• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Fintan

How much can you guys see the Divas/Women's division improving between now and the next Wrestlemania? Will some of the NXT women being called up make a big difference?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's the real AJ who needs thanking.
#thankyouajfortakingthetitleoffokada
What am I thanking other AJ for?

I'm not sure. I guess thank you for your time in the ring.

I don't really know why else though. She didn't change what a Diva was. She didn't promote feminism or make things fairer to women in WWE at all. In fact, she went along with (and it's work, so...som,etimes you do shit you don't want to) a huge angle where she was painted as hysterical and crazy, things shitty dudes do to women instead of let them behave like in real life, which is just as rationally.

She didn't push anything forward. She achieved her dream at the time, and it's over now, so there you go.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not sure. I guess thank you for your time in the ring.

I don't really know why else though. She didn't change what a Diva was. She didn't promote feminism or make things fairer to women in WWE at all. In fact, she went along with (and it's work, so...som,etimes you do shit you don't want to) a huge angle where she was painted as hysterical and crazy, things shitty dudes do to women instead of let them behave like in real life, which is just as rationally.

She didn't push anything forward. She achieved her dream at the time, and it's over now, so there you go.
She also had that promo where she slut shamed Nikki and talked about talent not being sexually transmitted
Where was #ThankYouJTG? :/
How much can you guys see the Divas/Women's division improving between now and the next Wrestlemania? Will some of the NXT women being called up make a big difference?

Nope. There's plenty of women in the active roster right now that can wrestle. Doesn't make a difference. People thought Emma and Paige would change things. Sasha's just as doomed as they are.

Probably not. How much growth and improvement can you expect when the entire division is given like 5 minutes of ring time each week? The WWE has conditioned their viewers to consider Divas little more than eye candy.

Kaladin

The women need a different agent on the main roster.

Bring up Sara Del Rey to work on Raw and you might see a difference, I say might because it would take both her and Triple H to push for women's wrestling to get more time, which is really what it needs.

Otherwise, you won't see them have much change on the main roster.

strobogo

Banned
Probably not. How much growth and improvement can you expect when the entire division is given like 5 minutes of ring time each week? The WWE has conditioned their viewers to consider Divas little more than eye candy.

They can be reconditioned. They've been reconditioned in NXT and it didn't even take long. Fans were reconditioned to PG and a much safer, less wild, bloodless work style. Fans can always be reconditioned if you put effort into it. Any time women matches DO go over a couple of minutes, the crowds get into it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a question of time, not talent - women's division has talent, they just don't get a chance to show it.

We've seen mini-breakthroughs on Main Event, etc - when they are given time. Vince will get back to his old way of thinking - women's wrestling can draw money, he just got enamored with how easy it was in the Attitude Era and needs to go back to his old way of thinking. His attendance at the NXT event should smarten him up.

JavyOO7

I still love Pillman vs Johnny B Badd at Wargames 1995 I think? #1 contender for the US championship I think. I thought the match up was going to be pure caca but it ended up being pretty good. And almost 30 minutes too...

Fintan

Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree that it seems like the presentation of the women's wrestling is the problem. I don't think people are inherently against getting into it. Hopefully they figure it out.

Obviously not the biggest deal, but do you guys think they would benefit from changing the name from Divas to just Women's division?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree that it seems like the presentation of the women's wrestling is the problem. I don't think people are inherently against getting into it. Hopefully the figure it out.

Obviously not the biggest deal, but do you guys think they would benefit from changing the name from Divas to just Women's division?

I don't think it'll make a difference, but I do think that adjustment is in the mail and will happen naturally.

strobogo

Banned
It's a question of time, not talent - women's division has talent, they just don't get a chance to show it.

We've seen mini-breakthroughs on Main Event, etc - when they are given time. Vince will get back to his old way of thinking - women's wrestling can draw money, he just got enamored with how easy it was in the Attitude Era and needs to go back to his old way of thinking. His attendance at the NXT event should smarten him up.

There is only upside to giving the women time to work. Creating more stars for people to get attached to, to get attention, and get merch for.

Heroman

Banned
Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree that it seems like the presentation of the women's wrestling is the problem. I don't think people are inherently against getting into it. Hopefully the figure it out.

Unless they change how to handle them, a name change won't do shit.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I agree that it seems like the presentation of the women's wrestling is the problem. I don't think people are inherently against getting into it. Hopefully they figure it out.

Yes they should rebrand it, people like new stuff. In fact ape UFC and call it the bantamweight division.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is only upside to giving the women time to work. Creating more stars for people to get attached to, to get attention, and get merch for.

Yup. It makes no sense to ignore that demographic. It's tough to market your male stars towards female viewers compared to how you can market to women directly. Lots of money left on the table. Bayley's gonna get that cash.

JavyOO7

Hmm, the ladies on the main roster only get time on Main Event. They could also get time on RAW but the creative direction is very inefficient with its use of 3 hours. When it gets more efficient then the ladies may get somewhere.

Fintan

Yup. It makes no sense to ignore that demographic. It's tough to market your male stars towards female viewers compared to how you can market to women directly. Lots of money left on the table. Bayley's gonna get that cash.
I'm curious, are there stats out there on what percentage of WWE viewers are women? Is it 50%? As you say, seems like a large demographic to ignore.

I think the women's matches being televised on Raw have been pretty good lately, would even say the the wrestlemania tag match was pretty sub par compared to them.

She also had that promo where she slut shamed Nikki and talked about talent not being sexually transmitted
Where was #ThankYouJTG? :/

1. promos are scripted
2. JTG's cool and great, but he would still be here if he hadn't picked up his phone, plus he caused the timer to go to 0 on the site keeping track of how long he was employed. What am I thanking JTG for, ruining a site-runner's life? Him being free to do what he likes now instead of sell a joke finish from a guy with a unibrow?

PS that homophobe's giving Okada his win and belt back. Hopefully afterwards he gives Mrs. Brooks her initials back too

Heroman

Banned
They do market to them , it called total divas in wwe eyes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious, are there stats out there on what percentage of WWE viewers are women? Is it 50%? As you say, seems like a large demographic to ignore.

Here's some 2014 numbers just based on Raw viewership. Scary seeing the median age. Things may be different this year, however:

Here is a recent TV breakdown of viewership for WWE’s Raw, Smackdown, and Total Divas, courtesy of The Wrestling Observer.

* The average viewer (for the three shows) is 41.4 years old. The report indicates that viewership is getting older instead of younger.

* Audience viewership is 63% male. Total Divas skews number down a bit because it would be closer to 68% for just Raw and Smackdown.

* The viewership for three shows is less than 19% under the age of 17. 22% of the viewership is between 18 and 34, and 22% between 35 and 49. 37% is over the age of 50.

strobogo

Banned
They'll never drop divas. It's an incredibly marketing name for them.

I think they can keep the Divas name for branding and merch, but call the title the Women's Championship again. That's what they do in NXT and it seems to have worked out just fine. A title that doesn't look like a tramp stamp would be nice, too.

Kaladin

I think they can keep the Divas name for branding and merch, but call the title the Women's Championship again. That's what they do in NXT and it seems to have worked out just fine. A title that doesn't look like a tramp stamp would be nice, too.

I love how the Women's Championship looks on Sasha Banks. It actually looks like a fashion piece, like a legit belt when she wears it around her waist to the ring.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I'm just going to put this out here.

There's Japanese womens wrestling that is taken seriously, and they don't draw near the female fans that mens wrestling do, so that might not be entirely true. Like Io Shirai isn't going to move more merch with girls than Naito-kuuuuuun

Sephzilla

It's not just from you. It's also from the WM 31 thread and the Ronda/Steph thread. It's like wrestling fans just don't want fun shit to happen anymore. Or continuity has to make perfect sense. People complaining about the nWo helping Sting at WM and shit.
Oh come on. The nWo coming out to help their mortal enemy makes no sense. Also doesn't make sense that one half of the kliq would fight the other after they all hugged and shit the night before at the hall of fame. I didn't hate it (I marked actually just cuz it was cool to see them) but it didn't make sense.

as a wrestling fan I'm willing to have a lot of suspension of disbelief, buy Steph vs Rousey breaks it for me. It's the female equivalent of Brock Lesnar vs David Arquette. I have no way of believing Steph could hold her own in the ring against Rhonda in any remote sense nor do I think it would be any fun to watch. Steph was always fucking awful when she got into the ring in her younger days and the only reason she looked remotely okay at Summerslam was because Brie Bella is the worst active woman on the main roster when it comes to ring work.

Instead of wasting Rhonda on Steph, just have her go up against J&J Security or something and have Steph manage them. It would be a more fun match and Rhonda would throw them around more than Steph I think.

Fintan

Strobogo, you were saying that you think Rousey will retire by 30 and might do some wrestling stuff after that. How involved do you think she'll be?Just Mania matches? Do you think she could work as a Brock Lesnar figure for the women's division? Dominant, hold the title for a long time, occasional appearances etc.

Strobogo, you were saying that you think Rousey will retire by 30 and might do some wrestling stuff after that. How involved do you think she'll be?Just Mania matches? Do you think she could work as a Brock Lesnar figure for the women's division? Dominant, hold the title for a long time, occasional appearances etc.
she's is a big fan, she would defiantly do a limited appearance , probably mania only.

She would plenary do PWG full time tho

strobogo

Banned
Oh come on. The nWo coming out to help their mortal enemy makes no sense. Also doesn't make sense that one half of the kliq would fight the other after they all hugged and shit the night before at the hall of fame.

as a wrestling fan I'm willing to have a lot of suspension of disbelief, buy Steph vs Rousey breaks it for me. It's the female equivalent of Brock Lesnar vs David Arquette. I have no way of believing Steph could hold her own in the ring against Rhonda in any remote sense nor do I think it would be any fun to watch. Steph was always fucking awful when she got into the ring in her younger days and the only reason she looked remotely okay at Summerslam was because Brie Bella is the worst active woman on the main roster when it comes to ring work.

Man shit. All you have to do is say, "Well nWo was WCW and they're still on their side of the war". I mean, Sting joined the Wolfpac, teamed with Hogan and Nash after that. Just go with the Monday Night War shit. HOF is non-cannon. Daniel Bryan came out and flat out said everything was fake. Last year, Kane gave a long completely out of character speech and then Paul Bearer's real sons accepted the award. Using the HOF as an excuse is nonsense. It's weird to me how many people are using selective "can't suspend disbelief for that" lately after watching this stuff for most of their lives.

She's a super mark so I could see her working as often as they'd let her.

Heroman

Banned
Woman wrestling isn't big enough to have a Brock lesnar type. Also she would to a nature like Brock was/is in order to boost it.

Sephzilla

Man shit. All you have to do is say, "Well nWo was WCW and they're still on their side of the war". I mean, Sting joined the Wolfpac, teamed with Hogan and Nash after that. Just go with the Monday Night War shit. HOF is non-cannon. Daniel Bryan came out and flat out said everything was fake. Last year, Kane gave a long completely out of character speech and then Paul Bearer's real sons accepted the award. Using the HOF as an excuse is nonsense.
The WCW thing doesn't really hold up either though since the nWo wanted to end WCW.

And the kliq has been uses for canon story stuff too.

I'm not overly critical of the Sting vs HHH match though because it was good despite parts not making sense. Something I doubt Steph vs Rousey would be able to do.

Fintan

My friends who only watch Mania/Rumble every year, and only had a vague understanding of the history, enjoyed Triple H-Sting the most along with the main event. It was just really fun, I thought. I didn't think about it that much.

strobogo

Banned
The WCW thing doesn't really hold up either though since the nWo wanted to end WCW.

And the kliq has been uses for canon story stuff too.

I'm not overly critical of the Sting vs HHH match though because it was good despite parts not making sense. Something I doubt Steph vs Rousey would be able to do.

So what. Nothing makes sense in wrestling. Anything that has ever happened to the Undertaker or Kane should be enough to just go with things.

all of stings real close friends and allies in wcw are like, in no shape to be near a ring like luger. or dead.

or they're like in some sexual assault hot water thing like scott steiner or something.

Sephzilla

It's about the same as getting upset at comics when a book runs 30 years and doesn't have the strictest of continuities by year 30.
There's a difference between minor inconsistencies and big continuity issues. The nWo helping Sting is a big one. It's like Joker helping Batman.

¡HarlequinPanic!;159000604 said:
all of stings real close friends and allies in wcw are like, in no shape to be near a ring like luger. or dead.

or they're like in some sexual assault hot water thing like scott steiner or something.

Could have brought out RoboCop.

Fintan

I think for most people, my viewing group included, it was enough that the big WCW group was helping the WCW guy and the big WWE group was helping the WWE guy.

Rewatched the main event from Invasion Attack. Really interested they are planting the seeds for a possible Omega vs Styles match for the title. A Lot of direction they can go with it.

Heroman

Banned

But what Scott hall , he shouldn't be near the ring.

Robocop is none of these things, however.

robocop at the same event as the terminator without some all out war breaking out. NERAH, not likely. Have any of you fools even HEARD of robocop vs. terminator?! *snort, laugh,pushes glasses up bridge of nose*

I'd like Rousey to have the old Beth Phoenix role: completely dominant, but not so much that every match is lop-sided. Full-blown heel, but not a chicken-shit one. They could even redo the angle with Phoenix/Mickey, where the latter finally wins after a fierce match.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think it should have been the four horseman and they should have turned on Stang. Flair, Anderson, Malenko, and someone else alive.

As for actual buddies you have Luger, Booker T, Dusty Rhodes.

Top Bottom