• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NoRéN;158944219 said:
I'm telling you, it was weird. the best way I can describe them is... You know that dude that lingers at GameStop for too long? either trying to talk video games with the employees or giving their unwanted opinion to people waiting in line to pay, hair disheveled with patchy facial hair? And damn were they loud.

How much Bullet Club merch did they own? Did they try to 2 sweet you?

Remember when Miz worked himself into getting CM Punk and Regal to shoot brotherjackdudes?

tumblr_m5y3c4k4wP1rvice8o1_250.gif
tumblr_m5y3c4k4wP1rvice8o2_250.gif
tumblr_m5y3c4k4wP1rvice8o3_250.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only thing wrong about LT vs Bam Bam was the fact that Bam Bam was very clearly the face and no one got that.
I got it Bam Bam.

You can also tell with that match that the WWF was trying to push Bam Bam after it and that for numerous reasons (1995 KotR, cough cough) it didn't work. It's not his fault though.

Alex Riley seems like he's probably the biggest turd in real life. His original high school jock gimmick probably wasn't too far off from his real personality.

I mean, Datazord said right after WK9 that he thought Tanahashi/Okada was way overrated, that it telegraphed its ending too much, was too long, and was predictable.

I will say that, on a personal level, I subjectively enjoyed Roman/Brock quite a bit more, regardless of which is the superior match on a more objective level of skill, storytelling, etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe overrated is too harsh a term, but it definitely felt like it was long for the sake of being long. Especially the way they had Tanahashi and Okada hyping it up in previews('6 star match'). I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of my list, but Brock vs Lesnar felt more exciting to me because it defied what everyone expected right from the start. Brock bulldozed, Roman looked strong while still appearing vulnerable. Like he immediately figure out he was in over his head, but he took it on the chin. it was the perfect execution of using a little and making it look like a lot. Brock's big match feel, all the rumors around Roman and then when you think it's going one way, Rollins comes out way before you expected him to. Okada vs Tanahashi is what, 40 minutes long? And the only thing I remember from it is Tanahashi's insane leap. Roman vs Brock I remember the spear while Brock had Seth, I remember the german, I remember Brock punching Roman off the apron.

It's definitely a match that's the summation of its parts. It probably won't hold up as well when people look back on it, but I don't necessarily think Tanahashi vs Okada will either. It's just like Suzuki vs Sakuraba doesn't have as many near falls or feats of athleticism in it, but everything around it made it a better match than Okada/Tanahashi to me. And both those guys(Tanahashi and Okada) are great. I still think Tanahashi is one of the best doing it right now. Top 5 purely for his ability to be able to work with any style combined with a John Cena level of work ethic. I just don't think the match was.

XenoRaven

I don't care how talented two guys are, if they wrestle as many times as Okada and Tanahashi have in the past four years, they are going to struggle to keep things fresh. It's the biggest criticism I have of NJPW right now. You have three guys that can legitimately contend for the title and everyone else just there to fill time until the next WK. But I also understand the reluctance to give the belt to Naito, Goto, or Shibata.

Why Suzuki has never been IWGP Champ, though, is a complete mystery to me.

XenoRaven

I don't think anyone was saying it's a bad match. It's just being compared to Brock vs Reigns. There's more talent in the Okada vs Tanahashi match, but Brock vs Reigns was booked to perfection.

I don't think anyone was saying it's a bad match. It's just being compared to Brock vs Reigns. There's more talent in the Okada vs Tanahashi match, but Brock vs Reigns was booked to perfection.

Seems like apples and oranges to me. Okada/tanahahsi was the continuing of a rivalry.

Brock/reignS was telling a story of reigns trying overcoming the odds(lol)

Both succed imo

NoRéN

Most people at ROH/Wrestlecon shows I've been to are as Noren described
Wrestlecon wasn't too bad for me. Sure, there were some typical people that walked around like they were celebrities because they knew a person who knew a person that knew a wrestler, but fans weren't too annoying. I didn't experience much smarkiness there. If anything, I did see a few fans that I somewhat felt bad for like this one older dude who kept trying to engage people only to get blown of. In fairness, the guy looked creepy as fuck, like has a basement/kipnap dungeon creepy.

The amount of cool people I met far outweighed the bad.

Brock vs. Roman was a huge disappointment. I was really hoping that Roman could pull a match out of Brock that was even half as good as the Roman/Big Show ***** classics we got in the build to 'Mania. Those were some MOTForever nominees.

RP912

Banned
Brock vs. Roman was a huge disappointment. I was really hoping that Roman could pull a match out of Brock that was even half as good as the Roman/Big Show ***** classics we got in the build to 'Mania. Those were some MOTForever nominees.

Brock/Roman had that storytelling effect though. Sure Roman couldn't pull a match out of Brock's ass but dude really redeemed himself a bit with the whole smiling aspect of receiving the beatdowns. The match was more FnP than anything else because it was obvious that Seth was cashing in that night.

Brock/Roman had that storytelling effect though. Sure Roman couldn't pull a match out of Brock's ass but dude really redeemed himself a bit with the whole smiling aspect of receiving the beatdowns. The match was more FnP than anything else because it was obvious that Seth was cashing in that night.

In what way was it obvious? Retroactively its easy to say its obvious but it was shocking because I thought Vince had his head so far up Romans ass he would stick to his visión,

iMax

Is there a kayfabe explanation for why gimmick-heavy wrestlers are actually wrestling?

I find it pretty jarring when JR talks about Kane being a demon from the depths of hell, when said demon—instead of ending all life on Earth—instead chooses to pursue a career for a championship title in a regulated sport.

Am I overthinking it? I'm overthinking it aren't I.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is there a kayfabe explanation for why gimmick-heavy wrestlers are actually wrestling?

I find it pretty jarring when JR talks about Kane being a demon from the depths of hell, when said demon—instead of ending all life on Earth—instead chooses to pursue a career for a championship title in a regulated sport.

It's pro wrestling. You got to make some concessions.

He had Daddy issues, and his Father just so happened to work in the Sports Entertainment industry, so it was only natural he chose a path within it to gain his Father's love and respect. Then he killed him.

RP912

Banned
In what way was it obvious? Retroactively its easy to say its obvious but it was shocking because I thought Vince had his head so far up Romans ass he would stick to his visión,

Vince may be out of touch and ultra pro Reigns but dude got common sense. Reigns was getting shatted on and receiving no reaction throughout the entire Road to Wrestlemania. For him to win the belt that night would be a mess and a half,

With guys like Kane, you can just justify it by saying pro wrestling provides them an environment that not only allows but encourages them to act on their violent, sadistic urges.

Top Bottom