• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

It's possible to like something and still have complaints about it.

Of course, it's no good being in an echo chamber of fanboys, but it's also the same people with the same complaints about things that just aren't going to change! The Okada thing for instance, I only brought it up because there were people on my twitter timeline who a) actually wanted Fale to win and b) didn't see the end of the AJ/Okada storyline being 'Okada gets his belt back', but rather 'Okada loses and just gives up, so Naito/Shibata can get a chance'.

You would think the time period prior to G1/Wrestle Kingdom/BOSJ would be where they say 'ok let's try some different stuff.'

There's always a lot of wheel spinning post-WK. They have the FantasticaMania tour, the New Japan Cup and the Super Jr's, which are all largely meaningless in the grand scale of things. It's mostly about setting up for the G1, to my mind.

I want to be excited about G1, but that's hard when WK9 basically said, 'Here's the ending to G1 2015 - Okada or Tanahashi will win'

If Okada beats AJ at Dontaku and goes into the G1 as champion, I could perhaps see Tanahashi winning it (if only to finally give Okada the rub at the Tokyo Dome), but I think Nakamura or Shibata would be more likely. Naito, as well. While everyone's been focussed on the obstacles Okada has had to overcome, Okada IS Naito's obstacle and it'd be great to see him defeat Okada for the title on the grandest stage.

strobogo

Banned
Super Jrs last year was trash. What was the point of giving it to a dude who they didn't use for the rest of the year? But match wise...trash.

Super Jrs last year was trash. What was the point of giving it to a dude who they didn't use for the rest of the year? But match wise...trash.

They were trying to sign Ricochet to a contract, winning the Super Jr's was probably (wasted) incentive, but I guess they thought that even if he didn't sign they'd at least get a great Ricochet/Ibushi match out of it. And yeah, last year's was a bit of disappointment - they said they want this year's to be bigger than the others, in terms of the number of participants, so we'll see how that plays out.

I'd like to see them make the Super Jr's a real international tournament again, bring in the best high flyers from Japan, Europe and North America and let them go at it.

bjork

Are there any Baba matches where it doesn't look like a dad selling for his toddler, but in reverse? I've only seen a handful and it's strange to me.

strobogo

Banned
Are there any Baba matches where it doesn't look like a dad selling for his toddler, but in reverse? I've only seen a handful and it's strange to me.

Most anything you can find of him from the late 60s-mid 70s. He was legit for a while there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Naito has one foot in that Goto grave. And because I'm a fan, I'm probably being generous. At this point, he's basically Goto, and I'd be really surprised if he wins the title ever. Shibata losing the tag titles immediately did say to me, 'Maybe they're grooming him for the main title.'

But I think the more likely situation is Okada wins the title and Tanahashi wins G1 since he hasn't won it since 2007. The only other two people I see in the realm of possibility of winning that title this year are Shibata or Suzuki. And since NJPW/NOAH work together now, they would have to book a way for Suzuki to lose the GHC title while still looking strong so he can show up at NJPW and win the IWGP title. I only see Naito winning the title at this point if there's a drastic influx of young fans for him or if Tanahashi retires.

The real fact of the matter is Yano has pinned the 7 time Heavyweight champion and that should mean a lot more about a title shot than pinning Bad Luck Fale.

They have access to the NOAH roster now though. So they could do a lot more.
Course, if they gave the other guy the victory it would have just been 'They gave the junior championship who doesn't want to be a junior anymore.'

I find Baba best digested in picture form
tumblr_m9cj1rs82J1rq5iico1_400.jpg

tumblr_n2ydi0Osd61rq9aato1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2y9smdGYB1rq9aato1_1280.jpg

jred2k

With how successful Devitt was it's strange NJ doesn't have any Europeans. I don't follow European wrestling enough to know who would be a good fit, but I have to imagine there is someone more deserving of a roster spots that Gallows, for instance. It would be nice to see someone more interesting that Shelley going after the jr belt too even though I know he and Omega will have a good match. Motor city garbage. Ewwww stinky!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
With how successful Devitt was it's strange NJ doesn't have any Europeans. I don't follow European wrestling enough to know who would be a good fit, but I have to imagine there is someone more deserving of a roster spots that Gallows, for instance. It would be nice to see someone more interesting that Shelley going after the jr belt too even though I know he and Omega will have a good match. Motor city garbage. Ewwww stinky!

NOAH already got the European/Australians

Devitt's wrestling isn't really all that European though. He's basically just 'kind of weird looking but also good looking white dude'. That's AJ for them now.
tumblr_nirrmrDt651rq5iico1_540.jpg

What's the story behind this? This reminds me of last night I was walking by a tattoo parlor, and everyone getting tatted seemed to be going through some sort of midlife crisis.

Also about Japanese wrassling, where do I start? Seems like you guys really enjoy it as opposed to being baffled by it most of the time ala WWE. I recently became friends with a Japanese classmate and made the mistake of asking someone in the real world if they liked wrestling (Japanese wrestling in his case). #deadgiveaway

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the story behind this? This reminds me of last night I was walking by a tattoo parlor, and everyone getting tatted seemed to be going through some sort of midlife crisis.

Also about Japanese wrassling, where do I start? Seems like you guys really enjoy it as opposed to being baffled by it most of the time ala WWE. I recently became friends with a Japanese classmate and made the mistake of asking someone in the real world if they liked wrestling (Japanese wrestling in his case). #deadgiveaway

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944164
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961015

NJPW is probably the most approachable Japanese wrestling promotion, and the NJPW World OT gives a good place to start. Usually I always find wrestlers I like and look for more matches with them which leads you to discovering new guys you like. If you want something faster paced with a little more comedy, Dragon Gate is the go to choice. DDT if you want something even more comedy based and light hearted. I wouldn't recommend looking at Zero-1, BJW, or AJPW until you know that Japanese wrestling is something you really like as they don't have as many of the strong characters as a NJPW or Dragon Gate.

XenoRaven

I think it was mentioned earlier but AJ Lee tattooed the date she won her first Diva's title on the back of her neck. Alex Riley s saying he wants to get the date that AJ left the company tattooed on his neck.

Thanks Data, I'll probably wait till NJPW next PPV to get into it, since it seems like the one that gets talked about the most.

Ha, so what's this Riley's axe to grind with AJ?

I think it was mentioned earlier but AJ Lee tattooed the date she won her first Diva's title on the back of her neck. Alex Riley s saying he wants to get the date that AJ left the company tattooed on his neck.
He sounds kinda like a petty asshole. Didn't he get mad at something else previously? Tweeted some dumb stuff out like this occasion.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone was trying to talk trash about LT vs Bam Bam.

Stro, I think you're right about wrestling fans not knowing how to have fun.

strobogo

Banned
Someone was trying to talk trash about LT vs Bam Bam.

Stro, I think you're right about wrestling fans not knowing how to have fun.

I'm quite confident this is the case. I believe that most wrestling fans who post on the internet about it watch to have things to complain about, not to enjoy the show. They just want shit to be mad about. This is most evident with WM31, with people mad about Sting/HHH and then being mad at the main event because it didn't go the way they thought it was going to go, which is the way they DIDN'T want it to go in the first place. Then they made up an 8 month long story arc to prove they didn't get worked and then got mad over the idea of that as well. Wrassle fans are dumb dumbs, by and large. Heel and Dream are right to treat them with disdain.

Basically:
Zrv9pb8.gif
to all you haters

Sanjuro

The WWE should meet the needs of what the internet tells me I should like creatively. In no way shape or form, should the WWE attempt to deliver a product which follows a generally more investing experience.

bjork

I have to admit, I liked wrestling more before I ever got on the internet. There's been more exposure to stuff and I've seen a ton of great stuff since then, but on the whole I don't think I've ever been as into it as I was back then.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only thing wrong about LT vs Bam Bam was the fact that Bam Bam was very clearly the face and no one got that.
I got it Bam Bam.

I enjoy wrestling tremendously, even if I've been taking a break from it for awhile

Off-Topic:

The Force Unleashed games are by far my most disappointing experiences playing video games

notworksafe

There was a smark in front of me at WM that paid $250+ to bitch about how lame everything was, how no one could sell to his satisfaction, etc. So I agree some people just want to be upset and they've got no one but themselves to blame.

I have to admit, I liked wrestling more before I ever got on the internet. There's been more exposure to stuff and I've seen a ton of great stuff since then, but on the whole I don't think I've ever been as into it as I was back then.
If it wasn't for wrasslegaf, I wouldn't have gotten back into wrestling. But I don't want to go anywhere near the "IWC".

Sanjuro

I think that could be said about other passions as well, also age. Kind of desensitizing combination.

I enjoy Botchamania for the most part but I think that they have been super damaging to wrestling. Exporting the same jokes to the entire smark universe and making them think that any time a move doesn't look like the video game animation is a "botch".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Botchamania became an issue to me as soon as he started taking ads for it.

Like you're gonna profit off other peoples work? Really?

How much does WWE have to pay to get Angry Joe to feud with Alex Riley?

RP912

Banned
Lol at people turning on NJPW now.

I didn't receive this memo...NJPW still the shit in my eyes despite the flaws like most promotions tend to have...

on another note. I had a dream that NWA launched their stream and it was probably the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I'm talking about my son being born type of beautiful.

NoRéN

I enjoy Botchamania for the most part but I think that they have been super damaging to wrestling. Exporting the same jokes to the entire smark universe and making them think that any time a move doesn't look like the video game animation is a "botch".
There were these two dudes 4 rows behind me at wrestlemania who looked like they met for the first time there. Could not stop with the smark play by play commentary. Any time a move wasn't pulled off cleanly, "oh, botchamania!", "we'll be seeing that one on botchamania", "that's a botch!"

It was weird hearing that out in the world.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NoRéN;158943469 said:
There were these two dudes 4 rows behind me at wrestlemania who looked like they met for the first time there. Could not stop with the smark play by play commentary. Any time a move wasn't pulled off cleanly, "oh, botchamania!", "we'll be seeing that one on botchamania", "that's a botch!"

It was weird hearing that out in the world.

I ddn't know these people existed in real life.
He is using other people's work, but he's also doing work himself.

I mean Foley's doing work when he rips off fan designs for his shirts too

NoRéN

I ddn't know these people existed in real life.
I'm telling you, it was weird. the best way I can describe them is... You know that dude that lingers at GameStop for too long? either trying to talk video games with the employees or giving their unwanted opinion to people waiting in line to pay, hair disheveled with patchy facial hair? And damn were they loud.

Top Bottom