• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Recall

So what are some of the better Wrestling books out there? I'm sort of after a biography or at least a book covering a period without being filled with bullshit. Thanks for any suggestions.

So what are some of the better Wrestling books out there? I'm sort of after a biography or at least a book covering a period without being filled with bullshit. Thanks for any suggestions.

I liked Foley's first book, as well as Jericho's. I liked Jericho's 2nd book too, but that one has a lot less wrestling than the average fan likes.

I've enjoyed:

Edge's
Stone Cold's
Bischoff's

However there does seem to be a bit of bullshit in Bischoff's book.

Also, I can't believe no one took time to add on that essay of thought about 2002 WWE I posted last night. Bastards.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

The Wrestling by Simon Garfield is a good one focusing on 60s and 70s for British Wrestling.

Say Uncle!: Catch-As-Catch-Can Wrestling and the Roots of Ultimate Fighting, Pro Wrestling & Modern Grappling . It's a mix of both what Catch-as-catch-can is and how it's done, but has some nice stories from a lot of wrestlers across the years.

The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling by David Shoemaker. It has some errors in it, which I believe will be fixed in a new version, but a generally fun and enjoyable grand summary of wrestling in United States by someone who really loves and enjoys wrestling.

Andre The Giant: Life And Legend by Box Brown. It's a comic book biography of André the Giant. It's by no means in depth, but it's really quite nice.

Also, I can't believe no one took time to add on that essay of thought about 2002 WWE I posted last night. Bastards.

I only just got on! I haven't had a time to read any of it yet.

Hasney

I think we need a Russo book. It'll be entertaining, I would just fear for people working in bookshops trying to decide if it should be in fiction or factual.

Kaladin

I think we need a Russo book. It'll be entertaining, I would just fear for people working in bookshops trying to decide if it should be in fiction or factual.

51CTeRFgobL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I have clearly forgotten most of the finer details of 2002 WWE. I recall all the big points, but I had to look up why Angle was bald, Tommy Dreamer throwing up, how the hell Bubba Ray Dudly wasn't in a tag team, and so forth. So thanks for bringing all that up Mr. Luchador.

I'm really glad though look backing on it how they got to Angle vs Hogan and what it was for in the overall McMahn and Hogan feud (even if that ended so abruptly). I imagine it could have been so much worse had they waited a bit longer until we got Mr. America and they try to "out-American" each other.

strobogo

Banned
I have clearly forgotten most of the finer details of 2002 WWE. I recall all the big points, but I had to look up why Angle was bald, Tommy Dreamer throwing up, how the hell Bubba Ray Dudly wasn't in a tag team, and so forth. So thanks for bringing all that up Mr. Luchador.

I'm really glad though look backing on it how they got to Angle vs Hogan and what it was for in the overall McMahn and Hogan feud (even if that ended so abruptly). I imagine it could have been so much worse had they waited a bit longer until we got Mr. America and they try to "out-American" each other.

That sounds pretty fun to me. Bringing out bigger guns and bigger eagles and stuff.

I'm not even sure why Tommy Dreamer is eating random crap and throwing up into buckets, it just started to happen one day.

The Angle/Hogan feud is fun to watch as it's happened 'organically', and the way they've crossfaded Hogan out of his feud with The Undertaker and into Angle has been fun to watch too. I miss this kind of storytelling where things aren't just forgotten after a PPV and a wrestler might have 2 or 3 different mini stories on the go.

He was very proud of his heritage suit and didn't want to draw attention to it. He wanted the suit to speak for itself as a proud working man.

What job did his grandfather work at? If it was anything fancier than a steel mill worker, then I won't believe another word that comes out of Dusty's mouth.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Catching up on NXT, dunno if its a good thing or bad thing that EVERYONE is after the belt.

Logically that's where they all want to be but it's strange from a feud point of view. Might be inline for an elimination tournament.

Kaladin

Catching up on NXT, dunno if its a good thing or bad thing that EVERYONE is after the belt.

Logically that's where they all want to be but it's strange from a feud point of view. Might be inline for an elimination tournament.

It's perfect for a guy like Kevin Owens who talks big about fighting anyone, any time and doing anything he can to keep the championship and the bigger payday he gets for his family.

Striker

There's a difference between minor inconsistencies and big continuity issues. The nWo helping Sting is a big one. It's like Joker helping Batman.
Throughout the match, you had to think that was where they were going. JBL and Cole were both constantly degrading WCW and how Sting was a minnow in a small pond, and how he's here! In the Atlantic Ocean! Where the big fish play. Or something.

It was absolutely annoying to watch a while because of it. I mean, WWE owns the WCW property and at their own convenience, they pimp WCW footage or popularity. But here, when you finally have Sting at last, you crap on it and basically tell everybody his accomplishments mean nothing.

The overbooking stuff was fine, no issue with it or how canon it was. The story heading in was downright awful, so of course it was all over the place. But Sting had zero business losing in his debut match at the biggest show of the year. I see some mention, "Well it's pushing Triple H toward The Rock/Rousey!", all in while avoiding the situation where Sting faces the Undertaker next year. Triple H is a heel, he can take losses any time and it will never hurt him. It was beyond stupid and a total Vince/Triple H ego trip.

How did Shane Douglas have such a long career? I'm not saying it was long and successful, but he was around for decades. I've never found him interesting, I was wondering if other people enjoyed his work/have I missed something.

How did Shane Douglas have such a long career? I'm not saying it was long and successful, but he was around for decades. I've never found him interesting, I was wondering if other people enjoyed his work/have I missed something.

I mean, most pro wrestlers have long careers because they just keep going. As for Douglas, the guy ping pinged between wwf, wcw, and of course ECW all throughout the 90s. If I had to guess it has something to do with his ecw success most of all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sting looking like a pack of Fruit Stripe gum. What a great look.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dontaku card:

NJPW “WRESTLING DONTAKU 2015“, 5/3/2015 [Sun] @ Fukuoka Kokusai Center

(1) Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & Mascara Dorada vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Captain New Japan, Ryusuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA
(2) Tetsuya Naito & Sho Tanaka vs. Kota Ibushi & Yohei Komatsu
(3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Cody Hall

(4) IWGP Jr. Tag Championship 3WAY Match: [41st Champions] Rocky Romero & Barreta vs. [Challengers] Matt & Nick Jackson vs. [Challengers] Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly

(5) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [70th Champion] Kenny Omega vs. [Challenger] Alex Shelley
~ 3rd title defense.

(6) Special 6 Person Tag Match: Mike Bennett, Matt Taven & Maria Kanellis vs. Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Amber Gallows
(7) Special 6 Man Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba
(8) Special Tag Match: AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI

(9) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [10th Champion] Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [Challenger] Hirooki Goto
~ 4th title defense.

FyreWulff

There's a difference between minor inconsistencies and big continuity issues. The nWo helping Sting is a big one. It's like Joker helping Batman.

Devil's advocate time.

The current nWo Hogan was brought in to kill the WWE. So technically, nWo Hogan makes perfect sense as to why he'd help Sting - he's still anti-WWE and therefore would be on "WCW"'s side in this match.

It also makes sense why DX would help the McMahon family now, they've been gradually booked as corporate lackeys instead of the rebels they once were for a couple of years now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure we all agree, but it'll be fun seeing Omega x Ibushi OTP happening in a glorious moment.
tumblr_nmcy3wqvc91skeohxo2_500.png

Surfer Sting may actually be my first memory of seeing wrasslin' on the tv. he looked bright and happy and was really strong, I knew about hulk hogan but comparitively I thought hogan was scary looking with his really animated faces and the bald head with silken curtains.

RP912

Banned
Smh thanks for ruining my day with exposing Dusty as a carny :(. Maybe the Horsemen beatdowns were for a reason. Dudes were trying to expose the hypocrisy of Dusty.

RP912

Banned
I don't understand WWE for making it seem like Sting was wrestling in gyms and goodwills...when his name ring bells throughout the world even to this day. That's the thing that really pissed me off about that match was the commentary. You could tell Vince was blowing his load throughout the Gorilla turning the match into "herr derr WCW SUCKS".

Top Bottom