily the more exciting and interesting of the two products.

As an aside, is the bloom off the NXT rose? Last night's episode was pretty bland. I feel like the show has as many misses as hits.

There's a rough patch due to the March Takeover show getting moved up a month to February, so all the angles got rushed to a finish and they then had to tape two or three months worth of TV without any angles in the space of a week, right after Takeover Rival. The whole month of March really screwed with the scheduling between the touring shows and Mania week..

So it messed up the whole creative for the past few months. Expect it to pick up after next week's set of tapings (the first TV tapings since February) when it starts building to the May Takeover show.

Top Bottom