• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S5 |OT| of Phrasing, Gurpgork, Boop! & the Danger Zone - Mondays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
map.gif

I find the smile and expression more funnily disturbing than the whole whipped cream bikini.

Grisby

Finally got to watch it this morning. Thought it was better than last weeks episode. Archer looked freaking swag in that suit.

My favorite bits had to be Mallory shaking her drink at Lana and the phone gag tone. Good stuff.

And Babu is still aaaaaalive!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"That phone....was Woodhouse's" lol.

I'm done with one-note Pam though. Also, we all know they're not gonna sell a single ounce of the stuff, right? Lol. They've lost and or given away like, 9 million bucks worth of the stuff. And another million from Pamalot

big ander

"That phone....was Woodhouse's" lol.

I'm done with one-note Pam though. Also, we all know they're not gonna sell a single ounce of the stuff, right? Lol. They've lost and or given away like, 9 million bucks worth of the stuff. And another million from Pamalot

Alright yeah I didn't feel like being the one voice but now that you've said it: already tired of Pam this season. Didn't enjoy last night much because she was featured so prominently and just...not really being funny. Her addiction stuff was great in the one episode. so I hope they find a way to make the returns on this plot not diminish as much with each episode.

arab

totally agree with the pam stuff. i do not see where the pam love from the previous page came from. all she does is eat their cocaine with no ramifications. she isn't particularly funny nor does she fulfill a specific niche in the show at this point in the series. hope she improves but as it stands now, she's just annoying and unfunny.

episode 3 was weak in my opinion because any conflict that arose was so easily swept under the rug. i'm hoping the sum is better than the parts in terms of this season, but this was a low point in the show

I've been enjoying the Cokey Monster so far, but I hope they have more material for Krieger, Cyril, and Ray coming up. The show works best for me when they're constantly mixing up the character partnerships and playing different people off of each other.

MNC

I love the Vice concept, but this episode didn't do a lot for me. Yakuza Archer was great, but I'm kind of sick of Pam already. More Ray and Krieger please!

Red

Pam is "Legs" across the whole season. That was her at her worst and it's being beaten to death. Terrible.

Everything else is great. It's good Krieger doesn't get much screen time. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Keep it short and sweet, leave us wanting more.

I hope the promo for next week signals the end of addict-Pam.

Archer doesn't play well when it goes obvious. Mallory's alcoholism, for example, makes for good gags (this episode is proof), but it is easily deflated when played up (see Space Race). Pam's addiction is hitting the same wall. Cheryl's singing won't keep up unless something comes of it. The writers are clever, and they manage to balance new and old most of the time, but it's always the unexpected that gets the biggest laugh.

Shaneus

Archer doesn't play well when it goes obvious. Mallory's alcoholism, for example, makes for good gags (this episode is proof), but it is easily deflated when played up (see Space Race). Pam's addiction is hitting the same wall. Cheryl's singing won't keep up unless something comes of it. The writers are clever, and they manage to balance new and old most of the time, but it's always the unexpected that gets the biggest laugh.
Hard to argue with anything there. I was relieved seeing some of the opinions on this page, I thought I was the only one who thought the whole Pam thing is being overused far too much. Hell, I found her annoying half-way through the second episode.

Red

Hard to argue with anything there. I was relieved seeing some of the opinions on this page, I thought I was the only one who thought the whole Pam thing is being overused far too much. Hell, I found her annoying half-way through the second episode.
Yup. It's standard slapstick, but it lacks impact in an animated show, and it flattens even more when you run the same gag five times within one episode.

Archer has managed to rekindle some stale jokes through escalation, but those don't get used so often ("Lana. Lana. Lanaaaaa!", tinnitus, "Danger Zone," Brett getting shot, etc). Maybe Pam's building to something. I hope the payoff is better than the build.

This is one of the few gags that made the episode worthwhile. We're only three episodes in, but the writing for this season seems lazier, and many jokes feel overused or obvious. So far, most of Malory's lines fall flat as well.

I was looking forward to the coke angle, but they're really wearing it out quickly. Hope the season takes a turn for the better.

The running tinnitus joke gag isn't my problem. I actually like it, but I do agree with you on the writing being lazy this season so far.

BTW, I need to DL archer ringtones again. Any free sites out there?

bndadm

Pam is "Legs" across the whole season. That was her at her worst and it's being beaten to death. Terrible.

Holy hell man, you have articulated my problem with Pam since season 4 better than I could have. Legs was the exact episode, then compounded in that restaurant episode and the season finale.

The cocaine hasn't bothered me as much but I am wondering when they will ever be successful again at anything.

bndadm

Can someone refresh my memory with Legs? I can't remember at all what happened (specifically).
A specific example was coming into the surgery drinking a 6 pack and actually losing/storing the beers in Ray's open torso while operating.

It never fit the character.

Who wants the best news? Regardless of your answer, here's some:

"As of 4:55am Eastern Standard Time, if you go here http://www.teletoonatnight.com/video/ and then go to 'Archer, Season 5 Episode 3', they'll actually show you episode four that's supposed to air on Monday".
Not sure when it's going to be going down, but this is a Canadian station, think Adult Swim but further north. Enjoy!

It's not a problem if people want to watch early, just please remember to spoiler tag discussion if you want to talk about it before Ep 4 airs on Monday. Thank you.

Who wants the best news? Regardless of your answer, here's some:

"As of 4:55am Eastern Standard Time, if you go here http://www.teletoonatnight.com/video/ and then go to 'Archer, Season 5 Episode 3', they'll actually show you episode four that's supposed to air on Monday".
Not sure when it's going to be going down, but this is a Canadian station, think Adult Swim but further north. Enjoy!

I was able to watch it with Hola. Great find MrWakes!

Owari

I feel like this season is just retiring to old episode plot lines/gags waaaay too much. And not even the good ones. Conway Stern should have much more than a mention.

Pretty weak season so far, hope it turns around.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not feeling this season so far. It's gone from being a must watch to a "whenever I have the time" show for me. Hopefully things pick up soon.

Shaneus

Yup. There was a lot of promise in that first episode and the second one was good (if inconsistent) but yeah, I thought there'd be a lot more thus far given the new direction.

Maybe they did blow their load too early with that trailer at the end of E01 ;)

I don't want to watch it yet, but I'd love to hear how it compares to the previous two episodes.

I'd say it's the best of the season so far.

Those of you getting tired of Pam will probably be happy. I mean, she's in it, and she's a big focus of the episode again, but her screen time is cut down considerably from the previous two eps.

Agent Holly is most definitely a weirdo. Should make for a fun villain for the season.

I can usually stick through show's bad episodes/seasons and see the good in them but hell, Archer Vice could have been so so so great and it's ended up being a resounded "eh". I'm really hoping it picks up somehow.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't know whether it was the day change, but this series' ratings are already below last series' lowest point

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'd say it's the best of the season so far.

Those of you getting tired of Pam will probably be happy. I mean, she's in it, and she's a big focus of the episode again, but her screen time is cut down considerably from the previous two eps.

Agent Holly is most definitely a weirdo. Should make for a fun villain for the season.

Second this. Show is back to form with this episode. I laughed almost the whole way through.

Both @luckyyates and @ambercnash will be live tweeting during tonight's episode. They're typically filthy and funny in their commentary.

KingK

Not feeling this season so far. It's gone from being a must watch to a "whenever I have the time" show for me. Hopefully things pick up soon.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It hasn't been bad or un-watchable or anything, but not up to par with the previous seasons at all. I'll stick with it though. First episode was really good I thought. The Bunsen Honeydew thing got me really good because I had been trying to remember his name the whole episode and it was on the tip of my tongue (wow, I never realized how much we rely on idioms).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom