• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

kiguel182

It makes me wonder if a lot wrestlers are intimidated by the mystique and grandeur of Daniel Bryan. Like when they know Bryan is Yessing and setting up for the running knee they lose a grasp on all of their hard training and preparation, becoming paralyzed with fear. These sort of mind games really kinda make Daniel Bryan a modern take on the Undertaker imo

It would be more similar to Michaels "warming up the band" where his opponent would get up at the sound said "warming up".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It makes me wonder if a lot wrestlers are intimidated by the mystique and grandeur of Daniel Bryan. Like when they know Bryan is Yessing and setting up for the running knee they lose a grasp on all of their hard training and preparation, becoming paralyzed with fear. These sort of mind games really kinda make Daniel Bryan a modern take on the Undertaker imo

Tuning up the Band as well. Anyone with ears could tell it was coming.

Same kinda logic with the pre-knee Yessing that applies to HBK LOUDLY STOMPING HIS FOOT BEFORE KICKING GUYS IN THE FACE. The logic is that guys are too weary to do anything about it even if they know what's coming.

Vylash

Speaking of, Bryan tends to drop his guard completely during a flying knee. He's just asking to be countered by a seasoned striker, such as The Undertaker.

don't forget the most devastating finisher in the WWE, Big Show's The Knockout Punch

Tetsuya-Naito-645x321.png

7637%20-%20facepalm%20stone_cold_steve_austin%20survivor_series%20wwe.png

Heel

In the fight game, auras are made to be shattered. It takes a special athlete to peel back that mystique. This starts with preparation, though. They should be studying the tape and looking for these holes in his game. Hear chanting? Roll out of the ring or load up on an overhand counter, man.

I actually love this finisher along with the lore behind it.

It's so bad. It's so fucking bad.

Big Show is the most unappealing wrestler on the entire roster, I'm sorry. I just refuse to watch him. At least Kane you could maybe salvage by making him a monster again with the mask and all, but Big Show's look is just "giant ugly baby I'm supposed to take seriously" and fuuuuuck that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's so bad. It's so fucking bad.

Big Show is the most unappealing wrestler on the entire roster, I'm sorry. I just refuse to watch him. At least Kane you could maybe salvage by making him a monster again with the mask and all, but Big Show's look is just "giant ugly baby I'm supposed to take seriously" and fuuuuuck that.

I don't like or hate show myself. I just love the finisher and why he uses it.

kiguel182

Are we forgetting the hypothesis of hypnosis?

Michaels commands his opponent to stand up using the rhythm of his stomps. He then taught Bryan to do the same since he was his teacher.

Honestly, it all adds up.

I should really watch more NWA/WCW from around that time - because beyond a few clips, I haven't seen much of it.

I've been slogging through all the WCW major shows on the network in chronological order, because I never did either (I didn't have TBS growing up so I couldn't follow the product, and didn't until Nitro hit TNT which I did have). I'm closing out 1993 right now and it has been utterly terrible, but I'm coming up on a pretty good run from Starrcade 93 to Spring Stampede 94, until it gets utterly ruined by the beginning of the Hogan era.

In the fight game, auras are made to be shattered. It takes a special athlete to peel back that mystique. This starts with preparation, though. They should be studying the tape and looking for these holes in his game. Hear chanting? Roll out of the ring or load up on an overhand counter, man.
Bryan has been savvy ring vets like Dolph Ziggler and Wade Barrett, are you suggesting that they don't do their homework?

You have to remember that D.Brine and Kane helped out the Undertaker, so he probably gave Brine some tips regarding psychological warfare in the squared circle.

strobogo

Banned
I've been slogging through all the WCW major shows on the network in chronological order, because I never did either (I didn't have TBS growing up so I couldn't follow the product, and didn't until Nitro hit TNT which I did have). I'm closing out 1993 right now and it has been utterly terrible, but I'm coming up on a pretty good run from Starrcade 93 to Spring Stampede 94, until it gets utterly ruined by the beginning of the Hogan era.

What shitty cable system did you have that had TNT and not TBS? I've never heard of that.

kiguel182

It's pretty great how TNA gives the tag team devision champs a 10 minute promo. I mean, the Wolves aren't the great ever but they are booked as champs and it gives them way more credibility.

It's so much better than the throwaway matches WWE gives their teams every week.

FyreWulff

I actually went and checked the hitbox data, HBK is totally broken

3BIeXL5.png

Most broken stunframes in WWE history. What's worse is that Cena's animations all ignore them.

Zach

You watching the Clashes, too?

And what did you think about SuperBrawl III and Beach Blast '93?

Toki767

I actually went and checked the hitbox data, HBK is totally broken

3BIeXL5.png

Most broken stunframes in WWE history. What's worse is that Cena's animations all ignore them.

What you fail to realize beforehand is that HBK was directly next to a prone HHH. Then they each teleported to their respective corners to set up for the Sweet Chin Music.

You have to remember that D.Brine and Kane helped out the Undertaker, so he probably gave Brine some tips regarding psychological warfare in the squared circle.
I think the more important lesson Bryan learned from the Undertaker is that you can spend nearly a year on the couch and rube fans will still want to put you in a showcase match at Super Bowl of Wrestling

What shitty cable system did you have that had TNT and not TBS? I've never heard of that.

Cablevision in upstate NY, we got about 30 channels. We switched over to Time Warner Cable in late 1996 (the night after Starrcade 96, in fact), and that's when we got TBS and I could watch Saturday Night, Pro, and Main Event.

You watching the Clashes, too?

And what did you think about SuperBrawl III and Beach Blast '93?

Yup, all of the Clashes where they fit in chronologically.

Superbrawl 3 was pretty meh, I dug the Windham/Muta match for the NWA title but other than that it was lame. Also I hate strap matches. Also, isn't the point of a "lights out" match is that there are no rules? So why the fuck have the stupid fucking drag-your-opponent-too-all-four-corners rule still in effect?

Beach Blast was also pretty bad, outside of the Hollywood Blondes being awesome. Windham/Flair was a far cry from their previous matches and had a horribly botched finish, and the Iron Man Challenge between Rude and Dustin was boring as hell. Also: why the fuck do you build up this huge fucking gimmick match to find who deserves to be the US champ on PPV...and then it ends up being a draw, keeping the title vacant, and THEN do the rematch on free TV two months later where Dustin wins the title back anyway rendering the whole thing entirely pointless. That wacky WCW...or should I say, that wacky nepotistic Dusty.

strobogo

Banned
Yup, all of the Clashes where they fit in chronologically.

Superbrawl 3 was pretty meh, I dug the Windham/Muta match for the NWA title but other than that it was lame. Also I hate strap matches. Also, isn't the point of a "lights out" match is that there are no rules? So why the fuck have the stupid fucking drag-your-opponent-too-all-four-corners rule still in effect?

Beach Blast was also pretty bad, outside of the Hollywood Blondes being awesome. Windham/Flair was a far cry from their previous matches and had a horribly botched finish, and the Iron Man Challenge between Rude and Dustin was boring as hell. Also: why the fuck do you build up this huge fucking gimmick match to find who deserves to be the US champ on PPV...and then it ends up being a draw, keeping the title vacant, and THEN do the rematch on free TV two months later where Dustin wins the title back anyway rendering the whole thing entirely pointless. That wacky WCW...or should I say, that wacky nepotistic Dusty.

Wtf. That's literally the best strap match of all time. And Benoit/Scorp and Cactus/Orndorff are a lot of fun. And Beach Blast...WTF. Rude vs Dustin is great.

The infuriating thing is that he does just that from time to time.

I've studied WWE Lore and have solved the mystery here.
Big Show has to charge up his fighting spirit in order to channel his rage (heel) or sorrow (face) into his fist in order for it become knock out punch level, thus why he rarely starts off matches with it. Any match he does it early is either because his opponent is simply too jobberiffic or he immediately absorbs the fury of them running with frenzied reckless abandon into his fist (see Mark Henry at Survivor Series last year)
This explanation is flawless and fits in with the WWE Universe where an old biker man can shoot lightning, strike purely and gain magical kick out powers once a year.

I like how Big Show basically turned heel on that very return, turning just comes to him as naturally as breathing when he enters the squared circle.

He left because his back was really fucked up. Watch the main event of December 2 Dismember, or any of the ECW shows from that time period and you can see he was unbelievably fat and immobile. Him coming back much leaner and lasting as long as he has is amazing.

Top Bottom