• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Striker

Do you honestly believe Gail Kim sticking around would have changed anything? As long as old-school misogynists like Michael Hayes and Vinny Mac are at the back, women won't be allowed to develop the division or try to have legit matches on Raw.
Their knockout division has weakened by losses of Tara and Mickie (Kong as well but it's been a while), but it's been fairly solid overall for the past several years. Gail was able to get entertaining stuff out of Tiffany - out of all people. The ECW GM who sparingly wrestled if at all if I can remember any of it. She knows how the WWE's women's division works and yeah, I don't think she'd ever return. Last she was in there she was wrestling Melina and was having good matches on Superstars while she watched Raw and saw Kelly Kelly running the ropes like an idiot and winning by rollups outta nowhere. And the likes of Beth Phoenix jobbing to her.

strobogo

Banned
ihJ9MJqonyWRI.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Awesome red herring, dude.

I'd much rather wrestle on the C-show in front of thousands and sell a bunch of t-shirts than be on TNA and be the laughing stock of everyone wrestling in front of a small crowd for next to minimum wage with no merchandising sales.

And that's not counting the house shows WWE does that TNA doesn't.

Sblargh

Banned
All right, recommend me something, GAF.

Good recente indy women matches. The kind you would like to see on WWE without changing anything but production values and the removal of spots that can't be done there by anyone.

I'll accept good intergender matches, too, if they even exist.

Good recente indy women matches. The kind you would like to see on WWE without changing anything but production values and the removal of spots that can't be done there by anyone.

I've been enjoying the Candice & Joey tag team in PWG. Them vs the Young Bucks was good fun.

Jamie OD

Athena Vs Candice LaRae and Hikaru Shida Vs Evie from last weekend's Shimmer iPPV.

The entire show was alright live. I didn't like all of it and it felt like a B-show compared to their usual events but the card was still nicely booked. The early matches were short and to the point. Ivelisse Vs Kimber Lee was also good. The Cheerleader Melissa Vs LuFisto 2/3 Falls main event was too ambitious to pull off though. Usual flaw of having one fall end super quickly and thus making the stipulation feel like a waste of time. But yeah, the two matches I mention up top were the standouts.

Kaladin

I finally got around to the Daniel Bryan Journey To Wrestlemania documentary last night. I want more like this. Seriously. I loved that they acknowledged all of his history, they had a ton of backstage stuff and it was great.

Aiii

So not worth it
Paul Heyman is going to be on Stone Cold's podcast on Thursday. How the fuck does Austin keep coming up with amazing guests?

You mean, how does this guy that used to work for and be pretty good friends with Paul Heyman get Paul Heyman on his show?

I wonder.

You mean, how does this guy that used to work for and be pretty good friends with Paul Heyman get Paul Heyman on his show?

I wonder.

If that's what I wanted to know, I WOULD HAVE ASKED THAT. I don't need you assuming my line of questioning, Aiii.

But really it's more just a general question. Every great wrestling personality past and present seems to end up on his show at some point.

Hasney

All these silly old console war threads in gaming makes me realise how much a good wrasslin' game influences me. N64 wins on the basis of No Mercy, GC against XBox because of Day of Reckoning. 3D0 against Jaguar because... Er, well...

The point is, I need a good wrestling game in my life and 2K are going to drop the ball so hard.

jred2k

If that's what I wanted to know, I WOULD HAVE ASKED THAT. I don't need you assuming my line of questioning, Aiii.

But really it's more just a general question. Every great wrestling personality past and present seems to end up on his show at some point.

He's worked with most of them and the ones he hasn't still respect him. Plus he probably has a personal phone number for them so he doesn't have to go through publicists to get them.

It's hard for me to be excited about Jeff Jarrett's promotion because it's Jeff Jarrett's promotion. Plus, he and his wife will be very front and center in the whole thing.

Kaladin

It's hard for me to be excited about Jeff Jarrett's promotion because it's Jeff Jarrett's promotion. Plus, he and his wife will be very front and center in the whole thing.

Except Jeff Jarrett didn't run TNA into the ground, it was even fairly decent in the days when he was the forever champion. The company didn't start really going downhill till Dixie Carter took over and starting running it. Jeff Jarrett has a good mind on how to run a company, and I think his days of being the center of the show are done, he's probably just going to be in the "Vince" role if anything.

I'll take Karen Jarrett over Dixie Carter any day of the week.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not niether?

Except Jeff Jarrett didn't run TNA into the ground, it was even fairly decent in the days when he was the forever champion. The company didn't start really going downhill till Dixie Carter took over and starting running it. Jeff Jarrett has a good mind on how to run a company, and I think his days of being the center of the show are done, he's probably just going to be in the "Vince" role if anything.

That's all sounds nice, but pre-Dixie TNA still had issues. Not nearly as bad as TNA now, but it was hindered. I hope you are right that Jarrett takes a backseat. I'm just not sure that he will. I mean, the damn thing is, reportedly, starting with a reality show centered around he and his wife. Not exactly a promising start.

Speaking of Double J, lol;

http://www.examiner.com/article/jeff-jarrett-reported-altercation-at-iwa-mid-south-show

Jeff Jarrett in reported altercation at IWA Mid-South show

According to sources former NWA/TNA world champion Jeff Jarrett allegedly knocked the glasses of the son of IWA Mid-South promoter Ian Rotten after not getting his promised pay from the often embattled promoter.

Reports coming out of the promotion say Jarrett was given half his draw at the show and promised the remaining amount to be paid "in two to three days." This allegedly sent Jarrett into a rage where is he alleged to have been screaming and cursing at many in the locker room and then directed his rage against the 17 year old son of Rotten, John Calvin. Sources say Jarrett either slapped John Calvin and knocked his glasses off or snatched them off his face during his rant and attempted to "hold them hostage to the point of breaking them," before calming down.

"Jeff and Karen Jarrett were both intoxicated," promoter Ian Rotten said. "I have a locker room full of people to back me up on that."

One wrestler, who asked not to be identified, said Jarrett was "out of control" at one point and that Karen Jarrett was almost egging him on by threatening to go to the ring while wrestler Drake Younger was doing an interview to interrupt and "expose" Rotten.

"Jeff Jarrett will get his money in a couple of days as promised and he can use it for a defense attorney because I will be going to the sheriff tomorrow (Monday) to swear out a warrant for assault on a minor," Rotten said.

As word of this incident grows and if proven true and whether or not Rotten does eke out a criminal complaint, this kind of publicity is not what Jarrett's new Global Force Wrestling needs.

Alucard

Banned
I'd much rather wrestle on the C-show in front of thousands and sell a bunch of t-shirts than be on TNA and be the laughing stock of everyone wrestling in front of a small crowd for next to minimum wage with no merchandising sales.

And that's not counting the house shows WWE does that TNA doesn't.

Kim must be enjoying her work more at TNA. Different things motivate different people, and Kim said she just didn't like the treatment of women and women's wrestling in the WWE.

strobogo

Banned

You're wrong. Go back and watch the weekly PPVs and tell me those were fairly decent shows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ep5K9e0cA

Boots is gonna give you some Aja Kong though, hek hek hek

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qg_eP_BY0M

Kong is amazing.

Kaladin

You're wrong. Go back and watch the weekly PPVs and tell me those were fairly decent shows.

Those shows had the building blocks of a good promotion, and there are things you can still go back and watch on those shows. TNA started to really hit it's stride when it got Impact Wrestling and when it got the Spike TV deal. IMO, those were some good years.

JavyOO7

Watching episode 4 of RAW right now.

I couldn't watch that Brutus interview. Cringe worthy.
Watching Doink during this period is lovely.
Like so with Tatanka.
Same with Yokozuna. Or as stupid racist Hacksaw Jim Duggan said, "Yokozama". Or more eloquently, "Some japanese name, I dunno!"
Rob Bartlett is very cringe worthy still.
So is High Energy.
Watching this interview with IRS and Ted DiBiase is great.

strobogo

Banned
Those shows had the building blocks of a good promotion, and there are things you can still go back and watch on those shows. TNA started to really hit it's stride when it got Impact Wrestling and when it got the Spike TV deal. IMO, those were some good years.

Good things is not the same as a good show. Even WCW 2000 had some good things. But they were terrible shows. And those weekly PPVs were a fucking mess of territory booking mixed with Russo and SWERVES upon SWERVES and so many guys showing up once or twice and never again. Dixie was put in charge in 2003, so at best you have a year of shows without her and they weren't good. You can't say, "Well, Dixie's the problem" because the showed sucked before her and with her, but also had their best run with her in charge.

Sblargh

Banned
They should retire Superstars (poor Ziggler) and put a divas-only show in there for the Network. I fear this will make the RAW divas matches even worse, but what the hell, they need to give them some chance at good, long matches.

Otherwise, they could put a good Divas match on every Main Event, replace the pointless Raw recaps that happen again on Smackdown. It even makes Smackdown relevant as the only place where you can watch the recap of Monday Night`s RAW!

Edit - Oh man, I`m going to become a fan of Joshi, won`t I?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They should retire Superstars (poor Ziggler) and put a divas-only show in there for the Network. I fear this will make the RAW divas matches even worse, but what the hell, they need to give them some chance at good, long matches.

Otherwise, they could put a good Divas match on every Main Event, replace the pointless Raw recaps that happen again on Smackdown. It even makes Smackdown relevant as the only place where you can watch the recap of Monday Night`s RAW!

Edit - Oh man, I`m going to become a fan of Joshi, won`t I?

As long as you don't look at their brutal training, you will.

Kaladin

Good things is not the same as a good show. Even WCW 2000 had some good things. But they were terrible shows. And those weekly PPVs were a fucking mess of territory booking mixed with Russo and SWERVES upon SWERVES and so many guys showing up once or twice and never again. Dixie was put in charge in 2003, so at best you have a year of shows without her and they weren't good. You can't say, "Well, Dixie's the problem" because the showed sucked before her and with her, but also had their best run with her in charge.

I don't think Dixie was "in charge" till later in the promotion though I might be wrong. She was mostly money at first if I'm remembering right.

Another New Japan handheld show, LOTS of good stuff on this one - that main event, for one, even if Norton does make himself woozy by blading too hard, El Samurai vs Dean Malenko in a great technical bout and a wild 6-man tag with Chono, Hashimoto & Iizuk vs Heisei Ishingun. Also, the 2nd match is pretty interesting, Kojima, Otani, Tenzan & Nagata as young lions;

NJPW, "SUPER GRADE TAG LEAGUE II", 1992.10.18
Makahari Hall, Chiba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQN5J8RY24

1. Black Cat vs Koji Kanemoto
2. Satoshi Kojima & Shinjiro Otani vs Hiroyoshi Tezan & Yuji Nagata
3. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Pegasus Kid vs Norio Honaga & Hiro Saito
4. Bam Bam Bigelow & Super Strong Machine vs Jim Neidhart & Z-Man
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: El Samurai (c) vs Dean Malenko
6. Tatsumi Fujinami & Manabu Nakanishi vs Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki
7. Riki Choshu vs Tony Halme
8. Masahiro Chono, Shinya Hashimoto & Takashi Iizuka vs Heisei Ishingun (Akitoshi Saito, Kengo Kimura & Shiro Koshinaka)
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Scott Norton

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Another New Japan handheld show, LOTS of good stuff on this one - that main event, for one, even if Norton does make himself woozy by blading too hard, El Samurai vs Dean Malenko in a great technical bout and a wild 6-man tag with Chono, Hashimoto & Iizuk vs Heisei Ishingun. Also, the 2nd match is pretty interesting, Kojima, Otani, Tenzan & Nagata as young lions;

NJPW, "SUPER GRADE TAG LEAGUE II", 1992.10.18
Makahari Hall, Chiba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQN5J8RY24

1. Black Cat vs Koji Kanemoto
2. Satoshi Kojima & Shinjiro Otani vs Hiroyoshi Tezan & Yuji Nagata
3. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Pegasus Kid vs Norio Honaga & Hiro Saito
4. Bam Bam Bigelow & Super Strong Machine vs Jim Neidhart & Z-Man
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: El Samurai (c) vs Dean Malenko
6. Tatsumi Fujinami & Manabu Nakanishi vs Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki
7. Riki Choshu vs Tony Halme
8. Masahiro Chono, Shinya Hashimoto & Takashi Iizuka vs Heisei Ishingun (Akitoshi Saito, Kengo Kimura & Shiro Koshinaka)
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Scott Norton

Aw hell Manabu Nakanishi in his prime? Bam Bam Big Yellow against two in-ring pieces of junk? Norton vs Mutoh should be dope.

Aw hell Manabu Nakanishi in his prime? Bam Bam Big Yellow against two in-ring pieces of junk? Norton vs Mutoh should be dope.

Neidhart & Z-Man might just be one of the worst teams ever assembled. Thankfully, they're just fodder for Strong Machine & Bam Bam (who was always ridiculously over in Japan).

Seeing young Nakanishi is weird as hell, same goes for Iizuka - they're changed so much.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I feel like the only fan of Nakanishi.

Muscle Orchestra, baby.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also why is Roman Reigns in there? He's not anything special besides his sexiness.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, it just looks dumb. Doesn't matter what day.

Aiii

So not worth it
But it's a joke and stuff. It doesn't really matter who's on it.

Is it your avatar that stole your smile Sunny?

Top Bottom