• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

kiryogi

Banned
im2a37dnKcmBn.png

A world where songs are magic, and emotions are strong enough to form bonds.
A Story of love, emotional bonds and the frailty of existence.
Delta and Casty fight to protect humanity against the Sharl, a mysterious new life form that has suddenly appeared and begun abducting the people of Orei. The second party, Earthes and Ion, fight under the belief that humans and the Sharl should be able to coexist.

basic.png

• Platform: PlayStation 3
  • Genre: 7th Dimension RPG
  • Character Design: NTNY
  • Release Dates:
    Japan: March 6th 2014
    North America: September 23th 2014
    Europe: September 26th 2014​
  • Language: English/Japanese Audio
  • Developer: Gust
  • Publisher: Koei Tecmo
  • MSRP: $49.99
  • Total Command: Akira Tsuchiya

• Zapping system: Use the Zapping system to travel from Delta and Casty’s perspective to Earthes and Ion’s seeing the story from these different viewpoints will show you the real truth.
  • Battles: Defeat enemies using Skills and Song Magic! The heroes must hold the line and can attack, use items, and unleash powerful Skills. If you can Guard with the right timing during an enemy turn, the damage inflicted will be reduced. Use a variety of attacks and Skills to raise Harmonic Level and activate powerful Song Magic!

Battle Tutorial by RurouniZel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQZLCVfFZfg
    battle.png
  • Song Magic: 15 musical masterpieces bring out the grandeur in this world! Known for their achievements in other Akira Tsuchiya projects, the musicians Akiko Shikata, Haruka Shimotsuki, Noriko Mitose, and Yoshino Nanjo join others in creating numerous songs to adorn the game’s already incredible orchestral score. Also featuring russian songstress, ORIGA.
    songmagic.png
  • Purification: The Purification Ceremony is a divine ritual in which the hero and heroine cleanse their bodies to power themselves up. During the Purification process, both of them are imbued with special crystals, called Genometrica Crystals, that relays their thoughts to one another. With the aid of these crystals, they can share their memories and thoughts as one.
    puri.png
  • Genometrics: Genometrics represents the character’s inner self, or the world within their minds. The heroes are able to dive into these worlds within their psyches and help them deal with the various concerns they have.
    geno.png
  • Synthesis Shop: You will find Synthesis Shops in cities where you can combine items to create new ones. You can synthesize healing items, equipment, and more.
    synth.png

must.png

Ciel nosurge Summary

A very indepth summary with pictures and movies for Ciel nosurge (Premium experience!)

Ciel nosurge Genometric Concert Digest movies (not subbed, good supplement to the above)
Chapters 1-4
Chapters 5-8
Chapters 9-12
Ciel nosurge Complete credits roll "La Ciel"

You might hear someone say that you don't need to know anything about Ciel to be able to fully enjoy Ar. This is a lie. Ar nosurge is a direct sequel to Ciel nosurge, the character cast in Ar nosurge is 90% returning characters from Ciel. The events and character building that happens in Ciel are incredibly important to understand what is happening in Ar and to care about the characters. Things WILL be confusing and major plot points WILL be lost on you if you play Ar without knowing anything about Ciel.
I was slightly bad about this forgetting that I did read this summary before diving into Ar nosurge myself. There is a ingame glossary to help further understand, but really. Read this summary. Also don’t be stubborn about waiting for Ciel, it’s either not coming out or a long ways if it ever happens. I recommend having played at least Ar Tonelico 1 and maybe 3 as well for maximum enjoyment. Well, Ar Tonelico 1 mainly, look for a video playthru of 3 and save yourself the trouble.

ALSO! There is one miss-able bronze trophy!

tonelico.png

What is Ar Tonelico?

USgamer "I Shall Give You Endless Earth: An Ar Tonelico Retrospective"

IGN Ar Tonelico II Review "Ar Tonelico II is also, unequivocally, one of the best PlayStation 2 RPGs on the system. In fact, it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Mull that over for a second: a game, featuring scenes and situations that I was loathe to expose anyone who knew me to, is also something that I'll recommend to anyone who was a fan of the old 16- and 32-bit RPGs of yore."

Aeana on NeoGAF "AT2 has a really, really neat battle system, and that was the primary draw for me. Really enjoyed actually playing the game."

OMG, Ar Tonelico, that game with that DIRTY DIRTY SCENE?!
The true meaning behind the Life Extending Agent Scene as explained by Tsuchiya

trailer.png

Choose your own adventure text novel "Ar nosurge Proto" by Gust translated by aquagon7 of A Reyvateil’s Melody. Takes place inbetween Ciel nosurge and Ar nosurge

The languages of the Surge Concerto World

Emotional Song Pact(Keihansoukaishi) language guide
REON4213 language guide

Official Trailer
Koei Tecmo 9/11 Livestream playthrough
Koei Tecmo 9/18 Livestream playthrough
EXA_PICO Universe wiki (Wiki to everything in the worlds of Surge Concerto and Ar Tonelico)
Interview: The mind behind Ar nosurge (Part 1)
Interview: The mind behind Ar nosurge (Part 2)
Purification Gameplay
Song Magic Gameplay
Genometrics Gameplay
Synthesis (Note, Dub audio does not have singing, JP track will though)
Class::EXPAJA

Surge in the West campaign, let’s bring Ciel to the west next!
https://www.facebook.com/surgeinthewest

ib1kTLsVo5rgMi.png

And the winner of this #exapicopassion giveaway is...

@Pekolachi ! on Twitter!

Their entry:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sceb4p

Extremely passionate and creative! Not to mention at the 11th hour! There was a lot of very passionate fans out there, but this stood out the most.

One of the more amusing runner ups, for you JYB fans out there!
@kevin6049

Thanks for all those entered, stay tuned in the future for my giveaway of Ar Tonelico 2 North American version and Ar Tonelico Fanbook for the release of the Ar Tonelico 2 Retranslation. Follow @kiryogi on twitter or watch for it here on NeoGAF :D

Special thanks to Mandoric for helping with visuals and typesetting!

yaffi

Very nice OT, subscribed!

Still can't decide if I should get the PS3 version. They might localize the Vita one as well.

fedexpeon

Banned
I really need to stop preordering games.
I didn't expect Destiny to be so good...now my backlog contains Escha/Logy, ToX2, SAO, and this game...all within one month =(.

Fuck you NISA for removing the option to import games from your US store and giving us a half assed Euro store. Being overpriced was shitty enough but now you offer things exclusively to the US?

Question: How much off-putting fan service does this game have?
This isn't an answerable question because everybody has different levels.

What is off putting to you may not be off putting to 10 other people. Look up some videos and judge for yourself.

Akzel

Never played that serie before. Still, I'm interested. I've pre-ordered the Limited Edition. ^_^

Acosta

Can I play this and play Ar Tonellico after it without risk? I have the trilogy on hold.

I would have loved to play Ciel No Surge, still wondering if I should try the offline version, but being in Japanese I think I won't get much from it.

BTW Shikata is a goddess, we are not worthy of her music.

Imouto

Banned
I've been waiting forever for this game. Ar tonelico 3 was kinda off-putting, but I still managed to finish it just because I love the series. Now this one looks like what I wish At3 were.

Very nice OT.

Marche90

Ugh, I want to buy it, but there's the risk of running out of cash for the rest of the month.

On the other hand, I can try to wait until next month, but I'll be running the risk of not finding a single physical copy (these types of games run out of stock real quick here)

Decisions, decisions...

Ravage

Very nice OT, subscribed!

Still can't decide if I should get the PS3 version. They might localize the Vita one as well.

I'm on the same boat as you, but I fear KT will be using sales of the PS3 version to justify bringing over Ar+ and Ciel.

BluWacky

I have pre-ordered this.

I am sure it's going to be irritatingly fanservice-y (nice job on the Purification screenshots not showing the female character from the neck down so you can't see her in her bikini like you do in game, and it doesn't capture the cheesy dialogue like "do you have a foot fetish or something?"), but there are so many good ideas in the Ar Tonelico series that I am hoping I'll just roll my eyes and get on with it. The music is brilliant, the battle system intriguing, and I'm sure that behind the aesthetic there will be an interesting story.

Given my misgivings, though, I did find this character introduction to be wryly amusing. A young girl character in an overly revealing outfit whose dialogue sample is "No! No! No! No! No! No! No!" is probably quite appropriate...

Marche90

Can anyone tell me what a '7th Dimension RPG' is?

Let's just roll with it

no fucking clue

Question: How much off-putting fan service does this game have?

I have pre-ordered this.

I am sure it's going to be irritatingly fanservice-y (nice job on the Purification screenshots not showing the female character from the neck down so you can't see her in her bikini like you do in game, and it doesn't capture the cheesy dialogue like "do you have a foot fetish or something?"), but there are so many good ideas in the Ar Tonelico series that I am hoping I'll just roll my eyes and get on with it. The music is brilliant, the battle system intriguing, and I'm sure that behind the aesthetic there will be an interesting story.

Given my misgivings, though, I did find this character introduction to be wryly amusing. A young girl character in an overly revealing outfit whose dialogue sample is "No! No! No! No! No! No! No!" is probably quite appropriate...

yyyeah, I don't this one's for you, pal :/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Paja means fap in Spanish. The subtitle would be something like Ex-fap class. That's all I have to say.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Paja means fap in Spanish. The subtitle would be something like Ex-fap class. That's all I have to say.
Personally I keep thinking ex pajamas when I see this on the front page.

Haven't played an AT game since 1 but interested in the Vita port for this game.

I liked this game a hell of a lot at its JP release. Platinumed it, it was really easy to achieve.
I hope you'll all like it too! It's fun to play :)

kiryogi

Banned
Thank you kind poster. Sucks to miss out on a few things, but I wont be waiting for it (if it even does) come over.

Missing costumes at most, the additional purification characters were available prior on PS3. There are some neat costumes though. . .There's tribute costumes to Misha and Aurica for Casty and Ion respectively.

Xenus

Crap this is so soon? I have a giant backlog I've been building but I want to buy this and Fairy Fencer F first week for dev support. I might not get to playing it till mid next year though unless I take some vacation from work to hack away at my backlog :(

Imouto

Banned
Thank you kind poster. Sucks to miss out on a few things, but I wont be waiting for it (if it even does) come over.

Well, I'm planning to double dip when it comes out to the Vita anyway :p.

Forgot to ask, does this game still retain the usage of Hymnos throughout the game? I tried to learn it back then but Qoga made me lose motivation to practice. I want to get back to it with this game.

Missing costumes at most, the additional purification characters were available prior on PS3.

Through DLC? Are there many DLCs in this one?

Hubb

Actually it comes out in 3 weeks

Here's the official page for the additional content
http://social.gust.co.jp/pc/arnosurge/vita/add01.html

Looks like costumes, 3 additional purification characters, 2 of the ps3 version's paid dlc packs, and some adjustments to features/systems.

Yeah good to see it coming out, I still don't expect it to come over for 2+ years. Maybe I am wrong, but the Atelier games seems to follow at least 2 years between PS3 release to Vita port.

Thanks for the link.

Wow, I had no idea they were doing a Vita port. I'll get the PS3 version, but depending how much I enjoy it, Vita too.
I have the AT trilogy in my backlog but might just start the 3rd game. I wish we got HD remasters or a PS2 classics release.

EDIT:
I'm so blown I missed my chance to get the LE. Not worth ebay prices in my eyes though..

Imouto

Banned
Wow, I had no idea they were doing a Vita port. I'll get the PS3 version, but depending how much I enjoy it, Vita too.
I have the AT trilogy in my backlog but might just start the 3rd game. I wish we got HD remasters or a PS2 classics release.

Don't do it. It may ruin your enjoyment of the whole franchise. Better just start with the first game while waiting for the re-translating team to wrap up their project with the 2nd game and play it later. You can't play the 3rd one without playing the first two, mainly because you can't endure it if you have no love for Ar tonelico.

Top Bottom