• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Toki767

I just... I just don't understand it.

You can be a great female wrestler who earned all of her accomplishments but if your with the top star of the company, all that gets ignored and people imply that your relationship got you to the top.

It's disgusting that this type of thinking still exists and that it's on display in that thread.

Well. Not that it's any better, but as soon as HHH started dating Stephanie, everything he did basically got ignored too and all everyone ever said was that he was only on top because he was banging the boss' daughter.

Yay for consistency? :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"look at this post guys", this is kinda childish when people single out other post like this or a ridiculous opinion on gaming side. Either call the dude a creep like he is or ignore it, no need for further attention.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to make sure I respond to that disgusting post.

I don't really even know any of you, as I'm just an ocassional poster here, but I just want to tell you all that I love you, and I want this thread to be ok.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Raw After Wrestlemania XI had some dope shit.

tumblr_nm98gqfRA41ql0k28o1_250.gif

tumblr_nm98gqfRA41ql0k28o2_250.gif

tumblr_nm98gqfRA41ql0k28o4_250.gif

tumblr_nm98gqfRA41ql0k28o5_250.gif

I don't really even know any of you, as I'm just an ocassional poster here, but I just want to tell you all that I love you, and I want this thread to be ok.

We're gonna make it. Clear vision, honest drive to do better - what could go wrong?

Toki767

I miss the days when bridging german suplexes were finishers. Same with dragon and tiger suplexes.

Most finishers nowadays seem so contrived.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All finishers now are about 'See? I'm unique because I do this move this way! No one else does it this way!'

Yeah, because it looks like shit. I like the Puro Resurrection of just lifting a dude off the ground, kneeing him in the face and pinning him.

Off-topic, but I've been debating on getting a PS4 the last few days. I hated the DS3, and generally can't stand the symmetrical stick layout. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a DS4 yet. Thoughts on it compared to the DS3?

PInk Tape

Banned
bailed from that shitty aj thread after "they fucked their way into political power"

It's absolutely vile.

Well. Not that it's any better, but as soon as HHH started dating Stephanie, everything he did basically got ignored too and all everyone ever said was that he was only on top because he was banging the boss' daughter.

Yay for consistency? :(

It's such a petty way of thinking. Plus it makes the person saying it look so idiotic and ignorant no matter the gender, race, etc. of the person accused.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Crossface Chicken Wing and Banzai Drop are basically tied in the New Generation. Only one person ever gets out of each of them and every other time they are automatic wins.

Toki767

It's such a petty way of thinking. Plus it makes the person saying it look so idiotic and ignorant no matter the gender, race, etc.

Yeah. I don't know how those types of responses aren't just bannable. It's just ridiculous especially when the people who say it don't even really know about the person they're accusing of it or anything. They just think it's the funny response.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Off-topic, but I've been debating on getting a PS4 the last few days. I hated the DS3, and generally can't stand the symmetrical stick layout. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a DS4 yet. Thoughts on it compared to the DS3?

Agree, hate symmetrical sticks. And convex cups,

It's absolutely vile.

It's such a petty way of thinking. Plus it makes the person saying it look so idiotic and ignorant no matter the gender, race, etc. of the person accused.

Agree 100% but I'm gonna keep fighting the good fight.

More wrestlers should follow the example of Karl Anderson

z2cILPt.gif

Fuck Karl Anderson

That's impressive, but also stupid. Nuance. I've got it!

Carnby

I fid it annoying a woman can't make her own decisions, it must be the influence of a man!

Even if she worked for the company two years after the falling out between Punk and WWE.

They're married. A spouses opinion is important and influential regardless of gender.

kunonabi

The DS4 is the first Sony controller I've liked since the original PS1 pad. It's much better than the DS3. Still not a fan of the triggers but the sticks are better. They aren't as cramped and much easier on the thumbs.

More wrestlers should follow the example of Karl Anderson

z2cILPt.gif

Fuck Karl Anderson
I just happened to have Adrian Neville's nxt theme playing as I watched this gif for the first time, holy shit. XD

Anyways, I'm bummed that I can't go to Raw here in Austin next week (I work early-bird shifts). I'll faithfully be watching it at home and subscribing to wrestle-gaf. Now that I'm off closing shifts at work, I hope to finally come back home. :)

PInk Tape

Banned
All finishers now are about 'See? I'm unique because I do this move this way! No one else does it this way!'

Yeah, because it looks like shit. I like the Puro Resurrection of just lifting a dude off the ground, kneeing him in the face and pinning him.

To add to this, I also dislike the notion that you have to do a finisher multiple times for every match.

somedevil

Not as long as Bryan is under contract. Wonder if he's up to the point where he's saved enough money to where he never has to work another day again and can step away any time he wants.

Its not like that. His reply is to an interview Bryan did where he told the interviewer he pitched WWE to have an inter-promotional match with him with it airing on both the networks.

It just won't happen because I don't think WWE or New Japan would let this happen.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I know not everyone's a fan of the British wrestling style, but if you've never seen it before spare 10 or so minutes to watch this great little match with a young Dynamite Kid defending his British Light Heavyweight Title against veteran Tony Scarlo. Some fantastic hold-for-hold stuff here, plus Dynamite gets to show flashes of his speed and agility. Scarlo's a delight to watch as well, everything he does is so smooth and he sells in that great understated sort of way a lot of the old British guys did. Well worth a watch, friends;

Dynamite Kid (c) vs Tony Scarlo - British Light Heavyweight Title - (World of Sport 1977/10/13)

7LvAMXM.gif
Zfz2Xbt.gif

Good stuff. It's a shame so much of Scarlo's time as a wrestler was never televised, some of his matches as a babyface/blue-eye against George Kidd always sound like they had to be the stuff of pure catch wrestling.

Genuine question here.
Should I
A) continue to do the little reviews I've done for AJPW/Zero-1/less popular around here Japanese promotions. So like every match gets a quick summary and if I recommend it or not. About the same length as my Thunder In Paradise reviews
B) Post up the gifs related to the event and review the event in total very briefly. Like a paragraph that's just, 'This match is good because this, this match is bad because blank, overall watch this match or watch the whole even't
C) Just post gifs and post a match link if the match is really good and I think non-fans should check it out.

I've enjoyed reading your reviews, and I always think it's better to have one or two gifts to support a little review. So I say A and a bit of C.

Incoming rant:

Why there's no such thing as a retirement match anymore? Nowadays it's like wrestlers rather hit the tweeters and declare their departure, rather than having a simple "loser leaves town" or a simple retirement match to give out a last hurrah. It's probably the old school in me but I lone for the day where a departure had some sort of kayfabe behind it, rather than relying on the "scoops" or other ways through the internet to let the news be known.

Honestly? A lot of it comes down to the fact no one stayed retired. There is of course the obvious joke of Terry Funk (FOREVER!), but there are just loads of individuals who said they were retiring once and got a good to great match on indy shows only to return a couple of years down the road when they regretted it. It's just so devalued when people don't believe it will last, like a superhero dying in comics, we expect things to return as they were eventually if they can still be brought back and there is an audience for it.
For some promotions, because of the devaluing or fear fans will just see it as a gimmick, rather have it be spread as word of mouth and take advantage of it that way than risk looking like a fool if the wrestler comes back a year later. That and "he's been signed by WWE/TNA/NJPW/Got a bit part in the latest Marvel movie!/etc" gets a lot of the same reaction a retirement match would.

On the WWE and other big companies, it's also about wanting people to still have hope about "one more match". Stone Cold has his last match, but even now people still talk about how he could come back and it was a topic of conversation while Punk was around. Even Bret Hart who couldn't physically wrestle still had a match against Mr. McMahon.

Not to say there aren't at least one last hurrah moments though. Allison Danger announced her retirement after one last match at SHIMMER and many fans were grateful for one last showing before she departed. Even New Jack, for reasons I'll never understand, got one.

I miss the days when bridging german suplexes were finishers. Same with dragon and tiger suplexes.

Most finishers nowadays seem so contrived.

I wish they could get to the point where any move could finish a match if hit just right or the opponent is just that weak from the fight, that they could finish the match. Finishing moves being used less, but back to the point where they almost always actually finish the match if they fully connect.

I like it when it's recalled there is only three seconds to a pin and a simple properly timed and punch can knock a person down for at least that long, but something like Stan Hansen's lariat is guaranteed to keep them down for three seconds (or longer if it beheads a man).

Toki767

Its not like that. His reply is from an interview Bryan did where he told the interviewer he pitched WWE to have an inter-promotional match with him with it airing on both the networks.

It just won't happen because I don't think WWE or New Japan would let this happen.

New Japan would absolutely let it happen. It's WWE that won't. Because if they did, they'd have to recognize that a whole other company has wrestlers that rival their own in popularity.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just happened to have Adrian Neville's nxt theme playing as I watched this gif for the first time, holy shit. XD

Anyways, I'm bummed that I can't go to Raw here in Austin next week (I work early-bird shifts). I'll faithfully be watching it at home and subscribing to wrestle-gaf. Now that I'm off closing shifts at work, I hope to finally come back home. :)

Just a friendly warning, Rawsslegaf is a strange place compared to Business As Usual in here. You'll find a bunch of people who never post with some strange opinions.

We welcome you regardless and hope you stick around during the "off hours" as well.

Do you understand now, Sunflower, why I used to plead with you to not make wrestling threads in OT?

Yeah, but I'm still gonna do it. If I can dig up a mouthbreathing cro-magnon, well, I figure I probably should.

Fox318

To add to this, I also dislike the notion that you have to do a finisher multiple times for every match.

I think it depends on the finisher.

Brock has made the F5 matter because he pulled it out so early in matches.

It also helps that he is one of the few guys that doesn't go in for the pin because he wants to beat up his opponents and not just win.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
New Japan would absolutely let it happen. It's WWE that won't. Because if they did, they'd have to recognize that a whole other company has wrestlers that rival their own in popularity.

But they really don't. Only wrasslin nerds, western and eastern, know or care about NJPW. They aren't competition at all.

somedevil

Well WWE is going to use Hideo Itami and Finn Balor for there Japan tour because they were popular in other companies.

Also, would New Japan do this when they have a deal with ROH and WWE has taken one of there stars and were going after Okada.

Plus TNA is not in England anymore by crowd reactions alone.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I think it depends on the finisher.

Brock has made the F5 matter because he pulled it out so early in matches.

It also helps that he is one of the few guys that doesn't go in for the pin because he wants to beat up his opponents and not just win.

At this point I don't consider the F5 to be a finishing move, rather just a signature move he uses just like that side bearhug he does or a power slam. Kimura Lock on the other hand, if he ever used that again, was purely to end matches right then and there.

I liked what Paul Heyman said once years ago though. "every move is a finishing move if wanted it be so" , because as you said, he wants to beat up his opponents.

Heroman

Banned
No one outside of Japan cares about NJPW that much.

Top Bottom