• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any games you played/finished and enjoyed that were considered "woke"?

Killjoy-NL

The Concord Beta.

On a more serious note:

I guess TLOU2 can be considered Woke?
It had some issues with the pacing and chronological order of the story, but other than that I thought it was an outstanding game.

Suppose I could throw in OW(2) and Apex Legends as well?
Although I haven't really played Apex nearly as much as OW, BR just can't keep my attention for too long.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TLOU2 is the only one that comes to mind. I finished it and enjoyed it overall despite its issues. Would rather Druckmann had gone in a different direction with the story, and Abby was ridiculous, but it’s obviously a well-made game and tried to make a thoughtful point about revenge.

Outer Worlds I did not finish. It was way over the top with its agenda to the point where I died of cringe and checked out, and wasn’t a good enough game in other respects to put up with it. Haven’t played an Obsidian game since.

I did not bother with Spider-Man 2 or LiS2 or GVH. Easy enough to avoid that sort of thing.

SkylineRKR

TLOU 2

I think its a game with brilliant set pieces, en very engaging gameplay. The problem I had with it is how characters were portrayed. The one white guy in the bar is typical white trash. Ellie is a lesbian that hooks up with a jewish girl who happens to be pregnant from an asian guy. Then you have the trans kid around as well. The list goes on but it clearly checks a lot of boxes.

I have skipped most Sony AAA games this gen. I checked out quite early this gen, about 5 hours into Horizon 2 and haven't played another exclusive since. Not because of DEI actually, they are just too safe and unoriginal.

rkofan87

Gold Member
TLOU2 is the only one that comes to mind. I finished it and enjoyed it overall despite its issues. Would rather Druckmann had gone in a different direction with the story, and Abby was ridiculous, but it’s obviously a well-made game and tried to make a thoughtful point about revenge.

Outer Worlds I did not finish. It was way over the top with its agenda to the point where I died of cringe and checked out, and wasn’t a good enough game in other respects to put up with it. Haven’t played an Obsidian game since.

I did not bother with Spider-Man 2 or LiS2 or GVH. Easy enough to avoid that sort of thing.
outer worlds woke wtf i did not get that all i was on the evil path so

Roberts

If it means games with progressive ideas, then, yeah, tons. Psychonauts 2 is one of my favourite games. So, is Starfield.

I recently had a great time playing Dungeons of Hinterberg. I also just completed Creature of Ava. While I wouldn't say I loved it, I did enjoy it in that 6.5/10 way, and, oh boy, it certainly meets the woke criteria. Generally, I don't experience any adverse reactions like warts, pimples, or diarrhea when I play a game that's considered woke.

MayauMiao

Haven't and I didn't even play TLoU 2 despite having a borrowed copy of the game sitting there waiting to be played.

The woke aspect just kills the motivation for me to play it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
outer worlds woke wtf i did not get that all i was on the evil path so
It permeates everything about the game. The male characters are all incompetent and evil and run oppressive robber baron style early stage capitalistic corporations. The female characters are all strong and independent engineers and doctors and are morally righteous and form enlightened communes. The main relationship quest in the game is helping an asexual woman figure out her asexual lesbian romance with another character.

Might not be as noticeable on an evil path though!

rkofan87

Gold Member
It permeates everything about the game. The male characters are all incompetent and evil and run oppressive robber baron style early stage capitalistic corporations. The female characters are all strong and independent engineers and doctors and are morally righteous and form enlightened communes. The main relationship quest in the game is helping an asexual woman figure out her asexual lesbian romance with another character.

Might not be as noticeable on an evil path though!
not all women are good if you go corporate your boss is a women and in the first quest the women leader of the deserters is nuts and using the dead as mulch for the garden.

What is "woke"? I've never heard of this before.

Nobody seems to know the real term since it's often used for games certain people don't like.
Women as protagonists? Woke.
Black characters as protagonists? Woke.
Black characters in a supposed white-only game (ie. 1800s medieval European game)? Woke.
Women not being too sexy? Woke.
Women in a fictional military (ie. colonial marines on some space)? Woke.
A woman that is strong but looks like a lesbian or transgender? Believe it or not, woke. (TLOU2's Abby)

The list goes on.
I play games that I feel I might enjoy or they click with me.
For example, Dust-born didn't click with me and it was not my style. I simply chose not to buy it for those reasons, not because it's 'woke'. The same thing applies to Saints Row (reboot) and so on.

Last edited:

linkroi

It depends, i hate it when it's obviously made for a "modern audience" in mind, but i did enjoy some games considered woke, like Forbidden west, especially Burning Shores dlc.

Everything isn't black and white, there's chinese inbetween -_-/.

Still curious about Gow Ragnarok, i will probably buy it day 1 on steam, if the port is good.

kunonabi

Nothing I can think of. I mean I suppose ghost of tsushima had those two side quests but I wouldn't call the whole game woke as bad as they were.

Oddly enough, Xenoblade X had it been written by western hacks probably would have been but all the social themes and concepts were handled tastefully and thoughtfully so it ended up as just good classic Sci-fi. I suppose the one side quest was a little lazy about it going for a simple gotcha but I think it still worked anyway.

fDAKQcR.png
I really like how he woke up

Denton

Life is Strange 2 and Tell Me Why can be a bit cringe at times, but overall they were enjoyable enough.

SHA

- TLOU2, big time
- Life is strange games

And probably a few others. Whether a game is woke or not is not really indicative of its quality imho (controversial opinion I know), and it’s nice to have diversity in characters and situation sometimes, unless you always want to play the same thing. In that case you are an idiot.
Life is strange games specifically, some dialogs get ahead of themselves and loosen the games taste and make me feel this isn't a game anymore.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
What is "woke"? I've never heard of this before.
Woke agenda promotes feminism, alphabet and transformers ppl and all kinds of leftists propaganda for example no borders for countries, denies nuclear families, manly behaviour in guys, feminine behaviour in women, refuses to admit major differences between male and female(physical and mental ones), promotes abortion on demand, different treatment of ppl on the basis on their skin color and what they got between their legs(instead of judging them for how they act).

I could write u 10 more paragraphs, in entertainment/games examples are often showing men as weak/silly/laughable, and showing women as superheros/ultimate wise w/o any weakness, it normalises hook up culture and laughs at ppl(yes, even women) who's priority are children/family, showing them in bad light.

Woke devs usually uglify their female characters, make them masculine/overweight, sometimes even obese, or old, basically less sexy vs the actresses who were supposed to portait them, then they will lie tru their teeth about it altho sometimes they actually admit it( one example was interview with HZD dev who admited they on purposes wanted to make aloy not sexy).

Another big thing about wokeness is so called DEI hires, aka hiring ppl(in companies, and even into goverment) not on the basis of merit but rather quotas of being minority or not males(including identify as it, happens even to FBI where they officially recruit only women in their ads), which obviously is terrible for efficiency of company/society and leads to craziness like visibly pregnat police officer having to 1on1 fight a suspect on duty (u can see in the vid this time she got lucky coz random citizen helped and basically uprehended the criminal on his own).

DEI hires in gaming industry lead to balooning up budget of games(studios focus on woke agenda and their devs perform much worse, instead of focusing on top quality of the product- u can even see it nowadays in so many games, especially big AAA western dev studios. Allmost in all cases such a game bombs/doesnt break even which results in lay offs/studio clousure/destroying the ip.

There is tons of info about wokeness on the net, what i wrote isnt even tip of an iceberg. When u start noticing it u cant unsee it anymore, its like u finally start to understand all kinds of seemingly weird/crazy behaviours, including celebs/holywood actors who usually promote it big time too.

Wokeness is deeply ingrained in both current MS and sony- CEO is hermen hulst, guy responsible for HZD who praises concord devs
"It depends on what the studio needs to grow and succeed, and what makes sense for both sides. We have been working closely with Firewalk for a while now – we have both really enjoyed that process, and we have incredible confidence in what they are creating. So this felt like a very natural step."
same article, Harold Ryan,boss of concord dev studio sign praises for hulst
"We've been fortunate to be able to establish our own independent culture and development philosophy, thanks in large part to the support of our partners, both at ProbablyMonsters and PlayStation," he says. "From the very beginning, Hermen and the entire leadership group at PlayStation have been fantastic advocates for our team, our culture, and our vision. Joining PlayStation Studios will only further empower our unique approach to making games."

SHA

I like Borderlands 3 so much but aren't those commercials woke enough? and the writings on the walls? cause it's to me.

DruWepro

Banned
Concord.

I ain't got love for contrived wokeness but the gameplay got me wanting more.
Gonna buy and download later if it releases at midnight. I don't need it to last forever neither. As long as I get my decent time's worth, Im good.
the gameplay is just so damn good

John Bilbo

I was just getting back into gaming when Gone Home came out. It is not so much a game but a story you put together by exploring a house. The way the story is told was very impressive to me.

Life is Strange is another one from the same era. The gameplay is simple but the way you get to choose the outcome of different situations was interesting.

Some games lead with there woke-ness.

Others sprinkle it in. I usually can stomach the sprinkles.

Anyway not a game But I'm watching Batman Caped Crusader, the woke shit is annoying but I'm a Batman fanboy

ShadowNate

Probably "Night in the Woods". It is political, but it's also very cute, with good art and excellent music. And the dialogue was fine. Witty even. And some of the characters were relatable.

That's about the level of this I can manage --and also my allowed dosage per decade.

Too bad two of the (three) main developers proved to be super cunts and (along with Quinn) were the catalyst for the tragic end for Holowka.

Kurotri

Tlou 2 is one of my fav games, and that includes the story and even Abby. Sorry guys.

Same thing for Alan Wake 2. That one in particular is insane to me, it's a single line which isn't even THAT bad, it could've fit into any game in the early 2000s and no one would've cared.

GoW Ragnarok as well, I guess? Forbidden West too.

Elfstar

Well I guess you can't be a Sony fan without having to gobble up and enjoy that kind of stuff these days huh?

Kikorin

TLOU 2, especially because of its gameplay, story to me was too long and pretty uninteresting.

Life is Strange, love this series and can't wait for the new one.

Alan Wake 2, not woke to me, but if is considered beeing part of the woke wave, I still loved it.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Elden Ring? :goog_relieved:
Definitely not, and im huge antifeminist/antiwokeist here, as u can probably check by my post history ;P
Only thing i could say was woke in it was body type a/b instead of male/female at character creation screen but compared to actual annoying and super cringy stuff in other games its relatively harmless.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Definitely not, and im huge antifeminist/antiwokeist here, as u can probably check by my post history ;P
Only thing i could say was woke in it was body type a/b instead of male/female at character creation screen but compared to actual annoying and super cringy stuff in other games its relatively harmless.
"My lord brother... would you be my promised consort? uwu"

Nah I'm just kidding. But gotta be honest, the final boss being genderfluid sure got me off guard.

Toots

Gold Member
Sonic.
That filthy little communist going against free entrepreurship, breaking robots and factories assets of genius scientist, leading the field in advanced robotics, who built his business alone and just wants to exploit some natural energy he found as us westerners usually do.

Ulysses 31

Not that I've played it yet but isn't Baldur's Gate 3 woke too?

Everyone's Bi and respects your pronouns and NPCs can see your gender from far away. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Despite that, the story narration is generally good enough to overlook these things I hear.

ShadowNate

This is what I found when I searched what makes spiderman 2 woke

I don't get it.

But then again this is an account with 9 subs. And probably baiting for views.

There are far better arguments on why SM2 is considered woke -- though, I haven't played the game, and I think I'll stick with just the first one.

Top Bottom