• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

klonere

Banned
No one in NJPW this year has done anything to show me that they're going to have an amazing year yet. Some quality matches obviously, but like if you were to ask me about the best workers/most improved of 2015...

None of them come anywhere close to Okabayashi, Yuji Hino, Kento Miyahara, or Hideki Suzuki. BJW and DDT are shitting all over NJPW for me right now and AJPW is on the rise if they keep booking consistent quality matches. Takagi, Horiguchi, and Akiyama got to be the best bookers going right now. I have no idea who books BJW Strong division. I know Ito does the death match stuff.

do you watch all the Japanese stuff on Dailymotion?

also I assume the Young Bucks work heel, they look like the most obnoxious fuckers ever or is their flippy shit too face?

XenoRaven

also I assume the Young Bucks work heel, they look like the most obnoxious fuckers ever or is their flippy shit too face?
The Young Bucks are an indie wrestling parody gimmick. They add unnecessary flips to everything and then celebrate it like it's the greatest achievement in wrestling history. They also steal quotes, moves, and mannerisms from a variety of wrestlers and stables including Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, DX, and the nWo, which makes them a great fit for the Bullet Club.

If I had to say anything positive about them it's that they're really good at making me hate them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I watch NJPW on NJPW World but everything else is a mix of DailyMotion and Youtube as sadly NJPW is the only one with a US-compatible service. Which sucks because I'd like to have higher quality stuff.

Young Bucks are modern X-Pac but their fans insist their heat isn't X-Pac Heat. Even though it is.

Thorakai

H44Em6t.gif

oh dear

why

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, apparently Graves is at Marvel HQ for this episode. Hm.

I watch NJPW on NJPW World but everything else is a mix of DailyMotion and Youtube as sadly NJPW is the only one with a US-compatible service. Which sucks because I'd like to have higher quality stuff.

Young Bucks are modern X-Pac but their fans insist their heat isn't X-Pac Heat. Even though it is.

Granted I don't go to many different forums, but the only hate I see about the YB are from a vocal minority. I would say it is 95/5 in favor of the YB.

Alucard

Banned
No one in NJPW this year has done anything to show me that they're going to have an amazing year yet. Some quality matches obviously, but like if you were to ask me about the best workers/most improved of 2015...

None of them come anywhere close to Okabayashi, Yuji Hino, Kento Miyahara, or Hideki Suzuki. BJW and DDT are shitting all over NJPW for me right now and AJPW is on the rise if they keep booking consistent quality matches. Takagi, Horiguchi, and Akiyama got to be the best bookers going right now. I have no idea who books BJW Strong division. I know Ito does the death match stuff.

Not even Kota Ibushi?

Nakamura
Honma
Naito
Goto
Styles

He's had very good to great matches against all of these guys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What're your thoughts on Sexy Beast? I love that movie, too.

Absolutely loved it. Just loved the shit out of it. Kingsley was incredibly easy to hate. Such a fucking prick. It was amazing.

Glad I'm not the only person here who loves The Limey. Stamp is so good. SO good. Only other movie that comes close to the best Terence Stamp performance is Superman II, which was the best Superman movie as well.
Have you seen The Hit? I just saw it last week, he's great in that, plus quiet John Hurt and babby Tim Roth

The Limey is one of the very best movies of the 1990s. Soderbergh's made a SHIT-TON of movies I've not seen, but I'd be surprised if he had a movie that matched or surpassed it.

Edit: Written by the same man that wrote the great sci-fi(ish) film Dark City.

Alucard

Banned
Says who? Dude, DDT is huge. NJPW brought him in to bring in DDT fans.

and his match in DDT with Harashima was better than any of his stuff in NJPW.

Where can I watch that match? I've loved everything Ibushi has touched this year.

I'm enjoying a lot of NJPW stuff this year.

-Okada's story
-AJ as champ
-Sakuraba booting fools
-Nakamura being Nakamura
-Naito being Naito

I dunno. To be fair, I only started following or watching Japanese wrestling with any regularity when NJPW World became a thing. Very limited exposure to DDT, BJW, etc. just due to time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Have you seen The Hit? I just saw it last week, he's great in that, plus quiet John Hurt and babby Tim Roth

I have not, I will seek it out. I saw The Big Hit with uh...Bokeem Woodbine? And Dean Cain, I think? It sucked.

Great movie. Was the first time I ever heard the term "Front Bottom"

lol

The Limey is one of the very best movies of the 1990s. Soderbergh's made a SHIT-TON of movies I've not seen, but I'd be surprised if he had a movie that matched or surpassed it.

Limey is just incredible. Just so incredible. I should also dip into his backcatalogue.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2haeiz

It's not necessarily that NJPW is bad. It's that it's usual NJPW booking. Everything just coasts until it's time for G1, and I can't stand the Okada redemption arc. I think Okada has gone from improving at an alarming rate to just being same-y and super predictable in all his matches. ESPECIALLY the finishes.

Where as it looks like Akiyama is finally getting full control of the booking in AJPW, they've got a ton of great guys and are making use of guys who aren't that great which is like the best possible thing a booker can do is turn someone meh into someone great not through 50 minute long matches but by playing to their strengths. In BJW, Ishikawa is busting his ass, Okabayashi is on his way to surpassing his master Sekimoto. He's got it all. And I think Yuji Hino IS better than Sekimoto now. Miyahara reminds me of a young Tanahashi but in AJPW so working a much different style which makes him very exciting. Go is pulling great matches out of Zeus. Hideki Suzuki has had a HUGE boost due to the Z-1 vs W-1 feud and it's pretty much the only good thing out of it, but he comes off as a legit main event level guy in Japan now. Especially after dominating Masakatsu Funaki and KAI. DDT is having an insanely great tag division where they book god tier match-ups like Strong BJ vs Ishii and Irie.

There's lots of interesting stuff happening in puroresu right now, so you can forgive me if I'm not excited about 'Tanahashi vs Okada - 1 year in the Making'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
cubsfan said:
What’s the story with Season Two? A few weeks ago, producers were telling me “it looks good.” This weekend, producers were telling me “it looks VERY good.” BUT…it’s not signed, locked in just yet. I don’t want to get heat with you guys by saying “Season Two is a go” only to have it all fall through.
Bottom line is, this is the TV biz, these contracts take time. But the buzz all weekend was very positive. Despite whatever doom & gloom you may read about, the morale about Ultima Lucha and Season Two was very high.
http://undergroundluchador.tumblr.com/post/117097487723/thats-a-wrap-sort-of

Itami's gimmick just needs to be Pissed Off Japanese Goldberg sick of seeing this indie guys steal his moves for fame and fortune. Kayfabe injure DB off of television and just savagely dominate the roster until its Itami vs. Lesnar at WM32.

It's not necessarily that NJPW is bad. It's that it's usual NJPW booking. Everything just coasts until it's time for G1

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way - you know you'll get some great matches with the New Japan roster, but they're lacking any distinct feuds right now. Okada vs Tanahashi is obviously a long term thing that, if suspicions are correct, will end up as next year's WK main event (so, Okada gets the title back from AJ and Tana wins the G1, or vice versa), but other than that there's no real major storylines - there's the Bullet Club, but they haven't been willing to pull the trigger on the Bullet Club vs New Japan Sekigun feud that seems like one of the most logical conclusions, unless they don't intend for Bullet Clubs 'invasion' to have a conclusion any longer. Regardless, I think they need a shake-up - something big needs to happen, preferably faction based. Makabe kicks G.B.H. back into gear. CHAOS implodes. Naito grows a pair and forms his own fucking faction. Something.

It's awesome that there's great stuff going on in other promotions though, because for a year or two there it was only New Japan, Dragon Gate & DDT worth a damn.

JavyOO7

http://network.wwe.com/video/v84176083

Culture Shock with Corey Graves ain't so bad. I was cringing a bit whenever he made mentions of a link between people liking comic books (Marvel in this case) and the WWE universe. Other than that, fun little episode, Corey isn't a bad host and his series will probably be the least cringe worthy out of the new original stuff that WWE Network is going to dish out. =p

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way - you know you'll get some great matches with the New Japan roster, but they're lacking any distinct feuds right now. Okada vs Tanahashi is obviously a long term thing that, if suspicions are correct.

I doubt that Okada - Tanahashi headlines WK10. If New Japan has done anything well its not burn through major storylines too fast and last year set up Okada finally getting that big WK win. To me, the most likely main is Okada and Nakamura with Goto winning the IC title at Dontaku, Okada beating AJ, and then Nak winning the G1.

What I'd like to see is AJ keep the title through all of 2015 and then lose at WK to either Nakamura or Ibushi.

Lol, what the hell was this;

x4kjnql.gif

I doubt that Okada - Tanahashi headlines WK10. If New Japan has done anything well its not burn through major storylines too fast and last year set up Okada finally getting that big WK win.

I don't think they are burning through it too fast, Tanahashi & Okada have barely interacted since WK9 and every time they have Tanahashi's show up Okada. They've set up Okada for his big WK win, but it has to be against Tanahashi. If not this year, then next year, but Okada needs to beat the Ace of NJPW on the grandest stage. That's what the WK9 match was all about - Okada was done with Tanahashi, Tana even agreed to never challenge him for the title again. The only thing that put them back in each other's path was Tanahashi being able to get the job done against Styles where Okada couldn't. But as far as Okada was concerned, he was the New Ace of NJPW and Tanahashi was old news. He went into WK9 expecting to roll over Tanahashi and reclaim his title, but Tanahashi exposed him and showed how far Okada really was from being THE guy. Tell me the logical end of that storyline isn't Okada finally beating Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom. I definitely think Okada vs Nakamura as a WK main event is on the card, but to my mind Tanahashi vs Okada has to happen first. Okada has to feel like he's hot shit again, to feel like he's at the very top of the mountain, only for Nakamura to turn on him and knock him back down.

Regardless of how it plays out, I'm super excited for the G1. So many possibilities.

Kaiterra

Banned
Sheamus sit-down interview almost makes that stupid, ridiculous match stipulation for Sheamus vs. Ziggler sound intriguing and logical.

Almost.

http://network.wwe.com/video/v84176083

Culture Shock with Corey Graves ain't so bad. I was cringing a bit whenever he made mentions of a link between people liking comic books (Marvel in this case) and the WWE universe.

It makes sense. I basically got an appreciation for wrestling in no small part because it was kind of like a comic book in real life.

klonere

Banned
Sheamus sit-down interview almost makes that stupid, ridiculous match stipulation for Sheamus vs. Ziggler sound intriguing and logical.

Almost.

linky?

Holy shit these Val Venis vingettes before his debut what the FUCK. If your mom or dad walked in while you were watching this it'd be hella awkward.

On the other hand the playfully racist Bradshaw/Taka Michinoku/Kamikaze Club segments are a guilty pleasure.

Kaladin

linky?

Holy shit these Val Venis vingettes before his debut what the FUCK. If your mom or dad walked in while you were watching this it'd be hella awkward.

On the other hand the playfully racist Bradshaw/Taka Michinoku/Kamikaze Club segments are a guilty pleasure.

Wait till you get to "I choppy choppy your pee pee!".

Top Bottom